View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Playoff question? 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Playoff question?
Hypothetically , if the Lions and the bears both had better records than the other teams trying for a wildcard spot in the NFC, could three teams from the same division get in ? I don't know Ive ever seen that done before, but looking at their records it seems possible.

November 8th, 2011, 10:17 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Playoff question?
Ferris wrote:
Hypothetically , if the Lions and the bears both had better records than the other teams trying for a wildcard spot in the NFC, could three teams from the same division get in ? I don't know Ive ever seen that done before, but looking at their records it seems possible.

Yes, they would. Best record means exactly that.

If Dallas wins the NFC East, and Philly somehow pulls out a miracle and ends up with an identical record to Chicago, with Dallas and Washington out of the hunt and the Giants winning the East at years end, Chicago will go to the playoffs, assuming that Detroit and Green Bay are going as well.

November 8th, 2011, 10:27 am
Pro Bowl Player

It would be kinda weird. I guess since two NFC north teams were in the championship last season, its not that much of a stretch though.

November 8th, 2011, 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

They were talking about the strongest division in football the other day, and the NFC North wasn't even mentioned.

Looking at TD production through the first 9 weeks it is worth noting

Combined Division Touchdowns

NFC NORTH - 100
NFC SOUTH - 90
AFC EAST - 88
NFC EAST - 78
AFC WEST - 77
AFC NORTH - 75
AFC SOUTH - 66
NFC WEST - 63

Combined Point differential in each division.

NFC NORTH - +187
AFC NORTH - +116
AFC EAST - +91
NFC SOUTH - +32
NFC EAST - +8
NFC WEST - MINUS 120
AFC SOUTH - MINUS 154
AFC WEST - MINUS 160

So who has the strongest division in football right now? :arrow: Just sayin

November 8th, 2011, 11:25 am
Profile WWW
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
I agree with this list. When you got the Packers and Lions who both put up 40+ points, hard to beat that.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 8th, 2011, 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I think it comes down to the NFC North and AFC North. In the NFC North, you have the Packers, who are clearly the class of the league. Then the Lions are next, and we'll see if they are truly for real or if they're slightly over-achieving so far. The Bears aren't truly contenders yet. They just aren't that good. Minny is a mess.

In the AFC, both the Ravens and the Steelers are scary teams. Tough as hell and not a team I'd want to face in the playoffs. Then there's Cincy. I don't think they are for real. They've had a pretty easy schedule so far and will come back to earth. Cleveland is terrible.

So, in my opinion, there's probably a slight advantage to the NFC North, but not much. It's pretty even I think.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

November 8th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Ferris wrote:
They were talking about the strongest division in football the other day, and the NFC North wasn't even mentioned.

Its like the Pro Bowl Voting. Its more of how the past plays out in their heads.

The NFC North and AFC North (I think - Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Browns Div) are easily the best 2 divisions in football this year. To not even mention the NFC North in the discussion is just plain retarded.

November 8th, 2011, 4:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

Unfortunately you are going to have folks who look at the Lions and say "they haven't beaten anybody". They don't see the teams we've beaten as being "legitimate". We lost to Atlanta and San Francisco, and both of them are seen as "strong" teams.

I would bet most people think the NFC South is REALLY good, mostly because they have New Orleans and Atlanta. Carolina and Tampa Bay aren't taken into consideration. In the NFC North, it's largely..."there's the Packers, and everyone else."

The AFC East is probably considered by some as the strongest division, since they have the Patriots and the Jets. Nevermind that both teams have struggled this season. Buffalo is 5-3, so put those three together, and you have a strong division. The fact that Miami sucks isn't an issue.

The AFC North and the NFC North each have 21 wins between their respective teams. I think it's clear who the two bad boys in the play yard are.

November 8th, 2011, 4:39 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Win % top to bottom has us 100th of a percent above the AFC North.

November 8th, 2011, 7:23 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
DJ-B wrote:
Ferris wrote:

Its like the Pro Bowl Voting. Its more of how the past plays out in their heads.

The NFC North and AFC North (I think - Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Browns Div) are easily the best 2 divisions in football this year. To not even mention the NFC North in the discussion is just plain retarded.

Who was talking about it?

I don't get how you can't even mention the NFC North, with Packers so good and Lions on the rising and Bears being an average team.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 8th, 2011, 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Ferris wrote:

Yes. The NFC East sent 3 teams to the playoffs in 2007. And their 4th place team that year was Philly at 8-8.

November 10th, 2011, 1:26 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Ferris wrote:

In the 1993-94 season, the Lions, the Vikings, and the Fudgepackers made the playoffs. Detroit (10-6) won the division with the Vikings (9-7) and Fudgepackers (9-7) getting two of the three wild card spots. Of course, this was before the three divisions were split into four divisions, but I don't see what difference that makes since all three are in the same division now. The Fudgepackers beat the Lions and the Giants beat the Vikings. Then the Cowpokers beat the Fudgepackers on their way to a Superbowl win over poor Buffalo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993%E2%80 ... L_playoffs

I had to go to Wikipedia to look that up. I seemed to remember that there was one season where three of the NFC North teams were in the playoffs.

November 10th, 2011, 3:27 am
QB Coach

It also happened in 1997 with GB, Detroit and Minny making it. In 1994, 4 teams from the same division made it with Chicago getting in with those other 3.

November 10th, 2011, 11:56 pm
Stadium Announcer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I think it comes down to the NFC North and AFC North. In the NFC North, you have the Packers, who are clearly the class of the league. Then the Lions are next, and we'll see if they are truly for real or if they're slightly over-achieving so far. The Bears aren't truly contenders yet. They just aren't that good. Minny is a mess.

In the AFC, both the Ravens and the Steelers are scary teams. Tough as hell and not a team I'd want to face in the playoffs. Then there's Cincy. I don't think they are for real. They've had a pretty easy schedule so far and will come back to earth. Cleveland is terrible.

So, in my opinion, there's probably a slight advantage to the NFC North, but not much. It's pretty even I think.

The Super Bowl last year was the NFC North against the AFC North.

Look for next year to have a lot more NFC North divisional games on national television.

November 21st, 2011, 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]