View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 When you kick to Hester... 
Hall of Fame Player

Post When you kick to Hester...
...You lose your gig!

The Detroit News wrote:
November 16. 2011 12:12PM.

Lions sign former Australian-rules punter

Chris McCosky/ The Detroit News

Allen Park — The Lions confirmed what was reported Tuesday night — they have signed Australian-rules football punter Ben Graham and released Robert Malone.

Graham, 38, has kicked for three NFL teams — the Jets, Saints and Cardinals. His career average is 44 yards with a 37.7-yard net.

He will punt Sunday if starting punter Ryan Donahue can't go. Donahue, who has a strained right quad, was expected to test the leg Wednesday.

The Lions also made a practice squad move, signing defensive end Ugo Chinasa, rookie out of Oklahoma State. He replaces Kyle Moore, who was signed by the Bills on Tuesday.

Several key defensive players did not practice Wednesday. Safety Amari Spievey (unspecified), and defensive ends Lawrence Jackson (unspecified) and Kyle Vanden Bosch (rest) were out.

Defensive end Willie Young, with a sleeve on his lower left leg, was on the field but working with a trainer.

Running back Jahvid Best (concussion) is still not cleared for practice.

Quarterback Matthew Stafford continues to wear gloves. He was the throwing the ball crisply and accurately during the early portion of practice.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111116/SPO ... z1du0vVmeQ

Truth be told, I blame the Special Teams coaching more for the problems with Hester last Sunday. Be that as it may, we have a new Punter. Schwartz was true to his word and made some changes.

November 16th, 2011, 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: When you kick to Hester...
how hard is it to tell the punter before he goes out there "KICK THE MOTHER F@#%ING BALL OUT OF BOUNDS!"

November 16th, 2011, 4:46 pm
NFL Team Captain

conversion02 wrote:
how hard is it to tell the punter before he goes out there "KICK THE MOTHER F@#%ING BALL OUT OF BOUNDS!"

Since he got sh!t canned, I'm assuming he was told to "KICK THE MOTHER F@#%ING BALL OUT OF BOUNDS!" :lol:

November 16th, 2011, 9:03 pm
RIP Killer

In defense of Malone, I think he tried to punt the ball out of bounds and the wind pushed the ball back in bounds. Hester was right up against the sidelines when he got his big return. The point is, the coverage team failed, but Malone paid the price for it. The coverage teams have been sucking all season long.

November 16th, 2011, 11:07 pm
3rd Round Selection

With Donahue in, our coverage has sucked. With Malone in, our coverage sucked. When Graham plays and our coverage still sucks, do you think the coaching staff might start to realise it's the coverage team and not the punter that's the problem?

November 17th, 2011, 5:31 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
In defense of Malone, I think he tried to punt the ball out of bounds and the wind pushed the ball back in bounds. Hester was right up against the sidelines when he got his big return. The point is, the coverage team failed, but Malone paid the price for it. The coverage teams have been sucking all season long.

You are 100% correct, Hester was pinned against the sideline. I'm assuming Malone was told to do that but the coverage couldn't cover. Maybe he did try to kick it out. I guess we'll never know.

UK Lion wrote:
With Donahue in, our coverage has sucked. With Malone in, our coverage sucked. When Graham plays and our coverage still sucks, do you think the coaching staff might start to realise it's the coverage team and not the punter that's the problem?

I think that's the problem. The coaching staff.

November 17th, 2011, 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Crossman was like that in Carolina: one year he had one of the top squads, the next year one of the worst. I think he's the problem.

November 17th, 2011, 10:12 am
RIP Killer

Kwan was fired because the coveerage units were garbage, now it's crossman. I'm not buying it. I think it's the useless ST 'aces' they're signing, like Davis and Stovall and Logan.

November 17th, 2011, 10:28 am
Walk On

LionFan57 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

You are 100% correct, Hester was pinned against the sideline. I'm assuming Malone was told to do that but the coverage couldn't cover. Maybe he did try to kick it out. I guess we'll never know.

UK Lion wrote:

I think that's the problem. The coaching staff.

I think he tried to kick it out of bounds as deep as he could ... but then the wind kept it in ... resulting in outkicking the coverage.

November 17th, 2011, 10:30 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
This is clearly on Special Teams Coaching.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

November 17th, 2011, 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]