View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 25th, 2018, 3:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
Growler wrote:
Hopefully hosting a disheartened Minnesota team will be exactly what the Lions need to get back on the winning path and start a three game winning streak. I'd like to see them beat the Vikings decisively like they did against Kansas City or Denver. It's definitely a must-win game.

It was great to see both Chicago and Atlanta lose. Hopefully Chicago's loss to a poor Kansas City team is a sign that they won't finish any better than 9-7 and hopefully 8-8.

Stop, just please stop. The same things were said before the Denver and Carolina games. "If they can beat these guys, they can get back on track."

It doesn't work that way....at least not for this team. The followed up those wins by sh!tting the bed in their next games. EVERY game is a MUST WIN game for this team right now. They are 7-5 and must win at least three more games minimally to make the playoffs. However, the way they are acting like assholes on the field, they don't deserve a playoff berth. Teams know, and know very well, EXACTLY what to do to beat this team. Smother Calvin Johnson, and taunt these guys until they f**k up again and draw a flag.

Last nights game disgusted me. Their lack of control is ridiculous. Yes, the officiating was VERY, VERY lopsided.
BUT THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GAIN THE REPUTATION OF BEING A DIRTY TEAM!! What the other team gets away with, you will not. It's been like that in the NFL since the dawn of time.

This team needs to grow the f**k up, and do it fast. Quit blaming the refs, blaming the NFL and blaming anyone else. Look in the mirror and tell the dumb f**ker standing across from you to be a man, act like a man, and quit acting like a spoiled child who didn't get the candy in the grocery checkout line.

Schwartz needs to stop being a friend and/or therapist and start acting like a prison warden. Personally, I'd bench Pettigrew, Logan and Young for the Vikings game. If possible, I'd fine them a game check and give it to NFL Charities. This team hasn't learned anything from Suh getting suspended. Even the 0-16 team had more self control than these idiots. And that team had every reason to pull stupid stuff on the field.

These guys have become an embarrassment.

December 5th, 2011, 10:10 am
Player of the Year - Offense

Not to excuse their behavior, but I think the reason they're getting so upset is that it's like they're playing two teams--the opposing team AND the refs. Of course, this just puts a ridiculous cycle in motion, but I can at least see where they're coming from.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

December 5th, 2011, 10:14 am
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Not to excuse their behavior, but I think the reason they're getting so upset is that it's like they're playing two teams--the opposing team AND the refs. Of course, this just puts a ridiculous cycle in motion, but I can at least see where they're coming from.

They might be getting a few bad calls against them, but it is in now way that blatant and even then it's not an excuse. 15 yard penalties after the play are never excusable. Never.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 5th, 2011, 10:16 am
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

They might be getting a few bad calls against them, but it is in now way that blatant and even then it's not an excuse. 15 yard penalties after the play are never excusable. Never.

THIS.

The Lions were almost revelling in their dirty team moniker earlier in the season. You reap what you sow. You want to encourage this, then you must suffer the consequences. The officials are looking for the Lions to do something wrong. I agree, the officiating last night was lopsided, and I hope the Lions send a tape to the NFL officials with a sticky note to it saying "WHAT THE F**K?!?!".

But at this point, it's like the schoolyard bully pointing to his victim and saying "he started it". Nobody is going to believe him or listen to his story.

Because of their reputation, because of their bad boy image, the Lions are going to have to be cleaner, nicer, calmer than the other teams. They are going to have to accept that they will get flagged for the most minor contact, for the most questionable reasons.

As it stands, this team has no chance of shedding that reputation, and there's no way they'll fix it this season. They will struggle with it early next season as well.

Last night, they didn't just shoot themselves in the foot....they emptied the whole damn clip in it and reloaded.

December 5th, 2011, 10:24 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

The Lions really did get a gift this weekend with all the primary wildcard contenders losing. Now, I'm thinking that 3 wins will get them in, especially with the Bears losing Forte. They must defend their home turf against the Vikings and the Chargers, while picking up another win against either the Raiders or Packers. It's possible, but will they be disciplined enough to do it?

December 6th, 2011, 11:17 am
League MVP

slybri19 wrote:
The Lions really did get a gift this weekend with all the primary wildcard contenders losing. Now, I'm thinking that 3 wins will get them in, especially with the Bears losing Forte. They must defend their home turf against the Vikings and the Chargers, while picking up another win against either the Raiders or Packers. It's possible, but will they be disciplined enough to do it?

