View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Bears II 
Walk On

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions vs. Bears II
UK Lion wrote:
I.E. wrote:
I'm not going talk re: the Stafford thing anymore. If you guys interpreted an innocent play on his part, then fine. If he isn't fined, then you'll know the league agrees with you. If he is, then the whole idea about "who got ejected" doesn't matter - it only means the officials didn't see the first offender (which frequently happens).

I fully expect Stafford to get fined, because it was an illegal play which the refs missed.

I completely disagree that this will mean that "the whole idea about "who got ejected" doesn't matter". I fully expect Stafford to get fined less than Moore and to be taking the field next Sunda, unlike Moore. I fully expect Moore to be the only player suspended for a game out of the Bears vs Lions match. And that is because Moore's action was clearly the worst piece of dirty play in that game.

And that's the point. A Bears player commits the worst foul of the game (note worst - not only), is ejected and cheered out of the stadium. But the talk the next day is about the dirty Lions. WTF?

WTF? Because objective people watched the game. Like you, I've been reading & listening to the talk after the game, and almost universally people are saying that Briggs and Peppers plays were maybe infractions but they weren't necessarily dirty ... while the intentional body slam by Fairley and the helmet-ripping are considered dirty.

What I'm seeing here is that most Lions fans don't have any problem with the way they're playing... including intentionally ripping helmets off. That's fine with me, but you can't have it both ways - you can't be proud of your team because they push the envelope the way they are ... and then complain about people other than the fans of your team thinking & talking about them playing dirty.

If that's who you want to be, then own it. Say, "yeah, we're dirty - so what?" Don't say, "...but but but ... you guys had a guy kicked out for responding to us ... so you're dirty too."

November 17th, 2011, 10:46 am
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Source: Kyle Vanden Bosch fined
The NFL has fined Detroit Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch $7,500 for hitting a runner who was already on the ground, a league source said Thursday.

It likely is the first in a series of fines to stem from Sunday's contentious game against the Bears in Chicago, which the Bears won 37-13.

Officials review all plays involving potential violations, even if not penalized during the game, and they are referred to Ray Anderson and Merton Hanks, executive vice president and vice president of football operations, respectively.

The two have plenty of plays from which to choose, ranging from hits on quarterback Jay Cutler by Lions defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley, to the fourth-quarter brawl between the teams that resulted in the ejection of Bears cornerback D.J. Moore.

Bears coach Lovie Smith on Monday said Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford should have been ejected along with Moore following the altercation. Moore charged Stafford, who dragged down the cornerback by grabbing the back of his helmet and his face mask during an interception return by Tim Jennings.

Moore has said that he expects to be fined.

In a non-fight related offense, Bears wide receiver Earl Bennett was fined $10,000 for wearing orange cleats in the game, according to a league source.

Bennett was fined $5,000 the previous week for the same offense -- a violation of the NFL's uniform policy -- in the Bears' 30-24 victory against the Eagles.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and ESPNChicago's Michael C. Wright was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/72455 ... ource-says

November 17th, 2011, 11:40 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

There are plenty of late hits and other penalties (like the one by Vanden Bosch) that can be used as evidence of the Lions' "dirty play." However, using the Stafford play as evidence of dirtiness is absurd. No "objective" person would look at the Stafford play and think it was anything other than a routine face mask/illegal tackle. Should have been a 15 yd penalty, end of story, just like most face mask penalties.

The Vanden Bosch play was clearly over the line and clearly should have been fined. However, anyone who suggests that Stafford should be fined for his tackle has officially surrendered their objectivity on the matter of the Lions playing dirty.

November 17th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Walk On

mwill2 wrote:
... anyone who suggests that Stafford should be fined for his tackle has officially surrendered their objectivity on the matter of the Lions playing dirty.

If you say so. lol :roll:

November 17th, 2011, 1:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I.E. wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
... anyone who suggests that Stafford should be fined for his tackle has officially surrendered their objectivity on the matter of the Lions playing dirty.

if it wasnt for the ensuing dust up, not many people wouldve noticed what stafford did

November 17th, 2011, 2:51 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Killwill25 wrote:
I.E. wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

if it wasnt for the ensuing dust up, not many people wouldve noticed what stafford did

I noticed it in real time and had my friend rewind it b/c he missed it.

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 17th, 2011, 3:04 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
LionsFan4Life wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I.E. wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

I noticed it in real time and had my friend rewind it b/c he missed it.

Lot of people saw it, just some think it shouldn't be a fine.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 17th, 2011, 5:02 pm
Profile WWW

Lions2SB2 wrote:
Lot of people saw it, just some think it shouldn't be a fine.

That's my point exactly. It definitely happened. That doesn't mean it was a deliberate act of head-hunting.

