View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 31st, 2014, 12:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions needs for next year 
Stadium Announcer

Post Lions needs for next year
Get a running game and a few good offensive linemen. The Packers in 2010 lost their #1 running back the 2nd game of the season did it hurt them NO they go on and win the Super Bowl on the road that is a great team. You need a outstanding Defense next comes a great running game and you cannot have one unless you have a great offensive line, the Lions need to replace Raolia, Backus and Cherless. and then find a running back that does not get hurt always, Best is GLASS it is to bad but he is just not a durable back same with Kevin Smith, our secondary is also in need of help. we have no back ups worth anything. That is all we need Good Luck Mayhew. The Lions are headed in the right direction 2 more yrs and they will be real contenders and not pretenders.

November 25th, 2011, 2:49 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Lions needs for next year
georgechuvalo wrote:
Get a running game and a few good offensive linemen. The Packers in 2010 lost their #1 running back the 2nd game of the season did it hurt them NO they go on and win the Super Bowl on the road that is a great team. You need a outstanding Defense next comes a great running game and you cannot have one unless you have a great offensive line, the Lions need to replace Raolia, Backus and Cherless. and then find a running back that does not get hurt always, Best is GLASS it is to bad but he is just not a durable back same with Kevin Smith, our secondary is also in need of help. we have no back ups worth anything. That is all we need Good Luck Mayhew. The Lions are headed in the right direction 2 more yrs and they will be real contenders and not pretenders.

I agree with some of this but we're not going to replace the whole O-Line in one year. I do believe that we need a solid and consistent running game and the best way to get there is via a stout O-Line which we simply don't have. Please, nobody give me the standard line, "But they're playing better this year", because 1) They might be but it's still no where near good enough. And that's just so obvious against the stronger defenses. And; 2) I'm not even convinced they are better this year, and that's just so obvious against the stronger defenses. Besides, Backas and Raiola are getting long in the tooth anyway and Peterman would serve us better as a back up which is what he'd be on just about every other team.

Additionally, Best is about one concussion away from ending his career so that experiment is a failure and he'll need to be replaced. And, only time will tell if Leshoure will be able to fully recover from his achilles rupture.

I'm also still not comfortable with our defensive backfield. I can't figure out why they're not disrupting the opponents passing game by jamming the receivers at the line of scrimmage. It just seems to me they need to be a ton more physical at the snap within the 1st 5 yards, especially against the likes of a team like Green Bay.

November 25th, 2011, 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

1) Offensive line. Probably need two new starters. Draft one, trade for a veteran or sign a major FA.

2) Linebackers. I know people think we have great linebackers, but we can't stop the run, so we clearly we don't.

3) Defensive backfield. Wright/Houston seem to be okay, but need more depth. Especially in a modern, pass-happy NFL.

4) Running back. Use a third rounder on one.

November 25th, 2011, 4:55 pm
League MVP

Quote:
1) Offensive line. Probably need two new starters. Draft one, trade for a veteran or sign a major FA.

2) Linebackers. I know people think we have great linebackers, but we can't stop the run, so we clearly we don't.

3) Defensive backfield. Wright/Houston seem to be okay, but need more depth. Especially in a modern, pass-happy NFL.

4) Running back. Use a third rounder on one.

