View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 RB Kevin Smith is back 
RIP Killer

Post Re: RB Kevin Smith is back
Wow. Just wow.

Kudos to Kevin Smith....but c'mon people. He had a good game against one of the worst defenses in the league. I'm glad the Lions re-signed him, but he's an average back on his best days. Yes, he had nearly 1000 yards his rookie season, but that is a LONG time ago, in regards to NFL terms.

November 20th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah, I've never given the guy much credit, but congrats to him on a dominating performance (when's the last time you could say that about the Lions' running game?).

November 20th, 2011, 10:49 pm
Junior Varsity

This crow I'm eating tastes awfully good. Hats off to Kevin Smith today for a very solid outing.

November 20th, 2011, 11:24 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I thought Smith looked slimmer today, and hit the hole a little quicker than I remember. Yes, it was vs. a bad run defense but he was having much better success than our other backs today. He's clearly our best RB while Best is sidelined.

November 21st, 2011, 12:42 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

mwill2 wrote:
I thought Smith looked slimmer today, and hit the hole a little quicker than I remember. Yes, it was vs. a bad run defense but he was having much better success than our other backs today. He's clearly our best RB while Best is sidelined.

I think he realized what got him cut.

November 21st, 2011, 4:38 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Detroit News wrote:
November 20. 2011 1:00AM.
John Niyo

Comeback Kevin Smith carries the day for Lions

Detroit— Second chances? You don't want to mess those up.

That's what Kevin Smith said when he began this encore performance with the Lions a couple weeks ago.

And that's what he was saying again late Sunday afternoon, just before he walked out of Ford Field cradling the game ball after the Lions' 49-35 victory over the Carolina Panthers.

His is the comeback story wrapped up in another comeback win for the Lions, the team that drafted Smith right before it hit rock bottom in 2008 and then discarded him — as so often happens in the NFL — just when the fortunes were starting to turn this past spring.

And while I'm not sure what Jim Schwartz said to Smith when he pulled him aside for a congratulatory hug on the sideline late in the fourth quarter Sunday, I do know what the Lions' head coach told us at the start of his postgame press conference.

"There's a lot of great stories in the NFL, and I'm sure there's a lot of storylines today," Schwartz said. "But I think the NFL would be hard-pressed to find a better story than Kevin Smith."

He'll get no argument from me on that. So here goes.

A guy whose once-promising career was derailed by injuries and the terrible fortune of being drafted by the worst team in NFL history, among other things, found himself unemployed after the NFL lockout ended this summer.

But after his old team was in danger of seeing its own promising season derailed by injuries in the backfield, he got a phone call for workout. And after an impressive showing there, he got a contract offer. And after he'd had a chance to reintroduce himself to everyone in Allen Park, he got a chance to play — reallyplay — in a crucial, can't-lose game Sunday.

And wouldn't you know it, there Smith was standing at the podium afterward, answering questions about how he'd gone from castoff to celebrated — from lost to found, sort of like the Lions' rushing attack — in such short order.

The surprising hero

It was Smith who jump-started the Lions' offense Sunday with a 43-yard run on the first play of the second quarter — Smith's longest run since a 50-yarder at Minnesota during his rookie season in 2008. And it was Smith's 28-yard touchdown catch on the ensuing play that finally got the Lions on the scoreboard.

But it was Smith's play in the fourth quarter — nine carries, 73 yards and two touchdowns — that helped seal this victory as the Lions rallied from a 24-7 deficit.

Whether or not he's the starter now with Jahvid Best (concussion) out remains to be seen. (Best did return to the game-day sideline for the first time Sunday, which is a hopeful sign.) But Smith, who still could fill a third-down role — or more — even if Best returns to form, finished Sunday's game with 16 carries for 140 yards and four catches for 61 yards, as well as the career-best three touchdowns.

Not bad for a guy running with a huge chip on his shoulder, right? Not so fast, says Smith, who, by the way, does look a bit faster now that he's fresh and healthy for the first time in a long time.

"I really had no chip," he insisted, while giving due credit to his faith and his offensive line Sunday. "This is going on my fourth year in the business. And I've learned, if you're available and you've got talent, you'll play. If you have talent and you're not available, you won't play."

He had enough talent for the Lions — albeit Matt Millen's Lions, at the time — to draft him in the third round back in 2008 after a record-setting collegiate career at Central Florida. He had enough talent to rush for nearly 1,000 yards on an awful 0-16 team as a rookie. And he had enough guts to remain the starter in 2009 — playing through some seriously debilitating injuries right up until he tore his ACL in December — and again in 2010 before eventually landing on injured reserve again.

And yes, he was available, certainly, ever since the Lions opted not to tender him a restricted free agent offer in March. But despite a few NFL tryouts and offers from the Canadian Football League that he understandably dismissed, Smith remained unsigned two months into the season.

He says his daily routine this fall consisted of a 7 a.m. wakeup call, a morning-long workout regimen at Bommarito Performance just north of Miami, and then the rest of his day spent playing with his young son.

Not a bad life, obviously. But hardly what Smith, 24, whose draft class included the likes of Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, Jamaal Charles and Matt Forte at running back, had in mind when he began his NFL career.

He's back!

Smith called it "humbling" when he re-signed with the Lions two weeks ago. Sunday, though, he shrugged it off, refusing to call this "redemption."

