View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 7:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
 Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks? 
Team MVP

Post Re: Avril's Contract: Within 2 weeks?
BillySims wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I just wish they had gotten a long term deal worked out last season. Avril's demands likely would have been lower and they could have played with the numbers to have the bigger salaries start when the cap gets bigger.

Does anyone think we'll franchise Avril and then trade him? Could we get a 1st for him?

They really couldn't sign him long term last year. The CBA wasn't in place and they had no idea what it was going to look like.

I think we can get a 2nd rounder this year and maybe another conditional pick next year.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd take a 2nd rounder for him in a heartbeat.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

Last edited by kdsberman on February 20th, 2012, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2012, 12:39 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I'd take a 2nd founder for him in a heartbeat

ABSOLUTELY

February 20th, 2012, 3:41 am
Avril implied that he's going to sit out training camp if we tag him. Screw him... Tag him and trade him. We don't have anyone else to use the tag on. I'd take a 2nd rounder for him in a heartbeat. Use that pick to move back up into the first and get our OG/C and DE, pick up two starters, and call it a draft with the rest of the rounds being gravy.

February 20th, 2012, 11:09 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Avril has one decent, injury free, season, and expects a fat contract. Give me a break! This guy must think he is irreplaceable. Between Lojack, Young, Chinasa, and a draft pick, think we wouldn't miss his absence.

February 20th, 2012, 11:54 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
Avril has one decent, injury free, season, and expects a fat contract. Give me a break! This guy must think he is irreplaceable. Between Lojack, Young, Chinasa, and a draft pick, think we wouldn't miss his absence.

Is this your first year watching the NFL? It happens all the time.

And just remember something (I'm not defending Avril, just pointing this out), if someone (like an agent) was whispering in your ear that you could get more money at your job after you had a pretty good year, you'd probably perk up and listen to them, and let them try to follow through with it. If that agent told you the way to ensure getting that money was to sit out of that job for a while, you may continue to listen.

Basically, Avril stating he will sit out training camp is more the work of his agent than Avril. Simply because he's making that statement now doesn't mean he actually will do it. Other players have made the same threat, only to wake up and understand they aren't truly helping their cause.

February 20th, 2012, 1:05 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
2. The franchise period opens today, and the Lions and Cliff Avril are on the clock. Avril doesn't like it, but he's not going anywhere, and I doubt he'll get the long-term deal he wants. The Lions have $11.7 million to spare under the cap. Avril's franchise number would be $10.6 million. Now, they don't want Avril on the books for that much in 2012. They'd rather do a long-term contract with a much lower cap number this year, so they can address other needs. But they know they can franchise him if they have to.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z1mwZKDb5o

From MMQB. Where did he get that we have 11.7 million to spend? From everything I've been hearing, we're over the cap by 2M.

February 20th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

And just remember something (I'm not defending Avril, just pointing this out), if someone (like an agent) was whispering in your ear that you could get more money at your job after you had a pretty good year, you'd probably perk up and listen to them, and let them try to follow through with it. If that agent told you the way to ensure getting that money was to sit out of that job for a while, you may continue to listen.

Basically, Avril stating he will sit out training camp is more the work of his agent than Avril. Simply because he's making that statement now doesn't mean he actually will do it. Other players have made the same threat, only to wake up and understand they aren't truly helping their cause.

Very true--it's the same reason you see the Lions 'leaking' stories about franchising Avril to the press. Both sides are trying to use the leverage they have.

February 20th, 2012, 1:22 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Very true--it's the same reason you see the Lions 'leaking' stories about franchising Avril to the press. Both sides are trying to use the leverage they have.

People tend to forget, football is a team SPORT, but not a team BUSINESS. It's a "me first" business in every sense of the word. The teams want more from the individual players, and the players want more for themselves from the league as a union entity, as well as from their respective teams on an individual basis.

I laugh when I hear players talking about they only want to win, they don't care about the money. Right. Ask them to play this sport for the same salary paid to a teacher, a firefighter or even a low-level manager at one of the auto companies and they'll scoff at you. Better yet, tell a player we'll guarantee your team wins a super bowl, if you take a tremendous pay cut. I think you'd find 99% of them want the money.

February 20th, 2012, 1:34 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Guess I did a poor job of conveying my opinion. But seeing as this is my "first year watching the NFL" please make allowances. i believe, Avril's big year is a product of the system and the other talent on the D-line. Prior to last season I felt he did nothing to distinguish himself as a starting DE. I do understand the game they play, agents and management. Just think it's ridiculous he is portrayed as our top FA.

February 20th, 2012, 2:49 pm
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

People tend to forget, football is a team SPORT, but not a team BUSINESS. It's a "me first" business in every sense of the word. The teams want more from the individual players, and the players want more for themselves from the league as a union entity, as well as from their respective teams on an individual basis.

