View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Gun being...Gun. 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Gun being...Gun.
Quote:
Lions DC Gunther Cunningham in his own words
Posted by ttwentyman on December 9, 2011 – 8:31 pm

One of the highlights every week for anyone who covers the Lions is getting a chance to talk to defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham on Fridays.
Cunningham is widely respected around the league with nearly 30 years of NFL coaching experience under his belt.
His players all rave about him and the media loves him because he isn’t afraid to speak his mind.
Here are a couple snippets of our conversation with Cunningham this week:

On Vikings tackle Jared Allen and his negative comments about Detroit:
“He is not good enough to live here. I know him well. He should go back to California – Los Gatos – where all those nice people live. It is too tough of a town for him.
“I love Jared Allen and he makes all those comments and I hope he didn’t learn them all from me, but he is an outstanding player. I love the guy. He plays great and he has great quotes for you all and they are good for the fans to read. If I were him though, in the streets I have driven down, I’ve made some wrong turns in town and for me, I got stopped one day and I looked out the window and they all yelled, ‘Hey coach, how are you?’ I went out and signed autographs. Jared, if you come to town, you are not going to get to sign autographs.”

On the problem the team’s had with penalties over the last couple weeks:
“We don’t try to get penalties because we want to get penalties, we get penalties because we are playing our hearts out. There isn’t anybody that can accuse us of not playing hard.
“On defense, and I can speak for that pretty freely, all I tell my guys is play in between the lines. Hit them when you see their eyes. Don’t hit guys in the back. We are going to hit them right in the head, in the face and all over the body as long as they are looking at us. That is how we teach. Our guys need to understand that you can’t do that after the whistle, can’t do it before the whistle, but the rest of the time we are going to play and we are going to play as hard as possible.”

On the criticism the Lions have faced about being an undisciplined team:
“Here is the issue for me: there are some ex-coaches on television, in the media, making statements. Why don’t they come talk to me about it? Tell them to face me and come and talk to me about it.
“Don’t tell me how to coach. They were in high school and maybe not even born when I started in this business. I think I know a little bit about it and I will challenge any coach to ever face me up, 1-on-1, put the tape on and tell me how to coach football. That is what I object to.
“The media, the rest of you, you do your job. But those guys, to tell Jim Schwartz how to coach, tell me how to coach, good luck. They are not coaching. They are on TV. I wonder why they are on TV? There is a reason for that and I am still standing in front of you and we are still coaching. We want our guys to play hard. That is how we play. People overreact to all that stuff so I am tired of hearing about it. I really am.”

On defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh:
“I don’t just say he is a great man, I mean it. Behind those words, there is a lot of meaning. I think he is one of the most outstanding young men I have ever met in my life and I don’t care what the rest of the world says. Basically they can say what they want. But I can too. I will stand up for him at any time, any place and I am right. I know I am right.
“I have been doing this for a long time. I am a father of a couple of kids that are close to 30 and I think they are doing okay and I challenge anybody, anybody, to meet this guy and talk to him. This guy plays football. Yeah, there is something that triggers him and he is coached by a guy that gets triggered real easy about a lot of things and to me, what happened in the game, is in the past.
“When he comes back here, if I see one of our players blink, they are going to have to deal with me. And I have told them that already and they are all supportive and I will support him as much as humanly possible. That is how we are going to start off and we are going to play.”

December 9th, 2011, 8:37 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Post Re: Gun being...Gun.
I love Gun. I hope he sticks around Detroit for a long time.

December 11th, 2011, 12:32 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

There's a lot of things that can be said about Gunther, but I love his passion.

December 12th, 2011, 12:18 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
LioneeR wrote:
I love Gun. I hope he sticks around Detroit for a long time.

+1

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

December 12th, 2011, 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Good read, but I would be willing to bet that there are a TON of "ex coaches" and commentators that would LOVE to drill him on our lack of discipline. Gun can handle those comments to a news paper reporter throwing him softballs, and not pinning him down, but if he sat down at ESPN and had to justify tape I HIGHLY doubt he could do it.

December 12th, 2011, 10:27 am
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Good read, but I would be willing to bet that there are a TON of "ex coaches" and commentators that would LOVE to drill him on our lack of discipline. Gun can handle those comments to a news paper reporter throwing him softballs, and not pinning him down, but if he sat down at ESPN and had to justify tape I HIGHLY doubt he could do it.

Are you never happy unless you are miserable?

December 12th, 2011, 12:16 pm
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Are you never happy unless you are miserable?

There's nothing miserable about that statement, Billy. Gun discounted some well deserved criticism by more or less discrediting the source. It seems to me that our coaches are much more inclined to make excuses for the lack of discipline on this team than they are willing to address it.

The general sentiment on this board is that we either "are" or "were" undisciplined to some degree, the coaches need to do something about it about, and it needs to be addressed. The general sentiment from our coaches seems to be, outwardly at least, that there is no problem and no lack of discipline.

The issue isn't going to get fixed until they come to the realization that it exists.

December 12th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]