View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 23rd, 2014, 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 suh schwartz and goodell meeting 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post suh schwartz and goodell meeting
Apparently roger said it went well and that suh plays within the rules, however I'm still confused on why they met and what was actually discussed. Can anyone clear out the smoke on this?

November 1st, 2011, 10:03 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: suh schwartz and goodell meeting
millam21 wrote:
Apparently roger said it went well and that suh plays within the rules, however I'm still confused on why they met and what was actually discussed. Can anyone clear out the smoke on this?

Welcome to LionBacker Millam. We're glad you're here.

The Detroit News wrote:
November 01. 2011 7:32PM.

After meeting, Lions' Suh understands 'how I need to play'

The Detroit News

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh said he was "very appreciative" of his opportunity to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday at league offices in New York.

Suh requested the meeting to discuss the growing perception that he is a dirty player. Suh has been fined three times during his 1.5-season NFL career, and before last week's Lions-Broncos game, the NFL's website promoted the game as "Good vs. Evil."

"I am very appreciative of the opportunity to sit and speak with the commissioner and his staff to clarify a few questions about my play, and the game in general," Suh wrote on his Facebook page. "I have gained a better understanding how I need to play the game to help my team win."

Suh's fines were for hits to quarterbacks that the league deemed excessive.

"I look forward to the rest of the season and doing everything we can to bring the Lombardi Trophy to Detroit," Suh also wrote.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz and team president Tom Lewand accompanied Suh for his meeting with Goodell.

"We appreciate that Ndamukong Suh, Coach Schwartz, and president Tom Lewand took the time to meet with us today," Goodell wrote on Twitter. "Ndamukong plays the game with great skill and passion and is a major reason for the Lions' success this year. We reviewed video showing that he has clearly made the adjustments to play consistently within the rules so that he can continue to help the team. We commend Ndamukong's leadership in taking the initiative to schedule today's meeting."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111101/SPO ... ing--Lions’-Suh-understands-‘how-I-need-to-play’#ixzz1cblr9t2F

When I read this I thought that both statements sounded to contrived and politically correct. Obviously the two sides are going to be professional & respectful of each other. But the final result (at least in this article) seems void of substance or anybody taking anything away in terms of 'blame / fault' or 'something that has to change'. Goodell's comment in particular seems... bland and carefully worded.

I can't say that I thought anything different would develop. It's not as if Goodell was going to announce that that they (NFL) were wrong and Suh should have never been fined, OR, that they were sorry for the "Good vs. Evil" tag. That's just not going to happen.

Maybe we'll get more tomorrow.

November 1st, 2011, 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

this is how i thought it would go. everyone is calling him dirty and now we have confirmation from the commisioner that they dont know s***. They looked at the hit together and praised his play. this was a great move for a team in our position. im sure the 4 of them laughed at the Falcon's alligations(which made them look worse than us). but this should be a good bye week. roddy white can take it in the face

November 2nd, 2011, 12:57 am
Walk On

Future so bright, we're gonna need sunglasses 8)

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

November 2nd, 2011, 8:05 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
After meeting, Goodell praises Suh’s “great skill and passion”
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 1, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
goodellsuh Getty Images

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh got his meeting with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell today, and afterward Goodell had nothing but praise for the player who has been decried by some as dirty.

“Ndamukong plays the game with great skill and passion and is a major reason for the Lions’ success this year,” Goodell wrote on Twitter.

The mere fact that Goodell chose to tweet about the meeting is interesting. Goodell isn’t particularly active on Twitter; the only time he tweeted in the entire month of October was when Al Davis died. So Goodell choosing to go on Twitter and address the fans directly about the Suh meeting suggests that Goodell wants to get in front of the story and put forward his praise of Suh, lest he be portrayed as cracking down on one of the NFL’s most dynamic and charismatic young players.

It was Suh who requested the meeting in the first place, saying he wanted to know why he’s been fined multiple times for hits on opposing quarterbacks. Suh wrote on Facebook after the meeting that he was pleased with what he heard from the commissioner.

For his part, Goodell said he thinks Suh has been playing the game the right way.

“We reviewed video showing that he has clearly made the adjustments to play consistently w/in the rules so that he can continue to help the team,” Goodell wrote. “We commend Ndamukong’s leadership in taking the initiative to schedule today’s meeting.”

