View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 How Broken is the Defense? How Do You Fix It? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: How Broken is the Defense? How Do You Fix It?
Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
Another fair question to ask is - is it worth spending resources on the defense? Our d is better than the saints d, I don't think many would disagree w that. Their offense has more dimensions to it than ours does. What's the better way to use ur resources? Have a good offense and good defense?

Quote:
I've learned that sometimes the way to fix a defense is through your offense.

Quote:
It's our offense, not our D that let us down in Cincy. If we would have taken advantage of those two turnovers, it would have been a different game. After the 2nd turnover and the subsequent 3 and out, NO marched right down the field, effortlessly, and scored. Our D was tired, dejected, and out of gas/emotion. Our offense never matched NOs intensity after that, failed to answer, and our D stayed in the dumps.

Fix the damn OL and this will be a MUCH better team.

This is cliche' of a cliche'...but seriously, what are you guys smoking?

The offense is fine. I was in NO. That first drive...you have no idea how loud that stadium was, it was like a jackhammer. Stafford marched right down the field and picked apart NO like a knife through hot butter. He didn't even have a RB in the backfield for most of the plays! Then you have the comeback in Oakland, the SD game which was all the Lions O and the Chargers dropping balls..

The Lions have a top 5 offense. How much better does it need to get? You wanna challenge the 07' Patriots, the 99' Rams?

Yes, you can give your D a hand by running an O that controls the clock--but it works the other way, too. If your D can't force one ****ing punt, then your O literally has to play the game in a "we need to score on this down or we're ****ed" mode and then they do stupid stuff like run aggressive plays and throw picks (see Stafford at the end of the NO game, the end of the GB game).

If the Lions D could've forced just one or two punts, or caught one or two of those Bree's picks it would've been a completely different game. The O played nearly flawlessly--that was probably the best performance by the Lions O line in the last 10 years--and then got dumb in the 4Q because they knew they wouldn't get any help from their D.

The risk with the Lions O is that Backus and Raiola get old all of a sudden or their RBs keep getting injured. But Stafford is going to get better next year, his connection with CJ and his other receivers should get better etc.

Just get a D that can force one stop. And "they were gassed in the NO game" isn't an effective counter--they couldn't hold Brees at any point in the game, the beginning or the end.

AMEN

January 14th, 2012, 11:45 am
League MVP

hah, we re not smoking anything and neither are sean payton, bill belichik or the packers front office. the fact is that the saints, packers, and patriots have great offenses and terribly ranked defenses yet are the best teams in the league. after countless years of the NFL rules making offense easier and defense more difficult - none of this should be a surprise. anyway like i said before, i ll see what the top defensive teams can pull off here in the playoffs before i confirm that the lions best shot at advancing further next season is to continue to add to the offense more than the defense.

January 14th, 2012, 12:43 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
hah, we re not smoking anything and neither are sean payton, bill belichik or the packers front office. the fact is that the saints, packers, and patriots have great offenses and terribly ranked defenses yet are the best teams in the league. after countless years of the NFL rules making offense easier and defense more difficult - none of this should be a surprise. anyway like i said before, i ll see what the top defensive teams can pull off here in the playoffs before i confirm that the lions best shot at advancing further next season is to continue to add to the offense more than the defense.

Ask yourself this....why are their defenses terribly ranked? Mostly because they can be. Yes, they have high powered offenses that can seemingly score at will. But the DIFFERENCE between the Lions defense and the defenses of Green Bay, New England and New Orleans is that their defenses can make stops when the chips are down most of the time. Certainly not all the time, as we saw today in SF, but most of the time they can do what needs to be done. The Lions were doing that early in the season, but late in the season, WHEN THE CHIPS WERE DOWN, the defense fell woefully short in that department. Detroit scored 41 and 28 points in their last two games. That is SUPPOSED to be enough to win you a game in the NFL. Just because the offense didn't score more points off turnovers doesn't mean the offense is the issue. To state otherwise is utterly and completely ridiculous in the extreme. In the last eight games of the season the Lions defense averaged giving up 31 points per game. That sucks, and has nothing whatsover to do with the offense. In previous years I might have agreed that the Lions couldn't sustain drives and the defense was getting tired, but that is simply no longer the case.