Im thinking the Bears will continue to lose because Caleb Hanie is just not going to get it done, ESPECIALLY without Forte. Vikings should be a win and Oakland will be tough, but I think we are a better team and will come away with a road win. Chargers...depends what team shows up on both ends. Im counting the Packers as a loss. We play them tough, but at Lambeau, I think GB wins.

December 6th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Bowen nails it:

Matt Bowen wrote:
3. Are the Lions most talented Wild Card threat?: Detroit can move the ball consistently on offense and when Ndamukong Suh comes back from his suspension, the Lions’ front seven can play the run and pressure the QB. Matthew Stafford will continue to put up numbers and with Calvin Johnson they can test the top of any defense in the NFL. What concerns me is the production in the run game and lack of discipline we see on game days. A true sign of a young team that doesn’t have playoff experience. Size up the talent in Detroit and we should be looking at a playoff team. But in order to do that, the penalties and mistakes in crucial game situations can’t continue to show up.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Fiv ... -race.html

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

December 7th, 2011, 9:39 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Bowen nails it:

Matt Bowen wrote:
3. Are the Lions most talented Wild Card threat?: Detroit can move the ball consistently on offense and when Ndamukong Suh comes back from his suspension, the Lions’ front seven can play the run and pressure the QB. Matthew Stafford will continue to put up numbers and with Calvin Johnson they can test the top of any defense in the NFL. What concerns me is the production in the run game and lack of discipline we see on game days. A true sign of a young team that doesn’t have playoff experience. Size up the talent in Detroit and we should be looking at a playoff team. But in order to do that, the penalties and mistakes in crucial game situations can’t continue to show up.

This has been said almost word for word by several people on this forum, for a couple weeks now.

December 7th, 2011, 10:51 am

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Bowen nails it:

Matt Bowen wrote:

This has been said almost word for word by several people on this forum, for a couple weeks now.

True, but I thought it was worth repeating. It's so frustrating when you see that we could legitimately beat any team we've played if we had just had our heads screwed on straight.

December 7th, 2011, 11:20 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Bowen nails it:

Matt Bowen wrote:

True, but I thought it was worth repeating. It's so frustrating when you see that we could legitimately beat any team we've played if we had just had our heads screwed on straight.

Exactly. I understand those people who are saying 'why are you so upset, we're 7-5 and doing better than in over a decade....'

That's not the point. The point is that this team has not met its potential, and could be so much better if not for the blatant stupidity permeating certain elements. I was more pleased with the way this team played in the last four games of last year than I have been any four game stretch this year, including the 5-0 start.

December 7th, 2011, 12:49 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

M2K- I'm one of those people happy about being 7-5...but you are absolutely right about the team not meeting its potential. I wholeheartedly agree.

However, I typically make the "we should be happy with the team's progress" argument when folks start suggesting that Schwartz is a source of the team's problems, indicating that he should be on the hot seat. The team has gotten better every year since he's arrived and now that the team has hit a rough stretch, too many fans are ignoring everything he's accomplished. The fact that the team even has potential demonstrates what Schwartz (and Mayhew) have built. Gotta let them follow through on what they started. I'm officially banging the drum for a Schwartz contract extension.

December 7th, 2011, 1:24 pm
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

I'm happy with the season so far due to the fact that it has met my expectaions. I said at the beginning that 8-8 is what I expect with a cap of 10-6 if stafford was healthy all year. Iafter seeing the scedule I knew full well that most of the wins woiuld come before the bi.

Im not happy with the lack of discapline I've been seeing...starting with the coach himself in the 49ers fiasco, but im still satisfied with the team as a whole up to this point.

December 7th, 2011, 1:31 pm
National Champion

I'd like to point out being happy is not the same as being satisfied. I'm happy we are 7-5 but won't be satisfied until we are at least 9 wins.

December 7th, 2011, 2:01 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Bowen nails it:

Matt Bowen wrote:

This all.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 7th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

aManNamedSuh wrote:
I'd like to point out being happy is not the same as being satisfied. I'm happy we are 7-5 but won't be satisfied until we are at least 9 wins.

This. Except 10 wins would be much more satisfying :wink: It would be amazing to go to the playoffs but the comments about us not being a playoff team make a lot of sense. Can I actually, for the first time in a decade, believe it's going to actually get better next year? I think so! Might need to change my trademark fantasy football moniker (xDrunkonKoolAidx)

December 7th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next