View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 12:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions at Saints 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions at Saints
mwill2 wrote:
There were a lot of disagreeable calls but the Lions committed plenty of boneheaded penalties and absolutely deserved to lose tonight. Every team is victimized by officiating from time to time but you can't blame the referees for bad officiating when you make so many stupid, obvious errors. Collinsworth hit the nail on the head--you'd think the team would have learned a lesson from Suh. Apparently not.

A few bright spots: Stafford was lights out. If there hadn't been so many drive-killing penalties, the game could have been close. Kevin Smith ran hard--I hope he can stay healthy one of these days. Brees did what he always does, but the defense held up better than I thought they would considering that Suh and half the secondary was missing.

slybri19 wrote:
The reason the Lions lost can be broke down into two words: stupid penalties. Until they can fix that, they neither deserve nor belong in the playoffs.

Nailed it. If they can't clean it up, they have no business in the playoffs.

Agree, and at the end of the season, if they don't make it, Schwartz can tell the players to look in the mirror to see the reason why. I don't believe I've ever seen such a talented team spend so much time beating themselves.

December 5th, 2011, 1:34 am
RIP Killer

georgechuvalo wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
georgechuvalo wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
its getting really f***in old

They are not coached plain and simple.

Wow, tell us what else you see at the practices, since you're apparently there!

It does not take a person with brains you obviously lack any to know that they are not coached. I will ignore anything you post in the future.

Wow, this coming from the clown who has had many threads locked?

If you bothered to watch the games, you'd see Schwartz yelling at the guys on the sidelines. He can only do so much. If you think he can control Logan jaw jacking or pett pushing the arm of a ref, you're an idiot. Bench both of those idiots next week.

December 5th, 2011, 1:45 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

conversion02 wrote:
If you bothered to watch the games, you'd see Schwartz yelling at the guys on the sidelines. He can only do so much. If you think he can control Logan jaw jacking or pett pushing the arm of a ref, you're an idiot. Bench both of those idiots next week.

I agree with you. Young's helmet punch goes in that conversation as well. How Schwartz deals with Logan, Young, and Pettigrew will be very telling. I agree that all of them should sit all or part of next week's game--he benched Gosder after his boneheaded play in week 1 and it worked.

I've always said that I think Schwartz is encouraging the aggressiveness but the penalties tonight weren't aggressive penalties like late hits and stuff like that--it was after-the-whistle stuff that can only come from either immaturity, stupidity, or both. I hope Schwartz cracks the whip this week--and I hope the veterans on the team step up to the plate as well.

December 5th, 2011, 1:52 am
QB Coach

liontrax wrote:
Agree the mental mistakes by our young Lions must stop. I would expect they will as this team grows and matures. Young's was a stupid rookie mistake. Pettigrew was retaliating for the flagrant defensive overplay that the official didn't call, and then lost his cool and shoved the zebra, when he intervened. Logans was totally inexcusable. The Lions coaching staff doesn't encourage this immature play. You could practically see the smoke rolling out of Schwartz's ears over the constant ineptitude of his team to stay focused and just play.

But who cares what " Herm Edwards says "

Notice he's a mouthpiece on a TV show, and hasn't been employed by a team for a while now. Wonder why that is? I rank his opinions right up there with Millen's.

Comparing Edwards to Millen is a joke. Edwards was a coach who worked his way up and ultimately had some success as a head coach. He's not a great coach by any means, but he has coached in the NFL a lot and does know what happens on successful teams. I'd take his perspective over a lot of other people's when it comes to coaching dynamics. By your rationale, we shouldn't care what a guy like Gruden or Cowher say either since they're just mouthpieces on a TV show. Who cares that they've won super bowls. They're just mouthpieces now and know nothing.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 5th, 2011, 9:44 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

At the risk of doling out inconsistent punishment, I'd waive Logan (he's disappeared anyways) and have AB or RD return kicks. Sit Titus and Pett for a quarter at least.

December 5th, 2011, 9:56 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Eric Wright was Garbage all night long. He missed so many tackles (he looked like he was sliding in to home plate on a few of them.) And I don't the lions have a coverage he can't blow.

December 5th, 2011, 10:22 am
QB Coach

I saw that Dom apparently went ballistic in the locker room after the game and called out guys for playing like idiots. Glad to hear someone on the team is taking people to task for their stupid play. Then again, Dom would know about losing his cool and doing something stupid, so....

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 5th, 2011, 10:34 am

lionsfanva wrote:
Eric Wright was Garbage all night long. He missed so many tackles (he looked like he was sliding in to home plate on a few of them.) And I don't the lions have a coverage he can't blow.

I think Houston and Berry will be the starting cornerbacks next year if we don't draft somebody. Glad to see Alphonso back in action--not surprisingly, he came closest to getting a pick.

December 5th, 2011, 10:39 am
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I saw that Dom apparently went ballistic in the locker room after the game and called out guys for playing like idiots. Glad to hear someone on the team is taking people to task for their stupid play. Then again, Dom would know about losing his cool and doing something stupid, so....

