View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 2:53 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Cortland Finnegan 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Cortland Finnegan
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I wish we could land Porter or Ross, get Tulloch re-signed, and get Avril traded...

Just curious. Did Cliff Avril Rape your wife and molest your children or something? ...

Really!? You think that's funny!?

It's not! It's immature and moronic.

March 20th, 2012, 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I would like to see the Lions sign Finnegan. But, I don't think it will happen. The Rams have more cap space than the Lions. And Jeff Fisher is gonna want a familiar face to set the tone for the Rams new defense. Just like Schwartz did with KVB.

I called this one back on Feb 17. It was just soooooooo obvious.

Nice job Billy... Those Tenn boys sure seem to stick together.

I wish we could land Porter or Ross, get Tulloch re-signed, and get Avril traded...

Just curious. Did Cliff Avril Rape your wife and molest your children or something? You are hell bent to get him a bus ticket out of town.

the dude gave you such a respectful response and complimented you.... Seriously, I love Avril and I hope he stays but I don't think trading him for what he's worth(And Mayhew WOULD get his worth) is that crazy of an idea.

March 21st, 2012, 1:35 am

Quote:
You cannot say that a rookie is going to give you 10+ sacks. The History of rookie D-linemen belies your claim. Maybe 1 out of every hundred rookie D-linemen will get you 10+ sacks

Yet we found him

March 21st, 2012, 1:37 am

Killwill25 wrote:
Quote:
You cannot say that a rookie is going to give you 10+ sacks. The History of rookie D-linemen belies your claim. Maybe 1 out of every hundred rookie D-linemen will get you 10+ sacks

Yet we found him

Right, and his name is Suh, which has nothing to do with this Conversation other than adding emphasis to the whole "Our Great DTs make our Average DEs look good" point many are making.

March 21st, 2012, 2:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I would like to see the Lions sign Finnegan. But, I don't think it will happen. The Rams have more cap space than the Lions. And Jeff Fisher is gonna want a familiar face to set the tone for the Rams new defense. Just like Schwartz did with KVB.

Just curious. Did Cliff Avril Rape your wife and molest your children or something? You are hell bent to get him a bus ticket out of town.

Yes, he will make a lot of cash on the Franchise tag. But, just because the Lions tagged him does not mean that they can't continue to work on a long term deal that is cap friendly for the next 2 years.

And if a 2nd round rookie can produce 11.5 sacks, then why couldn't KVB? He is far better than anything your going to find in the 2nd round.

Simple fact is that Avril is the guy that got 11.5 sacks by his effort. He still had to beat his guy(s) and the QB's didn't give any Favre gift wrapped sacks to him. I don't care what you argue back with. You cannot say that a rookie is going to give you 10+ sacks. The History of rookie D-linemen belies your claim. Maybe 1 out of every hundred rookie D-linemen will get you 10+ sacks.

I'm all for paying Avril what he's worth. He won't take it. That's his choice - BYE!!!

We don't need 10+ sacks out of the position. If we get 8 + sacks from a rookie, that's fine. Remember, we have Young, KVB and LoJack too. A DE like Perry or Curry would likely get at least 8 (remember, most teams ask more of their DEs and FEW teams allow their DEs the statistical luxury of rushing the QB every down), and like I said, it would come at less than 1/8th the cost.

My desire to trade Avril is not personal. I don't know why you make out to be that way. I've never indicated anything but positive sentiment toward him or his draft selection, but I'm not willing to over pay anyone. The fact of the matter is that you can't be successful over-paying players, period. My only point is that we can afford MULTIPLE players for what we would ONLY be paying Avril and that paying ONLY Avril that kind of money doesn't benefit the team as much as paying TWO SOLID STARTERS that SAME KIND OF CASH.

Do you get it now? I can't explain it any more simple than that...

March 21st, 2012, 3:32 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yes, he will make a lot of cash on the Franchise tag. But, just because the Lions tagged him does not mean that they can't continue to work on a long term deal that is cap friendly for the next 2 years.

And if a 2nd round rookie can produce 11.5 sacks, then why couldn't KVB? He is far better than anything your going to find in the 2nd round.

Simple fact is that Avril is the guy that got 11.5 sacks by his effort. He still had to beat his guy(s) and the QB's didn't give any Favre gift wrapped sacks to him. I don't care what you argue back with. You cannot say that a rookie is going to give you 10+ sacks. The History of rookie D-linemen belies your claim. Maybe 1 out of every hundred rookie D-linemen will get you 10+ sacks.

I'm all for paying Avril what he's worth. He won't take it. That's his choice - BYE!!!

