View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 I GOT TO MEET THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post I GOT TO MEET THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME
first off, i work at detroit metro airport.
it's not uncommon to see sport athletes and so-called movie stars.
in the last 2 weeks i have seen ty law, kellen winslow, braylon edwards and shaun rogers to name a few.
i don't ask for autographs IMHO most famous people are not one's to emulate.

but this person was the exception to the rule.

no, it wasn't wayne gretzky.

i had the pleasure of meeting MUHAMMAD ALI today.

he was coming into metro airport supposably for his son's softball game.

i took several snap shots with my cell phone.

but the moment i will cherish was getting a friend to take a photo of myself and ali squaring off. he took my left hand balled it into a fist and placed it at his jaw.
he then balled both of his fist and squared up.

he never lost his smile.

i shook his hand, said thanks champ and he continued to wow hundreds
of passengers just with his presense alone.

when you see boxers like ali it makes you sick that people would ever compare him to the likes of mike tyson.
one is a champ and the other is an absolute loser.

the heavyweight boxing championship has been riddled with utter turmoil that simply disgraced the sport since ali left it seems a lifetime ago.

just needed to share this with you, i hope you didn't mind.

sincerely,

Ron

May 13th, 2005, 10:04 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I know what it's like to meet someone famous you admire. Many years ago I got to meet and spend a little time with Paul McCartney and I remember it vividly. So I know where you're coming from.

May 13th, 2005, 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Ron, that's awesome! Ali is a classy guy who has great character. He's a true role model, unlike those Mike Tyson guys. I agree, Ali should never be compared to Tyson or vica versa. Tyson is nowhere near Ali's league, as a boxer and as a person.

My buddy was dating the daughter of the hockey columnist for the USA Today, so we got to go to a ton of Red Wings games. Game 7, Aves/Wings WC finals anyone? When Roy got pulled after giving up 6 goals. Good times. Got to meet all the Wings players, talk about some humble guys for hockey players.

Last edited by conversion02 on May 14th, 2005, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, 2005, 12:18 am
Site Admin

One time some friends and I in high school were doing one of those goofy video scanvanger hunts and one thing was to push ups with an athelete. So we stopped by Barry Sanders house knocked on his door and asked him if we could get him doing some push ups with us. He was on a long distance call and was gracious enough to get off the phone come out and he did exactly what we asked with a smile. Of course he could not keep up with me but we edited that out of the film to save him the embarassment :lol: It was extremely cool of him and looking back extremely RUDE of us. We had bawls to do that to the poor guy of whom we all know likes his privacy but he was a great sport about.

May 14th, 2005, 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Thats so awesome Ron. It makes me mad that people like Don King and Mike Tyson are the face of boxing, even my hometown hero, floyd mayweather is a jerk. It must have been amazing. I have never gotten to meet people like barry, the greatest running back of all time, and the wings. The only athlete I have gotten to meet is Brian Diemer, whom I know a little bit from working with him on his 5K. He was a medalist on the US olympic track team in the 80's.

Hands can't hit what the eyes can't see, float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, rumble young man rumble. :lol:

May 14th, 2005, 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]