View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 12:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Should Schwartz be Let Go? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Should Schwartz be Let Go?
49ers wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Based on last night, I'd still say no....but with a caveat.

If I were Mayhew, I'd pull Schwartz aside and tell him he needs to get this team under control. Last night was an embarrassment. Not due to the score, but due to the lack of self control a number of players showed on the field. They learned NOTHING from Suh being suspended. They are allowing themselves to be psyched out of their focus by simple taunting.

I agree that players must police themselves, but I saw how Schwartz reacted to it, and was not pleased. Maybe he should just put a padded leather couch on the sidelines. This way he can officially act like a freakin' therapist. He needs to quit being a friend, and act like a head coach in the NFL.

I'd prefer he grabbed the guy by the facemask, chewed his azz out on national TV, and sent him to the locker room. A message needs to be sent.

At this point, if I'm Martin Mayhew I make no bones about it to Schwartz. Your extension is NOT guaranteed, and you WILL be evaluated after this season. It has nothing to do with the teams record. It has EVERYTHING to do with what seems to be a complete lack of respect permeating this team. No respect for the fans, the officials, the other players, their own teammates, coaches or owners. It's pathetic.

ROFL?

So when I say it in another thread, you disagree with me.

But in this thread, 9 hours later, you agree with me.

OK fine. Now you agree with me?

What exactly do I disagree with?

If you are talking about the coach being responsible.....not exactly. I still say that the players are accountable for their own actions. I just think that with MULTIPLE players having breakdowns now, it's time for Schwartz to take a more direct approach. Obviously the good guy, I'm here to listen routine isn't working.

I don't think the Lions should fire Schwartz. But I believe he needs to be told to get his players under control. Any decent GM (which excludes Millen) would do that. Having one player going overboard is one thing. Having a number of them follow suit immediately afterward is indicative of something else.

You contend that the players are following Schwartz' lead, and I don't buy that at all. You call Schwartz the "angriest" coach in NFL history, merely because he doesn't vomit sunshine during pre-game interviews. That is complete and utter garbage. Measuring your answers in an interview is something intelligent PEOPLE do, not just intelligent coaches. And his antics on the sidelines are no worse than most other NFL coaches, as I've already pointed out, including your own 49ers coach.

But then again, if Schwartz did do what I suggest, and chew the player out on the sideline, you'd probably think he's even an angrier coach....so, I don't know exactly what it is you expect from him....or me, for that matter.

December 5th, 2011, 4:32 pm
Stadium Announcer

Should schwartz be let go....no. Should the Fords tell him to get this team under control because they are becoming embarrising...yes.

You cant get rid of Schwartz yet. He is one of the big reasons that this team plays with the ferocity that they do. He is also part of the reason they go overboard. My pt. is that Schwartz cant be the one to discipline this team imo. It has to come from the veteran players. Its like a mom and dad who smoke crack with their kid, telling them what they do is wrong. Schwartz on field conduct is the same as the things his players are showing. Maybe a player like Bacus or Dom needs to tell Schwartz that this is getting out of control and we need to get a handle on it.

December 5th, 2011, 5:02 pm
Junior Varsity

Come on folks, this team is not completly put together yet, we are a year away. If we make the playoffs this year, then great, but I will be much closer to Indy on Super Sunday than the Lions will be this year. Part of all this process is to learn, and learn they must. I think it needed to get this bad in order to get it fixed. It will get fixed, screw Chris Collingsworth, Schwartz will be fine.

December 5th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Team MVP

Absolutely not. Is Schwartz the one causing all these stupid penalties? Is Schwartz the one dropping well thrown balls?

NO
NO
NO

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 5th, 2011, 7:21 pm
Walk On

This question is ridiculous. Of course we should fire Schwartz. We look like a bunch of 7th graders out there. Trade CJ while you're at it for teh draft pickzz

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

December 5th, 2011, 8:06 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Okay, this topic was an overreaction.

But it won't be if the Lions do the same crap against the Vikings. This has got to end.

They could've beat the Saints--arguably, the way the D stepped up and the way Stafford was playing they should have beat the Saints.

The Vikings are their last gimme game on the schedule. They should beat them and beat them handily. No crazy penalties.

December 5th, 2011, 8:29 pm
NFL Team Captain

I agree with most everyone else. Schwartz has to come under fire and be held accountable for the embarassing way the Lions are portraying themselves. I do not think he should get fired however, he has turned this team around. Remember he is a rookie Head Coach and he will need some guidance every now and again, as well.

Whether it's Mayhew or somebody higher up the ladder, somebody needs to pull Schwartz into the office and let him know real quick that this behavior will not be tolerated.

December 5th, 2011, 8:42 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

m2karateman wrote:
Based on last night, I'd still say no....but with a caveat.

If I were Mayhew, I'd pull Schwartz aside and tell him he needs to get this team under control. Last night was an embarrassment. Not due to the score, but due to the lack of self control a number of players showed on the field. They learned NOTHING from Suh being suspended. They are allowing themselves to be psyched out of their focus by simple taunting.