January 14th, 2012, 11:26 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Ask yourself this....why are their defenses terribly ranked? Mostly because they can be. Yes, they have high powered offenses that can seemingly score at will. But the DIFFERENCE between the Lions defense and the defenses of Green Bay, New England and New Orleans is that their defenses can make stops when the chips are down most of the time. Certainly not all the time, as we saw today in SF, but most of the time they can do what needs to be done. The Lions were doing that early in the season, but late in the season, WHEN THE CHIPS WERE DOWN, the defense fell woefully short in that department. Detroit scored 41 and 28 points in their last two games. That is SUPPOSED to be enough to win you a game in the NFL. Just because the offense didn't score more points off turnovers doesn't mean the offense is the issue. To state otherwise is utterly and completely ridiculous in the extreme. In the last eight games of the season the Lions defense averaged giving up 31 points per game. That sucks, and has nothing whatsover to do with the offense. In previous years I might have agreed that the Lions couldn't sustain drives and the defense was getting tired, but that is simply no longer the case.

Have to agree. Seemed to me that the defense didn't have the same spark in the second half of the season. We didn't consistently get enough pressure from the front four, and as always, couldn't stop anyone's running game.

January 15th, 2012, 12:06 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Delmas is a very good player when he's playing at 100%.

Unfortunately, that isn't very often.

January 15th, 2012, 12:05 pm
League MVP

Quote:

Late in the season - Lions stopped Oakland when the CHIPS WERE DOWN to get a comeback win and completely stuffed San Diego when the CHIPS WERE DOWN. Just bc they lost to the 2 best offenses on the road doesnt mean you can say they are all terrible, need an overhaul, etc

That SF-NO game did little to change my mind, Brees put up 460+ yards in the air, the Saints scored 32 points on the road vs a 49er defense that is far superior to the Lions D, got a big play under two minutes to take the lead, and still almost won despite 5 turnovers. In the end neither team could get a stop when it mattered and before you say the 49ers defense forced the turnovers I will remind you that 2 happened on special teams. The Lions D got them 2 turnovers but missed a couple other opportunities. They arent that far away from what is needed to win in today's NFL and neither is the offense but the offense completely lacks a run game and that would make the Lions more dangerous than spending the offseason trying to build a SF defense and still gives up the big play when the game is on the line. Anyway I love defense, Im rooting for the 49ers-Ravens to meet, but it still doesnt seem like the smarter way to build.

I still say the Lions make one or two changes to the defense - ROLB to challenge Levy and another S to challenge Spievey and maybe fill in if Delmas keeps getting injured. - but not dramatically overhaul it. Add another CB that matches up better in nickel dime situations than A Smith does. Then spend more of their resources to secure that run game.

January 15th, 2012, 3:26 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Late in the season - Lions stopped Oakland when the CHIPS WERE DOWN to get a comeback win and completely stuffed San Diego when the CHIPS WERE DOWN. Just bc they lost to the 2 best offenses on the road doesnt mean you can say they are all terrible, need an overhaul, etc

That SF-NO game did little to change my mind, Brees put up 460+ yards in the air, the Saints scored 32 points on the road vs a 49er defense that is far superior to the Lions D, got a big play under two minutes to take the lead, and still almost won despite 5 turnovers. In the end neither team could get a stop when it mattered and before you say the 49ers defense forced the turnovers I will remind you that 2 happened on special teams. The Lions D got them 2 turnovers but missed a couple other opportunities. They arent that far away from what is needed to win in today's NFL and neither is the offense but the offense completely lacks a run game and that would make the Lions more dangerous than spending the offseason trying to build a SF defense and still gives up the big play when the game is on the line. Anyway I love defense, Im rooting for the 49ers-Ravens to meet, but it still doesnt seem like the smarter way to build.

I still say the Lions make one or two changes to the defense - ROLB to challenge Levy and another S to challenge Spievey and maybe fill in if Delmas keeps getting injured. - but not dramatically overhaul it. Add another CB that matches up better in nickel dime situations than A Smith does. Then spend more of their resources to secure that run game.

