View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 31st, 2014, 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions needs for next year 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions needs for next year
chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
We haven't really drafted any O-line guys in the last few drafts right? Isn't the O-line an area where it takes years to groom a player before they can play well consistently? Perhaps MaySchwartz will be looking to bring in some quality veteran O-line guys via trades/free agency but these are the positions I know the least about. Are there any quality free agents out there?

We have drafted offensive linemen, just not very high in the draft. Cherilus was taken in the first round in 2008, but that was Millen's last laugh for Detroit. He was a second round talent, at best. We all realize that now. After him, we've taken Lydon Murtha in the 7th in '09, Jason Fox in the 4th in '10 and this past draft we took Johnny Culbreath in the 7th. Murtha was signed off our practice squad by Miami in '09. Fox was a second round talent that fell due to his senior season injury that he had operated on and kept him from participating in the Combines or team workouts. He is now proven to be injury prone.

What this amounts to is that the Lions have used picks on offensive linemen, but haven't used a high pick since '08. They need to look toward positioning themselves in the upcoming draft to take a player either in round one or two that might be able to start. Either that, or they better figure a way to land one in free agency. I don't know what LT will be available in FA though. Rarely do quality offensive tackles make it that far. They usually get locked up by their own team before they hit the market. Either that, or they get the franchise tag. Either way, the Lions would be screwed.

December 1st, 2011, 12:41 pm
Team MVP

I think we can all agree it isnt going to be easy to find a quality replacement for Backus. At least addressing C, RG, or RT should be a little easier. Id be happy with either in the first round. As it looks right now, Matt Kalil would look pretty nice in a Lions uniform, but we're gonna be picking way too late to get him. I think a solid guard or center would be my choice if I were selecting. But as Sly pointed out, it ALL depends on who we sign and re-sign. The good part is, we will at least know before the draft this year due to no CBA issues. We can actually enjoy FA before the draft. Once FA gets past its "prime" stage, this topic will heat up and be much easier to discuss.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 1st, 2011, 3:22 pm
RIP Killer

A major Lions need for next year, and we don't have to pick one up in FA or spend a draft pick on one - how about a special teams coach!!!

December 1st, 2011, 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

The Jaguars are going to undergo a big shakeup. Perhaps they could be persuaded to let Eugene Monroe go for a few picks. He hasn't been the best of players, but would bring the Lions a veteran with talent.

December 1st, 2011, 9:07 pm
QB Coach

I took at look at free agency and there aren't any guys that I think would be a worthwhile upgrade on the Oline. So we need to look to the draft. The first round needs to bring us a LT or a G/C. In round 2 I'd like to land a CB. We can take a RB in the third. Then we need to look at a DE and more oline help with the last 3 picks.

December 3rd, 2011, 10:03 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Yea, there really aren't any decent OTs who will be UFAs next year, so the Lions will have to look to the draft, make a trade, or keep Backus. They could, however, upgrade at OG with either Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs, but I don't see those players leaving their current teams.

On the bright side, the Lions could address CB in UFA because there are several solid players who might be available. They include Cortland Finnegan, Brent Grimes, Tracy Porter, Terrell Thomas, Brandon Carr, and Lardarius Webb. While none of them are "shutdown" corners, they are capable starters who would fill a need, allowing the Lions to concentrate on the OL in the draft.

With that said, this upcoming draft appears to be fairly deep on the OL. While it isn't very top heavy, other than Matt Kalil at OT and David DeCastro at OG, there should be several potential starters available in the first three rounds. Because of this, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions draft two of them early. Then again, Mayhew's BPA philosophy might muck it up yet again, but he has to do something about that line.

December 4th, 2011, 10:09 am
League MVP

Quote:
Yea, there really aren't any decent OTs who will be UFAs next year, so the Lions will have to look to the draft, make a trade, or keep Backus. They could, however, upgrade at OG with either Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs, but I don't see those players leaving their current teams.

On the bright side, the Lions could address CB in UFA because there are several solid players who might be available. They include Cortland Finnegan, Brent Grimes, Tracy Porter, Terrell Thomas, Brandon Carr, and Lardarius Webb. While none of them are "shutdown" corners, they are capable starters who would fill a need, allowing the Lions to concentrate on the OL in the draft.

With that said, this upcoming draft appears to be fairly deep on the OL. While it isn't very top heavy, other than Matt Kalil at OT and David DeCastro at OG, there should be several potential starters available in the first three rounds. Because of this, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lions draft two of them early. Then again, Mayhew's BPA philosophy might muck it up yet again, but he has to do something about that line.

i think they need to get some young players into the system that have a reasonable chance at taking over starting spots on the line. u may be right there might not be rookies who will be better than Backus, etc next season but its time to get guys on the roster that have a chance.

i disagree that we need help at corner unless its a true shutdown corner. it d be nice to get another guy in the draft so we dont have to worry about paying houson and wright and giving them extensions but i dont think any of the guys you listed are dramatic upgrades over houston/wright/berry. id go after a safety first to legitimately bring in to compete w spievey and probably a high pick on an OLB where durant seems to have a history of injuries and levy just isnt very good.

i wouldnt be opposed to drafting/signing another wr either, burleson and young havent been able to make teams pay for doubling calvin as much as should be expected.

December 5th, 2011, 10:18 am
Team MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I took at look at free agency and there aren't any guys that I think would be a worthwhile upgrade on the Oline. So we need to look to the draft. The first round needs to bring us a LT or a G/C. In round 2 I'd like to land a CB. We can take a RB in the third. Then we need to look at a DE and more oline help with the last 3 picks.

The way Kevin Smith is playing and with LeShoure and Best coming back next year, I wouldnt spend a 3rd round pick on another running back. LT, G, C..Yes, absolutely.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 5th, 2011, 7:26 pm
Hall of Fame Player

kdsberman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

The way Kevin Smith is playing and with LeShoure and Best coming back next year, I wouldnt spend a 3rd round pick on another running back. LT, G, C..Yes, absolutely.

Not only that, but, since Smith has come back and played as good as he has, Have you noticed that MoMo has raised his level of play? I think he seen what happened to Smith and thought that that could be him next year.

December 7th, 2011, 3:03 am
League MVP

Quote:

The way Kevin Smith has played should be more of a revelation that this offense is virtually unstoppable when the running game is going and not that Kevin Smith is the answer. The history with Kevin Smith is that he s injury prone. He s playing well I agree but how much can we trust him? Best s concussion problems are severe and we may have seen the last of him, if not good for him but his career could end at any moment. As with LeShoure an Achilles injury can be a career ending injury for a RB and will cut into his quickness and acceleration, he will never be 100% of the player he was and in most cases thats not good enough to make it in the NFL at RB. Of the guys we have at RB, Smith has the best chance at having a productive career going forward but he hasnt showed enough durability to say that we dont another runner in free agency or somewhere in the draft

December 9th, 2011, 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2