View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks? 
QB Coach

Post Re: Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks?
"He said they told him they'd take care of him and since they didn't obviously they get to do whatever they want." That line comes from what Cliff himself said not my opinion. If those contract details are correct then yeah he was being taken care of. I suggested signing him to a longer contract last off-season when we just had him on the restricted free agent tender in part because we had a few contract coming up and he had gotten better each year. I brought it up again this year and was rebuffed.

By the same token that we agree the Lions shouldn't budge and it's a business and all that, its a business for Cliff too. The recent DE contracts have been huge and as much as I hate it, both he and his agent had to try for something in that ballpark. Calais Campbell and Charles Johnson both got huge contracts before last season and he performed better than both of them this year. I think 10M a year for three years with the chance to be a FA again at 29 was more than fair and he should have taken it.

I too am glad they didn't budge, but if he has another big year he's going to want even more. An extra million or two now would have been better to me than an extra 5 next year. By the same token if he has a worse year yes his price won't go up but I doubt he'll take much less than we offered now.

July 18th, 2012, 11:25 pm
Towel Boy

i am new here.. long time reader ....this really gets me .....us as lions fans are shelling out money that we have scrimped and saved to get a ticket to see a lions game.I would like to get that kind of offer at my job to stay there .He (Avril) should think about how gifted he is and how hard it is in mich just to get a job. Also some of us cannot shell out the money to go to a game.20 mill garenteed id kill to have that much money for my family.

July 19th, 2012, 1:18 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

LioneeR wrote:
I don't understand what the point would be of holding out of training camp now. Right now his options are to A) sign the tender, finish the year, and hope for the best next offseason or B) Don't sign the tender and sit out the season.

I believe in option B he would be a FA next year(eligible for Franchise Tag again) but no NFL player is dumb enough to lose a year of salary of a career that could really end on any play.

Cliff, you held out for too much money and the Lions didn't budge. Sign your tender and get to camp.

I have no hard feeling toward Cliff for the stuff he has missed up to this point as he tried to create leverage for negotiations, but that is now over.

July 19th, 2012, 2:57 am
Profile ICQ WWW
3rd Round Selection

Lioneer - I assume a camp hold out would be purely because of the risk of injury.

Given there's no ability (as a result of CBA rules) for Cliff or the Lions to come to a long term deal until after the season, he gains no leverage in contract negotiations by holding out.

So for Cliff its a case of weighing up:
(a) the risk of injury in camp (and resultant reduction in value with the Lions and other teams for his next contract if the injury sees him miss significant time); vs
(b) the reward of potentially a better season if he attends camp (and resultant increase in value with the Lions and other teams for his next contract).

July 19th, 2012, 4:15 am

Lions definitely leaked that number--not sure how accurate it is or if it was the final offer. It's basic PR--get it out there (for your other players and the media, mostly) that you're not cheap.

July 19th, 2012, 10:08 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Lions definitely leaked that number--not sure how accurate it is or if it was the final offer. It's basic PR--get it out there (for your other players and the media, mostly) that you're not cheap.

Neither Avril nor his agent has disputed the numbers. If the Lions were leaking false information, I'm sure they would be saying that the reports were untrue. Therefore, I have to think they are fairly accurate.

July 19th, 2012, 10:29 am
All State

Just let him walk after this year. 3 years and $30 mil with $20 mil guaranteed is more then fair IMO.

I don't even see the advantage he has by holding out at this point, they can't even sign him to a long term deal until after the season right?

I understand the injury risk part, but sign the damn tender and get on the field and you won't have that problem. If he comes in right before week 1 and not conditioned to start the season and injures himself early on, then he just shot himself in the foot.

I still think his stats reflect the talent of the rest of the DL surrounding him more then his own development. Take away the rest of the DL and on a team with an average DL he's a 6-8 sack DE.

I'd rather give LoJack and Willie Young more playing time and plan on drafting a DE next year, even if it's a high round pick.

July 19th, 2012, 10:39 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

First, this is not a "holdout." Avril is not under contract and is not required to attend training camp.

