View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Should Schwartz be Let Go? 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Should Schwartz be Let Go?
Honestly, if they finish 8-8 I think Mayhew has to consider it.

December 5th, 2011, 1:46 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Should Schwartz be Let Go?
Wow...and here we go...

December 5th, 2011, 1:47 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

No.

December 5th, 2011, 1:52 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Blueskies wrote:

8-8 would be the best record this team has seen in well over a decade. And before Schwartz, this was the worst team in the history of professional football. Think about it.

December 5th, 2011, 1:56 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The past two weeks they've lost to probably the best two teams in the NFL. Tonight they showed they can hang with the Saints, even with a banged up secondary and a running game that's been compared to the drummers in Spinal Tap. Let's see what happens in the coming weeks when we have games we're expected to win.

December 5th, 2011, 2:02 am
Player of the Year - Defense

True, but I think Mayhew is much more responsible for the team's improvement.

I'm not saying they should absolutely make the switch, if I was Mayhew and the team finished .500 I would bring Schwartz in for a review and consider other candidates.

December 5th, 2011, 2:03 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

No. This question doesn't even deserve a response.

December 5th, 2011, 2:23 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

slybri19 wrote:

Agree!

December 5th, 2011, 9:28 am
QB Coach

Absolutely not. The team has trended up in nearly every way. SMH

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 5th, 2011, 9:46 am
League MVP

No - a reasonable time line for the Lions should have been something like this

2008 - 0-16. Listed only as start point
2009 -
Goal: Implement Stafford and end the losing streak.
Result: 2-14 Stafford showed plenty of flashes and built the trust of his teammates in the win vs Cleveland. Lions were much more competitive than 2009.
Goal: Learn to win and rise out from laughingstock category (goal 6-7 wins)
Result: With Stafford injured the Lions came very close to doing enough to have Mayhew at least considering a new coach. But the 2-10 start was salvaged by a 4 game road winning streak with backups all over the field. In the meantime the Lions showed strength on the defensive line and showed enough to attract solid FAs to patch some holes and definitely opened some eyes by beating Tampa and Green Bay both 10 win teams. Schwartz was close to failing here (though injuries played a role) but made it through.
Goal: Okay so you ve learned how to win now its time to become good and have meaningful games in December with playoff implications.
Result: Mission alreadt accomplished as all of the december games are now meaningful. Lions take the next 3 - all winnable games and that should be enough to exceed the goal. If we can clean up the penalties we can beat any of the teams we lost to, talented young team needs to mature.
Goal: Make the playoffs and make it into second weekend.

December 5th, 2011, 10:04 am
RIP Killer

Based on last night, I'd still say no....but with a caveat.

If I were Mayhew, I'd pull Schwartz aside and tell him he needs to get this team under control. Last night was an embarrassment. Not due to the score, but due to the lack of self control a number of players showed on the field. They learned NOTHING from Suh being suspended. They are allowing themselves to be psyched out of their focus by simple taunting.

I agree that players must police themselves, but I saw how Schwartz reacted to it, and was not pleased. Maybe he should just put a padded leather couch on the sidelines. This way he can officially act like a freakin' therapist. He needs to quit being a friend, and act like a head coach in the NFL.

I'd prefer he grabbed the guy by the facemask, chewed his azz out on national TV, and sent him to the locker room. A message needs to be sent.

At this point, if I'm Martin Mayhew I make no bones about it to Schwartz. Your extension is NOT guaranteed, and you WILL be evaluated after this season. It has nothing to do with the teams record. It has EVERYTHING to do with what seems to be a complete lack of respect permeating this team. No respect for the fans, the officials, the other players, their own teammates, coaches or owners. It's pathetic.

December 5th, 2011, 10:16 am
League MVP

i agree with above m2k post

as for the penalties, you could kind of see titus young getting away with that kind of thing earlier in the season and combined with his cocky attitude, a penalty was coming. how will he respond, does he understand the limits now? why wasnt he told that he got away with too much after the whistle pushing shoving earlier in the year? or was he? if so then he should be benched. if not young is a rook and paid the price by sitting when he was badly needed in the second half but maybe putting davis on the depth chart ahead of him will really get the point across.

pettigrew had a horse.... showing all game long and needed to be restrained at other times earlier in the game. somebody on sidelines, teammate had to get through to him sooner. a benching is in order.

logan penalty was completely out of nowhere, yeah he jaws a lot but that seemed completely out of character. return ur kicks and get off the field or ur cut.

December 5th, 2011, 10:28 am
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:

+ 1

December 5th, 2011, 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Blueskies wrote:
Should Schwartz be Let Go?

No! For all the reasons posted, and then a few more; not a chance!

I do strongly agree with M2K's post that Mayhew does have to give a directive to Schwartz to get this under control right away though.

Schwartz is better than just a good coach. He's young enough to learn from this and I suspect smart enough to figure out how to get himself out of this mess. But he does have to put an end to it right away.

December 5th, 2011, 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

m2karateman wrote:
Based on last night, I'd still say no....but with a caveat.

If I were Mayhew, I'd pull Schwartz aside and tell him he needs to get this team under control. Last night was an embarrassment. Not due to the score, but due to the lack of self control a number of players showed on the field. They learned NOTHING from Suh being suspended. They are allowing themselves to be psyched out of their focus by simple taunting.

I agree that players must police themselves, but I saw how Schwartz reacted to it, and was not pleased. Maybe he should just put a padded leather couch on the sidelines. This way he can officially act like a freakin' therapist. He needs to quit being a friend, and act like a head coach in the NFL.

I'd prefer he grabbed the guy by the facemask, chewed his azz out on national TV, and sent him to the locker room. A message needs to be sent.

At this point, if I'm Martin Mayhew I make no bones about it to Schwartz. Your extension is NOT guaranteed, and you WILL be evaluated after this season. It has nothing to do with the teams record. It has EVERYTHING to do with what seems to be a complete lack of respect permeating this team. No respect for the fans, the officials, the other players, their own teammates, coaches or owners. It's pathetic.

ROFL?

So when I say it in another thread, you disagree with me.

But in this thread, 9 hours later, you agree with me.

OK fine. Now you agree with me?

December 5th, 2011, 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next