As trips to the principal’s office go, it sounds like Suh’s was a success.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-passion/

And Florio's take on it:

PFT wrote:
League makes mistake by meeting with Suh
Posted by Mike Florio on November 1, 2011, 11:26 PM EDT

On Tuesday, a much-publicized meeting occurred between Commissioner Roger Goodell and Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Also attending the meeting were Jeff Fisher, former Titans coach and current advisor to the Competition Committee. Lions coach Jim Schwartz, who once worked for Fisher in Tennessee, also was expected to attend.

Peter King of SI.com wrote earlier today on Twitter that the league “really likes Suh” and “wants him to be a face-of-the-league type guy.” That’s fine. And it’s smart. But conducting a meeting with Suh under the guise of helping Suh understand the league’s rules and policies may not have been very wise, in the grander scheme of things.

The mere act of granting Suh the meeting enhances the perception that the rules and policies are too complicated to be understood without the assistance of the league office. So now will every player need to sit down with the Commissioner before properly understanding the rules?

The far better approach would be to equip coaches with the right information about what is and isn’t permitted, and to require them to ensure that players understand the differences.

Since October 17, 2010, when a rash of illegal hits by defensive players on defenseless offensive players forced the league to enforce the rules more aggressively, players have been expressing confusion, disagreement, and/or outright defiance regarding rules that, frankly, aren’t that hard to understand. Teams — and, specifically, coaches — are in position to tell the players in no uncertain terms what is and isn’t allowed.

But it’s not in a coach’s interests to risk neutering players, especially when coaches aren’t fined for the illegal hits. So coaches could be subtly manipulating their players, privately expressing confusion, disagreement, and/or outright defiance with the rules, which results in players publicly doing the same. More important for the interests of the coaches, the players continue to play aggressively on defense, which helps the coaches’ teams win more games. Which helps the coaches remain employed and, for the coaches that succeed, get paid a lot of money to do so.

The mere act of meeting with Suh highlights the current disconnect between the NFL and its players. Perhaps the league is simply acknowledging those differences in the hopes of resolving them before they become irreconcilable. But until the league ensures that the coaches are telling their players what the rules are and how to properly respect them, the differences will remain.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -with-suh/

November 2nd, 2011, 9:53 am
RIP Killer

I would have loved to have been in on that meeting.

I think Suh wanted to convey to the league office that he may be getting unfairly singled out, and I know he was none too happy about the "good vs. evil" thing that the NFL website hyped when the Lions played the Broncos.

I also think he probably wanted to point out that he's been flagged twice and fined once for what amount to perfectly legal plays (Marion Barber horse collar and Jay Cutler roughness). He may also have wanted to express that he's been flagged for contacting the head of a QB when, in fact, the QB ducked his head into Suh's arms. How can a defensive player avoid that contact? They are paid to get their hands up against a pass, they are paid to tackle with their arms. You can't change the position of your arms in a fraction of a second. Same thing goes with the whole "defenseless receiver" thing in the secondary. If a receiver is going up to get a ball, what is the defender supposed to do? Let him catch it without touching him? That's not what he's paid for, and not what he's taught. And it's NOT what he should be doing.

Goodell and the rules committee may have the best interests of the players in mind in a poor attempt to make the game safer. However, they've made it a travesty instead. The entire premise of football is contact between two or more players. Limiting that contact is reasonable, but not in the way they are doing it. What they are doing is changing the very fabric of the game, and that's going to lose them their audience eventually.

I understand these players are at high risk for injury. Not to sound cold-hearted, but that's something they know and understand. It's also something they get HIGHLY paid for, and it's something that is always going to be part of football. If they don't want to risk the injuries, they don't have to play the game. Plenty of college players risk the same injuries for nothing in return but an education and the long shot hope that they may get drafted by an NFL team and get paid to play the game. And there's been plenty of guys who have chosen not to play professional football, even when they had the chance.

Goodell and the Rules Committee are ruining this game. If they continue on this path, the NFL brand will suffer and the interest will wane.

November 2nd, 2011, 10:05 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I think it's about planting something in the head of the refs--'this guy is in with goodell, so I better make the right call.' Something along those lines.

November 2nd, 2011, 10:25 am
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:
After meeting, Goodell praises Suh’s “great skill and passion”
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 1, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
goodellsuh Getty Images

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh got his meeting with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell today, and afterward Goodell had nothing but praise for the player who has been decried by some as dirty.

“Ndamukong plays the game with great skill and passion and is a major reason for the Lions’ success this year,” Goodell wrote on Twitter.

