View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 8:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions sign Leonard Davis 
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Post Lions sign Leonard Davis
According to the agent of Leonard Davis, the three-time Pro
Bowl guard is joining the Detroit Lions.
The former second overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft has
played for the Cardinals and Cowboys.
Sunday night, @Rep1Sports posted to its Twitter account the
following message:
"REP 1 client and 3-time Pro Bowl offensive guard Leonard
Davis is joining the Detroit #Lions."
The Lions have not yet responded to a request for comment.
Davis joined the Arizona Cardinals in 2001 as a guard for
three seasons before transitioning to left tackle in 2004.
He was signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Dallas
Cowboys in 2007, where he made three consecutive Pro
Bowl teams from 2007-09.
The Cowboys released Davis in July, after the 2010 season.
He has played in 153 NFL games.
Detroit is 6-2 at the halfway mark of the season, their best
record through eight games since 2007. Stephen Peterman
and Rob Sims are the team's current starting guards.

November 7th, 2011, 12:13 am
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Post Re: Lions sign Leonard Davis
See ya Peterwomen.. Maybe we can run on the right side now when he picks up the blocking schemes

November 7th, 2011, 12:19 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

FORD_FIELD wrote:
See ya Peterwomen.. Maybe we can run on the right side now when he picks up the blocking schemes

Maybe left tackle?????? Not that I have been all that unhappy with Backus. But, wondering why no one else has picked this guy up since July........

Frok.

November 7th, 2011, 1:00 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

good move. I hope he's refreshed and healthy

November 7th, 2011, 1:07 am
Pro Bowl Player

Bye Peterman?

This guy may have a half gallon of gas left in the tank, but I doubt he ever starts.

November 7th, 2011, 2:04 am
All State

GOOD! Been hoping for this since Dallas didn't resign him this season. I guess I have to question how long someone that old will be able to contribute on a high level for, but he isn't that far removed from a pro bowl season. At this point he's still better then Peterman if he catches on to the offense early.

Any other word on signings at this point?

Looks like they brought in a TON of people to look at during the Bye Week:

Quote:
Randle El headlines 24-man Gong Show tryout in Detroit

Posted by Mike Florio on November 5, 2011, 1:49 PM EST

Most levels and brands of football involve 22 total players on the field at any given time. (At some levels of the sport, there’s less. And in crunch time of the 2009 NFC title game, there was more.) On Friday in Detroit, the Lions brought in enough guys for workouts that they could have played a regulation game, with a pair of subs.

Leading the list, per a league source, was receiver Antwaan Randle El, who once threw a touchdown pass at Detroit’s Ford Field to Hines Ward during Super Bowl XL.

Also trying out for the Lions were receivers Sam Aiken, Aaron Love, Charly Martin, and Terrence Toliver, quarterback Brian Brohm, running backs Aaron Brown, Lonyae Miller, Wynel Seldon, and Kevin Smith (a former Lion), defensive tackles Tony Brown and Jovan Haye, guards Garrett Chisolm and Leonard Davis, defensive end Chauncey Davis, tight ends Ryan Goleski and Jonathan Stupar, linebackers Nic Harris and Lance Laury, long snapper Jake Ingram, punter Jeremy Kapinos, defensive backs Robert McClain and Kevin Payne, and center Chris Morris.

In other news, both Tiki Barber and T.O. are flabbergasted.

I would like to see them give some serious consideration to bringing Aaron Brown back vs. the guy they signed from Philly recently, and I think Lonyae Miller would be a good pickup too since he had a great preseason in Dallas.

November 7th, 2011, 3:29 am

Probably got him for a lot cheaper than he wanted before the season. Think this probably like how they signed Jansen to push Gos.

And I bet they sign AB if Best goes on IR.

November 7th, 2011, 9:46 am
Team MVP

I love it. Been waiting for this ever since the rumors of them signing Davis.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 7th, 2011, 10:41 am
RIP Killer

Smells like a backup spot for depth. Maybe work him in here and there the next time someone starts standing the joint up like gos or petey

November 7th, 2011, 10:45 am
Junior Varsity

Anyone else wonder why NO ONE else wanted this guy? Makes me question it, but hope he works out.

November 7th, 2011, 11:05 am
RIP Killer

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
Anyone else wonder why NO ONE else wanted this guy? Makes me question it, but hope he works out.

His play really dropped off in 2010 for the Cowboys after a couple of really good seasons. That said, it seemed like he was as much of a cap casualty as anything else.

November 7th, 2011, 11:26 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

Yes, I've wondered that. Perhaps he had a lingering injury earlier in the year? Maybe his salary expectations were not what teams were willing to pay? It's hard to be certain. What I do know is that the Lions have only one backup guard/center (Dylan Gandy) and I've never been too impressed with him when he played. Peterman has been inconsistent, to put it kindly. I don't think he feels any pressure from Gandy pushing him. As such, having Davis inked should push a number of players. He's played four positions on the OL, and could step in at any of them. With Fox seemingly not impressing anyone in practices, and Cherilus not improving his play at a pace the Lions would like, this move makes good sense.

November 7th, 2011, 11:43 am
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

His play really dropped off in 2010 for the Cowboys after a couple of really good seasons. That said, it seemed like he was as much of a cap casualty as anything else.

I don't disagree with that at all. But I also think he suffers from the same ailment many succesful vets have to deal with. They want unrealisic money and the chance to play for a winner. That combination of things doesn't come around all the time (ask T.O.).

Our need at O-Line + Being a winning team Vs. His ability (although fading) + Being satisfyed with whatever we're paying = Davis is a Lion.

How often do we get to say that being a winner helped lure a free agent to the Detroit Lions?

Frankly, I forgot Davis was still out there. I think this is a good signing! This is the other way to improve our running game (as well as help protect our franchise QB).

November 7th, 2011, 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

Yes, I've wondered that. Perhaps he had a lingering injury earlier in the year? Maybe his salary expectations were not what teams were willing to pay? It's hard to be certain. What I do know is that the Lions have only one backup guard/center (Dylan Gandy) and I've never been too impressed with him when he played. Peterman has been inconsistent, to put it kindly. I don't think he feels any pressure from Gandy pushing him. As such, having Davis inked should push a number of players. He's played four positions on the OL, and could step in at any of them. With Fox seemingly not impressing anyone in practices, and Cherilus not improving his play at a pace the Lions would like, this move makes good sense.

Agreed!!

November 7th, 2011, 11:47 am
Profile WWW

m2karateman wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

Where did you hear the thing about Fox not impressing anybody? As far as I know, he only recently returned to practice because of his foot injury. Not saying it's not true, but I hadn't heard anything like that.

November 7th, 2011, 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next