View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 RB Kevin Smith is back 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: RB Kevin Smith is back
Killwill25 wrote:
Doe's'nt everyon have happy feet when they play behind Daniel Loper and George Foster, And Manny Ramirez. Plus a young Gosder. I don't think it's fair to judge how he did behind those guys. I'm not calling him a good player by any means but I don't think he sucks as much as people say he does. Williams and Morris are much better than he is

I think there was a backlash to his big talk. I also didn't appreciate how we was talking sh** in the offseason. "Come get me" to the DOLPHINS?!?! Really?

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2011/1/20 ... me-get-him

November 8th, 2011, 6:00 pm
QB Coach

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Doe's'nt everyon have happy feet when they play behind Daniel Loper and George Foster, And Manny Ramirez. Plus a young Gosder. I don't think it's fair to judge how he did behind those guys. I'm not calling him a good player by any means but I don't think he sucks as much as people say he does. Williams and Morris are much better than he is

I think there was a backlash to his big talk. I also didn't appreciate how we was talking sh** in the offseason. "Come get me" to the DOLPHINS?!?! Really?

Did you even read the article you posted? He specifically denies that he ever said that.

I'm no great fan of Smith, but geez man, at least read the stuff you post.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

November 8th, 2011, 6:11 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:

Doesn't matter. He didn't help them by his hesitation. He gained pretty good yardage behind other players that weren't much better. It was after his first knee injury that he got skiddish. Coincidence? I don't think so.

November 8th, 2011, 6:37 pm
Hall of Fame Player

ESPN.com wrote:
Nov 8, 5:45 PM ET
By Kevin Seifert

Tuesday's SportsNation chat brought us a confluence of Kevins:

Kevin (NYC)

from one kevin to another about a kevin....what's the deal with kevin smith? Will he start and what role will he play?

Kevin Seifert (2:19 PM)

He won't start and he'll at best be a role player in the beginning.

But there's no sense in letting my answer stand when a person with much better information addressed it shortly thereafter. Speaking to reporters after a bonus Tuesday practice, Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz said Smith didn't so much address a short-term need as he did prove that he is ready to resume his career during a workout last week.

"Kevin has long experience here with the Lions," Schwartz said. "[He's] very familiar with our system. But also we had a big workout last week, with an eye toward a lot of things we were talking about with the second half of the season, and you need to be prepared for a lot of different situations that come up. And honestly in his case, we hadn’t really planned on signing anybody, but Kevin looked so good. Ran well, moved well, was in great shape, and you know, has been a productive player for us when he’s been on the field and I think, one of the silver linings in this was it gave his body time to heal.

"He really impressed everyone and we sort of know what we have, again, when he’s healthy and he’s obviously in great shape."

In other words, Smith proved a ready-man contingency plan for a team that might or might not need one at his position. The Lions will get their best players on the field, and if Smith proves to be one of them, he'll play. In the meantime, I'm guessing he's the team's third back behind Maurice Morris and Keiland Williams while Jahvid Best recovers from a concussion.

I for one am glad to see Kevin Smith have another shot. He'll never be great but he has a lot of heart and I like that about him.

November 8th, 2011, 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

Did you even read the article you posted? He specifically denies that he ever said that.

I'm no great fan of Smith, but geez man, at least read the stuff you post.

I know he denied it, but reading the reports at the time, it certainly seemed like he said it.

November 8th, 2011, 11:33 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
The guy knows the offense and is more valuable to the team at this point than Buckley. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think this is really about Best (at least not yet).

I think you're right. I think Smith is an improvement over Buckley. However, I think Brown would be an improvement over Smith.

It almost seems as if Schwartz and Linehan are resigned to the fact that a speed back isn't a fit in this offense, and that they need someone who is a one cut, north south runner.

Which, of course, makes me wonder why they signed "Happy Feet" Smith? :-k

I, for one, am really looking forward to some more 2-3 yard Kevin Smith running plays...

your giving kevin too much credit. i was thinking more along the lines of taking the handoff, slipping and falling down for a 2 yd loss.

November 9th, 2011, 2:06 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Detroit Free Press wrote:
Lions' Kevin Smith could play Sunday vs. Bears
1:50 AM, Nov. 11, 2011 | BY DAVE BIRKETT

Kevin Smith hasn't logged an NFL carry in almost a year, but offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said the Lions' newest running back could make a cameo in Sunday's game against the Bears.

