View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Radical Idea. 

Would you do it?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 95%  95%  [ 20 ]
I don't know 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

Radical Idea. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Radical Idea.
The Lions are being haunted by the ghost of ineptness past. The last decade screwed us, cap wise, and will continue to screw us until all of the players we drafted in the 1st round, prior to last year, are gone.

So, let's see if we can start over while strengthening the team overall. ( Please note that this is just to see the possibilities. It is not necessarily anything that I want to happen.) Some positions will be weaker, obviously, but, most other area will be stronger. The biggest risk will be if we can come up with another franchise QB.

In this exercise, I will trade all our star players for draft picks, both this year and next. I will use Walter football's Mock draft as a base to see who we can get with the picks we receive.

1st the trades:

Mathew Stafford to Washington for their 1st and 2nd round Picks this year and 1st and 3rd next year . The Broncos got Two 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick plus Kyle Orton from the Bears. So, Two 1st's, a 2nd, and a 3rd sounds fair for Stafford. Washington wants a franchise QB. Stafford fits the bill.

Ndamukong Suh to Panthers for their 1st and 4th round picks this year and a conditional 3rd round pick next year that becomes a 2nd round pick if Suh makes the pro bowl.

Calvin Johnson to St Louis for their 1st and 2nd round picks this year and a conditional 3rd round pick next year that becomes a 2nd round pick if Calvin makes the pro bowl. Hey, if we got what we got for Roy Williams, then this is a bargain for Calvin.

Avril. We immediately slap the Franchise tag on him and trade him to the Dolphins for their 1st round pick.
Miami needs a DE. And DE's in the 1st round are one of the riskiest pick you can make. They happily trade their 1st round pick for a known commodity.

That gives us this year ( 9 of the top 86 players this year) :
1st round pick #'s :

4 ( WF has the Rams trading #2 with Cleveland - we'll go with that)
6 from Washington
8 from Miami
9 from Carolina
and 23 our own

2nd round pick #'s:

Pick 33 overall from the Rams
pick 39 overall from Washington
and 54 overall our own

3rd round pick #'s:

pick 86 our own

Next year we would have Washington's 1st and 3rd, Carolina's 2nd or 3rd, and the Rams 2nd or 3rd.

With all the millions we have now wiped off our cap, ( I am guessing we would be around $40Mil under the cap), we sign Matt Flynn QB as a FA. We give him a $20Million roster bonus payable the day after he is added to our roster. We get away from signing bonuses by doing this and we will always have a little less than $40 million every year to use in this manner.

So, here is how the draft could look using Walter football's mock as a base with the changes made via the trades. Of course, I am aware that every trade we made in this exercise would change other teams picks. But, I'm too lazy to worry about their bad luck. LOL.

Quote:

Pick 1: Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
It's now pretty apparent that Peyton Manning won't be back with the Colts next year. That was pretty much obvious for about a month, but it's been confirmed.

We know this pick will Andrew Luck, but the question is where will Manning go, and can he even play? The favorites seem to be Miami, Washington and Arizona, but I have to believe that he'll want to sign with a team that has the cap room to bring on his entire entourage (Jeff Saturday, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and possibly Pierre Garcon and Robert Mathis).

Who would that be exactly? Here are my Off season Quarterback Predictions.

*** OTHER 2012 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: ***

1. None - The Colts will look into Robert Griffin, but when almost every scout says that the other quarterback is best thing since John Elway, you pick the best thing since John Elway.

Pick 2:Cleveland Browns: Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor
TRADE!!! As I initially wrote about a month ago, I've never predicted a trade in my mocks prior to this because deals seldom occurred in the top five. With the new CBA, however, there's a much greater chance that a transaction like this could happen.

