View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Do the Lions have the best secondary they've had in years? 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Re: Do the Lions have the best secondary they've had in year
Stats: Yes, this is the best secondary theyve had in years, how many years idk.

Lions rank 6th best in passing yards allowed per game. They are tied for first in average yards per pass attempt with the pittsburgh steelers allowing 5.8 ypa. Though a lot of that may be because of how bad the run defense is (ranked 30th).

The pass rush is tied for 3rd in the NFL with 24 sacks with Minnesota and 1st place has 26 NY Giants and 2nd has 25 BLT Ravens. Which also helps the secondary.

The scheme works for our guys. At least it has so far. But I think what we could really say is it's the best scheme/players we have had in many years.

And that starts up front with the Defensive line. Teams HAVE to run the ball to slow them down. Even then they are not getting big chunks because of a stubborn defensive "stop the pass" attitude.

And even with teams running at us constantly we are tied for 4th in team interceptions with 11.

It should also be noted that NO ONE has burned our secondary YET this year. Longest passing play against the Lions was 49 yards. Only two teams have done a better job. Dallas and San Diego (45 yards and 43 yards respectively).

Should be interesting to see If ARod can change that seeing he faces San Diego and Detroit in the next month.

November 2nd, 2011, 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Quote:
probably the best since ive been watching. about 20 years. its crazy to think how horrible EVERYBODY thought our secondary would be after we passed on CBs and Ss in the draft. Our LBs too

ill say best in atleast 20 years

there was at least one guy on here who though LB was the biggest weakness heading into the last offseason

November 2nd, 2011, 5:27 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
probably the best since ive been watching. about 20 years. its crazy to think how horrible EVERYBODY thought our secondary would be after we passed on CBs and Ss in the draft. Our LBs too

there was at least one guy on here who though LB was the biggest weakness heading into the last offseason

It was definitely a toss up between corner and linebacker. Remember, the Lions signed Houston, Wright and McDonald in the off-season. They also signed Vasher. The only corners on the roster under contract were Alfonso Smith and Aaron Berry, and whatever scrubs there were. Those two aren't starting material. As for linebacker, the only starter we had under contract was Levy. Carpenter had to be re-signed, and Durant and Tulloch had to be inked. Who else was left? Jordan Dizon? Ashlee Palmer? We essentially had just those three going into free agency (Doug Hogue was selected, but not signed).

If the Lions had NOT gotten Houston, Wright, Tulloch and Durant signed in free agency, our defense would be struggling much more than they are. And here's a heads up, we don't have any of those four signed for longer than two years.

Tulloch and Wright are on one year deals. So is Carpenter. Durant and Houston have two year deals, I believe. So the Lions are going to be in similar waters once this season is over.

November 2nd, 2011, 7:41 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Killwill25 wrote:

The Ss still concern me and it's actually Delmas more than Spievey. They both need to start wrapping up instead of dropping their heads ang trying to lower the shoulder boom on players. In coverage Delmas just hasn't shown he can cover the better receiving TEs and too often gives too big of a cushion when playing over the top coverage. Spievey looks out of position at times still but he is still making the transition to S and has shown improvement. Delmas is a great locker room guy and Rah-Rah guy but he hasn't really shown where he has improved from his rookie season, especially with a good D-line and two capable CBs. He's good and better than what was back there before he arrived but he needs to take that next step.

November 3rd, 2011, 6:40 am
RIP Killer

the freep wrote:
CB Eric Wright settling in, wants to stay with Lions
DAVE BIRKETT

Three months after signing a one-year deal with the Lions in the post-lockout free-agent market, Eric Wright might have found a home.

Wright, who has two interceptions in the Lions' first eight games, surpassing his 2010 total with the Browns, said he'd be open to signing a long-term deal with the Lions before he becomes a free agent again in March.

"It's obviously a place that I was comfortable with coming, especially in dealing with as many teams as I dealt with during free agency," Wright said Monday. "I picked this place because I liked it, I liked the draw of it, and now that everything is coming to fruition of what I expected it to be, it's even more satisfying. Obviously, if the situation is right, it's a place that I'd love to be."

Wright, whose one-year, $2-million deal came with a $1.5-million signing bonus, has been a key cog in the Lions' much-improved defense, which ranks second in the NFC with 11 interceptions.

He has started every game at right cornerback, typically slides inside on nickel situations and earned coach Jim Schwartz's praise Monday.

"(He) has played very well for us," Schwartz said. "Has tackled well for us, has played the pass, he's been good in zone, good in man. He's been a big, big pickup for us this year."

Along with Wright, the Lions have four other starters in the final year of their contracts: left tackle Jeff Backus, defensive end Cliff Avril and linebackers Stephen Tulloch and DeAndre Levy, who'll be a restricted free agent. Tulloch, like Wright, is playing on a one-year deal he signed this off-season.

"We'll just have to see" what happens, Wright said. "I'm just focused on playing these games and trying to continue to be a good piece to the puzzle, and I'm trying to make (Lions general manager Martin Mayhew) and those guys right by offering me and me coming here. I'm just trying to make the situation right. Week in and week out, I'm just trying to do my job. That's something that will work itself out."

I hope the Lions do sign him to an extension before free agency. As long as his demands aren't ridiculous, they'd be incredibly stupid not to.

November 3rd, 2011, 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2