View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 25th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Predictions: Packers at Lions 

Who will win?
Lions 55%  55%  [ 17 ]
Packers 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
Too close to call 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 31

Predictions: Packers at Lions 
Modmin Dude

Post Predictions: Packers at Lions
This is arguably the most important game the Lions will have played in almost a decade, how will it go? I say the Lions come out fired up and the crowd is going to be amazing. It has all the makings of a traditional, hard fought NFC Norris division game.

Lions 35
Packers 34

Go Lions!!!
headbang.gif

November 22nd, 2011, 10:18 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Predictions: Packers at Lions
ESPN wrote:
Lions will try for repeat of '62 win

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Whether they realize it or not, the Detroit Lions are hoping history repeats itself this week.

The Lions face unbeaten Green Bay on Thursday, nearly 49 years to the day after Detroit beat the Packers on Thanksgiving to hand them their only loss of the 1962 season. That Green Bay team was defending an NFL championship. This year's Packers squad is coming off a Super Bowl victory.

In 1962, the Packers were 10-0 before losing to the Lions. They're 10-0 now as well.

Ndamukong Suh and Matthew Stafford said Monday they weren't aware of the similarities between this game and that one, but Detroit coach Jim Schwartz said his team takes the tradition of the Thanksgiving game seriously.

"Guys that have been here obviously know a lot about the history and the tradition, but we have new players, we have rookies, we have other players that have never experienced what goes on in Detroit on Thanksgiving," Schwartz said. "So yeah, we talk about the history of the game."

If anything, the Thanksgiving game may have meant more to players a half-century ago, when the league's exposure wasn't nearly as great.

"People just had started developing a love for professional football," said Hall of Fame linebacker Joe Schmidt, who played on the 1962 Lions. "It was an opportunity to show people throughout the United States what type of football team you were."

The Lions were unusually motivated when they hosted Green Bay at Tiger Stadium on Nov. 22, 1962. They had lost to the Packers 9-7 earlier that season.

"We had a vendetta. We had a game to make up for," defensive tackle Roger Brown said. "We gave them a gift up in Green Bay, and we wanted to set the record straight."

Bart Starr and the Packers were never really in the game, losing 26-14. Detroit had nearly a dozen sacks, returned a fumble for a touchdown and scored on a safety, too.

The Lions provided a play-by-play transcript from that game. At one point, it reads: "About half of the Lion team dropped Starr for a 10 yard loss."

The game was part of a seven-game winning streak for Detroit, which finished 11-3.

Gail Cogdill caught two touchdown passes from Milt Plum, and it was 26-0 before Green Bay scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns to make the final score respectable.

This season, it's Calvin Johnson making big plays at wide receiver. Cogdill called Johnson "an absolute stud."

"The guy is just awesome," Cogdill said. "I think he's one of the great weapons the Lions have."

Suh is another weapon for Detroit on the defensive line, and Brown scoffs at all the controversy over whether Suh plays too rough.

"I'm proud of him. ... I could never get anybody to call me dirty when I played, even if I threw dirt in somebody's face," Brown said. "You're not playing tiddlywinks. This is football."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/72682 ... iving-game

November 22nd, 2011, 10:21 am
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Thanksgiving Feast: 1962 grudge match
November, 21, 2011
By Kevin Seifert

The buildup to our NFC North Thanksgiving Feast is going to short, intense and full of distractions. This week would have been busy even without Thursday's matchup between the 10-0 Green Bay Packers and the 7-3 Detroit Lions, so as of this moment I'm declaring complete and total pandemonium in the ring.

AP File Photo Detroit's Darris McCord, 78, and Roger Brown, 76, sack Green Bay's Bart Starr on Nov. 23, 1962. The Lions dealt Vince Lombardi's Packers their only loss of a championship season, sacking Starr 11 times.

As we monitor the Chicago Bears' quarterback transition and the health status of the Minnesota Vikings' star running back, we'll start our Packers-Lions coverage with the story of a rematch nearly 50 years in the making.

If you qualify for AARP membership, or if you watched Bob Costas' weekly essay Sunday night on NBC, you know the Packers and Lions played a Thanksgiving game under similar circumstances in 1962. The Packers entered the game undefeated at 10-0, but the Lions handed them their only loss of the season.