The mere fact that Goodell chose to tweet about the meeting is interesting. Goodell isn’t particularly active on Twitter; the only time he tweeted in the entire month of October was when Al Davis died. So Goodell choosing to go on Twitter and address the fans directly about the Suh meeting suggests that Goodell wants to get in front of the story and put forward his praise of Suh, lest he be portrayed as cracking down on one of the NFL’s most dynamic and charismatic young players.

It was Suh who requested the meeting in the first place, saying he wanted to know why he’s been fined multiple times for hits on opposing quarterbacks. Suh wrote on Facebook after the meeting that he was pleased with what he heard from the commissioner.

For his part, Goodell said he thinks Suh has been playing the game the right way.

“We reviewed video showing that he has clearly made the adjustments to play consistently w/in the rules so that he can continue to help the team,” Goodell wrote. “We commend Ndamukong’s leadership in taking the initiative to schedule today’s meeting.”

As trips to the principal’s office go, it sounds like Suh’s was a success.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-passion/

And Florio's take on it:

PFT wrote:
League makes mistake by meeting with Suh
Posted by Mike Florio on November 1, 2011, 11:26 PM EDT

On Tuesday, a much-publicized meeting occurred between Commissioner Roger Goodell and Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Also attending the meeting were Jeff Fisher, former Titans coach and current advisor to the Competition Committee. Lions coach Jim Schwartz, who once worked for Fisher in Tennessee, also was expected to attend.

Peter King of SI.com wrote earlier today on Twitter that the league “really likes Suh” and “wants him to be a face-of-the-league type guy.” That’s fine. And it’s smart. But conducting a meeting with Suh under the guise of helping Suh understand the league’s rules and policies may not have been very wise, in the grander scheme of things.

The mere act of granting Suh the meeting enhances the perception that the rules and policies are too complicated to be understood without the assistance of the league office. So now will every player need to sit down with the Commissioner before properly understanding the rules?

The far better approach would be to equip coaches with the right information about what is and isn’t permitted, and to require them to ensure that players understand the differences.

Since October 17, 2010, when a rash of illegal hits by defensive players on defenseless offensive players forced the league to enforce the rules more aggressively, players have been expressing confusion, disagreement, and/or outright defiance regarding rules that, frankly, aren’t that hard to understand. Teams — and, specifically, coaches — are in position to tell the players in no uncertain terms what is and isn’t allowed.

But it’s not in a coach’s interests to risk neutering players, especially when coaches aren’t fined for the illegal hits. So coaches could be subtly manipulating their players, privately expressing confusion, disagreement, and/or outright defiance with the rules, which results in players publicly doing the same. More important for the interests of the coaches, the players continue to play aggressively on defense, which helps the coaches’ teams win more games. Which helps the coaches remain employed and, for the coaches that succeed, get paid a lot of money to do so.

The mere act of meeting with Suh highlights the current disconnect between the NFL and its players. Perhaps the league is simply acknowledging those differences in the hopes of resolving them before they become irreconcilable. But until the league ensures that the coaches are telling their players what the rules are and how to properly respect them, the differences will remain.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -with-suh/

Thanks Wags!

The highlighted part by Florio is:

1) A piece that I really agree with.

2) Constitutes a change by the NFL that does, in fact, cause confusion.

3) I'm not sure there was any way that the NFL was going to admit they have been more aggressive (read, particular) and they certainly aren't about to say they're sorry; nor is the NFL going to ask the refs to 'pull back'.

The good news is that I think Suh was a genius for doing this. He comes off looking like exactly what he is: A smart, articulate, classy, professional who cares about his team, league & career! He really is “a face-of-the-league type guy.” Schwartz & Lewand joining in just adds credibility to the entire matter.

I suspect that in the long run Suh does get to continue playing his aggressive / tough game and, just like Michael Jordon, Suh will often receive the benefit of the doubt.

November 2nd, 2011, 10:29 am
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
I like it! :cheers:

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 2nd, 2011, 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Schwartz won’t talk about Suh’s meeting with Commissioner
Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2011, 9:57 AM EDT

Lions coach Jim Schwartz joined Dan Patrick on Wednesday morning, a day after a much-publicized meeting between Commissioner Roger Goodell and Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Schwartz attended the meeting, but Schwartz isn’t talking about it.

Dan started the interview by asking the simple question of who set it up. And here’s what Schwartz said: “I don’t know it’s really my place to comment on that. That’s Ndamukong Suh and that’s the Commissioner that can comment on that.”

