View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Mid-Season Report Card 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Mid-Season Report Card
The Detroit News wrote:
Lions Midseason Report Card

The Lions sit at the bye week with a 6-2 record, a relatively healthy roster and, for the first time since the horrific collapse of 2007, a legitimate shot at snapping an 11-year playoff drought.
"Being 6-2 won't mean much if we don't do something in the second half," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. "You look back and see things that we have done well and things that we still need to work on — there are still a lot of things on that 'need to be worked on' side of the equation."

Hopefully, this mid-term assessment will acknowledge both sides of the equation; the superlatives and the concerns going forward.
-- Chris McCosky

Photo Report Card - click here

It's that time again to evaluate how the Lions are doing at the mid season point. The grades in this report card are reasonably accurate. I can't argue with to many of them; but I would have preferred a letter grade vs what McCosky did here. I'd also like to see grades by unit (ie. O-Line; D-Line; etc.)

I've got lots of comments to make but just don't have the time right now. I'll be back later.

What are your thoughts on the Lions at the mid point of the season?

November 3rd, 2011, 6:00 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Mid-Season Report Card
I like these better (than again, I may be slightly biased towards the site)

http://www.lionbacker.com/index.asp?id= ... -midgrades

November 3rd, 2011, 9:26 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

i thought mccosky did a good job. m2k s grades were ok but a some of what was written didnt correlate with on field game play - probably a product of him admittedly not watching all of the games or only portions of the games.

everyone seems to be underrating stafford or at least saying they expected him to be as good as he s been which seems like a stretch to me. stafford started out the season by far exceeding expectations and then had a weak game against ATL and an average game against SF but overall he has far exceeded what most people expected of him going into training camp.

November 3rd, 2011, 9:31 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
i thought mccosky did a good job. m2k s grades were ok but a some of what was written didnt correlate with on field game play - probably a product of him admittedly not watching all of the games or only portions of the games.

everyone seems to be underrating stafford or at least saying they expected him to be as good as he s been which seems like a stretch to me. stafford started out the season by far exceeding expectations and then had a weak game against ATL and an average game against SF but overall he has far exceeded what most people expected of him going into training camp.

I do watch the games.....I just don't catch all of them live. Everybody has their own opinion of things. I didn't grade individuals, but rather graded the positions and the contribution to the team overall.

Stafford has shown in the past that he can be exactly what he's been. His college career, his pre-season games and the few regular season games he had going into the season. Admittedly, his accuracy has been better this season than in previous years. He's made some throws that only a couple other QBs in the league could make. But he's also been the beneficiary of some pretty damn fine catches by CJ and TY on balls that could have been thrown better. I've also seen times when he's missed wide open receivers, or simply didn't look their way.

Certain aspects of his game, earlier in the year, were off the charts. But he's come back down to earth in the past three games. Injury, pressure, whatever....I am not measuring his best performances, I'm not measuring his worst. I tried to keep everything in mind.

November 3rd, 2011, 10:04 pm
Pro Bowl Player

:-k

Last edited by Ferris on November 4th, 2011, 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

November 4th, 2011, 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

:arrow: I love a good article. And M2k is always good for an accurate article.

The only things I would disagree with are three.

1. QB - A- at absolutely positively worse. I know we all want to be judgmental, but lets think about this for 2 seconds. Stafford is on pace to break the record for TD's and when is the last time we had a better QB? Never sounds about right. Tom Brady has less TD's and double the interceptions, and he's pretty good. Just saying.

2. The RB's have a better grade than the offensive line. REALLY? our RB's have sucked flat out, never really getting into any kind of groove, minus the one or two good runs Best had against the bears. I don't blame the O line for that, or half of Staffords sacks. The Oline is a top 10 Oline, and we just don't see that because we don't realize how BAD some of the others are. We have faced two of the sack leaders in the NFL, and still have a less sacks than most teams. Just saying

3. Defensive line. A- at worst. They play the scheme given them. They play it well. They are the main ingredient in pass defense, sacks, and unfortunately run defense, but it's what they are asked to do. They straight up can dominate a game and have only just begun to reach their potential.