Many people consider the 1962 Packers the best team in franchise history and one of the best in the history of pro football. It had 10 future members of the Hall of Fame, including fullback Jim Taylor, right tackle Forrest Gregg, quarterback Bart Starr, linebacker Ray Nitschke, cornerback Herb Adderley, defensive end Willie Davis, center Jim Ringo, halfback Paul Hornung, safety Willie Wood and defensive tackle Henry Jordan.

But on November 23, 1962, the Lions handed them a decisive 26-14 defeat. They sacked Starr 11 times and intercepted him twice.

Monday, the Lions made several members from that team available via conference call. On that day, recalled Hall of Fame linebacker Joe Schmidt: "We were all out to prove to the world that we were as good or better than Green Bay."

(Sound familiar?)

History tells us the Lions were hardly slouches in those days. They won the NFL title in 1957 and won the Runner-Up game in 1960 and 1961. But after opening the 1962 season 3-0, the Lions lost to the Packers in a game that has gone down in franchise lore.

Jerry Green of the Detroit News recalled that game in detail this season. The short version: Leading 7-6 with less than a minute to play, the Lions called a pass play. Receiver Terry Barr slipped, and Adderley intercepted Milt Plum's pass to set up Hornung's game-winning field goal.

Tempers flared in the post-game locker room, and defensive tackle Roger Brown said Monday that the Lions had a "vendetta" against the Packers in the Thanksgiving rematch. Added Schmidt: "We always felt down deep that we were a better football team."

The Lions were well-versed in Packers' coach Vince Lombardi's offense, and defensive coordinator Don Shula worked with Schmidt to recognize each play.

"They basically ran six or seven plays off a couple different formations," Schmidt said. "By the formation, I could call a slant to where they were going to run. Our defensive line penetrated them so severely that their offensive line lost their poise."

Said Brown: "We were determined to get to Bart Starr. I don't think the German Luftwaffe could have stopped us that day."

The parallels for this year's game are interesting, if not completely relevant. The Packers are again 10-0, of course, and the Lions are quite eager to demonstrate they are, as Schmidt said, just as good. Like the 1962 team, today's Lions are built around a nasty defensive line. I'm not sure if Kyle Vanden Bosch, Ndamukong Suh and company will register 11 sacks Thursday of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, but they'll be trying.

It's worth noting that the Packers rebounded from that 1962 loss to finish 13-1 and win the NFL title. The Lions finished 11-3 and made another trip to the Runner-Up game. If nothing else, it's nice to have a game this season that means something to everyone -- the teams, both sets of fans and the playoff race.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... udge-match

November 22nd, 2011, 10:26 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The Lions have started slow and made too many errors in the first half of games this year. Fortunately, teams like Carolina weren't able to convert all of those extra opportunities (often on short fields) into touchdowns. If given the opportunity, the Packers won't have to settle for field goals. If the Lions continue their habit of early mistakes, this game could get out of hand early.

However, if both sides of the ball can start fast and build some early momentum, I think the Lions can make this one close and pull out a win. Given that I've not seen the Lions play a solid 4 quarters all season, I have to pick the Packers.

Packers 38
Lions 34

November 22nd, 2011, 10:57 am
Walk On

The Packers can be beat. Their defense looks like it is trying to lose a game for them sometime in the near future.

My "key to the game": If Ford Field shows up on Thanksgiving like it did on MNF against the Bears, with jet-engine-level sound/cheering ... even the Pack will struggle. The Lions need that early, and for the entire game.

This is not a joke - that won the game on Monday Night, and it can happen again on an even bigger stage.

November 22nd, 2011, 11:06 am
RIP Killer

My head tell me the Packers, my heart tells me the Lions, so I've gotta go with the tiebreaker which is my stomach and for Thanksgiving give me some cornbread.

Lions 41
Packers 38

November 22nd, 2011, 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

While I think the Lions have a chance to win this game, I don't believe it's likely. The Ford Field crowd should give them a boost, but they can't keep making mistakes and expect to win.