When did I say that the Lions defense needed an overhaul? I never did, and in the thread where it is discussed I said much the same thing. I truly believe that it's as much the scheme and coaching as it is the personnel. Yes, there are positions we can improve. But unless I'm mistaken, you contended that the offense was the problem, not the defense. An offense won't score all the time. But the Lions offense made many more plays in tight games this season than the defense did. If you can't admit that, then there is no use discussing the issue further.

And as for the NO-SF game, Brees threw for 460 yards.....but look how many times he threw the ball. The Saints were playing from behind the entire game, and the SF defense was stuffing their running game. So Brees throwing for that many yards is not that big a thing. Look how many he threw to Darren Sproles out of the backfield. The 49ers only problem was the same problem EVERY team the Saints played this year had...covering Jimmy Graham. Without him, the Saints lose by two or three TDs.

January 16th, 2012, 10:04 am
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

When did I say that the Lions defense needed an overhaul? I never did, and in the thread where it is discussed I said much the same thing. I truly believe that it's as much the scheme and coaching as it is the personnel. Yes, there are positions we can improve. But unless I'm mistaken, you contended that the offense was the problem, not the defense. An offense won't score all the time. But the Lions offense made many more plays in tight games this season than the defense did. If you can't admit that, then there is no use discussing the issue further.

And as for the NO-SF game, Brees threw for 460 yards.....but look how many times he threw the ball. The Saints were playing from behind the entire game, and the SF defense was stuffing their running game. So Brees throwing for that many yards is not that big a thing. Look how many he threw to Darren Sproles out of the backfield. The 49ers only problem was the same problem EVERY team the Saints played this year had...covering Jimmy Graham. Without him, the Saints lose by two or three TDs.

The only problem is... There is no Patrick Willis in this draft or free agency. That guy is a beast.

That said, I disagree with you a bit M2. Jimmy Grahm is a really good TE (I can't even express how pissed I am that we drafted Pett in the first when I see TEs like Gronkowski, Henderson, Gram, and even Grisham outplaying him in the receiving game), but IMO the Saints have enough offensive talent that they could go 5 wide and accomplish the same end without Grahm. I think they were just as unstoppable with Jeremy Shockey, and they rarely used him.

Still, IMO the Lions D played well enough to win in the first 1/2 of play, and if we could have put up two more TDs in the first 1/2 off of the two Saint's turnovers, and controlled the game with a decent running attack, it would have been a completely different game. Meaning, if our offense would have played better, we would have likely won.

January 17th, 2012, 4:06 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The safety position in the NFL is going to have to go through a significant change in the next few years to keep up with these TE's. It'll be interesting to see how this year's draft is affected.

January 17th, 2012, 4:31 pm
League MVP

Quote:

No, I never said it was the offense or the defense that was the problem but I did say that the Saints offense is better than the Lions offense, while the Lions D is better than the Saints D. Thats different than saying one or the other is THE problem. I will say the offense though has a larger glaring deficiency than the defense does. There is ZERO run game with aging offensive lineman that have no apparent replacements along the way and the 3 best runners are either injury prone (K Smith) or recovering from serious injuries (LeShoure, Best). A 4th WR couldnt hurt though many might count Scheffler as the No 4 WR since Pettigrew is usually on the field with him too. The offense has room to improve, their is no question about that. I dont care about how nicely they moved the ball on the first drive of the Saints game bc the Saints adjusted and were able to slow down our predictable attack - namely they know where Stafford is going to be sitting and dont have to worry about anyone possibly running it.

Quote:

The 49ers defense is much better than the Lions - there is no doubt about that in my mind but in one offseason to get near that level of talent would require a complete overhaul. Their DL collectively is better, their LB crew is better, there DBs are all better than the Lions' but an offensive attack like the Saints still has a big advantage over the 49ers defense and can pop 32 points and 500+ yards despite 5 turnovers. The point is - the Lions could improve the defense quite a bit w a DREAM offseason - draft Burfict rd 1 start him over Levy, re sign Avril, watch Barron fall into Rd 2 and start him over Spievey or Delmas take ur pick and re sign Wright along w another No 2 type so that A Smith never sees the field. Even with all that - we re still not as good as the 49ers defense and if we had to play the Saints again with that group on the road in the playoffs then there s still a good shot that Brees and crew will outscore us unless we can further develop our run game and add another dimension to our offense so it cant be so easily adjusted to. The Lions offense has more to gain with upgrades than the defense does mainly because no defense can be dominant against the dominant offenses but also bc the Lions offense is mostly one dimensional.

