View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions will finish 11-5 
Stadium Announcer

Post Re: Lions will finish 11-1
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
Where's the improvement coming in the next season or two, though?

The FAs for this squad in the next season or two are quite significant. We'll be drafting mid rounds. CJ could well leave unless we get some success soon. Stafford looks like he could put a glass ceiling on this team's potential unless he becomes a more consistent QB.

All of this is massively pessimistic, I realise. Apologies for that. I'm kind of saying it because I'd love to have someone put me in my place and cheer me up!

(and, BTW, agree completely with you and M2k that expectations shot up thanks to the start. Pre-season I'd have taken 9-7, definitely. Now it feels like a let down)

Remember this is only Stafford's first full season (assuming he stays healthy the rest of the way). That's huge. He'll improve a ton just by playing that much. Plus I think Young will be better next year as well. Also LeShoure will be back too. You're right CJ could leave, but I don't see that happening. They're finally showing signs of moving in the right direction and are getting some wins, so I can see him staying.

As for other players, who knows. Mayhew has done a good job of getting quality players from all over the place, so I don't think that's suddenly going to stop. So, I think we'll still be a better team.

Is that moderately cheery enough for you? :D

Sure Lashoure will be back but how effective will he be that was a major injury and not many players are the same after that injury, I'm just saying.

November 15th, 2011, 10:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Lions will finish 11-1
UK Lion wrote:
Where's the improvement coming in the next season or two, though?

The FAs for this squad in the next season or two are quite significant. We'll be drafting mid rounds. CJ could well leave unless we get some success soon. Stafford looks like he could put a glass ceiling on this team's potential unless he becomes a more consistent QB.

All of this is massively pessimistic, I realise. Apologies for that. I'm kind of saying it because I'd love to have someone put me in my place and cheer me up!

(and, BTW, agree completely with you and M2k that expectations shot up thanks to the start. Pre-season I'd have taken 9-7, definitely. Now it feels like a let down)

we are on the cusp of being contenders 2 years after 0-16 and you are asking where the improvement will come from?

November 16th, 2011, 12:58 am
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: Lions will finish 11-5
I think it's a fair question, Killwill. The league is structured to help you get from 0-16 to 8-8. The cap, the draft, schedulling - all of these things help pull teams back to the mean. Equally, those things resist teams from pulling above the mean.

I think it's much easier in the NFL to get an 0-16 team to 8-8 in 2 years than an 8-8 team to a Superbowl in 2 years.

If you'd read the full exchange, though, you'd have seen that ultimately I feel that this team will manage to become a playoff contender and was asking the question because I wanted to hear some of the detail in the answer.

November 16th, 2011, 6:50 am
Div 1 - Starter

The only way the Lions can finish 11-5 is if they go 5-2 in their remaining seven games, which means beating either Green Bay or New Orleans. They need to get lucky and have either the Packers or the Saints play against them the way they did against the Bears.

November 17th, 2011, 1:46 am
Walk On

Growler wrote:
The only way the Lions can finish 11-5 is if they go 5-2 in their remaining seven games, which means beating either Green Bay or New Orleans. They need to get lucky and have either the Packers or the Saints play against them the way they did against the Bears.

Any given sunday.

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

November 17th, 2011, 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2