HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

Burleson/Young
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15476
Page 1 of 4

Author:  mwill2 [ December 6th, 2011, 12:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Burleson/Young

I've been a big Burleson supporter but he has really disappointed this year. He's supposed to be the #2 but he's not been able to get open and the PI calls suggest that tight coverage is frustrating him. In the preseason, Burleson looked poised for a big year but he's been shut down during the regular season. This is particularly troubling given that CJ is getting doubled on virtually every play and Pettigrew is getting attention in the middle of the field. Most of the time, Burleson just has to beat one guy to get open underneath and he's not getting it done.

Where Burleson has been effective this year is running screens and reverses--he still does these things very well. These are essential skills for the #2 WR in Linehan's offense. However, what I noticed in the New Orleans game was that Titus Young was running some of these plays. I figured Young would eventually be the full-time #2 but I didn't think it would happen until next season. We've seen Young go deep down field and now we've seen him running some plays that Burleson usually runs--Young is doing the stuff the #2 is supposed to do.

While the boneheaded penalty vs. New Orleans was a strike against him, it looks to me that Young is quickly becoming the #2 WR over Burleson. Thoughts?

Author:  thelomasbrowns [ December 6th, 2011, 12:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

I don't think Burleson was ever meant to be a deep threat. As you noted, most of the passes directed towards him are set up for him to catch and run (even the ones that go downfield). He hasn't been getting touchdowns, but I have him in fantasy and he's been relatively productive every week.

Young seems to be everything they wanted when they drafted him. He's a rookie and does dumb things like running the wrong routes and getting penalties, but overall he seems like the real deal.

Author:  m2karateman [ December 6th, 2011, 12:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

first off, the PI calls were absolute crap. I've seen defensive guys push receivers with more effort while the ball was in the air and not get flagged. Those calls were made by an officiating crew looking to make a call against the Lions. Make no mistake, the Lions took themselves out of that game....but the officiating was BEYOND lopsided in that contest, and everyone knew it. It was like watching "The Longest Yard", and the Lions were the Mean Machine.

As for Burleson's play the remaining portion of the year, I agree that he hasn't been relevant enough. However, we all knew that when the Lions signed him he was not an ideal #2. Schwartz and Mayhew referring to him as an "eraser" was a bit of a joke, even then. He doesn't make any team forget about Calvin, or make them pay for the team double or triple covering Calvin.

Titus Young won't either, but I think he gets off jams a bit better than Nate. The Lions need another big, physical receiver as their #2 guy to overcome the man to man, press coverage that Burleson constantly gets. Burleson just isn't up to the task. He does better when the Lions put him in motion so he can avoid the jam.

Author:  mwill2 [ December 6th, 2011, 12:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

Being a deep threat isn't the primary job for the #2. He's got to get open underneath, run reverses/screens, and occasionally go over the top so just Calvin doesn't get gassed by constantly running deep. Burleson was perfectly adequate in this role last year.

I just think his play has declined this year and Young seems to be taking over. Young needs to gets his head straightened out and he needs to get on the same page with Stafford on the option routes--if he does that, he'll be a good #2.

Author:  kdsberman [ December 6th, 2011, 2:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

I think once Young gets past his rookie season and has a full off season with no CBA or injuries to hold him back, he will definetely improve upon his mistakes and be a solid #2.

Author:  LionsFan4Life [ December 6th, 2011, 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

kdsberman wrote:
I think once Young gets past his rookie season and has a full off season with no CBA or injuries to hold him back, he will definetely improve upon his mistakes and be a solid #2.


+1

Author:  Killwill25 [ December 6th, 2011, 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

Young might have the best hands on the team

Author:  Pablo [ December 6th, 2011, 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

Killwill25 wrote:
Young might have the best hands on the team


I thought that was Pett! :shock:

In fairness to Nate, Staff spreads the ball around pretty well to CJ, Young, Pett, Scheff and the RBs. He gets his catches, more between the 20's as he hasn't been that much of a red zone target.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ December 9th, 2011, 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

m2karateman wrote:
first off, the PI calls were absolute crap. I've seen defensive guys push receivers with more effort while the ball was in the air and not get flagged. Those calls were made by an officiating crew looking to make a call against the Lions. Make no mistake, the Lions took themselves out of that game....but the officiating was BEYOND lopsided in that contest, and everyone knew it. It was like watching "The Longest Yard", and the Lions were the Mean Machine.

As for Burleson's play the remaining portion of the year, I agree that he hasn't been relevant enough. However, we all knew that when the Lions signed him he was not an ideal #2. Schwartz and Mayhew referring to him as an "eraser" was a bit of a joke, even then. He doesn't make any team forget about Calvin, or make them pay for the team double or triple covering Calvin.

Titus Young won't either, but I think he gets off jams a bit better than Nate. The Lions need another big, physical receiver as their #2 guy to overcome the man to man, press coverage that Burleson constantly gets. Burleson just isn't up to the task. He does better when the Lions put him in motion so he can avoid the jam.



I've been saying that for three years now (since we decided make Bryan Johnson our #2ish WR). Some say that you can "get by" or "be successful" with a #2 like Nate, but IMO a much better situation is to have two deep threats, and two sizeable deep threats. I'm sick of watching guys play out of position, and I'm sick of over-paying guys to play roles that they're not suited to play. Nate is a #3 WR, period. He's playing a #2 role, and I believe he's getting paid as such (isn't he making like $5-6.5 mill a year?).

Author:  Detroit_LIons [ December 19th, 2011, 8:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

So the question is , do you bring him back next year ? I wouldnt

Author:  mwill2 [ December 19th, 2011, 10:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

Detroit_LIons wrote:
So the question is , do you bring him back next year ? I wouldnt


Sure, bring him back. He's already under contract. Just need Titus to step into #2 role full time. Burleson can probably play the #3 role for several years.

Author:  kdsberman [ December 19th, 2011, 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

mwill2 wrote:
Detroit_LIons wrote:
So the question is , do you bring him back next year ? I wouldnt


Sure, bring him back. He's already under contract. Just need Titus to step into #2 role full time. Burleson can probably play the #3 role for several years.



I agree with this. No need to make WR a need when we have several others.

Author:  Pablo [ December 19th, 2011, 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

We have nobody to step up into the #3 role if Young moves up to #2 and Burleson is let go. The Lions coaching staff understands the importance of having 3 solid WRs, that is why they invested such a high pick in Titus. They chased that #3 WR for years, but if you want to invite guys like Derrick Williams and Bryant Johnson back then go for it. I do not...

Author:  slybri19 [ December 19th, 2011, 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

I think Titus Young will take over Burleson's role as the #2 WR in a year or two, but I certainly wouldn't get rid of Nate until Titus proves he is up to the challenge. Besides, as Pablo just said, who do they have to replace Young as the #3?

Author:  Detroit_LIons [ December 19th, 2011, 7:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burleson/Young

Upgrade in free agency .. Meachem is a free agent who is young up and coming who would be the preferable choice and so is Eddie Royal .. Royal has been down , but he hasnt had that great of an O .. If Young is ready for the # 2 he can be our 3 guy. Branch maybe as well .. I'm just not feeling Young Nathaniel ..

Page 1 of 4 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/