January 17th, 2012, 6:56 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The only problem is... There is no Patrick Willis in this draft or free agency. That guy is a beast.

That said, I disagree with you a bit M2. Jimmy Grahm is a really good TE (I can't even express how pissed I am that we drafted Pett in the first when I see TEs like Gronkowski, Henderson, Gram, and even Grisham outplaying him in the receiving game), but IMO the Saints have enough offensive talent that they could go 5 wide and accomplish the same end without Grahm. I think they were just as unstoppable with Jeremy Shockey, and they rarely used him.

Still, IMO the Lions D played well enough to win in the first 1/2 of play, and if we could have put up two more TDs in the first 1/2 off of the two Saint's turnovers, and controlled the game with a decent running attack, it would have been a completely different game. Meaning, if our offense would have played better, we would have likely won.

So, what you are saying is that the defense couldn't have played any better? You point out two "if" situations for the offense, but there are many more for the defensive side in that game, and in the Green Bay game as well.

I agree, there is room for improvement for this offense, no doubt about it. But we just had our QB throw for the fourth most yards in NFL history, and our ground game did get us 1500 yards on the season. Sorry....but I see much more room for improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

As for Patrick Willis....he's been on the 49ers for a few years now, and their defense has NEVER been this good with him there. Their defense improved around him, not because of him.

January 18th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Also what has happened to the Saints the last two seasons when they got to the playoffs? How about GB and the difference in the defense last year compared to this season and look what happened against the Giants. Where are Brady's Lombardi trophies since that dominate defense has dissolved? Yes, teams need to score points but it's the teams that can stop or at least slow down these offenses that win at the end of the day.

January 18th, 2012, 5:10 pm
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

So, what you are saying is that the defense couldn't have played any better? You point out two "if" situations for the offense, but there are many more for the defensive side in that game, and in the Green Bay game as well.

I agree, there is room for improvement for this offense, no doubt about it. But we just had our QB throw for the fourth most yards in NFL history, and our ground game did get us 1500 yards on the season. Sorry....but I see much more room for improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

As for Patrick Willis....he's been on the 49ers for a few years now, and their defense has NEVER been this good with him there. Their defense improved around him, not because of him.

M2, sure, the D could have performed better with better personnel, but we're not one or two players away from totally fixing our defense, and our defense doesn't have one major glaring need like our offense does. Our offense has no ground game at all. The ONLY team left without a ground game is the Pats, and they're ridiculous on offense, running the same system for 10 years with the same Qb. Our passing game isn't going to be able to compensate for having zero ground game like the Pats any time soon. We HAVE to fix that aspect of the offense. We HAVE to be able to pick up 3rd and shorts at will, like all of the other teams left. We HAVE to be able to move the ball effectively and control the clock. We HAVE to fix our offense to take the next step. I totally agree with legend on upgrading the O over the D. I did last year as well. Recall me saying last year that we should "totally" fix one side of the ball, and I contend that we would have been a better team this year had we done that. I would have preferred Mike Pouncey over Fairly, and had we plugged him in at OG this season I think it would have made a huge difference in our OL. Instead we draft yet another DT that saw minimal playing time, and will always see minimal playing time because he has three DTs in front of him. Further, even if he over takes the other two he won't be a huge upgrade. Put Pouncey on the OL and SLH on the DL and we have a better team with the OL patchwork fix. I don't see how you can argue against that.

I don't disagree that P Willis didn't single-handedly fix the D, but he is the best player on their D at any position. The guy is a beast. We would need to upgrade two LBs and all of our DBs to match SFs D. That isn't going to happen. We can be another mediocre team with a slightly better D next year, or we can be a team with a great offense and a slightly improved D next season. IMO the former takes us further.

