View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 1:58 am



Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Stafford to wear the glove again this week... 
Author Message
Junior Varsity
User avatar

Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 10:50 pm
Posts: 191
Location: Fairfax, VA
Post Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
How the heck does a glove help with a broken finger anyway?




Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford will wear a glove on his passing hand for the second straight game on Sunday against the Panthers, but this time he says not to expect a repeat of his four-interception performance against the Bears.

Instead, Stafford said, he has practiced with his glove on and is now comfortable passing with it.

“It’s the first time I’ve really hurt my throwing hand,” Stafford told MLive.com. “Just trying to find different ways, whatever works for [me] as far as learning how to throw with it and things like that. The last couple of weeks, I’ve figured out how to get around it and throw just fine with it.”

It’s a little hard to take Stafford’s comments at face value for a couple of reasons. The first is that he looked absolutely horrible in Sunday’s loss to the Bears, which was the first time in his life that he had worn a glove on his passing hand. Stafford entered the Bears game with four interceptions all season, and then he proceeded to throw four interceptions in one game at Chicago. He says he’s learned how to throw with it over “the last couple of weeks,” but it sure didn’t look like he had learned how to throw with a glove last week.

The other reason it’s hard to take Stafford’s comments at face value is that he and the Lions have spread some misinformation about his finger injury. During the broadcast of the Lions-Bears game, FOX reported that Stafford had said it was the Chicago weather that led him to wear a glove. It was only after the game that Stafford revealed he had a broken finger, and obviously weather wasn’t his reason for wearing a glove if he’s going to keep wearing a glove indoors at Ford Field.

Based on the way Stafford played against the Bears, it’s hard to see why the Lions wouldn’t sit him out until his broken finger heals. Backup Shaun Hill played reasonably well for the Lions last year, when Stafford missed most of the season with a shoulder injury. If Stafford doesn’t play a lot better in Detroit this week than he played in Chicago last week, it may be time for him to head to the bench.


November 17th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Profile
Afghan Allstar
User avatar

Joined: January 9th, 2006, 1:16 pm
Posts: 564
Location: San Diego, CA
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
It was reported that he had his finger in a splint and was using the glove for extra grip.


November 17th, 2011, 9:07 pm
Profile
Position Coach

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2125
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
I'm predicting that he has the second best game of his career

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


November 18th, 2011, 9:19 pm
Profile
Position Coach

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2125
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
Killwill25 wrote:
I'm predicting that he has the second best game of his career

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


November 20th, 2011, 5:22 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 954
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
Are you a witch?

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


November 20th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
Is everyone ready to stop talking about the glove?

Just stop!! This is stupid!

_________________
Image


November 20th, 2011, 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10270
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
He did have a handful of duck wobble throws, which can be attributed to the gloves, but he threw some sweet balls (like the magical offensive PI on Titus that negated an awesome 40 yard grab)

However, give the line a little credit. He was getting hammered last week. This week he had a good amount of time to progress through his reads

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


November 20th, 2011, 6:53 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
conversion02 wrote:
He did have a handful of duck wobble throws, which can be attributed to the gloves, but he threw some sweet balls (like the magical offensive PI on Titus that negated an awesome 40 yard grab)

However, give the line a little credit. He was getting hammered last week. This week he had a good amount of time to progress through his reads


I think you're crediting the line for simply lining up against a below average D-Line. We've seen to many times how our O-Line does against a tough defense.

_________________
Image


November 20th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Posts: 2478
Location: Michigan
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
IDK why everyone is so hard on this team. They lost to the 49er's .... 9-1 They lost to the Falcon's 6 -4..... and they lost to their divison rival Bears 7 -3.

The 49er's and the Falcons are similar teams. Both run first teams with great offensive lines and good running games and good quarterbacks. and the Bears were fortunate enough to catch us on an off day.

either way, 3 very good teams with above average qb's beat us. Barely on 2 occasions. and the Bears game was just as ugly as the Panther's game started today.

The best measuring stick this season so far is the Packers game. Even IF we do lose, we still aren't losing to anyone to be ashamed of. The Lions are for real this year. Maybe not perfect, but better than we've seen in a long long time.

I LOVED THE GAME TODAY, don't understand why some of you have to be such bastards about the whole thing. 7 -3 and can't find one good thing to say without an asterisk. Maybe I'm just too optimistic to listen to so much b.s. and don't deal with the losses as well as some of the cornerstones of this site, but I'll be god damned if I can read another Lion bashing post from a team that has played so well , with such a great quarterback.

