View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:59 am



Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs 
Author Message
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
Heading to the playoffs would be amazing. the issue at hand is this: who at the beginning of the season thought we were going to the playoffs???

some of us got a little wrapped up in 5-0. sorry..we simply arn't quite that good yet. and like it or not before we are, we ARE going to stumble a time or two. the fact taht we are so close...and might actually make the playoffs...makes me a little giddy!

i understand people being upset by the thuglike, undisciplined behavior we've been seeing, And I am right there with you. but anyone who is upset by us not making the playoffs is someone focused too much on today and not the bigger picture.

From someone who is standing back a little bit and trying to see that bigger picture....man things are niiiiiiice! 8)

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


December 7th, 2011, 5:20 pm
Profile
1st Round Pick
User avatar

Joined: May 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
regularjoe12 wrote:
i understand people being upset by the thuglike, undisciplined behavior we've been seeing, And I am right there with you. but anyone who is upset by us not making the playoffs is someone focused too much on today and not the bigger picture.


I actually like it to a certrain point. I like that this team is not going to get pushed around anymore and that were going to stick up for ourselfs. Don't get me wrong what Suh did was over board but I love this team is going hard.

_________________
Image

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U


December 7th, 2011, 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

Joined: March 11th, 2010, 4:39 pm
Posts: 127
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
Speaking of the Suh "stompgate" (isn't it stupid that every breaking news story in the world including handshakegate has to end with a gate?) I know not everyone on here is a fan of Bleacherreport but this guy made some interesting points that in no way excuse Suh's reaction but do shed some light on the lack of vigilance the refs have displayed toward any team playing the Lions:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/962455-why-ndamukong-suh-is-both-the-aggressor-and-victim-of-stomp-related-suspension

_________________
Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast!


December 8th, 2011, 10:21 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
wow, amazing article.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


December 9th, 2011, 9:37 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
Good article.

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


December 9th, 2011, 12:59 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
Repost: viewtopic.php?f=4&p=209681#p209681

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 9th, 2011, 1:16 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
Amazing article. It doesnt make it any better for Suh stomping, but it definetly raises some eyebrows and at least makes you better understand why he got so frustrated.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


December 9th, 2011, 6:34 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
m2karateman wrote:
Yes, the officiating was VERY, VERY lopsided.
BUT THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GAIN THE REPUTATION OF BEING A DIRTY TEAM!! What the other team gets away with, you will not. It's been like that in the NFL since the dawn of time.


M2K,

I really wish people would quit using that logic. Why? Because it is complete horse manure.

When we were the harmless little fuzzball that everyone pitied because we were so pathetic in the 0-16 season, did we catch any breaks from the refs?

NO we didn't.

The calls were just as full of crap then as they are now. So, people need to just stop that faulty logic right now.


December 9th, 2011, 11:26 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Not to excuse their behavior, but I think the reason they're getting so upset is that it's like they're playing two teams--the opposing team AND the refs. Of course, this just puts a ridiculous cycle in motion, but I can at least see where they're coming from.


I agree. Pettigrew's penalty came after the defender stomped on his dick with the ref watching and the ref didn't throw the flag until Pettigrew pushed him. I would knocked his stinking block off and gotten my $ worth.


December 9th, 2011, 11:28 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 967
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
BillySims wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Not to excuse their behavior, but I think the reason they're getting so upset is that it's like they're playing two teams--the opposing team AND the refs. Of course, this just puts a ridiculous cycle in motion, but I can at least see where they're coming from.


I agree. Pettigrew's penalty came after the defender stomped on his dick with the ref watching and the ref didn't throw the flag until Pettigrew pushed him. I would knocked his stinking block off and gotten my $ worth.


Can you imagine all the bogus calls we would have had against us after that? Oh my God, no thanks.

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


December 10th, 2011, 1:00 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Yes, the officiating was VERY, VERY lopsided.
BUT THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GAIN THE REPUTATION OF BEING A DIRTY TEAM!! What the other team gets away with, you will not. It's been like that in the NFL since the dawn of time.


M2K,

I really wish people would quit using that logic. Why? Because it is complete horse manure.

When we were the harmless little fuzzball that everyone pitied because we were so pathetic in the 0-16 season, did we catch any breaks from the refs?

NO we didn't.

The calls were just as full of crap then as they are now. So, people need to just stop that faulty logic right now.


Have you ever seen a team get called for three offensive pass interference penalties in a single game, on the same player. Ever....EVER?!?!

Sorry, but having a reputation as a dirty team DOES work against you on the field, no different than having a criminal record works against you in a court of law. When we were "harmless", it didn't mean we didn't commit penalties. But rarely did you see, during that time, such BS calls as those that were made against Detroit in the New Orleans game. You saw it, I saw it....everyone saw it including the announcers. You think that just happens? That the Lions are somehow just cursed or fated to be treated irrationally bad by the officials?