Second, I really don't understand why Avril's (possible) absence from camp is causing such a stir. If he's not working out sufficiently on his own, he can forget about that $11M/year contract he thinks he's getting in 2013 because his production will likely decline. Also, if he gets hurt while working out on his own, the Lions don't have to pay him a dime.

July 19th, 2012, 11:01 am

DisgruntledFan wrote:
Just let him walk after this year. 3 years and $30 mil with $20 mil guaranteed is more then fair IMO.

I don't even see the advantage he has by holding out at this point, they can't even sign him to a long term deal until after the season right?

I understand the injury risk part, but sign the damn tender and get on the field and you won't have that problem. If he comes in right before week 1 and not conditioned to start the season and injures himself early on, then he just shot himself in the foot.

I still think his stats reflect the talent of the rest of the DL surrounding him more then his own development. Take away the rest of the DL and on a team with an average DL he's a 6-8 sack DE.

I'd rather give LoJack and Willie Young more playing time and plan on drafting a DE next year, even if it's a high round pick.

Definitely agree with the gist of your argument. Now that it's a foregone conclusion he'll be playing on the franchise tender, sign it and get out on the field. It seems to me like there's a bigger long-term injury risk if he doesn't attend training camp and goes into the season out of 'football shape.'

July 19th, 2012, 11:40 am
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
First, this is not a "holdout." Avril is not under contract and is not required to attend training camp.

Second, I really don't understand why Avril's (possible) absence from camp is causing such a stir. If he's not working out sufficiently on his own, he can forget about that $11M/year contract he thinks he's getting in 2013 because his production will likely decline. Also, if he gets hurt while working out on his own, the Lions don't have to pay him a dime.

You're right, he's not under contract....and that's his own doing. That's why people are bothered by it. His absence from camp is a childish move, a stupid ploy. As you said, if he injures himself now he just allowed $10.6M to go up in smoke. Training camp is training for the season.

Exactly why I said I hope he injures himself walking into the offices in Allen Park to sign the tender. It would serve him right. The Lions made a fair and reasonable offer. It was about all they could afford to do. He's a tool for turning it down. Hence the venom fans are spitting at him and his agent.

July 19th, 2012, 1:05 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

m2karateman wrote:
mwill2 wrote:

You're right, he's not under contract....and that's his own doing. That's why people are bothered by it. His absence from camp is a childish move, a stupid ploy. As you said, if he injures himself now he just allowed $10.6M to go up in smoke. Training camp is training for the season.

Exactly why I said I hope he injures himself walking into the offices in Allen Park to sign the tender. It would serve him right. The Lions made a fair and reasonable offer. It was about all they could afford to do. He's a tool for turning it down. Hence the venom fans are spitting at him and his agent.

You've demonstrated my point brilliantly. Folks are actually wishing injury upon him. This kind of vitriolic spite baffles me.

July 19th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Quote:
i hope he injures himself

what horrible thing to say.

July 19th, 2012, 3:12 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
Quote:

So be it. In a town suffering from an epidemic of unemployment, politicians with an entitlement attitude who have been basically stealing from the taxpayer coffers, and a host of other socio-economic issuse, Cliff Avril saw himself as being worth far more than he is. He thumbed his nose at the Lions, a team the town chose to embrace last season. That's an act that was destined to not go over well. And it hasn't.

I am not saying I want him to suffer a career ending injury. But if he doesn't sign his tender and gets hurt, the Lions could pull that offer and leave him without anything for this season. THAT would serve him right for listening to that pile of &#$ he calls an agent.

I'm sorry, but I feel absolutely no pity for someone who turns down a guaranteed $20M, and all he has to do is sign his name. It wasn't a lowball offer, and it certainly wasn't an insult to him. His refusal to accept the deal, and his statements saying he may not report to camp, ARE an insult.

July 19th, 2012, 3:21 pm
Killwill25 wrote:
Quote:

Having an attitude that you're "too good" for $30 million dollars for three years of your employment is a horrible attitude to have. It's not horrific to wish horrible things on horrible people.

July 19th, 2012, 3:24 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Quote:

Having an attitude that you're "too good" for $30 million dollars for three years of your employment is a horrible attitude to have. It's not horrific to wish horrible things on horrible people.
Actually, yes it is. What ever happened to the Golden Rule?

July 19th, 2012, 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next