1 QUARTERBACK EVER has thrown more TD's than Stafford. ONE with 6 games to go. Our Oline isn't as bad as people in this forum want to think, and Kevin smith didn't fall down for a 2 yard loss once today.
Bite me

_________________
[b]New York Giants 26 - San Fransisco 3 - CandleStick Park - Who's got it better than us???[/b]


November 20th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9766
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
Ferris wrote:
IDK why everyone is so hard on this team. They lost to the 49er's .... 9-1 They lost to the Falcon's 6 -4..... and they lost to their divison rival Bears 7 -3.

The 49er's and the Falcons are similar teams. Both run first teams with great offensive lines and good running games and good quarterbacks. and the Bears were fortunate enough to catch us on an off day.

either way, 3 very good teams with above average qb's beat us. Barely on 2 occasions. and the Bears game was just as ugly as the Panther's game started today.

The best measuring stick this season so far is the Packers game. Even IF we do lose, we still aren't losing to anyone to be ashamed of. The Lions are for real this year. Maybe not perfect, but better than we've seen in a long long time.

I LOVED THE GAME TODAY, don't understand why some of you have to be such bastards about the whole thing. 7 -3 and can't find one good thing to say without an asterisk. Maybe I'm just too optimistic to listen to so much b.s. and don't deal with the losses as well as some of the cornerstones of this site, but I'll be god damned if I can read another Lion bashing post from a team that has played so well , with such a great quarterback.

1 QUARTERBACK EVER has thrown more TD's than Stafford. ONE with 6 games to go. Our Oline isn't as bad as people in this forum want to think, and Kevin smith didn't fall down for a 2 yard loss once today.
Bite me


Listen, if you don't like that fact that everyone thinks everything is all sunshine and roses because the team won against a banged up 2-8 Carolina squad with a rookie QB and new HC, then maybe you should just not read the posts.

The Lions may have lost to some good teams, but the only team they beat worth a damn in the Bears in their first meeting. Tampa, Denver, Minnesota, Dallas and Kansas City aren't what I would call good teams. The Lions aren't playing consistent football, which is what they need to do to beat the teams on their upcoming schedule. The only "sure" win is against Minnesota, and even that's not a lock.

You can't sit there and tell me that if the Lions spot the Saints, Packers (twice), Chargers or Raiders 17 points in the first half, they'll pull out the ball game in the second half. That simply won't happen. You know it, I know it, and so does everyone else on this forum.

It's not that we aren't happy with the win, but you have to keep your eyes open and analyze what really happened. Yes, the Lions are 7-3 right now. But they could EASILY end up 8-8 if they continue to play this inconsistent style of offense. Would THAT make you happy?

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


November 20th, 2011, 10:26 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Posts: 2478
Location: Michigan
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
m2karateman wrote:
Ferris wrote:
IDK why everyone is so hard on this team. They lost to the 49er's .... 9-1 They lost to the Falcon's 6 -4..... and they lost to their divison rival Bears 7 -3.

The 49er's and the Falcons are similar teams. Both run first teams with great offensive lines and good running games and good quarterbacks. and the Bears were fortunate enough to catch us on an off day.

either way, 3 very good teams with above average qb's beat us. Barely on 2 occasions. and the Bears game was just as ugly as the Panther's game started today.

The best measuring stick this season so far is the Packers game. Even IF we do lose, we still aren't losing to anyone to be ashamed of. The Lions are for real this year. Maybe not perfect, but better than we've seen in a long long time.

I LOVED THE GAME TODAY, don't understand why some of you have to be such bastards about the whole thing. 7 -3 and can't find one good thing to say without an asterisk. Maybe I'm just too optimistic to listen to so much b.s. and don't deal with the losses as well as some of the cornerstones of this site, but I'll be god damned if I can read another Lion bashing post from a team that has played so well , with such a great quarterback.

1 QUARTERBACK EVER has thrown more TD's than Stafford. ONE with 6 games to go. Our Oline isn't as bad as people in this forum want to think, and Kevin smith didn't fall down for a 2 yard loss once today.
Bite me


Listen, if you don't like that fact that everyone thinks everything is all sunshine and roses because the team won against a banged up 2-8 Carolina squad with a rookie QB and new HC, then maybe you should just not read the posts.

The Lions may have lost to some good teams, but the only team they beat worth a damn in the Bears in their first meeting. Tampa, Denver, Minnesota, Dallas and Kansas City aren't what I would call good teams. The Lions aren't playing consistent football, which is what they need to do to beat the teams on their upcoming schedule. The only "sure" win is against Minnesota, and even that's not a lock.