I laugh when I hear players talking about they only want to win, they don't care about the money. Right. Ask them to play this sport for the same salary paid to a teacher, a firefighter or even a low-level manager at one of the auto companies and they'll scoff at you. Better yet, tell a player we'll guarantee your team wins a super bowl, if you take a tremendous pay cut. I think you'd find 99% of them want the money.

It is rare that a player will take a pay cut to win a SB or sign someone else, but it does happen. I do believe that some of these guys would play for free if they had to, but admittedly, some are in it for the cash alone. Jerry Rice took noteable paycuts, as did a couple of others throughout the years.

That said, why should the owners get everything? If the players made $50-100k per year the owners profits would go through the roof. I don't think they're "over-paid" per se, especially given the extreme short-term duration of their careers. I realize that $5million plus is more than most people make in a lifetime, but there are plenty of players in the NFL that never make more than $5-600k per year, for just a few years.

I understand that all of this is "posturing" on both sides, I just think it was a move done in poor taste on Avril's part, even if his agent told him to do it, and I think it edges him that much further out of the door. At this point I'm actually hoping we tag him and trade him for a 2nd round pick, move up and take a starting caliber OG and DE and call it done. We'll be saving money and potentially upgrading two positions, especially down the road.

February 20th, 2012, 2:54 pm
Hall of Fame Player

liontrax wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
liontrax wrote:

Guess I did a poor job of conveying my opinion. But seeing as this is my "first year watching the NFL" please make allowances. i believe, Avril's big year is a product of the system and the other talent on the D-line. Prior to last season I felt he did nothing to distinguish himself as a starting DE. I do understand the game they play, agents and management. Just think it's ridiculous he is portrayed as our top FA.

If this is your 1st year watching the NFL, then how in the heck do you know what Avril did last year? FYI, Avril has progressed every year since we drafted him. Yes, He was progressing exactly as a young defensive lineman should even before we got Suh. Please watch the game before spouting opinions about it.

February 21st, 2012, 12:17 am
RIP Killer

That was sarcastic as a result of m2ks comment, hence the quotes around the phrase

February 21st, 2012, 12:52 am
RIP Killer

here's a thought - slap him with the tag and trade him to Green Bay for AJ Hawk.

February 21st, 2012, 10:08 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:

I was just joking around with you. Sorry if you took offense.

As for Avril being portrayed as our top FA, I think that is actually pretty accurate. What other free agent of ours has as much market value? Not Backus or Tulloch. While there are certainly other teams who are likely to sign Backus or Tulloch, neither of them will draw as much interest from other teams as Avril. Avril is still young and has performed well for TWO seasons now. I agree that he is every bit the product of the Lions getting better talent on the interior of the line, but he still has to beat the man across from him and get to the passer before the ball leaves his hands. As a run stopper Avril is below average, but that too is a product of the system. The Wide 9 technique pretty much removes him and KVB from being significant against the run unless it's an attempted sweep, or unless they can chase the guy down from behind because the guys on the other side of the line string the play out. That doesn't happen all that often.

Like him or not, 11.5 sacks is a pretty solid number for a DE to get in a year. He's gotten better each season so far. Believe me, if the Lions end up doing a tag and trade, they will likely get a number of teams interested in getting him, and the Lions will get a first round pick out of the deal. Teams like the Jets, Packers or Patriots will definitely be interested in possibly making him a 34 OLB. Cleveland and Tennessee, I believe, would be willing to part with their first round picks (the Browns 22nd pick, not the 4th) to get him. As a matter of fact, Tennessee is so hard up for pass rushers, I think the Lions could get multiple picks from them in return for Avril.

February 21st, 2012, 10:30 am
Player of the Year - Defense

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Quote:
2. The franchise period opens today, and the Lions and Cliff Avril are on the clock. Avril doesn't like it, but he's not going anywhere, and I doubt he'll get the long-term deal he wants. The Lions have $11.7 million to spare under the cap. Avril's franchise number would be $10.6 million. Now, they don't want Avril on the books for that much in 2012. They'd rather do a long-term contract with a much lower cap number this year, so they can address other needs. But they know they can franchise him if they have to.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... z1mwZKDb5o

From MMQB. Where did he get that we have 11.7 million to spend? From everything I've been hearing, we're over the cap by 2M.

11.7 is the right figure. We have 46 players under contract for 108.3 mill. Getting to 53 is where people speculate the 122 comes in since that includes Wright, Avril, Tulloch, Gos and Levy. They can still rework some contracts to free up some money, so its possible we'd have more. They'll probably borrow 1.5mil from a future season, and we get 1.5 leftover from last season, so our number is a little higher actually.

February 21st, 2012, 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next