I.E. wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

If the objective reviewers at the NFL office decide that Stafford deserves a fine, I'll have to eat crow. If there's no fine, I'm sure you'll come back here and eat a little crow yourself, right? Deal? :cheers:

November 17th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Completely off topic but I just realized I crossed the 1500-post mark. I used to lurk around here--now I'm a bona fide loudmouth.

November 17th, 2011, 8:03 pm
Walk On

mwill2 wrote:
Completely off topic but I just realized I crossed the 1500-post mark. I used to lurk around here--now I'm a bona fide loudmouth.

Your words - not mine. lol :cheers:

November 17th, 2011, 8:05 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Unlike some people, I feel this is deserved:
Mlive wrote:
Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford fined $7,500 by the NFL
Published: Friday, November 18, 2011, 1:05 PM Updated: Friday, November 18, 2011, 1:23 PM
By Anwar S. Richardson MLive.com

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said he was fined $7,500 for his tackle on Chicago Bears cornerback D.J. Moore earlier this week. It was the first fine in Stafford's three-year career.

In addition, the Chicago Tribune is reporting Moore was $15,000 for retaliating against Stafford.

ESPN previously reported defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch was fined $7,500 for hitting a runner who was already on the ground.

After Stafford threw his third interception -- this one to Bears cornerback Tim Jennings -- he pursued the cornerback. While in pursuit, Stafford tangled with Bears cornerback D.J. Moore, who he grabbed by the helmet and threw to the ground. Moore responded by attacking Stafford and a fight between the teams ensued.

The NFL will officially announce all fines later this afternoon.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/11/detroit_lions_quarterback_matt_6.html

November 18th, 2011, 3:15 pm

And I'm back to eat crow. Clearly I was wrong about this. I don't necessarily agree with the fine but I can at least accept that the NFL is able to be objective on the matter and they decided the fine was warranted.

November 18th, 2011, 3:59 pm
RIP Killer

I think Stafford deserved the fine. However, I will say that the $15k fine against Moore is a freakin' joke. He should have been fined more....much more. It's one thing to be overzealous during a play. But to get up and go after a guy who is on the ground and trying to knee him in the head, particularly with the awareness going on in the NFL regarding hits in the helmet and hits on defenseless players, should merit a heftier fine than that.

He should have been nailed for $50k.

November 19th, 2011, 11:15 pm
League MVP

i dont agree with the stafford fine, he doesnt play a position where one would be expected to know how to fight off a blocker. dlmen and lb ers grab the back of the helmet at times, i dont see any fights or fines there. maybe they should start fining all facemask and illegal hands to the face penalties too. i think the KVB and Fairley fines are the most legit, I didnt really see what Sims did to deseve a fine. Obv Moore deserved what he got but was probably spared more bc the refs correctly ejected him from the game.

November 20th, 2011, 6:39 am
3rd Round Selection

I.E. wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
I.E. wrote:
I'm not going talk re: the Stafford thing anymore. If you guys interpreted an innocent play on his part, then fine. If he isn't fined, then you'll know the league agrees with you. If he is, then the whole idea about "who got ejected" doesn't matter - it only means the officials didn't see the first offender (which frequently happens).

I fully expect Stafford to get fined, because it was an illegal play which the refs missed.

I completely disagree that this will mean that "the whole idea about "who got ejected" doesn't matter". I fully expect Stafford to get fined less than Moore and to be taking the field next Sunda, unlike Moore. I fully expect Moore to be the only player suspended for a game out of the Bears vs Lions match. And that is because Moore's action was clearly the worst piece of dirty play in that game.

And that's the point. A Bears player commits the worst foul of the game (note worst - not only), is ejected and cheered out of the stadium. But the talk the next day is about the dirty Lions. WTF?

WTF? Because objective people watched the game. Like you, I've been reading & listening to the talk after the game, and almost universally people are saying that Briggs and Peppers plays were maybe infractions but they weren't necessarily dirty ... while the intentional body slam by Fairley and the helmet-ripping are considered dirty.

What I'm seeing here is that most Lions fans don't have any problem with the way they're playing... including intentionally ripping helmets off. That's fine with me, but you can't have it both ways - you can't be proud of your team because they push the envelope the way they are ... and then complain about people other than the fans of your team thinking & talking about them playing dirty.

If that's who you want to be, then own it. Say, "yeah, we're dirty - so what?" Don't say, "...but but but ... you guys had a guy kicked out for responding to us ... so you're dirty too."

NFL confirms a Bears player had the dirtiest play of the game. Objectively.

I've accepted the Lions played dirty at times. Stafford got fined, like I said he would (much less that of Moore, also like I said). Only person unable to accept what happened in that game and that their team had their share of dirty plays (in fact - the dirtiest - objectively :) ) is you.

November 20th, 2011, 3:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next