You can't sit there and tell me that if the Lions spot the Saints, Packers (twice), Chargers or Raiders 17 points in the first half, they'll pull out the ball game in the second half. That simply won't happen. You know it, I know it, and so does everyone else on this forum.

It's not that we aren't happy with the win, but you have to keep your eyes open and analyze what really happened. Yes, the Lions are 7-3 right now. But they could EASILY end up 8-8 if they continue to play this inconsistent style of offense. Would THAT make you happy?


Imagine that a debate? The Cowboys at 6-4 aren't worth a damn, but are the ONLY TEAM to beat the 49er's.????? and the Chiefs aren't worth a damn but they shut out the Raiders, and beat the Chargers. Denver aint chit but won 4 out of 5 with Tebow with the lone loss to the Lions?. And Tampa Bay beat the Falcons and the Saints, but aint chit.

Any given Sunday is my point. Lions won 7.

They actually are built to beat the Saints and the Packers, more than the 49er's and the Falcons. so Yes, Im happy at 7-3.

_________________
[b]New York Giants 26 - San Fransisco 3 - CandleStick Park - Who's got it better than us???[/b]


November 20th, 2011, 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity
User avatar

Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 10:50 pm
Posts: 191
Location: Fairfax, VA
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
m2karateman wrote:
Listen, if you don't like that fact that everyone thinks everything is all sunshine and roses because the team won against a banged up 2-8 Carolina squad with a rookie QB and new HC, then maybe you should just not read the posts.

The Lions may have lost to some good teams, but the only team they beat worth a damn in the Bears in their first meeting. Tampa, Denver, Minnesota, Dallas and Kansas City aren't what I would call good teams. The Lions aren't playing consistent football, which is what they need to do to beat the teams on their upcoming schedule. The only "sure" win is against Minnesota, and even that's not a lock.

You can't sit there and tell me that if the Lions spot the Saints, Packers (twice), Chargers or Raiders 17 points in the first half, they'll pull out the ball game in the second half. That simply won't happen. You know it, I know it, and so does everyone else on this forum.

It's not that we aren't happy with the win, but you have to keep your eyes open and analyze what really happened. Yes, the Lions are 7-3 right now. But they could EASILY end up 8-8 if they continue to play this inconsistent style of offense. Would THAT make you happy?



Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm excited about a win, but we still gave up a crap load of points to a lousy team. Inconsistant is definitely the way to describe this team, and it's QB, and its D-line play. All that siad, I'm happy with a win today and very happy with Smith's performance. I never would have predicted that.


November 20th, 2011, 11:29 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
Ferris wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Ferris wrote:
IDK why everyone is so hard on this team. They lost to the 49er's .... 9-1 They lost to the Falcon's 6 -4..... and they lost to their divison rival Bears 7 -3.

The 49er's and the Falcons are similar teams. Both run first teams with great offensive lines and good running games and good quarterbacks. and the Bears were fortunate enough to catch us on an off day.

either way, 3 very good teams with above average qb's beat us. Barely on 2 occasions. and the Bears game was just as ugly as the Panther's game started today.

The best measuring stick this season so far is the Packers game. Even IF we do lose, we still aren't losing to anyone to be ashamed of. The Lions are for real this year. Maybe not perfect, but better than we've seen in a long long time.

I LOVED THE GAME TODAY, don't understand why some of you have to be such bastards about the whole thing. 7 -3 and can't find one good thing to say without an asterisk. Maybe I'm just too optimistic to listen to so much b.s. and don't deal with the losses as well as some of the cornerstones of this site, but I'll be god damned if I can read another Lion bashing post from a team that has played so well , with such a great quarterback.

1 QUARTERBACK EVER has thrown more TD's than Stafford. ONE with 6 games to go. Our Oline isn't as bad as people in this forum want to think, and Kevin smith didn't fall down for a 2 yard loss once today.
Bite me


Listen, if you don't like that fact that everyone thinks everything is all sunshine and roses because the team won against a banged up 2-8 Carolina squad with a rookie QB and new HC, then maybe you should just not read the posts.

The Lions may have lost to some good teams, but the only team they beat worth a damn in the Bears in their first meeting. Tampa, Denver, Minnesota, Dallas and Kansas City aren't what I would call good teams. The Lions aren't playing consistent football, which is what they need to do to beat the teams on their upcoming schedule. The only "sure" win is against Minnesota, and even that's not a lock.

You can't sit there and tell me that if the Lions spot the Saints, Packers (twice), Chargers or Raiders 17 points in the first half, they'll pull out the ball game in the second half. That simply won't happen. You know it, I know it, and so does everyone else on this forum.