Yes, I would agree

1. OL - raiola is comparable to average to slightly above average centers around the league. sims is above average. the rest of the line is below average.
2. LB - durant and tulloch are good. levy is average. the depth is lacking, ashlee palmer looked promising last season but hasnt this season. carpenter is not a good football player and can only be used in spurts. hogue has size and speed but needs to play better on special teams. we definitely need depth and replacing levy would help with the run defense.
3. DB - Houston and Wright are two good starters though Wright has been abused some in recent weeks. Aaron Berry is a very good nickel back. McDonald has been extremely disappointing when asked to play esp when he was outstanding in the preseason. At S, Delmas is solid but having a quiet year, Spievey has shown he cant be relied on for another season and is the top reason the run d has struggled with Levy being No 2. Definitely need another starting safety and Chris Harris, Erik Coleman, etc arent the answer. Wouldnt mind seeing Ricardo Silva get activated at somepoint if Delmas is out this week.
4. RB - this could just be LeShoure and Best getting healthy with Smith as a backup and Morris as a role player. The talent is there but the health is a problem. Build the line and suddenly street free agents look decent.
5. P - Donohue clearly beat out Harris in the preseason but has played very poorly and Graham is awful. A good punter can be a weapon and an absolute necessity w players like Hester, Cobb, Harvin in this division. If Donohue doesnt show he can cut it in real games he s gone.
6. No 2 WR - I like Burleson but he s dropped his fair shair of passes, committed untimely penalties, fumbles and isnt getting much after the catch. Maybe Young can overtake him but we shoudl expect more when teams roll coverage to Calvin as much as they do.
7. Special teams - all the units have looked very poor with the exception of FG kick and block. We need a dedication to this aspect of the game. Probably should be listed much higher on this list.

November 28th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

1) Offensive Line: Backus is old and a free agent. I fully suspect that we will let him walk/retire. A replacement should be a top priority. Peterman is crap and needs to be replaced. I believe that the best choice is to draft someone who can play OG/OC so they can slide over after Raiola's contract is up next year. This brings me to Raiola. I do not want him on the roster next year but I doubt that we can replace Peterman, Raiola, and Backus.

2)Linebacker: Tulloch and Levy are both free agents so this has to be considered a need. Tulloch should be locked up and I suspect Levy will be also. It should be noted that Durant had injury concerns prior to becoming a Lion and he has been banged up this year.

3) Running back: Best=injury Leshoure=injury Smith=Injurey. I think the biggest issue is how Leshoure returns from his injury. I think Momo, Best, and Smith can provide a stable of talent backs although most have injury concerns.

4)Safety: It seems neither of our safeties have played the way we hoped. We should at least bring in depth to push them.

5)Wide Receiver: We got Nate so he could be an eraser. The problem is I see Johnson get doubled without him taking advantage.

November 29th, 2011, 3:43 am
Bubbles the Lion

Everyone has been calling for Backus' and Raiola's heads for years. This has got to be the toughest group of players for fans to judge. If we see Peppers/whoever get a sack off of the left side we assume Backus just sucked. We don't know what type of protection was called(for the most part). Often times it might not have been his fault. Also sacks/penalties stick in the mind of fans more so than the other 80%+ of the time he did nothing wrong.

Backus is a free agent. I would like to bring him back for 1 more year(much cheaper), but also draft his replacement to sit and learn for a year/start if necessary due to injury. I don't know Raiola's contract situation, but I would like to see something similar with him. With Peterman, I'd like to see him cut/traded to bring in a solid veteran. Nothing flashy.

November 29th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Forget their talent level. Both of them are old. They need--at the very least--to have suitable replacements waiting in the wings.

The bottom line is that the Lions need to be able to run the football. I think a big part of that is on improving the offensive line.

November 29th, 2011, 8:05 pm
Team MVP

georgechuvalo wrote:

They definetely cannot replace all 3 of those guys in one off season. And I understand your point, but just because you can replace someone doesnt mean you are necessarily upgrading the position. I get tired of hearing people say, "We need to replace Backus", thinking that whoever we replace him with will be so much better. Really? You think you can just call an 800 number and get yourself a top LT? And also, just because there is a #1 LT in each draft, does it really mean he will be THAT much better Backus? Yes, I understand LT needs to be addressed. And I understand C, and RG, and RT need to be too. But with who is the question. And thats just the offensive line. An upgrade at LB and secondary wouldnt hurt neither.

