View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions will finish 11-5 
Stadium Announcer

Post Lions will finish 11-5
I am saying that they will win 11 games this year and make the playoffs. I do not see them beating the Packers because Green Bay is in another time zone. All in all it will be a good year and next year look out. We have to improve in the secondary and the running game is probably the biggest need next comes the replacing of Backus and Chellius. (ck spelling). Do you all agree if not then what are their biggest needs for next year.

Last edited by georgechuvalo on November 15th, 2011, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 14th, 2011, 7:50 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Lions will finish 11-1
It's a 16 game schedule. And they have 3 loses already. I think I am going to have to downgrade my season predictions.

And P.S.

This should have gone either Here: http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15152

Or Here: http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12591

You should always look at the subjects of all the threads on the forum to see if your subject fits in with one of them. Otherwise, you become known as the guy that starts a new thread for every random thought you ever have.

November 14th, 2011, 10:37 am
Walk On

BillySims wrote:
It's a 16 game schedule. And they have 3 loses already. I think I am going to have to downgrade my season predictions.

And P.S.

This should have gone either Here: http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15152

Or Here: http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12591

You should always look at the subjects of all the threads on the forum to see if your subject fits in with one of them. Otherwise, you become known as the guy that starts a new thread for every random thought you ever have.

I remember that guy :lol:

I don't think 10-6 is unreasonable. My preseason prediction of 11-5 looks hard to attain at this point because of the rest of the schedule, but at the pace they're going they'd be 12-6 in an 18 game season, so 11-5 isn't out of the question.

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

November 14th, 2011, 10:46 am
RIP Killer

Oakland and San Diego are beatable teams. Minnesota should be a victory, as should the Carolina game. New Orleans is a tough call. They show up at home, and that's where the Lions have them, so I see that as certain loss, as well as the two GB games. If they can beat the Raiders and Chargers, then they'd be 10-6 and knocking on the door to the playoffs.

If they don't make the playoffs, I won't be surprised and not terribly disappointed. I had high hopes for them at the beginning of the season, but the reality is that this team still has some things that need addressing. They also are pretty much experiencing their first full season with Stafford at the helm. There's growing pains. One thing is for sure, Stafford better get his act together. He's playing scared right now.

November 14th, 2011, 11:20 am
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:
Oakland and San Diego are beatable teams. Minnesota should be a victory, as should the Carolina game. New Orleans is a tough call. They show up at home, and that's where the Lions have them, so I see that as certain loss, as well as the two GB games. If they can beat the Raiders and Chargers, then they'd be 10-6 and knocking on the door to the playoffs.

If they don't make the playoffs, I won't be surprised and not terribly disappointed. I had high hopes for them at the beginning of the season, but the reality is that this team still has some things that need addressing. They also are pretty much experiencing their first full season with Stafford at the helm. There's growing pains. One thing is for sure, Stafford better get his act together. He's playing scared right now.

These are pretty much my thoughts exactly. Expectations jumped way up after their start, but they are probably still a year or two from being truly ready to compete at the highest levels. As long as they don't nosedive the rest of the season, I'll be happy with this year. It's a big step forward from last year, and if that trend continues they'll be right there in a year or two.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 14th, 2011, 12:16 pm
3rd Round Selection

Where's the improvement coming in the next season or two, though?

The FAs for this squad in the next season or two are quite significant. We'll be drafting mid rounds. CJ could well leave unless we get some success soon. Stafford looks like he could put a glass ceiling on this team's potential unless he becomes a more consistent QB.

All of this is massively pessimistic, I realise. Apologies for that. I'm kind of saying it because I'd love to have someone put me in my place and cheer me up!

(and, BTW, agree completely with you and M2k that expectations shot up thanks to the start. Pre-season I'd have taken 9-7, definitely. Now it feels like a let down)

November 14th, 2011, 12:35 pm
QB Coach

UK Lion wrote:

The FAs for this squad in the next season or two are quite significant. We'll be drafting mid rounds. CJ could well leave unless we get some success soon. Stafford looks like he could put a glass ceiling on this team's potential unless he becomes a more consistent QB.

All of this is massively pessimistic, I realise. Apologies for that. I'm kind of saying it because I'd love to have someone put me in my place and cheer me up!

(and, BTW, agree completely with you and M2k that expectations shot up thanks to the start. Pre-season I'd have taken 9-7, definitely. Now it feels like a let down)

Remember this is only Stafford's first full season (assuming he stays healthy the rest of the way). That's huge. He'll improve a ton just by playing that much. Plus I think Young will be better next year as well. Also LeShoure will be back too. You're right CJ could leave, but I don't see that happening. They're finally showing signs of moving in the right direction and are getting some wins, so I can see him staying.

As for other players, who knows. Mayhew has done a good job of getting quality players from all over the place, so I don't think that's suddenly going to stop. So, I think we'll still be a better team.

Is that moderately cheery enough for you? :D

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 14th, 2011, 12:40 pm
3rd Round Selection

He he - cheers for that!

I've got a tonne of faith in Mayhew, really impressed with the job he's done. Having said that, whilst wheeling and dealing well is a great recipie to go from an awful to a decent team pretty fast I'm not sure it's going to put us over the top. Mayhew's ability to achieve that is still pretty unproven. At least our drafting has improved massively, especially in the mid rounds.

I hope you're right about Stafford. Whilst it may be his first full season in playing time, he's been around the league a long time and that's useful learning time for a QB. So whilst judging him by 3rd year standards is unfair, so is judging him by rookie standards IMO. I expect better from him. Hopefully he learns a lot this season and delivers better.