It's not that we aren't happy with the win, but you have to keep your eyes open and analyze what really happened. Yes, the Lions are 7-3 right now. But they could EASILY end up 8-8 if they continue to play this inconsistent style of offense. Would THAT make you happy?


Imagine that a debate? The Cowboys at 6-4 aren't worth a damn, but are the ONLY TEAM to beat the 49er's.????? and the Chiefs aren't worth a damn but they shut out the Raiders, and beat the Chargers. Denver aint chit but won 4 out of 5 with Tebow with the lone loss to the Lions?. And Tampa Bay beat the Falcons and the Saints, but aint chit.

Any given Sunday is my point. Lions won 7.

They actually are built to beat the Saints and the Packers, more than the 49er's and the Falcons. so Yes, Im happy at 7-3.


Ferris, do you believe in Santa Claus & the Tooth Fairy too?! Is your fantasy land drug induced or just the product of a team that's finally starting to look decent after 10 years of being the NFL's laughing stock?

Lighten up!!

I think everyone is happy that we're no longer the nations punch line and I'm confident everyone likes the direction Mayhew & Schwartz are taken the team. But M2K is right, we have a long way to go before we're a legit contender.

Maybe my expectations are higher than yours but 8-8 just doesn't cut it for me! That's NOT enough of an improvement over last years 6 wins!! It's just NOT! Especially after starting 5-0. Anything less than 9-7 is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. At this point, I want the Lions to win 10 games and make the play offs. I guarantee you Schwartz is not breaking his arm patting people on the back over this victory! He's already focused on Thursday's game and he wants the team focused on exactly that too.

We've had FAR to many years of losing and before that, a lifetime of mediocrity. Do you know how teams get to be mediocre? They START by being satisfied with beating up on a losing team. YOU go be happy and satified they won if you want! I choose to be appalled that they allowed a 2-8 team to score 35 points. The way you see the problem IS the problem!!

I want a Lions team that knows how to step on their opponents throat and choke the life out of them. I want to run up the score, take their home field advantage away and have our starters sitting on the bench in the 4th quarter.

As the saying goes, "Winners go home and F%*K the prom queen". Losers just suck on a$$holes and embarrass themselves in the process.

_________________
Image


November 21st, 2011, 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Position Coach

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2125
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
Quote:
Ferris, do you believe in Santa Claus & the Tooth Fairy too?! Is your fantasy land drug induced or just the product of a team that's finally starting to look decent after 10 years of being the NFL's laughing stock?

Lighten up!!

I think everyone is happy that we're no longer the nations punch line and I'm confident everyone likes the direction Mayhew & Schwartz are taken the team. But M2K is right, we have a long way to go before we're a legit contender.

Maybe my expectations are higher than yours but 8-8 just doesn't cut it for me! That's NOT enough of an improvement over last years 6 wins!! It's just NOT! Especially after starting 5-0. Anything less than 9-7 is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. At this point, I want the Lions to win 10 games and make the play offs. I guarantee you Schwartz is not breaking his arm patting people on the back over this victory! He's already focused on Thursday's game and he wants the team focused on exactly that too.

We've had FAR to many years of losing and before that, a lifetime of mediocrity. Do you know how teams get to be mediocre? They START by being satisfied with beating up on a losing team. YOU go be happy and satified they won if you want! I choose to be appalled that they allowed a 2-8 team to score 35 points. The way you see the problem IS the problem!!

I want a Lions team that knows how to step on their opponents throat and choke the life out of them. I want to run up the score, take their home field advantage away and have our starters sitting on the bench in the 4th quarter.

LOL at you telling the optimist to lighten up. You can be appalled all you want by the Car performance, they almost beat the Packers and the Bears too and if you really thought we were gonna kill the panthers you damn sure did'nt say it.

@m2k, EVERY SINGLE TEAM HAS FLAWS. Maybe the guy doesn't see us as an 8-8 team like you do. If you can't see why some of us thought that was a very entertaining game then I guess I'm wasting my time explaining it to you.

This team definetly has it's issues but there is more good than bad on this team. Maybe with a little more help in the run game we can better success earlier in games. But if you want to bitch about wins, it would be nice if you had actual ideas on how to improve rather than just complaints all the time.

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


November 21st, 2011, 3:14 am
Profile
Position Coach

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2125
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Stafford to wear the glove again this week...
Footsoldier32 wrote:
Are you a witch?

lol, I also predicted 2 rushing TDs for Cam in the prediction page

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


November 21st, 2011, 3:42 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.