Other than that pretty fair grading. I really enjoyed the article, just think that these grade's equate more to a husband who expects a perfect wife to make his eggs over easy instead of over medium 9 times out of 10. Over medium is better than scrambled, considering that 6-2 is on pace for 12-4.

I realize 2007 happened, but so did 2008 and the 4-0 preseason. Not the same team.

November 4th, 2011, 1:05 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Since when was stafford on pace to throw for over 50 TDs? 40? Sure...but that's not the record

November 4th, 2011, 1:45 am
National Champion

conversion02 wrote:
Since when was stafford on pace to throw for over 50 TDs? 40? Sure...but that's not the record

He's talking about a Lions record which stands at 32 TDs. Sure it's just a Lions record, but as was already stated "when have we had anyone better?"

November 4th, 2011, 6:55 am
RIP Killer

Ferris wrote:
:arrow: I love a good article. And M2k is always good for an accurate article.

The only things I would disagree with are three.

1. QB - A- at absolutely positively worse. I know we all want to be judgmental, but lets think about this for 2 seconds. Stafford is on pace to break the record for TD's and when is the last time we had a better QB? Never sounds about right. Tom Brady has less TD's and double the interceptions, and he's pretty good. Just saying.

2. The RB's have a better grade than the offensive line. REALLY? our RB's have sucked flat out, never really getting into any kind of groove, minus the one or two good runs Best had against the bears. I don't blame the O line for that, or half of Staffords sacks. The Oline is a top 10 Oline, and we just don't see that because we don't realize how BAD some of the others are. We have faced two of the sack leaders in the NFL, and still have a less sacks than most teams. Just saying

3. Defensive line. A- at worst. They play the scheme given them. They play it well. They are the main ingredient in pass defense, sacks, and unfortunately run defense, but it's what they are asked to do. They straight up can dominate a game and have only just begun to reach their potential.

Other than that pretty fair grading. I really enjoyed the article, just think that these grade's equate more to a husband who expects a perfect wife to make his eggs over easy instead of over medium 9 times out of 10. Over medium is better than scrambled, considering that 6-2 is on pace for 12-4.

I realize 2007 happened, but so did 2008 and the 4-0 preseason. Not the same team.

I understand what you're saying. I could see Stafford at an A-. I just think his last three games weren't that terrific, and his first half against Dallas was pretty bad. Based on 8 games played, having him be slightly above average in three games and just bad in half a game means he was very good in just over half the games played. In my opinion, that doesn't equate to slightly less than near perfect. But, it's just my opinion.

O-line versus RB.....I guess it depends on how you look at things. In reality, I blame the Lions lack of a running game on Linehan more than anything else. But while Stafford hasn't been sacked that much, the hits he's taken are among the tops in the NFL. I watch our short yardage game, and they get no push, at all. The defenders are already a yard into the backfield. For Morris to score in the last game, he BARELY made it one yard and had to put his hands out and jump over the pile to do it. Sorry, but our offensive line just isn't that good, statistics be damned. I think Morris and Williams make the o-line look a little better than what they are. But I agree that Jahvid Best makes them look worse. He can be indecisive and lacks good vision for a RB. The Lions would be much better off, in my opinion, limiting Best to a 3rd down role and using Morris as their starter.

D-line.....no disagreement.

November 4th, 2011, 10:04 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Pablo wrote:

Link don't work...

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 4th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lions2SB2 wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Link don't work...

weird, works for me. You can't cut and paste because the Link is truncated for space purposes here but if you click on the link it should work fine.

November 4th, 2011, 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Pablo wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Link don't work...

weird, works for me. You can't cut and paste because the Link is truncated for space purposes here but if you click on the link it should work fine.

That was what I was doing but now it works, must be my internet. :-k

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 4th, 2011, 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]