I had the Redskins moving up here in a previous update, but I think the Browns are the favorite to do this for three reasons. First, Peyton Manning is more likely to go to Washington than Cleveland. The Browns have no shot at him, but still might need to move up for Griffin so Seattle or Miami doesn't. Second, Cleveland has more ammunition to move up to No. 2 because of its two first-round picks. And third, I think St. Louis would much rather move down to No. 4 than No. 6 because it will still be able to land either Matt Kalil or Justin Blackmon with the fourth pick.

If, however, the Redskins don't land Manning, I think they'll be the favorites to move up to No. 2. Daniel Snyder will do everything in his power to make it happen, and Mike Shanahan and Jeff Fisher are great friends. Besides, Robert Griffin is a perfect fit for Shanahan's bootleg-oriented offense.

Griffin will be the No. 2 pick. He's a top-five consensus prospect, and there are too many teams that have dire quarterback needs. Besides, the Rams have way too many holes on their roster not to trade down.

At any rate. I don't really need to explain why the Browns would want to move up for Griffin. Colt McCoy is a lost cause, so the Brows will select Griffin as their new franchise quarterback. Is Young Griff the prototypical West Coast quarterback? No, but neither was Donovan McNabb, and Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren's pupil, selected him back in 1999.

1. Matt Kalil, OT - It's highly unlikely that the Rams will keep this selection, but if they do, they'll take Matt Kalil. I've seen Blackmon mocked here, but Kalil is the no-brainer pick.

St. Louis has way too much invested in Sam Bradford to have him suffer David Carr syndrome. The offensive line is a mess, as concussion-prone right tackle Jason Smith stinks and left tackle Rodger Saffold is too overmatched to be stationed on the blind side. With general manager Billy Devaney gone, the Rams can part ways with Smith if they wish. He's been an enormous bust.

Also, Kalil is a much better prospect than Blackmon. It's not even close. He's the best left tackle prospect since Joe Thomas, and aside from Andrew Luck, he's the top player in this class.

Pick 3: Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
This really is as much of a no-brainer as Andrew Luck to the Colts. If Matt Kalil is on the board, the Vikings won't spend two minutes handing in their draft card. Of course, I won't be happy about this because I won't have enough time to write stupid things in my live draft blog.

Kalil is the best non-quarterback in this class, and Minnesota has a major need at left tackle, where the pedestrian Charlie Johnson has sucked all year. The Vikings absolutely need to make sure Christian Ponder is well protected.

1. Justin Blackmon, WR - In the event that the Rams can't trade their pick and Matt Kalil is not available, I believe the Vikings would take Justin Blackmon. Of course, they would probably move this selection themselves...

2. Riley Reiff, OT - Thanks to perhaps all of the gamma rays he's been in contact with, the Sun Tan Man slotted Riley Reiff to the Vikings in his recent mock draft, so I suppose I should list this as a possibility. After all, Minnesota might be stupid, and could pass on a superior talent (Blackmon), instead opting to reach for a need.

Pick 4: Detroit Lions via St. Louis via Cleveland:

With the Lions signing Matt Flynn as a FA, they don't have to look for another Franchise QB this year.
Also, with Titus Young, they also don't have to get a WR here. They also still have Cory Williams, Nick Fairley, and SLH. So, they don't have to go DT here either.

Lions Pick: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Pick 5: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU OBVIOUSLY, THIS PICK WOULD BE DIFFERENT
All indications are that the Buccaneers will definitely consider a cornerback in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Aqib Talib could be going to jail, while Ronde Barber will probably retire this offseason. The corner position is a dire need for Tampa.

Morris Claiborne is easily the top talent available, save for Trent Richardson, so this is an easy selection for the Buccaneers.

1. Trent Richardson, RB - It's a close call between Claiborne and Richardson, but the former fills a bigger need. It would not surprise me if the Buccaneers picked the latter, however, considering how completely clueless LeGarrette Blount is in the passing game.

Pick 6: Detroit Lions via Washington:
Washington Redskins would have picked Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa. We will go with that and immediately tell Gosder, " you have 2 choices. Take a 50% pay cut and move to guard or take a 100% pay cut and seek another job.

