View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 9:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Is Chris Houston a probowl caliber DB? 

Yes 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
NO 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 28

Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Is Chris Houston a probowl caliber DB?
m2karateman wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Is Chris Houston one of the best CBs in the NFC?

He's far superior over what we've had during the Millen experience but he's just not an elite / top 10 CB.

Completely agree. I was a big proponent of the Lions signing Houston this off-season. Not because I thought he was a premier level talent, but because I feel he is consistent, works well in Gunner's defense and was the best bang for the buck CB on the market. He doesn't have the skills of scrabble or Revis, but his pricetag makes him a much better value. He is playing now like he did in his first season in Atlanta.

Good point! The value factor (what we're paying vs what we're getting) can't be over looked. Can you imagine if we'd have entered the Asomugha sweepstakes and signed him?

We're getting a bargain. Thank you Mr. Mayhew! :thumbsup:

November 1st, 2011, 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

I think it depends on how you look at it. He's been targeted a league high 61 times, yet only gave up 32 receptions and 1 penalty.

The average is 10.3 per completion with 108 total yards YAC, or 3.3 yards per reception after the catch, so they're not going anywhere when they do catch it.

He's also only given up 2 TD's. League leader or loser is Brandon Flowers with 7 in only 46 targets with 24 receptions.

QB's have only a 51.8 QB rating against him, with only 9 CB's being lower. Only Revis is single digit at 2.4 Nnamdi is giving up 62.4 rating. In all, 92 other CB's are giving up a higher rating.

Eric Wright is giving up 71.6 with 55 targets and 32 receptions and 2 TD's against. Aaron Berry is giving up 85.4 rating with 30 targets and 18 receptions and 1 TD.

Pass coverage only:
Houston is ranked 17th out of 102
Berry is ranked 10th out of 102
Wright is ranked 72nd out of 102

Overall, which includes pass rushing, pass coverage and run defense:
Houston is ranked 16th out of 102
Berry is ranked 19th out of 102
Wright is ranked 60th out of 102

Yeah, I think we got great value with what we paid for Houston

Last edited by njroar on November 2nd, 2011, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 2nd, 2011, 12:44 am
Position Coach

thanks for adding that, njroar

November 2nd, 2011, 1:10 am

To round out secondary...

Amari Spievey is giving up 56.1 passer rating which is 17th out of 89.
Louis Delmas is giving up 113.8 passer rating which is 70th out of 89.

Run defense is killing both of them in overall rankings. Delmas is 44th and Amari is 87th.

Pass coverage only, Delmas is 6th and Amari is 68th. I think Delmas's 3 pass defenses are counting higher than Amari's 3 interceptions, although Amari is giving up a 16.5 yard average per reception against him. He also has 8 missed tackles compared to 7 for Delmas. Delmas also has 15 solo tackles compared to 5 for Amari.

Just shows that stats don't show everything, but there is definitely room for improvement.

November 2nd, 2011, 1:52 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I love the statistic NJ. THe one that confuses me is the solo tackles. Im assuming that is an Avg per game, because Ive been tracking Amari's stats and he has individual games with more tackles than that.

November 2nd, 2011, 3:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

I think its specific defensive stops, not regular tackles. So maybe tackles in coverage as opposed to tackling on a run.

November 2nd, 2011, 3:15 pm
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
I love the statistic NJ. THe one that confuses me is the solo tackles. Im assuming that is an Avg per game, because Ive been tracking Amari's stats and he has individual games with more tackles than that.

According to the Lions website, Spievey has 32 tackles, with 31 of them solo. So I don't know where the five tackles comes from. Perhaps that was related to strictly solo tackles against passes, and doesn't include solo tackles made in the running game?

November 2nd, 2011, 3:20 pm

Profootballfocus labels it as solo tackles that constitute an offensive failure. So they're tackles that prevent a first down or a sack. Not sure if its limited to 3rd down only, or if it includes turnovers. So I should probably have labeled it as stops instead of solo tackles.

November 2nd, 2011, 3:24 pm

Awesome, TY.

While I do think Amari still has plenty of room to improve, i think he can be a great starting safety for the next decade , even if he never makes it to a probowl. I think he just "gets it" and has the right skillset for the position, even if he was forced to play CB in College.

November 2nd, 2011, 3:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Position Coach

DJ-B wrote:
Awesome, TY.

While I do think Amari still has plenty of room to improve, i think he can be a great starting safety for the next decade , even if he never makes it to a probowl. I think he just "gets it" and has the right skillset for the position, even if he was forced to play CB in College.

just like Antrel Rolle

November 2nd, 2011, 8:02 pm

LionFan57 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Is Chris Houston one of the best CBs in the NFC?

He's far superior over what we've had during the Millen experience but he's just not an elite / top 10 CB.

Completely agree. I was a big proponent of the Lions signing Houston this off-season. Not because I thought he was a premier level talent, but because I feel he is consistent, works well in Gunner's defense and was the best bang for the buck CB on the market. He doesn't have the skills of scrabble or Revis, but his pricetag makes him a much better value. He is playing now like he did in his first season in Atlanta.

Good point! The value factor (what we're paying vs what we're getting) can't be over looked. Can you imagine if we'd have entered the Asomugha sweepstakes and signed him?

We're getting a bargain. Thank you Mr. Mayhew! :thumbsup:

I've been stressing for the longest time that I'd much rather see two quality #2 CBs on a team than overpaying one elite CB and having to settle for a guy that constantly gets picked on playing opposite him. It's just a more sound way to build a defense in my opinion, especially if there is a really good D-line in front of them. Houston's only major flaw that I see is that he either has lapses of concentration or he simply loses track of the ball at times.

November 3rd, 2011, 6:26 am
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
Awesome, TY.

just like Antrel Rolle

With Rolle it was a bit different. He suffered a serious knee injury his rookie season and had to make the switch to safety based on that. Amari simply didn't have the hips and quickness to be a corner at the NFL level. His play as a safety has improved dramatically just over a season, and I see plenty of room for him to improve even more. He has the potential to be a Pro Bowler. He needs to cut down on mental lapses.

November 3rd, 2011, 8:30 am

He's also getting himself in the proper position, as evidenced by his 3 interceptions. His problem has been biting on the play action, probably trying to be too aggressive, which has hurt him, and improper tackling technique. Its his first full season playing safety, so he should be able to improve going forward, lets hope he does it quickly.

November 3rd, 2011, 12:08 pm
Position Coach

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
Awesome, TY.

just like Antrel Rolle

With Rolle it was a bit different. He suffered a serious knee injury his rookie season and had to make the switch to safety based on that. Amari simply didn't have the hips and quickness to be a corner at the NFL level. His play as a safety has improved dramatically just over a season, and I see plenty of room for him to improve even more. He has the potential to be a Pro Bowler. He needs to cut down on mental lapses.

Didn't Amari have a nagging hip injury during his first training camp?

November 3rd, 2011, 1:29 pm

Killwill25 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
Awesome, TY.

just like Antrel Rolle

Didn't Amari have a nagging hip injury during his first training camp?

Gunther came out later and said that was really just Amari showing up to camp out of shape.

November 3rd, 2011, 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next