I say if you ask me, we need to continue to go BPA except certain positions, but definetely offensive line in mind. Personally, I'd like to focus on the right side of our line. To me, that is clearly the weaker part of our line.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 29th, 2011, 8:55 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
georgechuvalo wrote:

They definetely cannot replace all 3 of those guys in one off season. And I understand your point, but just because you can replace someone doesnt mean you are necessarily upgrading the position. I get tired of hearing people say, "We need to replace Backus", thinking that whoever we replace him with will be so much better. Really? You think you can just call an 800 number and get yourself a top LT? And also, just because there is a #1 LT in each draft, does it really mean he will be THAT much better Backus? Yes, I understand LT needs to be addressed. And I understand C, and RG, and RT need to be too. But with who is the question. And thats just the offensive line. An upgrade at LB and secondary wouldnt hurt neither.

I say if you ask me, we need to continue to go BPA except certain positions, but definetely offensive line in mind. Personally, I'd like to focus on the right side of our line. To me, that is clearly the weaker part of our line.

I don't understand why people think Backus is a "top LT". When you say 'top' I think in terms of top 5 or 10. Backus is not in the top 10 and never has been. He's a durable consistent starter I'll give you that, but his play is a 'C+' level on the very best days. He's very average and often whiffs against the better defensive ends. Backus does get top money (thank you Millen) and consequently is WAY overpaid vs. his actual game production / value.

Additionally he's getting older so, yes, I'll take my chances with the next LT we can draft or acquire in free agency.

November 29th, 2011, 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

...never said Backus was a top LT.

I said its not that easy to get a TOP LT whenever you want.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 30th, 2011, 11:36 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
...never said Backus was a top LT.

I said its not that easy to get a TOP LT whenever you want.

True, I hear ya but there are those who consider Backus a top LT when he is in the of the bottom 10 starting LTs.

December 1st, 2011, 5:05 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Could it really be that hard to find a replacement who would be an upgrade for Peterman?

December 1st, 2011, 7:20 am
Pop Warner Vet

We haven't really drafted any O-line guys in the last few drafts right? Isn't the O-line an area where it takes years to groom a player before they can play well consistently? Perhaps MaySchwartz will be looking to bring in some quality veteran O-line guys via trades/free agency but these are the positions I know the least about. Are there any quality free agents out there?

December 1st, 2011, 10:24 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

My biggest concern is what the Lions will do with their four current starters who will become UFAs after this season (LT Backus, MLB Tulloch, DE Avril, and CB Wright). They also have an issue at QB where both of their backups (Hill and Stanton) will be UFAs. I'm quite sure that Avril and one of the QBs will be re-signed, but it's anybody's guess on the others. Money is going to be an issue with Tulloch, so I'm not very confident there. The same might be true with Wright, but I don't think he could demand as much dough. As for Backus, I could see them signing him to a 1-2 year deal at a greatly reduced salary as insurance, but I just don't know.

December 1st, 2011, 10:30 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

slybri19 wrote:
My biggest concern is what the Lions will do with their four current starters who will become UFAs after this season (LT Backus, MLB Tulloch, DE Avril, and CB Wright). They also have an issue at QB where both of their backups (Hill and Stanton) will be UFAs. I'm quite sure that Avril and one of the QBs will be re-signed, but it's anybody's guess on the others. Money is going to be an issue with Tulloch, so I'm not very confident there. The same might be true with Wright, but I don't think he could demand as much dough. As for Backus, I could see them signing him to a 1-2 year deal at a greatly reduced salary as insurance, but I just don't know.

Good point, and I must agree sly. Feel it is imperative the Lions sign there own key free agents to maintain program stability. Our young Lions will continue to improve with experience, and I'm confident Mayhew and Schwartz will be able to improve the talent base thru the draft and free agency. For a team that was at absolute rock bottom a few years ago, I feel we've made tremendous improvement.

In regards to the draft. Will the Lions continue to adhere to the bpa philosophy? I believe they will, but will be flexible within that vision to address positions of greatest need. I have been an advocate of building our O-line for many years, because I believe it is paramount to building a team that will be a perennial power.

December 1st, 2011, 11:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next