View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 4:16 am



Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Playoff Observations 
Author Message
Post Playoff Observations
A couple of things stood out to to me watching the playoffs:

1) A great offense will beat a great defense in today's NFL. With new rules governing offensive play it is blatant to me that yes, a good defense is a nice luxury (San Fran), but you HAVE to have a good offense to be a good playoff team.

2) We HAVE TO BE ABLE TO RUN THE BALL if we're going to be an elite team, period. And I'm not talking about picking up 100 yards a game. I'm talking about converting 3rd and 2s at will. I'm talking about sustaining drives with the running game in the 2nd and 4th Qs. I'm talking about a ground game that can kill the clock, keep our D off of the field, and control the game. To do this we have to upgrade our interior OL.


January 23rd, 2012, 5:09 pm
NFL Team Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Watching Football
Post Re: Playoff Observations
I think you're right on with the Offense/Defense observation. The rules are slanted in the favor offense and pounding the ball in key yardage situations is absolutely a must.

_________________
Lions Fan since King Kong was a Spider Monkey!


January 23rd, 2012, 7:33 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Playoff Observations
wjb21ndtown wrote:
A couple of things stood out to to me watching the playoffs:

1) A great offense will beat a great defense in today's NFL. With new rules governing offensive play it is blatant to me that yes, a good defense is a nice luxury (San Fran), but you HAVE to have a good offense to be a good playoff team.

2) We HAVE TO BE ABLE TO RUN THE BALL if we're going to be an elite team, period. And I'm not talking about picking up 100 yards a game. I'm talking about converting 3rd and 2s at will. I'm talking about sustaining drives with the running game in the 2nd and 4th Qs. I'm talking about a ground game that can kill the clock, keep our D off of the field, and control the game. To do this we have to upgrade our interior OL.



Agree with your viewpoint, but would like to add that one thing that stood out to me was how all 4 teams playing yesterday had better linebacker play than what we have in Detroit. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Lions FINALLY beefing up our O-line, but don't ignore the deficiencies on defense.


January 23rd, 2012, 7:43 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Playoff Observations
Not to mention, being able to run the ball effectively can give our offense more flexibility on short yardage situations.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


January 23rd, 2012, 7:48 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2699
Post Re: Playoff Observations
QBs are starting to become too valuable. One pro bowl QB is probably worth 3 pro bowl D players.


January 23rd, 2012, 7:52 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Playoff Observations
All 4 teams, that played last weekend, had the ability to shut down the other offense with their defense. Neither game could even be remotely characterized as offensive shoot outs. 3 out of the 4 teams have very good defenses. And NE's defense got better as the season progressed.

Not even 1 team had 400 yards of offense. So, tell me, where do you come up with this?

Quote:
1) A great offense will beat a great defense in today's NFL. With new rules governing offensive play it is blatant to me that yes, a good defense is a nice luxury (San Fran), but you HAVE to have a good offense to be a good playoff team.


Because the games that determined the Super Bowl teams were both DEFENSIVE GAMES.

The Patriots are only in the Super Bowl because their rookie CB knocked the ball out of Lee Evans' hands. Or it would have been a Giants vs. Ravens Super Bowl.

As for the other game? Oh yeah! 49ers= Great Defense and Giants= Great Defense.

So, it appears to anyone without an Offense 1st agenda, that DEFENSE is still relevant in the NFL.


January 23rd, 2012, 9:50 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Playoff Observations
I will say however, that defenses do need to evolve now with the modern day TE's. Defensive coordinators need to train a defender to have the sole responsibility of shutting down the TE.

Rob Gronkowski, Vernon Davis, Jason Whitten, Antonio Gates, Adam Pettigrew ( Hey, he's getting there),Tony Gonzalez, and ect. These guys are virtually unstoppable until defenders are trained to specialize at stopping them. Every team needs a TE specialist nowadays.


January 23rd, 2012, 9:57 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Playoff Observations
BillySims wrote:
I will say however, that defenses do need to evolve now with the modern day TE's. Defensive coordinators need to train a defender to have the sole responsibility of shutting down the TE.

Rob Gronkowski, Vernon Davis, Jason Whitten, Antonio Gates, Adam Pettigrew ( Hey, he's getting there),Tony Gonzalez, and ect. These guys are virtually unstoppable until defenders are trained to specialize at stopping them. Every team needs a TE specialist nowadays.


?

I know what you mean though

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


January 23rd, 2012, 10:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Playoff Observations
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I will say however, that defenses do need to evolve now with the modern day TE's. Defensive coordinators need to train a defender to have the sole responsibility of shutting down the TE.

Rob Gronkowski, Vernon Davis, Jason Whitten, Antonio Gates, Adam Pettigrew ( Hey, he's getting there),Tony Gonzalez, and ect. These guys are virtually unstoppable until defenders are trained to specialize at stopping them. Every team needs a TE specialist nowadays.


?

I know what you mean though


LOL. I meant Brandon. I Blame the Mad Cow Disease.