"It's not really tough, if that's your will," he said. "I've always believed in myself and my ability. I've had some tough breaks injury-wise. But I believe in myself. When I was getting up and going to train, and I'd kiss my son and walk out the door, there really was no motivation. There was nobody to say, 'Come on, a team's gonna come calling.' It just took me to keep going five days a week, to go to some workouts and not get a job."

And it just took him to make the most of this opportunity when it came knocking, back in Detroit, of all places.

"It's a feel-good story," center Dominic Raiola said. "But I don't think he's looking for any sympathy."

No, just a little daylight is all. Sunday, he finally found some — and ran with it.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111120/OPI ... z1eL1ZRT00

Welcome back Kevin Smith!!

Get ready for Thursday's game. The yardage will be tougher to come by so we need you (and the O-Line) to play well more than ever.

November 21st, 2011, 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Schwartz: Kevin Smith is the “best story in the NFL”
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 21, 2011, 6:26 PM EST

Here’s what Lions coach Jim Schwartz had to say about running back Kevin Smith after he put up over 200 yards from scrimmage and two scores on the Panthers:

“There’s a lot of great stories in the NFL, and I’m sure there’s a lot of storylines today,” Schwartz said via the Detroit News. “But I think the NFL would be hard-pressed to find a better story than Kevin Smith.”

Mark Herzlich starting (and playing well overall) last night for the Giants was pretty cool. But we can’t really argue with Schwartz here.

Smith was the most likable member of the 0-16 Lions. He gave great effort every week and never seemed to give in to the misery. Smith has struggled even more in the years since.

He tore his ACL in 2009 and never seemed fully recovered in 2010. Smith couldn’t find an interested team this offseason. The Lions signed every scrap heap back possible before turning to Smith: Keiland Williams, Mike Bell, Eldra Buckley, and Jerome Harrison have all been on the roster. They tried to trade for Ronnie Brown.

When the Lions finally called Smith three weeks ago, he made sure he was ready.

“It’s not really tough, if that’s your will,” Smith said. “I’ve always believed in myself and my ability. I’ve had some tough breaks injury-wise. But I believe in myself. When I was getting up and going to train, and I’d kiss my son and walk out the door, there really was no motivation.”

Smith was so overcome by emotions that he had to take a moment to gather himself on the bench Sunday. It was a powerful moment, but the Lions aren’t into charity cases. Smith’s re-emergence could help solve the team’s long-struggling running game.

It makes you wonder why the team didn’t call Smith earlier.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-the-nfl/

November 22nd, 2011, 9:50 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Great job by Smith. Being unemployed and seemingly unwanted can be a great motivator. Talent was never the issue with this kid, injuries absolutely derailed his career. The kid's healthy again and seems to have a lot left in the tank. Just the shot in the arm the Lions running game needed.

November 22nd, 2011, 12:10 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Killwill25 wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

DING DING DING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Missing that paycheck really sucks doesn't it Kevin?

I think Killwill is exactly right. I never questioned KS's ability. It was his heart and vision that I questioned. Without any heart and vision, you are left dancing around pretending you are Mavrick in Top Gun. " Speak to me Goose".

November 22nd, 2011, 5:55 pm
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

I think Killwill is exactly right. I never questioned KS's ability. It was his heart and vision that I questioned. Without any heart and vision, you are left dancing around pretending you are Mavrick in Top Gun. " Speak to me Goose".

Really?

REALLY!?

Look what I found 2 pages back in this very thread...

BillySims wrote:
Yay. I missed watching him audition for dancing with the stars until the defense closes in on him before he starts to run forward.

:roll:

November 22nd, 2011, 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

it was nice to watch Smith do well. looks kinda funny in #30 instead of #34. Stafford was able to spread the field with his arm and that left the one-cut and go holes for SMITH!!!! haha that was great to watch!!

November 22nd, 2011, 10:07 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'm happy for Kevin Smith. He always seemed like a good guy, but things didn't quite work out for him earlier in his career. I know some of that had to do with his injury, but as Billy bitched about, his dancing in the backfield was frustrating. On Sunday, it appeared that he learned from that and became more of a one cut and go type of runner. If he continues that approach, he could be a solid RB for the rest of the season.

November 23rd, 2011, 11:53 am
Hall of Fame Player

LionFan57 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

Really?

REALLY!?

Look what I found 2 pages back in this very thread...

BillySims wrote:
Yay. I missed watching him audition for dancing with the stars until the defense closes in on him before he starts to run forward.

:roll:

And just how is that questioning his ability? That is him wrapped in his own indecision that causes that. It is not an ability issue.

November 25th, 2011, 10:34 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Kevin Smith had a good start against the Packers before getting injured. But, hopefully, it appears not to be serious:
PFT wrote:
Kevin Smith has mild ankle sprain, could be back next week
Posted by Mike Florio on November 25, 2011, 4:09 PM EST

Lions running back Kevin Smith reportedly suffered a high ankle sprain on Thursday, which is loosely known in football parlance as “the bad kind.” But the prognosis may not be all that negative, after all.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Smith has a mild sprain. He could be back next week, when the Lions face the Saints on Sunday Night Football.

Smith’s injury came only four days after he generated 201 combined rushing and receiving yards, along with three touchdowns. The Lions need him badly, now that Jahvid Best has been placed on injured reserve with a concussion suffered in the middle of October.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/25/kevin-smith-has-mild-ankle-sprain-could-be-back-next-week/

November 26th, 2011, 10:06 am
League MVP

high ankle sprains usually keep guys out longer than 10 days and shouldnt be called mild

November 26th, 2011, 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next