"I could see him playing some this game," Linehan said Thursday. "The expectation is to get to Sunday and see where we are. The other two guys (Maurice Morris and Keiland Williams) are ready to go, like they were. But there would be a scenario there where Kevin could play for us."

Morris has averaged 4.9 yards a carry over the last two games in Jahvid Best's absence and is expected to start again Sunday. Best is still recovering from an October concussion.

Williams has 39 carries for 118 yards in seven games this year, mostly in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

Smith, who played his first three NFL seasons with the Lions, re-signed with the team this week as insurance for a thin backfield.

The Lions typically keep three or four running backs active on game days, but also could use return man Stefan Logan out of the backfield if Smith doesn't play.

"He knows the offense, so it's a natural fit for him to come in and be comfortable with everything we're doing," Linehan said. "He picked it up right away. It was really just kind of give him a couple of nuances that were new since he was here last year.

"I feel really good about him being able to be called upon in any situation for us."

http://www.freep.com/article/20111111/SPORTS01/111110389/Kevin-Smith-could-play-Sunday-vs-Bears

I could see him playing in some 3rd down situations. He was never really that great of a runner for the Lions, but he was fairly reliable as a receiver out of the backfield and in pass protection.

November 12th, 2011, 1:07 pm
League MVP

smith looked ok today, i could see him playing a role for us - was good for him to get his feet wet

November 13th, 2011, 11:31 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Anyone want to rip on Kevin Smith today!!

Let's not forget exactly what they said on TV. "Smith had nearly 1000 yards his rookie season!"

He looked solid today without any doubt!! 140 yards - 2 TD's. I was glad when we resigned him and I'm really glad we had him today!

November 20th, 2011, 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

LionFan57 wrote:
Anyone want to rip on Kevin Smith today!!

Let's not forget exactly what they said on TV. "Smith had nearly 1000 yards his rookie season!"

He looked solid today without any doubt!! 140 yards - 2 TD's. I was glad when we resigned him and I'm really glad we had him today!

It was like watching his college highlights!

November 20th, 2011, 5:36 pm
League MVP

actually had 3 tds

November 20th, 2011, 5:51 pm
RIP Killer

Wow, after all the crap people said about him the last offseason (yes, on this forum)... how he danced around behind the LOS, ran right at people looking for contact...now he puts on a clinic and everyone is on his jock.

The guy had a great game and I hope he rips the packers a new one next week. Its great to see someone with some fire, gritting out those extra yards, pumping their legs.

I was dissapointed when he wasn't resigned, because there's no way willams is better. Hes a very good pass catcher, but he doesn't have great speed or great agility to make defenders miss, lke best does. He is however a good all-around player.

Can we give it up for the OL? They played a solid game on both fronts. Stafford had a decent amount of time, despite the way Carolina's secondary played (they had good, tight coverage on the first half, so linehan's went to the short passes). The OL made some very nice holes and smith thanked each lineman multiple times throughout the game. Keep up the run game, because they'll have to have one against green bay

November 20th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:
Wow, after all the crap people said about him the last offseason (yes, on this forum)... how he danced around behind the LOS, ran right at people looking for contact...now he puts on a clinic and everyone is on his jock.

The guy had a great game and I hope he rips the packers a new one next week. Its great to see someone with some fire, gritting out those extra yards, pumping their legs.

I was dissapointed when he wasn't resigned, because there's no way willams is better. Hes a very good pass catcher, but he doesn't have great speed or great agility to make defenders miss, lke best does. He is however a good all-around player.

Can we give it up for the OL? They played a solid game on both fronts. Stafford had a decent amount of time, despite the way Carolina's secondary played (they had good, tight coverage on the first half, so linehan's went to the short passes). The OL made some very nice holes and smith thanked each lineman multiple times throughout the game. Keep up the run game, because they'll have to have one against green bay

He gave them huge props in the post game press conference as well! He's a solid person. Very gracious. I like him a lot!!

November 20th, 2011, 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Wow. Good job Kevin Smith.

Who would have thought Kevin Smith will probably be the top waiver wire pickup this week in Fantasy Football.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 20th, 2011, 8:51 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

vs. Carolina: 16 carries, 140 yds, 8.8 yd average, 2 TD
4 catches for 64 yards and 1 TD

Could he have just won the starting job, at least until Best is cleared to play (if ever)?

November 20th, 2011, 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next