January 18th, 2012, 6:18 pm
League MVP

Quote:
from the freep, today 1/18/2012 by dave birkett

Lions GM Martin Mayhew: 'We really became one-dimensional down the stretch'

If Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure were healthy, would the Detroit Lions have made it to the second round of the NFC playoffs?

That question was posed to Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew in a http://www.2livestews.com/" target="_blank">rare radio interview on "The 2 Live Stews" show with former Lion Ryan Stewart on 790-AM in Atlanta today. And while Mayhew didn’t answer directly, he said having a pair of healthy running backs “certainly would have transformed our offense.”

Best missed the final 10 games of the season with concussion problems, while Leshoure sat out the entire season after tearing an Achilles tendon in training camp.

“We really became one-dimensional down the stretch,” Mayhew said. “It was a good dimension. Against Green Bay, we moved the ball up and down the field, and we also did a good job in the playoff game. But just having a run game and having solid players you can go to who can run the ball -- Kevin Smith came in and performed well for us, but Jahvid Best, we feel, is a very special player. Mikel Leshoure, we think, showed he was a special player during training camp.

“Those guys would have upgraded our offense tremendously.”

Here are some more highlights from Mayhew’s radio appearance:

• On quarterback Matthew Stafford’s breakout season: “I think Matthew has stepped into the upper echelon of one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL. I think he showed that down the stretch. To play Oakland and to be down, have to drive 90-something yards to win it, he made those plays. To go touchdown for touchdown with the Packers, we just ran out of time in that game, and to play the way he played on the road against the Saints in the playoff game, he’s an outstanding player. Nobody in this building ever doubted his abilities or his ability to stay healthy. It was a situation where he had some unfortunate injuries the first couple of seasons. … We just felt like it was kind of a fluke thing in 2010, and we were very confident he’d be able to come back and have a solid season for us this year.”

• On what was wrong with the Lions when he took over as GM: “If you’re around this game long enough, I think you learn that there’s a culture to winning, and there’s a culture to losing. We had been losing so many games that we had that losing culture. And that was the first thing that needed to change. Obviously, our talent level wasn’t what it needed to be. I was a part of the team in Tampa when that thing turned around -- I was with Coach (Tony) Dungy for one year in 1996 -- and a lot of the things that were wrong with Tampa at that time were the same problems we had. The losing culture and the talent level. Coach Dungy came in in ’96 and immediately changed the culture. Jim Schwartz did the same thing here. Talent level got better here; it got better in Tampa. Tampa took off, and we’re hopeful that this year, being 10-6 and being a wild-card team, is the start of our organization taking off, too.”

• On defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch: “I’ll tell you the one guy that kind of goes unnoticed at times who’s really a catalyst for a lot of change on our football team is also one of our defensive linemen, Kyle Vanden Bosch. And Kyle’s leadership, his energy, the way he carries himself with the football team, Kyle’s a winner.”

• On why he picked Schwartz as head coach in 2009: “We talked to a lot of people, and I had been here for several years and through several coaching searches, so I’ve probably sat in on 20-plus coaching interviews. Jim was one of the most impressive guys that we ever met with. One, he had tremendous wealth of experience as a defensive football coach, starting off as a quality-control guy, becoming a linebackers coach, becoming a coordinator, working with Jeff Fisher for a long time. Prior to that, he had experience in personnel, working with Bill Belichick. So he had a lot of experience in the NFL but yet he was still a relatively young guy. He had great energy, very positive energy, a wealth of positive experience. He had been through a lot.”

m2k hope u learned something bud

catch you later

January 18th, 2012, 8:30 pm
I just wish that Mayhew would realize that it is our OL not our RBs that is our problem with moving the ball on the ground. Even when Best is healthy and he can occasionally put up 100 yard plus games, we generally don't move the ball well on the ground. To have a good ground game you have to be consistent, and you have to be able to move the ball when you need to. We haven't been able to do that since James Stewart was in our backfield. We absolutely need an OG that can step in and replace Peterman for this season, and hopefully take over for Dom the following year. We need more beef and strength at the C and LG spot for our interior OL to be successful.

January 19th, 2012, 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next