No. Why? Because the Lions weren't getting questionable calls like that, in that quantity per game, made against them earlier this season. It wasn't until AFTER they began to get more and more personal fouls for late hits, the handshake debacle, and other penalties/events that took place recently that brought them from media darlings early in the season to the Snidely Whiplash villains of the NFL that they are now.

So you and others can sit there and think there's some great conspiracy working against the Lions in the entirety of the NFL now that they've finally become a team of relevance, or that the Curse of Bobby Layne continues to this day. I prefer to think in more obvious and realistic terms. Teams with a bad reputation get the calls made against them.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


December 10th, 2011, 11:28 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Yes, the officiating was VERY, VERY lopsided.
BUT THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GAIN THE REPUTATION OF BEING A DIRTY TEAM!! What the other team gets away with, you will not. It's been like that in the NFL since the dawn of time.


M2K,

I really wish people would quit using that logic. Why? Because it is complete horse manure.

When we were the harmless little fuzzball that everyone pitied because we were so pathetic in the 0-16 season, did we catch any breaks from the refs?

NO we didn't.

The calls were just as full of crap then as they are now. So, people need to just stop that faulty logic right now.


Have you ever seen a team get called for three offensive pass interference penalties in a single game, on the same player. Ever....EVER?!?!

Sorry, but having a reputation as a dirty team DOES work against you on the field, no different than having a criminal record works against you in a court of law. When we were "harmless", it didn't mean we didn't commit penalties. But rarely did you see, during that time, such BS calls as those that were made against Detroit in the New Orleans game. You saw it, I saw it....everyone saw it including the announcers. You think that just happens? That the Lions are somehow just cursed or fated to be treated irrationally bad by the officials?

No. Why? Because the Lions weren't getting questionable calls like that, in that quantity per game, made against them earlier this season. It wasn't until AFTER they began to get more and more personal fouls for late hits, the handshake debacle, and other penalties/events that took place recently that brought them from media darlings early in the season to the Snidely Whiplash villains of the NFL that they are now.

So you and others can sit there and think there's some great conspiracy working against the Lions in the entirety of the NFL now that they've finally become a team of relevance, or that the Curse of Bobby Layne continues to this day. I prefer to think in more obvious and realistic terms. Teams with a bad reputation get the calls made against them.


I have watched the Lions for over 40 years. And we have short spurts of getting a fair shake. And prolonged stretches where we can't buy a call to go our way. It has been that way from the very beginning of my fandom. And it doesn't matter if we are mean, nice, harmless, or dangerous.

I don't believe in the curse of Bobby Lane.

But, I do believe the NFL gets a woody whenever they think of a new way they can cornhole the Lions.

Key evidence:

No other team would have had to give up a draft pick on that bogus tampering charge. But, the Lions, it's gonna cost us a 6th round pick even though the evidence against us would be laughed out of court.

And i will tell you where the anti Lions bias comes from. WCF does not attend any owners functions. WCF never interjects himself into any major league decision. WCF does not interject himself into any minor league decision. It is the lack of WCF ever doing anything to speak up SHOW UP and stand up for his team that allows the NFL to pull this crap with the Lions. Do you think for a moment Jerry Jones would watch the Refs do that crap and then let it happen a second time? Not a piece of water vapors chance in Hell :!: He would be on the line to Goodell telling him he better do something about it.

But, we have a bashful goober of an owner that will never stand up for the Lions.

When WCF first bought the team, he attended the owners functions for a couple of years. I am betting he quit attending because he realized the other owners were laughing AT HIM, NOT WITH HIM.


December 11th, 2011, 10:04 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 545
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
With a Cutler-less Bears team taking three straight (and unanticipated) big dumps against Oakland, Kansas City, and Denver, and with a road game at Green Bay coming up (guaranteed 7 losses), the Lions are in the driver's seat for the last wild card spot in the NFC.

All the Lions have to do is to beat Oakland and San Diego to finish 10-6 and lock up that last spot. Unfortunately both of those games are looking like daunting tasks right about now.

If both Detroit and Chicago finish 9-7, who would hold the tiebreaker?

It's possible that a surging Arizona (winners of 5 of their last 6) could finish at 9-7 to make that equation more interesting.


December 11th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3039
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
Didn't the Bears lose to KC 10 - 3, and Detroit blew out KC, and now the Bears lost to Denver 13-10, another team the Lions blew out. So how does that rate in games in common for us having the upper hand?

_________________
2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


December 12th, 2011, 8:42 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Why the Lions will probably miss the playoffs
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Didn't the Bears lose to KC 10 - 3, and Detroit blew out KC, and now the Bears lost to Denver 13-10, another team the Lions blew out. So how does that rate in games in common for us having the upper hand?


I doesn't do anything for us.
Tie breakers go like this:

Head to head record
division record
Confrence record
Points differential
2 legged sack races??? lol

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


December 14th, 2011, 1:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.