Pick 7: Jacksonville Jaguars: Kendall Wright, WR/KR, Baylor This pick would likely change to Blackmon
The Jaguars drafted Tyson Alualu, a second-round prospect, at No. 10 overall two years ago. That was a bigger reach than this, so please don't think that this can't happen.

But why Kendall Wright? Well, I think Steven Lourie of Football Fan Spot made a really great argument for this selection:

"SI's Tony Pauline, who actually predicted the Jaguars taking Tyson Alualu 10th in 2010, says that several teams actually have Kendall Wright as their No. 1 receiver ahead of Justin Blackmon. The Jaguars could easily be one of those teams, given how much they value character. They need a receiver, and if they reached for Wright here at No. 7, it wouldn't be the first time they did something shocking."

Gene Smith is taking a homoclitic approach to Blaine Gabbert, so he'll be willing to do everything in his power to make sure his young signal-caller succeeds. That means finding weapons and adding blockers. If Smith can't improve Gabbert's play, the Jaguars will once again be terrible, and he'll likely lose his job. In other words, this pick MUST be an offensive player. Taking someone like Quinton Coples doesn't make sense because Smith would basically be signing his walking papers.

1. Jonathan Martin, OT - Here's another offensive player Jacksonville could pick. The right side of the offensive line didn't hold up for the Jaguars last year because right tackle Guy Whimper is a sieve. He's a free agent anyway, and Jacksonville's only alternative is someone named Cameron Bradfield. Bradfield did a decent job in two starts as a rookie, but was an undrafted free agent in 2011, so he can't exactly be counted on with Smith's job potentially on the line.

2. Quinton Coples, DE - I'm only listing Coples here because he's mocked to the Jaguars in so many other places. However, Coples doesn't seem like the type of player that Smith would want on his team. Coples' effort as a senior was pretty lacking, and Smith is all about securing high-character guys. Besides, Smith needs to use this selection to help his beleaguered quarterback.

Pick change; previously Jonathan Martin, OT

Pick 8: Detroit Lions via Miami:
Walters Football has Miami taking Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina. We'll go with that.

Pick 9: Detroit Lions via Carolina:
Walters Football has the Panthers taking Carolina Panthers: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU. We'll even go with that.
We have now replaced everyone except Calvin.

Pick 10: Buffalo Bills: Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
This is a slight reach, but we've seen the Bills do crazy things on Draft Day before. One thing this front office has been infamous of is telegraphing its picks. Chan Gailey repeatedly mentioned acquiring a running back prior to the 2010 NFL Draft, and sure enough, he picked C.J. Spiller despite having Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson on the roster.

Gailey has recently harped about not being able to get to the quarterback, and it's easy to understand why. No one on the team finished with more than 5.5 sacks on the year.

Melvin Ingram is currently the top pass-rusher available in the wake of dominant Senior Bowl practices. He's a bit short for a 4-3 scheme (6-1) and his arms are like twigs, but he has elite explosion. The Bills are officially sticking with the 4-3, so he makes more sense than Courtney Upshaw.

1. Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB - Upshaw is no longer a good fit for Buffalo's defense, but as forum member Leelee said, "This is the team that drafted Aaron Maybin No. 11 overall."

2. Michael Floyd, WR - The Bills gave Ryan Fitzpatrick a ton of money this past season, so they have to make sure they put him in the best position to succeed. That could mean taking a receiver at this spot.

Pick 11: Kansas City Chiefs: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
Jamaal Charles will be back next year, but the Chiefs have never been convinced that he can carry the load. That's even a more unreasonable expectation in 2012 given that he's coming off a torn ACL.

Trent Richardson is by far the top player available. He would give Kansas City the top one-two punch at running back in the NFL.