January 23rd, 2012, 10:17 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Playoff Observations
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I will say however, that defenses do need to evolve now with the modern day TE's. Defensive coordinators need to train a defender to have the sole responsibility of shutting down the TE.

Rob Gronkowski, Vernon Davis, Jason Whitten, Antonio Gates, Adam Pettigrew ( Hey, he's getting there),Tony Gonzalez, and ect. These guys are virtually unstoppable until defenders are trained to specialize at stopping them. Every team needs a TE specialist nowadays.


?

I know what you mean though


LOL. I meant Brandon. I Blame the Mad Cow Disease.



lol thatll do it.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


January 23rd, 2012, 10:32 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Playoff Observations
Adam Schefter disease?

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


January 23rd, 2012, 11:16 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Playoff Observations
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I will say however, that defenses do need to evolve now with the modern day TE's. Defensive coordinators need to train a defender to have the sole responsibility of shutting down the TE.

Rob Gronkowski, Vernon Davis, Jason Whitten, Antonio Gates, Adam Pettigrew ( Hey, he's getting there),Tony Gonzalez, and ect. These guys are virtually unstoppable until defenders are trained to specialize at stopping them. Every team needs a TE specialist nowadays.


?

I know what you mean though


LOL. I meant Brandon. I Blame the Mad Cow Disease.



lol thatll do it.


I have seriously been exposed to Mad Cow Disease. LOL.

So has Sly.

Anyone who was stationed in Germany back in the 80's in the military was.

They were feeding us British Beef that was later found to be tainted with Mad Cow.


January 23rd, 2012, 11:32 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Playoff Observations
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I will say however, that defenses do need to evolve now with the modern day TE's. Defensive coordinators need to train a defender to have the sole responsibility of shutting down the TE.

Rob Gronkowski, Vernon Davis, Jason Whitten, Antonio Gates, Adam Pettigrew ( Hey, he's getting there),Tony Gonzalez, and ect. These guys are virtually unstoppable until defenders are trained to specialize at stopping them. Every team needs a TE specialist nowadays.


?

I know what you mean though


LOL. I meant Brandon. I Blame the Mad Cow Disease.



lol thatll do it.


I have seriously been exposed to Mad Cow Disease. LOL.

So has Sly.

Anyone who was stationed in Germany back in the 80's in the military was.

They were feeding us British Beef that was later found to be tainted with Mad Cow.



Oh really?? Wow.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


January 23rd, 2012, 11:34 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Playoff Observations
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I will say however, that defenses do need to evolve now with the modern day TE's. Defensive coordinators need to train a defender to have the sole responsibility of shutting down the TE.

Rob Gronkowski, Vernon Davis, Jason Whitten, Antonio Gates, Adam Pettigrew ( Hey, he's getting there),Tony Gonzalez, and ect. These guys are virtually unstoppable until defenders are trained to specialize at stopping them. Every team needs a TE specialist nowadays.


?

I know what you mean though


LOL. I meant Brandon. I Blame the Mad Cow Disease.



lol thatll do it.


I have seriously been exposed to Mad Cow Disease. LOL.

So has Sly.

Anyone who was stationed in Germany back in the 80's in the military was.

They were feeding us British Beef that was later found to be tainted with Mad Cow.



Oh really?? Wow.


Yep. And for a whole summer, they were giving every soldier who wanted it, 2 pounds of free beef per week at the commissary. In the Fall, they announced it was tainted. They knew it before they gave it away. They just decided to use us as guinea pigs. Just goes to show you, NOTHING is really FREE. There is always a cost somewhere.

But, this is all off topic.


January 23rd, 2012, 11:43 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 12th, 2011, 9:00 am
Posts: 289
Location: Vermont
Post Re: Playoff Observations
I would like to add that I think a great safety can elevate your defense to a level unobtainable otherwise. Look at all the great safeties in the league, and you'll notice that they are usually synonymous with a great defense. When Goldson stepped up his play, he not only made the Pro Bowl, but he also elevated our defense greatly. He's the hardest hitter, and hawked the most interceptions of anyone on our team. Whitner was also a great hard-hitting safety (hit on Pierre Thomas in the playoffs). A safety alone, imo, can do wonders for a defense.

Linebackers that don't miss tackles are another. No offense, but watching the Lions trying to tackle the Saints drove me nuts. I didn't count the missed tackles, but I bet it was more than we had all season as a team.

This thread is also so weird. I said this a while ago about you guys and I was blasted for it. I said a great defense and running game > passing alone, and I was told the Lions would walk through the playoffs, and the Niners would be exposed for who they really are. Well we were just 1 OT game away from the big one... 2 fumbles away... gahhhhh....

And like someone said: Ravens, Giants, and even the Pats had great defenses in the playoffs.

_________________
Pablo wrote:
the app worked OK, but it is hard to draft while driving.


January 25th, 2012, 2:49 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DayDreamer, Exabot [Bot], Growler and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.