Dan then crafted on the fly the perfect follow-up. “Did the Commish clear up something for you as a coach on what you can tell your players?”

“I have a very good understanding of the league office’s point of view, and I’ll just leave it right there,” Schwartz said.

Fine. But if that’s the case, then Schwartz either can’t or won’t communicate the league office’s point of view with his players. Based on the words chosen by Schwartz, it sounds like he doesn’t want to share the league office’s point of view with his players, possibly because doing so would take some of the steam out of a defense that Schwartz needs to play instinctively, without thinking about whether they’re dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s when trying to break a guy in half.

That’s the point I made last night. The league office shouldn’t have to explain anything to players. The coaches are the ones who are responsible for properly letting players know what they need to know. If the players are confused, it’s happening in part because the coaches want them to be confused, because the players don’t want them to play with any less aggression.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... missioner/

November 2nd, 2011, 2:12 pm
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:
Schwartz won’t talk about Suh’s meeting with Commissioner
Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2011, 9:57 AM EDT

Lions coach Jim Schwartz joined Dan Patrick on Wednesday morning, a day after a much-publicized meeting between Commissioner Roger Goodell and Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. Schwartz attended the meeting, but Schwartz isn’t talking about it.

Dan started the interview by asking the simple question of who set it up. And here’s what Schwartz said: “I don’t know it’s really my place to comment on that. That’s Ndamukong Suh and that’s the Commissioner that can comment on that.”

Dan then crafted on the fly the perfect follow-up. “Did the Commish clear up something for you as a coach on what you can tell your players?”

“I have a very good understanding of the league office’s point of view, and I’ll just leave it right there,” Schwartz said.

Fine. But if that’s the case, then Schwartz either can’t or won’t communicate the league office’s point of view with his players. Based on the words chosen by Schwartz, it sounds like he doesn’t want to share the league office’s point of view with his players, possibly because doing so would take some of the steam out of a defense that Schwartz needs to play instinctively, without thinking about whether they’re dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s when trying to break a guy in half.

That’s the point I made last night. The league office shouldn’t have to explain anything to players. The coaches are the ones who are responsible for properly letting players know what they need to know. If the players are confused, it’s happening in part because the coaches want them to be confused, because the players don’t want them to play with any less aggression.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... missioner/

How does this...

Schwartz wrote:
“I have a very good understanding of the league office’s point of view, and I’ll just leave it right there,”

Equal this...

Florio wrote:
...then Schwartz either can’t or won’t communicate the league office’s point of view with his players. Based on the words chosen by Schwartz, it sounds like he doesn’t want to share the league office’s point of view with his players, possibly because doing so would take some of the steam out of a defense that Schwartz needs to play instinctively, without thinking about whether they’re dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s when trying to break a guy in half.

I think Florio is taking some liberty here!!

November 2nd, 2011, 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Schwartz Implied (or at least this appears to be Florios take on it) that he understands the leagues point of view, but disagrees with it.

Thats what I got out of it as well, however I agree with Schwartz POV.

November 2nd, 2011, 3:04 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
Schwartz Implied (or at least this appears to be Florios take on it) that he understands the leagues point of view, but disagrees with it.

That's my take on it as well.

Reading between the lines, what Schwartz was saying is "Yes, I know the rules. I don't agree with them, they should be used for a Russian ballet group that wants to try football, and the guy who is pushing them has probably worn a pink tutu and ballet toe shoes somewhere in his sordid past. But I can't say that, cause I'll get fined and in trouble. So I have nothing more to say."

November 2nd, 2011, 3:17 pm
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

That's my take on it as well.

Reading between the lines, what Schwartz was saying is "Yes, I know the rules. I don't agree with them, they should be used for a Russian ballet group that wants to try football, and the guy who is pushing them has probably worn a pink tutu and ballet toe shoes somewhere in his sordid past. But I can't say that, cause I'll get fined and in trouble. So I have nothing more to say."

That's exactly how I read Schwartz's comment as well. (Including the part about 'pink tutu and ballet shoes').

My problem is with the conjecture on the part of Florio. Everything he said is pure speculation as it pertains to what Schwartz is saying and doing behind closed doors. He doesn't know what's going on within the locker room. Everything after, "But if that’s the case, then..." is pretty much speculation.

November 2nd, 2011, 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think it's about planting something in the head of the refs--'this guy is in with goodell, so I better make the right call.' Something along those lines.

yup

November 2nd, 2011, 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next