For Chief fans who want a tackle or something else over Richardson, let me remind you of Arizona's 2007 NFL Draft (click the link for my re-mock). The Cardinals had a very slight need at running back (as much as Kansas City needs one), and Adrian Peterson was on the board at No. 5. They instead opted to take an inferior talent who filled a much bigger need. Five years later, I'm sure Arizona would rather have Peterson over Levi Brown.

Richardson is the best running back prospect since Peterson. Taking him here is the right move because you don't choose a Levi Brown over an Adrian Peterson.

Pick 12: Seattle Seahawks: Devon Still, DE/DT, Penn State
The Seahawks finished in the bottom 10 in sacks. A lacking pass rush, both on the exterior and interior, is their greatest issue, outside of the quarterback position. Devon Still had a fantastic 2011 campaign and is the top consensus player on the board, so this pick makes a ton of sense.

I'm moving away from mocking a signal-caller after slotting Ryan Tannehill here for the past month. The pick could happen, but I don't think Pete Carroll would consider Tannehill as a safe bet for an upgrade over Tarvaris Jackson.

Pick 13:
Arizona Cardinals: David DeCastro, G, Stanford
The Cardinals will be paying a ton of money to a quarterback next season, whether it's Kevin Kolb or Peyton Manning. Thus, they'll have to make sure their investment is protected.

This is normally really early for a guard, but David DeCastro is the top prospect at the position since Steve Hutchinson. He would be an enormous upgrade for Arizona's pedestrian offensive front.

Pick 14: Dallas Cowboys: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
I've always had reservations about putting Janoris Jenkins in the first round because of his multiple arrests, but he seems to have turned his life around. He hasn't gotten into trouble at North Alabama, and he even recently told the media that he doesn't even hang around people who smoke weed anymore. It seems that as with Phil Taylor, getting kicked out of school served as a wake-up call for Jenkins.

If the Cowboys are content about Jenkins' character, they'll take him at No. 14. Their secondary is an abomination, so multiple upgrades will need to be found this offseason. Jenkins is easily one of the most talented players in this class.

Pick 15: Philadelphia Eagles: Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
I know, I know, Andy Reid doesn't draft linebackers in the first round. But people said the same thing about Jerry Jones and offensive tackles prior to this past April.

Reid will be fired if he doesn't make the playoffs next year. He'll be desperate and may adjust his drafting strategy. Besides, Luke Kuechly is the best player available. He would provide an enormous instant upgrade in the linebacking corps.

If the Eagles sign Stephen Tulloch via free agency, as rumored, I'll switch this selection back to a receiver.

Pick 16: New York Jets: Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama
The Jets need to improve their pass rush so Rex Ryan doesn't have to call blitzes every single down. Rush linebacker Bryan Thomas tore his Achilles tendon earlier in the year, so this position has become even more dire for New York.

Courtney Upshaw, MVP of the alleged national championship, already has experience in the 3-4, so I'm sure Rex Ryan likes that.

Pick 17: Cincinnati Bengals: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
The pot possession charges against Dre Kirkpatrick have been dropped. It's still a bad sign that he's hanging out with losers who put him in a bad position, so there are still character concerns with him. Some teams will still downgrade him on their big board. Some teams, cough, Bengals, sneeze, won't care.

Cornerback is a need for Cincinnati. Nate Clements, who turns 32 in December, has been inconsistent this year. He'll also be a free agent after the 2012 season anyway. Meanwhile, Leon Hall won't be ready to play next year because of his torn Achilles.

Round 1 picks 18 - 32 next page.

Last edited by BillySims on February 19th, 2012, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Radical Idea.
Picks 18 - 32.

Quote:
Pick 18: San Diego Chargers: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
The Chargers need to protect Philip Rivers at all cost, but they're currently not in a position to do so. They reportedly will waive left tackle Marcus McNeill to free up much-needed cap room. Jared Gaither, who stepped in and performed well for McNeill, is a free agent. Right tackle Jeromey Clary sucked as usual last year, but because he has pictures of A.J. Smith "enjoying" himself, he'll likely keep his job again.