PACKERS 35 LIONS 27

November 22nd, 2011, 1:45 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I honestly don't know what to think about these guys. It depends on which Lions team shows up. I'm a loyal fan, but to be honest, overall I haven't been real impressed yet. They're going to have to play their best game of the season from the opening kickoff and play near-perfectly to beat the Packers. Otherwise they need the Packers to lay an egg and self-destruct for the first time this season.

Last edited by Growler on November 22nd, 2011, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2011, 2:38 pm
Varsity Captain

37-30 lions!!!
let's rock!!

November 22nd, 2011, 3:53 pm
QB Coach

If the same Lions team that punched New England in the mouth comes out Thursday, I think we have a shot at winning. We proved last year that if you can get into Rodgers head, you can win the game. What GB didn't have last year was a run game, and I don't know where they stand now, but that's been our weak spot. IF we can knock Rodgers around a little bit, and rattle him, I think we can win this game. But I haven't seen Detroit play like that, against an elite team since New England. The MNF was close but not like ps game 3.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

November 22nd, 2011, 4:00 pm
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Thanksgiving Feast: Split personalities
November, 22, 2011
By Kevin Seifert
Getty Images, AP PhotoThursday's matchup at Ford Field features the secret-agent stylings of the Green Bay Packers against the emotionally charged Detroit Lions.

Because I am immature and ridiculous, I present this question: Who would you take in a fight: James Bond or John Rambo? The cool, cunning and well-equipped secret agent or the slightly deranged veteran who takes on the world at every turn?

So goes the pop-culture analogy swirling in my head as we hurtle toward Thursday's showdown at Ford Field. There are a number of reasons this matchup between the Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions is so appealing, and we'll get to them all, but at its core it features teams with polar personalities and styles that can't coexist on a football field.

The Packers' surgical precision is embodied by quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who leads the NFL with a 72.3 completion percentage and, these days, limits his on-field emotion to an occasional fist pump. ("The Belt" has recently been reserved for paid advertisements.) The Lions, meanwhile, play every game as if they're avenging past injustices. They are emotional, often angry and not beyond pushing the far boundaries of the rules.

One approach will prevail Thursday over the other. The Lions will either overwhelm the Packers with energy, trying to win their first Thanksgiving Day game in seven years, or the Packers will slice through that emotion with professional calculation.

"We'll be going to a hornet's nest," Packers defensive lineman B.J. Raji said. "We're the defending champions, and those guys are at home with a chance to knock us off in front of a national television audience. They're probably going to be jacked up. They beat us last year [at Ford Field] and they almost beat us at home. They believe they can win. It's our job to convince them they can't."

The Lions are doing their best this week to limit the fuel they add to an already-charged situation. This game has been sold out for months, and last week the Lions sold an additional 1,500 standing-room tickets in less than 30 minutes. Ford Field will be as frenzied as it was for the return of "Monday Night Football" last month, an atmosphere that contributed to nine false-start penalties by the Chicago Bears.

Receiver Nate Burleson couldn't resist taking a subtle shot at Rodgers' currently-running State Farm commercial, saying he might perform the "discount double check when I score just to give him a shout out." But for the most part, the Lions understand the diminished utility in antagonizing a team as steely as the Packers.

"If you start thinking about all the things that go into this game," Burleson told reporters in Detroit, "you get away from what really matters -- getting the win. We just want to win the game."

Yes, this is one game where the Lions won't need to emit guttural roars to be noticed. As the Packers have plowed through the season, many of us have looked ahead and thought the Lions could present their first true matchup problem.

As the charts show, the Lions' strengths -- on paper, at least -- match up favorably against the Packers.

Packers Pass Offense vs. Lions Pass Defense
Category Packers offense NFL rank Lions defense NFL rank
YPG 304.9 3 192.8 5
TD 31 1 10 3
INT 5 2 15 T-2
Passer rating 127.4 1 69.0 4

Lions Pass Offense vs. Packers Pass Defense
Category Lions offense NFL rank Packers defense NFL rank
YPG 272.4 8 289.3 31
TD 25 2 18 T-29
INT 10 18 19 1
Passer rating 93.5 9 79.4 11

The Lions have a top-five pass defense no matter what category you consider, one that at least gives them a chance to slow down Rodgers if their defensive line provides its usual pressure and physicality. And the success of their own passing game puts them in position to exploit the Packers' most obvious vulnerability.