Fair point about Young. I've been impressed with him. On a similar score, I think that Fairley's starting to get into the groove and show that he can be a very good player. Hopefully with a full off season, he's a force to be reckoned with next year.

I really hope that CJ re-signs. Hopefully he sees that this team is going places and wants to stick around and finish the turnaround that he started. Can't say that a damp squib of a second half will help in that but, we can but hope.

Just got to keep reminding myself that the bad old Millen days are over, and that with Mayhew and Schwartz at the helm it's pretty reasonable to expect year on year improvement.

November 14th, 2011, 12:48 pm
QB Coach

UK Lion wrote:
He he - cheers for that!

I've got a tonne of faith in Mayhew, really impressed with the job he's done. Having said that, whilst wheeling and dealing well is a great recipie to go from an awful to a decent team pretty fast I'm not sure it's going to put us over the top. Mayhew's ability to achieve that is still pretty unproven. At least our drafting has improved massively, especially in the mid rounds.

I hope you're right about Stafford. Whilst it may be his first full season in playing time, he's been around the league a long time and that's useful learning time for a QB. So whilst judging him by 3rd year standards is unfair, so is judging him by rookie standards IMO. I expect better from him. Hopefully he learns a lot this season and delivers better.

Fair point about Young. I've been impressed with him. On a similar score, I think that Fairley's starting to get into the groove and show that he can be a very good player. Hopefully with a full off season, he's a force to be reckoned with next year.

I really hope that CJ re-signs. Hopefully he sees that this team is going places and wants to stick around and finish the turnaround that he started. Can't say that a damp squib of a second half will help in that but, we can but hope.

Just got to keep reminding myself that the bad old Millen days are over, and that with Mayhew and Schwartz at the helm it's pretty reasonable to expect year on year improvement.

The bolded part is key in my opinion. That's the one thing we all have to keep in mind. Things have trended up since Mayhew & Schwartz took over, and we have no reason to believe that will change.

November 14th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Hall of Fame Player

damp squib

Can someone translate that for me? LOL.

November 14th, 2011, 12:58 pm
3rd Round Selection

See here Billy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_(explosive)#Origin_of_the_phrase_.22damp_squib.22

Basically, a let down.

If we go 9-7, you'd feel more excited about re-signing in the off season if it was a 3-5 first half followed by a 6-2 second half rather than the other way round, I think.

November 14th, 2011, 1:05 pm
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:

Improvement can come in MANY forms for this football team. The obvious is the players themselves. But the not so obvious is the coaching. I'm not a big fan of Linehan and his playcalling. I think he's predictable and has little to no imagination at times. I would hope that somewhere along the line he starts adapting his playcalling to the players he has on the field, and comes up with some unique ways to get the ball in their hands. I also think that defensively there are times the Lions get a little too cautious. Pressure with the front four is great....but I'd like to see more sacks. That can be achieved by blitzing just a tad more. I also noticed that for whatever reason yesterday the Lions seemed to be running more zone coverages. Why? Bennett was constantly open because of his ability to find seams in the zones, not because he can outrun our DBs. When it looks like the other teams are just doing quick slants, our CBs are giving them more cushion and they just keep hitting the slants. Ridiculous. Special teams have been a disaster this whole season. The coverage teams are undisciplined. We were SUPPOSED to have signed some players who were going to improve our ST. It seems we miss Zack Follett more than most of us would have realized. Rashied Davis and Maurice Stovall are wastes of roster spots. When they are on ST they aren't doing their jobs, and when Stovall has gotten the chance to play on offense and has been targeted, he's dropped more passes than he's caught.

As for the players, we already know we need to re-tool the offensive line. We need two offensive tackles. We might have a RT in Hilliard or Culbreath. I have no interest in the Lions signing Gosder Cherilus to a second deal. He's not worth fourth round money, let alone the first round money he's been getting. We have several other players that are on short deals....Tulloch and Wright are only signed for this season. We need both of them back. Carpenter is on a one year deal, and he's a valuable backup. And then there are those other players coming to the end of their rookie deals.

Players of quality can be found in the mid-rounds. Jason Fox WAS a good draft pick. Scouting departments can't predict injuries. Fox wasn't injury prone in college. If you go by that, Adrian Peterson would have been a middle round pick. We got Willie Young in round seven. I see him as a future starter for this team. The scouting department under Schwartz and Mayhew are being listened to, and it's paying some dividends.

But the BIGGEST thing that needs to happen in the future of this team is the improvement of the discipline. That goes directly to Schwartz. I don't mind the team having a reputation for being hard hitting. Even for being somewhat nasty. But the fact is they are playing undisciplined football. It's what cost them yesterday. Not the penalties, but just not doing the little things right. Calvin and Nate not having the ball tucked away properly. Coverage teams leaving their lanes much too early. Not punting out of bounds when it was obvious that had to happen. Not to mention the extra-curricular stuff that is getting caught. It has to stop.

November 14th, 2011, 5:40 pm
Walk On

What's the latest word on LeShoure? IMO that was a catastrophc loss. Will he be able to play? I heard rumblings that was in some question... which stinks because I was jacked that the Lions drafted him.

November 14th, 2011, 7:38 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I.E. wrote:
What's the latest word on LeShoure? IMO that was a catastrophc loss. Will he be able to play? I heard rumblings that was in some question... which stinks because I was jacked that the Lions drafted him.

I don't know but if we have a shot at Trent Richardson, Marcus Lattimore, or another good powerback I hope we pull the trigger. I was also opposed to not keeping a FB

November 14th, 2011, 7:56 pm
Stadium Announcer

Post Re: Lions will finish 11-5
Opps my bad, I just read what I posted and had to re-edit this message. I know its 16 games I just made a error, easy on me now.

November 15th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next