View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 9:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks?
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I hear people call in to Sirius NFL Radio and claim that the Lions should franchise tag Avril.

That usually makes me throw up in my mouth a little. If we have to use any tag on him, it should be the HIGH TENDER NOT the FRANCHISE TAG.

The High tender guarantees Avril the average of the top 10 DE salaries from the last 5 years and Guarantees the Lions a 1st round draft pick if someone should sign him and the Lions don't match the offer.

We either keep him on the tender, or, we get a 1st round draft pick for him so we can replace him with that pick or our own 1st round pick. And we would likely get a comp pick also next year.

Aren't tenders only for restricted free agents?

YEP. And until you have 6 years in the league, you are a restricted in FA. Avril has only 4 years in.

February 17th, 2012, 9:55 pm
QB Coach

BillySims wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I hear people call in to Sirius NFL Radio and claim that the Lions should franchise tag Avril.

That usually makes me throw up in my mouth a little. If we have to use any tag on him, it should be the HIGH TENDER NOT the FRANCHISE TAG.

The High tender guarantees Avril the average of the top 10 DE salaries from the last 5 years and Guarantees the Lions a 1st round draft pick if someone should sign him and the Lions don't match the offer.

We either keep him on the tender, or, we get a 1st round draft pick for him so we can replace him with that pick or our own 1st round pick. And we would likely get a comp pick also next year.

YEP. And until you have 6 years in the league, you are a restricted in FA. Avril has only 4 years in.

That was when the CBA expired. With the new deal, things went back to normal so a player is only restricted if they have 3 years or less.

February 17th, 2012, 10:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
BillySims wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
BillySims wrote:

That was when the CBA expired. With the new deal, things went back to normal so a player is only restricted if they have 3 years or less.

Yep. I was just trying to post my retraction when my time on the McDonald's internet was up and I had to sign back in. LOL. But, I was in the process of posting this:

I was wrong. It must have changed with the new CBA. You are unrestricted if your contract expires and you have at least 4 years in the NFL now.

We can still throw the transition tag on him instead of the high dollar franchise tag.

February 17th, 2012, 10:05 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'm starting to think that Avril is a goner. His comments that he won't give a hometown discount and wanting to make as much as possible, leads me to believe that the Lions will move on. I don't begrudge him that opportunity, but the Lions will probably be able to re-sign Backus, Tulloch, and Shaun Hill for what Avril wants, so screw him.

February 18th, 2012, 2:42 am
Team MVP

slybri19 wrote:
I'm starting to think that Avril is a goner. His comments that he won't give a hometown discount and wanting to make as much as possible, leads me to believe that the Lions will move on. I don't begrudge him that opportunity, but the Lions will probably be able to re-sign Backus, Tulloch, and Shaun Hill for what Avril wants, so screw him.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard about the hometown discount. Let him go.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 18th, 2012, 2:48 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

kdsberman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing when I heard about the hometown discount. Let him go.

And now he stated that if he gets tagged he may hold out of training camp. I hope the Lions move on from this guy, I understand he wants to make the most money he possibly can but he just can't shut his big mouth. I wish him well (unless he ends up with the Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Bears, Vikings or Jets) he won't be nearly as effective when he's the one getting double teamed but he will have a killer bank account so I'm sure he will be fine either way.

February 18th, 2012, 1:27 pm
Team MVP

Taug107 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

And now he stated that if he gets tagged he may hold out of training camp. I hope the Lions move on from this guy, I understand he wants to make the most money he possibly can but he just can't shut his big mouth. I wish him well (unless he ends up with the Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Bears, Vikings or Jets) he won't be nearly as effective when he's the one getting double teamed but he will have a killer bank account so I'm sure he will be fine either way.

Agree. Again, let him go. Thats one thing that irritates the crap out of me is guys that want to see how much money they can get rather than staying with the team that drafted them. I guess maybe its different in their shoes, but come on.

GOOD RIDDANCE.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

February 18th, 2012, 2:25 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

He seems to me like a classic case of someone who succeeds because of the cast around him and then goes on to mediocrity after signing a big FA contract. I don't expect Cliff to turn down the big bucks, but I think the are other considerations besides just the paycheck. Look at what happened to Housh after he left the Bengals--got the big paycheck, but his career went down the tubes and he ended up saying he regretted leaving. Staying with the Lions isn't only about 'hometown discounts'--it's also about staying where you've had success.

February 18th, 2012, 2:50 pm

He wants to be paid like Peppers, Allen, Ware etc. but he's only had one real good year. Let some other sucker break the bank for this guy. How Mayhew handles this will say a lot about what blueprint he's using to build this team for the future. The Giants and Patriots would let this guy walk and let someone else overpay, if he's using the blueprint model of success of those teams he will do the same.

February 18th, 2012, 4:13 pm
Team MVP

Taug107 wrote:
He wants to be paid like Peppers, Allen, Ware etc. but he's only had one real good year. Let some other sucker break the bank for this guy. How Mayhew handles this will say a lot about what blueprint he's using to build this team for the future. The Giants and Patriots would let this guy walk and let someone else overpay, if he's using the blueprint model of success of those teams he will do the same.

Agree. He had 11 sacks, his best ever. That isnt bad at all, but we aint talkin Jared Allen numbers, and he wants to get paid like him. Let him walk, and put in Young and see what he can do.

February 18th, 2012, 4:15 pm

kdsberman wrote:
Taug107 wrote:

Agree. He had 11 sacks, his best ever. That isnt bad at all, but we aint talkin Jared Allen numbers, and he wants to get paid like him. Let him walk, and put in Young and see what he can do.

Young and Lojack could both have success with more playing time and would be a lot cheaper. Upgrade positions like the secondary the LB'er corp and the OL with the money saved.

February 18th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I see Mario Williams could become a Free agent...

I'm just enjoying that fact that we are maybe this 1 offseason away from shocking the world. But as far as Avril, I think we should just set a price tag on him and if he wants $1 more, let him walk. He's not even one of Mayhews picks, I would'nt fear going against him, and as good as he is, I'm sure the current FO could do better.

February 18th, 2012, 4:45 pm
QB Coach

I just wish they had gotten a long term deal worked out last season. Avril's demands likely would have been lower and they could have played with the numbers to have the bigger salaries start when the cap gets bigger.

Does anyone think we'll franchise Avril and then trade him? Could we get a 1st for him?

February 18th, 2012, 7:20 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Killwill25 wrote:
I see Mario Williams could become a Free agent...

I'm just enjoying that fact that we are maybe this 1 offseason away from shocking the world. But as far as Avril, I think we should just set a price tag on him and if he wants $1 more, let him walk. He's not even one of Mayhews picks, I would'nt fear going against him, and as good as he is, I'm sure the current FO could do better.

Well, apparently we can match him up against Culbreath. LOL.

February 18th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Hall of Fame Player

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I just wish they had gotten a long term deal worked out last season. Avril's demands likely would have been lower and they could have played with the numbers to have the bigger salaries start when the cap gets bigger.

Does anyone think we'll franchise Avril and then trade him? Could we get a 1st for him?

They really couldn't sign him long term last year. The CBA wasn't in place and they had no idea what it was going to look like.

I think we can get a 2nd rounder this year and maybe another conditional pick next year.

February 18th, 2012, 10:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next