Nevertheless, San Diego really needs help at tackle, and Jonathan Martin happens to be the best player available.

Pick change; previously Mark Barron, SS

Pick 19: Chicago Bears: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
Jay Cutler was at his best when he had Brandon Marshall to throw to. It's actually amazing that he can function with Earl Bennett, Johnny Knox and Devin Hester as his top options.

Michael Floyd is the best consensus players on the board, and the Bears would be foolish if they didn't grab him to help their quarterback. The coaching staff has already mentioned that it will target a wideout this offseason anyway.

Pick change; previously Kendall Wright, WR

Pick 20: Tennessee Titans: Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia
Head coach Mike Munchak has publicly criticized the offensive line, blaming the unit for not opening up enough running lanes for Chris Johnson. Munchak could look to upgrade the front early in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Cordy Glenn looked tremendous in the Senior Bowl, as he showed some ability to play either tackle position, so this can no longer be considered a reach.

Pick 21: Cincinnati Bengals: Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
The Bengals have a great run-blocking offensive line. It's just a shame that they have nothing in the backfield to speak of. Cedric Benson is incredibly mediocre, and he'll be a 29-year-old free agent in March anyway.

Cincinnati is one of the few teams that targets specific positions per round, and I have to believe it wants to spend one of these first-round selections on a running back.

Pick 22: St. Louis Rams: Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
Some people didn't understand what I was trying to do with Ryan Tannehill here two weeks ago, so let's just abort that. Instead, here's a player who would make sense for both the Rams and the Browns.

This is a no-brainer for St. Louis. The team needs to bolster its pass protection up front so Sam Bradford doesn't turn into David Carr.

As for Cleveland, right tackle is a huge need, as I'm sure the Browns won't want Robert Griffin running around for his life.

Pick 23: Detroit Lions: Nick Perry, DE, USC ( This Walter Footballs pick for us. We'll go with it.)
Another first-round defensive lineman!? Well, it's no secret that Jim Schwartz loves bolstering his pass rush. Defensive end will be a big need for the Lions if free agent Cliff Avril leaves. Detroit doesn't have the cap space to give Avril the money he wants.

With 33-year-old Kyle Vanden Bosch declining, the Lions will have to find help up front. And besides, Nick Perry fits Detroit's best-player-available M.O.

We now have Bookend DE's. Unless we can find a gem later in this draft, Calvin will have to wait until next year to get replaced.

Pick 24: Pittsburgh Steelers: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
The Steelers usually take the top player on their board, and it would be hard to imagine that it wouldn't be Dont'a Hightower in this case. Pittsburgh has some aging inside linebackers on its defense, so Hightower would be a great long-term solution.

It was a close call for me between Hightower and Dontari Poe, but the latter doesn't seem like someone Pittsburgh would pick in the first round because he's so raw. Hightower, on the other hand, seems like he was made to play for the Steelers.

Pick 25: Denver Broncos: Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
It's unfortunate, but Brian Dawkins will have to retire because of a neck injury. The Broncos have two young safeties in Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter, but they really struggled last year. I don't think Denver can get away with starting both in 2012; the team will have a bottom-five pass defense if it opts to do this.

Pick change; previously Fletcher Cox, DT

Pick 26: Houston Texans: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
I asked this question in my 2013 NFL Mock Draft: How long is Gary Kubiak going to make us fantasy football owners suffer through Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones? The Texans really need an upgrade across from Andre Johnson.

Rumors have surfaced that Alshon Jeffery weighs 240 pounds and runs a 4.8. We'll see what happens at the Combine. If these rumors are proven true, he could be the second coming of Detroit's Mike Williams.