The difference is, Raiola doesn't it do it on the field. He doesn't penalize the team.

Raiola grabbed Young after his mistake and chewed him out on the sidelines. Good. But at the same time, Schwartz was talking to Young when Dom stepped in and he completely cut off Schwartz. That's NOT good. That's undermining the coaches authority. It shows a lack of respect by a veteran player towards the coach. And stuff like that gets picked up on by the rookies and new free agents. He doesn't have to be a task master, hard case coach like a Tom Coughlin. But he needs to establish that pecking order in the locker room and let it be known, without a doubt, that he is the captain of the ship.

December 5th, 2011, 10:49 am

m2karateman wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

The difference is, Raiola doesn't it do it on the field. He doesn't penalize the team.

Raiola grabbed Young after his mistake and chewed him out on the sidelines. Good. But at the same time, Schwartz was talking to Young when Dom stepped in and he completely cut off Schwartz. That's NOT good. That's undermining the coaches authority. It shows a lack of respect by a veteran player towards the coach. And stuff like that gets picked up on by the rookies and new free agents. He doesn't have to be a task master, hard case coach like a Tom Coughlin. But he needs to establish that pecking order in the locker room and let it be known, without a doubt, that he is the captain of the ship.

Peterman used to do dumb sh** like that and he stopped. I wonder if it was Dom's influence?

December 5th, 2011, 10:54 am
RIP Killer

On a plus note like someone said, Stafford played well. Even more encouraging, he took a monster hit to the shoulder and didn't miss a beat. Starting to think the guy can take a hit...

Also, hope he learns a lot from seeing Rodgers and Brees in back-to-back weeks. Those guys should have gone to med school cause they are surgeons - wow!

December 5th, 2011, 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

Despite the dumb mistakes and penalties after the whistle, I have to say I'm impressed by the game we put together. We looked good at the line and held NO to a few 3 & outs even when Fairley had to take a break. Offensively we actually started moving the chains and would've had at least 2 more opportunities to score if penalties hadn't negated them. It's frustrating because you can see the talent and sheer ability to go up against any team in the NFL. One good thing to take away (and it's obviously already been said a few times) is that most of our woes this game and last were from inexperience which will get better as time goes on. I'd rather have these problems than be where we were a few years ago where there just wasn't enough talent/confidence on the team to win a game.

December 5th, 2011, 1:06 pm

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
Despite the dumb mistakes and penalties after the whistle, I have to say I'm impressed by the game we put together. We looked good at the line and held NO to a few 3 & outs even when Fairley had to take a break. Offensively we actually started moving the chains and would've had at least 2 more opportunities to score if penalties hadn't negated them. It's frustrating because you can see the talent and sheer ability to go up against any team in the NFL. One good thing to take away (and it's obviously already been said a few times) is that most of our woes this game and last were from inexperience which will get better as time goes on. I'd rather have these problems than be where we were a few years ago where there just wasn't enough talent/confidence on the team to win a game.

+1. My thoughts exactly.

December 5th, 2011, 1:15 pm
RIP Killer

I'm sorry...but inexperience?! This isn't the first year these guys have played organized football. What they were doing isn't allowable on ANY level of football, and all of these guys have played for freakin' years.

This isn't about inexperience....it's about inability and unwillingness to control your emotions. Teams have a blueprint, and they are working to it page for page, line for line, to help the Lions destroy themselves. They know enough about the game and the rules to know better than to push officials, throw a ball at your opponent and hit a guy in the facemask with the official standing right there.

Were I one of the veterans on this team, I'd call a players only meeting today and basically rip each and every person on the team a new aszhole. And after that Schwartz, Gunner, Linehan and Mayhew should each take turns doing exactly the same freakin' thing.

I've never in my life seen a team with so much talent just destroy itself from within two weeks in a row. They'll never win the physical aspects of the game until they can overcome the mental aspects of it. This is a team that has no business thinking about playoffs right now. Their collective maturity level is in the sewer.

December 5th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Stadium Announcer

IMO: A lot of the personal foul calls Detroit gets is out of frustration because of biased officiating. Matt Stafford after the game in the press conference even said, I have never been part of a game with 3 offensive PI calls. Complete BS, I have been watching football for a long time and I agree I also have never seen that one sided officiating of a game. In fact the last 3 games Have been some of the most one sided officiating I have ever seen. Every time there is a questionable call on the field The TV stations never show the replay either which pisses me off. Every other game I watch, they always show the replay of the penalty...when its the lions...nope.

Maybe its just a conspiracy theory but I think the NFL never wants the lions to win. Period.

Also the lions lost the game for themselves...just wanted to make that clear they should have won that football game and because they are a bunch of dumb monkeys....we just cant do it. Were to young and undisciplined. But its hard to beat teams like the Packers and Saints when we have to play the Refs to...Just saying.

December 5th, 2011, 4:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next