We don't need 10+ sacks out of the position. If we get 8 + sacks from a rookie, that's fine. Remember, we have Young, KVB and LoJack too. A DE like Perry or Curry would likely get at least 8 (remember, most teams ask more of their DEs and FEW teams allow their DEs the statistical luxury of rushing the QB every down), and like I said, it would come at less than 1/8th the cost.

My desire to trade Avril is not personal. I don't know why you make out to be that way. I've never indicated anything but positive sentiment toward him or his draft selection, but I'm not willing to over pay anyone. The fact of the matter is that you can't be successful over-paying players, period. My only point is that we can afford MULTIPLE players for what we would ONLY be paying Avril and that paying ONLY Avril that kind of money doesn't benefit the team as much as paying TWO SOLID STARTERS that SAME KIND OF CASH.

Well said. Not to mention, lets say you pay Avril all that money and now he gets hurt. Now you have a NON-all-pro, overpaid DE that cant even play anymore. Sure you can say we paid CJ all that money, but hes on a whole different planet than Avril.

Bottom line that i would say most agree with is this - pay him what hes WORTH. If that aint good enough, trade him.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 21st, 2012, 3:47 pm
Modmin Dude

Um, hello...Isn't this thread supposed to be about Cortland Finnegan??? :confused:

March 22nd, 2012, 10:36 am
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:
Um, hello...Isn't this thread supposed to be about Cortland Finnegan??? :confused:

LOL! It's taken on a whole new personality! :?

March 22nd, 2012, 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Team MVP

Whos Cortland Finnegan? :)

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 22nd, 2012, 12:35 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
Well said. Not to mention, lets say you pay Avril all that money and now he gets hurt. Now you have a NON-all-pro, overpaid DE that cant even play anymore. Sure you can say we paid CJ all that money, but hes on a whole different planet than Avril.

Bottom line that i would say most agree with is this - pay him what hes WORTH. If that aint good enough, trade him.

Based upon what the Bills just paid Mark Anderson, it may be that Avril hasn't priced himself out of the market, but just out of Detroit's affordability range. Personally, I don't think he's worth more than $9M per season, at the most. But the contracts given to Anderson and Mario Williams dictate his market value as otherwise. The Lions simply don't have the money to pay that. Even if they were able to afford him this season by structuring the deal to make it cap friendly, in the future it comes back to haunt them.

I just explained in another thread what has to happen:

1. Avril and his agent find an interested team willing to pay him, but that won't give him an official offer sheet

2. Avril lets the Lions know such and such team is interested in a trade

3. Lions and other team negotiate a trade

4. Lions remove franchise tag, trade Avril

5. Avril signs with another team, Lions get draft picks

6. They all live happily ever after

March 22nd, 2012, 12:55 pm
Hall of Fame Player

LionFan57 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Just curious. Did Cliff Avril Rape your wife and molest your children or something? ...

Really!? You think that's funny!?

It's not! It's immature and moronic.

Yes. That line was intended to be a joke. One that has been made a billion times, in one form or another, on this forum. i.e. "So an so must have pictures of William Clay Ford with a midget and a dog".

Get over it.

I was in no way trying to be disrespectful to WJB with the use of that joke. Sorry if you misunderstood my use of it.

March 22nd, 2012, 5:49 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Killwill25 wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:

the dude gave you such a respectful response and complimented you.... Seriously, I love Avril and I hope he stays but I don't think trading him for what he's worth(And Mayhew WOULD get his worth) is that crazy of an idea.

Asa I just replied to LF57, I was joking with that line. I was not intentionally being disrespectful to WJB. I was just trying to get to why he is so vehement in his desire to get Avril traded when the process of working out a long term deal is nowhere near finished. At this point, not 1 single person on this board, knows how Avrils long term contract is going to look. We can only guess. But, everyone seems to be adamant that it's not possible to get him locked up long term on a reasonable contract. All I'm saying is that people need to be patient and let the process work itself out. Avril will come back down to Earth in his demands.

March 22nd, 2012, 5:56 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Killwill25 wrote:
Quote:

Yet we found him

And how many other have found him? Like I said, 1 in a hundred.

March 22nd, 2012, 5:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yeah, I think I do get it. So, if it's good for Avril, why stop there. Apparently, my radical idea isn't quite so radical after all?

So, we should trade Stafford. We could then buy 5 really good players for what we are paying him.
We should trade Suh. We could buy 4 really good players for what we are paying him.
We should trade Calvin. We could buy 5 really good players for what we are paying him.
Not to mention all the draft picks we would get out of all those trades.

March 22nd, 2012, 6:04 pm
Hall of Fame Player

TheRealWags wrote:

Well, since Finnegan is a RAM now, the original intent of the thread is kind of obsolete don't you think?

March 22nd, 2012, 6:06 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next