Generally speaking, the Lions have the capacity to match the Packers score for score, along with a defense that stands as good of a chance as any to steal a few possessions. These are two of the top three scoring offenses in the NFL, another reason this game has such national appeal.

In the end, however, I really think this game will come down to poise. The Packers are at their best when operating in a cocoon, keeping their opponents at a safe distance while they speed down the highway in Q's latest contraption. The Lions get an edge on opponents by knocking them out of that comfort zone, blowing them up with energy and anger.

That's why Packers running back Ryan Grant told reporters that this game "is about us." The Lions' extracurriculars have "nothing to do with us," Grant added.

"We have to take care of our business on our end," he said. "Every week, we look … to maintain our discipline. It has nothing to do with what the other man does. We know what we need to do. The challenge isn't necessarily dealing with their discipline."

Can the Packers maintain their poise? Or will the Lions get under their skin just enough to slide those matchups in their favor? I'll be in the front row with popcorn and 3-D glasses to find out.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7268661

November 22nd, 2011, 4:10 pm
Modmin Dude

Dave Birkett wrote:
Aaron Rodgers on conference call on what Lions did so well vs him last year: "Gave me a concussion."

https://twitter.com/#!/davebirkett/stat ... 4121786368

November 22nd, 2011, 4:16 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I guess he'll just have to get ready for another one. . .

November 22nd, 2011, 4:17 pm
Stadium Announcer

TheRealWags wrote:
ESPN wrote:
Lions will try for repeat of '62 win

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Whether they realize it or not, the Detroit Lions are hoping history repeats itself this week.

The Lions face unbeaten Green Bay on Thursday, nearly 49 years to the day after Detroit beat the Packers on Thanksgiving to hand them their only loss of the 1962 season. That Green Bay team was defending an NFL championship. This year's Packers squad is coming off a Super Bowl victory.

In 1962, the Packers were 10-0 before losing to the Lions. They're 10-0 now as well.

Ndamukong Suh and Matthew Stafford said Monday they weren't aware of the similarities between this game and that one, but Detroit coach Jim Schwartz said his team takes the tradition of the Thanksgiving game seriously.

"Guys that have been here obviously know a lot about the history and the tradition, but we have new players, we have rookies, we have other players that have never experienced what goes on in Detroit on Thanksgiving," Schwartz said. "So yeah, we talk about the history of the game."

If anything, the Thanksgiving game may have meant more to players a half-century ago, when the league's exposure wasn't nearly as great.

"People just had started developing a love for professional football," said Hall of Fame linebacker Joe Schmidt, who played on the 1962 Lions. "It was an opportunity to show people throughout the United States what type of football team you were."

The Lions were unusually motivated when they hosted Green Bay at Tiger Stadium on Nov. 22, 1962. They had lost to the Packers 9-7 earlier that season.

"We had a vendetta. We had a game to make up for," defensive tackle Roger Brown said. "We gave them a gift up in Green Bay, and we wanted to set the record straight."

Bart Starr and the Packers were never really in the game, losing 26-14. Detroit had nearly a dozen sacks, returned a fumble for a touchdown and scored on a safety, too.

The Lions provided a play-by-play transcript from that game. At one point, it reads: "About half of the Lion team dropped Starr for a 10 yard loss."

The game was part of a seven-game winning streak for Detroit, which finished 11-3.

Gail Cogdill caught two touchdown passes from Milt Plum, and it was 26-0 before Green Bay scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns to make the final score respectable.

This season, it's Calvin Johnson making big plays at wide receiver. Cogdill called Johnson "an absolute stud."

"The guy is just awesome," Cogdill said. "I think he's one of the great weapons the Lions have."

Suh is another weapon for Detroit on the defensive line, and Brown scoffs at all the controversy over whether Suh plays too rough.

"I'm proud of him. ... I could never get anybody to call me dirty when I played, even if I threw dirt in somebody's face," Brown said. "You're not playing tiddlywinks. This is football."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/72682 ... iving-game

I remember watching that game with my Dad, it was better than Christmas that day the Lions beat the Packers.

November 22nd, 2011, 5:59 pm
Stadium Announcer

Lions 27 Packers 24 Go Lions

November 22nd, 2011, 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next