I agree that players must police themselves, but I saw how Schwartz reacted to it, and was not pleased. Maybe he should just put a padded leather couch on the sidelines. This way he can officially act like a freakin' therapist. He needs to quit being a friend, and act like a head coach in the NFL.

I'd prefer he grabbed the guy by the facemask, chewed his azz out on national TV, and sent him to the locker room. A message needs to be sent.

At this point, if I'm Martin Mayhew I make no bones about it to Schwartz. Your extension is NOT guaranteed, and you WILL be evaluated after this season. It has nothing to do with the teams record. It has EVERYTHING to do with what seems to be a complete lack of respect permeating this team. No respect for the fans, the officials, the other players, their own teammates, coaches or owners. It's pathetic.

M2k I was going to write nearly the exact same thing thanks for saving me the time. Two player meltdowns in back to back weeks on national TV, if there was ever a time for the head coach to take control and send a message it's now.

December 5th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Veteran General Manager

Blueskies wrote:
Honestly, if they finish 8-8 I think Mayhew has to consider it.

I nominate this post as the dumbest idea since Matt Millen was hired.

Let's just start all over because the road got rough for a few games in a row.

Schwarts will get this thing under control. There is only just so much he can do at this point in the season. Next year when players that did the stupid crap this year don't make the team, or gets traded ( Young is not so good that he can't be traded if the price is right), the rest of the team with get the message.

I bet Logan don't make the team next year. The new rule has made it impossible for him to live up to the expectations anyway.

As for Pettigrew's penalty: I don't blame him for being ticked off. The Saints defender stomped on his junk and the ref stood there and watched without throwing the flag.

But, the rest of the "after the play" stuff was unacceptable. And I am confident Schwartz will deal with it.

December 7th, 2011, 3:18 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
#-o

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 7th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

devildog wrote:
Come on folks, this team is not completly put together yet, we are a year away. If we make the playoffs this year, then great, but I will be much closer to Indy on Super Sunday than the Lions will be this year. Part of all this process is to learn, and learn they must. I think it needed to get this bad in order to get it fixed. It will get fixed, screw Chris Collingsworth, Schwartz will be fine.

+1

December 7th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Did anyone hear the interview 97.1 did with Burleson?

Basically, what he hinted at, is that since Schwartz got here, he has encouraged a culture of toughness and intimidation. The intention of which was to clear the stigma from being the "same ol' lions" where teams would expect to just come in and beat up on the Lions and go home. Now, the Lions may still lose, but the team will have a sense of fear.

Clearly, he has succeeded in doing this, but he's gone too far. Can he reign it in?

December 7th, 2011, 10:57 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Blueskies wrote:

Basically, what he hinted at, is that since Schwartz got here, he has encouraged a culture of toughness and intimidation. The intention of which was to clear the stigma from being the "same ol' lions" where teams would expect to just come in and beat up on the Lions and go home. Now, the Lions may still lose, but the team will have a sense of fear.

Clearly, he has succeeded in doing this, but he's gone too far. Can he reign it in?

And maybe Burleson should do something, he has sucked this year.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 7th, 2011, 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:

Encouraging toughness and intimidation is not encouraging penalties. It is not encouraging on-field assault. Schwartz hasn't gone too far, the players have. I agree that Schwartz needs to address it, and I'm sure he has. But ultimately it's up to the players to screw their heads on straight and play between the whistles.

December 8th, 2011, 10:04 am
Blueskies wrote:
Honestly, if they finish 8-8 I think Mayhew has to consider it.

"It depends" is my answer. It depends on who is available. There is no doubt in my mind that Jim Harbaugh is a better coach than Jim Schwartz - no doubt. Harbaugh wouldn't tolerate this nonsense on his team. You know how I know? Because it doesn't EXIST on his team. Singletary had a problem-child or two. Look at all of the issues that Singletary had with V. Davis. They're gone under Harbaugh.

A lot of people want to compare us to the Steelers and the Ravens. Playing tough (Baltimore Ravens) is different than playing dirty. I think there are a few players that play dirty on the Steelers, but they also have superstars Troy P that maintain a clean image with tough guy play. Our superstar doesn't do that for us, he IS the dirty player on our D. I think people look at Pitts D as Troy's D, and Baltimore's D as Ray Lewis' D, and they play relatively clean football, and maintain a fairly clean off the field image. There's no question that the Lions D is Suh's Defense. He's labled dirty and so are the rest of them, and IMO that's clearly at the hands of Schwartz.

I said at the beginning of the season that I think Schwartz may be the guy to get us to the playoffs, but I don't think we'll go further with him. Sure, we've progressed under Schwartz, and there's a possiblity that he could take us further. However, if there's another guy out there better suited to take us all the way, I think we have grab him.

December 9th, 2011, 10:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next