Pick change; previously Michael Floyd, WR

Pick 27: New England Patriots: Fletcher Cox, DE/DT, Mississippi State
Here's one of many front-seven upgrades the Patriots will need to make. With Albert Haynesworth gone, they need to address the front line. Fletcher Cox is the best player available at this juncture.

Pick change; previously Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB

Pick 28: Green Bay Packers: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
This may not seem like an obvious choice for the Packers, but Scott Wells, their stud center, is a free agent. Green Bay is close to the salary cap and will be using its franchise tag on Jermichael Finley, so it may not be able to re-sign Wells if he receives a huge contract elsewhere. If Wells leaves, Peter Konz will become one of the favorites to be selected at No. 28.

Pick 29: Baltimore Ravens: Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State
Ozzie Newsome indicated that he'll be looking for Ray Lewis' successor this upcoming April. Well, Vontaze Burfict makes sense for a number of reasons. He's one of the best players available and fits the attitude of Baltimore's defense. He can play next to Lewis right away, and Ozzie Newsome has taken chances on talented head-cases before.

Pick 30: San Francisco 49ers: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
Umm... did I forget about Vernon Davis? No. Jim Harbaugh loves utilizing multiple tight ends in his offense. If you don't think this can work, let me refer you to the Patriots. Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez complement each other rather well.

Harbaugh needs to acquire an offensive playmaker for Alex Smith, and Coby Fleener happens to be the best one available, as taking any receiver at this point would be considered a major reach.

Pick change; previously Alshon Jeffery, WR

Pick 31: New England Patriots: Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois
Whitney Mercilus is a really good fit for the Patriots. He can play defensive end in the 4-3 and rush linebacker 3-4, filling both needs in those schemes. He also has the size that Bill Belichick likes out of his rush linebackers.

Pick change; previously Alfonzo Dennard, CB

Pick 32: New York Giants: Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson
Jerry Reese's draft philosophy is to take the best player available. That would be Dwayne Allen in this case.

Allen would fill a need as well. Jake Ballard did an OK job this year, but tore his ACL in the Super Bowl. He could have been upgraded anyway.

Round 2 next page.

Last edited by BillySims on February 19th, 2012, 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

February 19th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
2nd Round:

Pick 33: Detroit Lions via St Louis:
Walter Footballs pick for the Rams is Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina. We'll go with that.

Pick 34: Indianapolis Colts: Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis
I'd like to give the Colts an offensive player here since teams usually complement a new quarterback with a receiver, tight end or offensive lineman. However, any player at those positions would be a reach in this scenario.

Instead, Indianapolis can grab its new nose tackle. The Colts are switching to a 3-4, and because the old regime favored smaller defensive linemen, the only player who can step in at nose tackle is 310-pound Antonio Johnson.

Pick change; previously Coby Fleener, TE

Pick 35: Minnesota Vikings: Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska
Minnesota's secondary is an absolute mess right now. The front office has to find some cornerback help in free agency or early in the 2012 NFL Draft. Antoine Winfield, who has missed at least six games in three of the previous five years, turns 35 in June. The disappointing Chris Cook has legal issues. Cedric Griffin, meanwhile, hasn't been the same since his double ACL tears.

Alfonzo Dennard is a steal here, considering that he was mocked in the early teens back in November. He had a poor Senior Bowl, but still provides tremendous value at No. 35 overall.

Pick change; previously Dontari Poe, NT

Pick 36: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska
The Buccaneers really like Lavonte David. They really need help at linebacker; it's so bad that David could be an instant upgrade.

Pick 37: Cleveland Browns: Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
When teams draft a quarterback early, they typically like to complement their new signal-caller with some protection or a play-maker. Think Matthew Stafford-Brandon Pettigrew, Sam Bradford-Rodger Saffold, Christian Ponder-Kyle Rudolph, and so on.

Mohamed Sanu has the potential to be a No. 1 wideout, and if he can take on that role, he and Greg Little would form a pretty solid duo for Robert Griffin.

Pick 38: Jacksonville Jaguars: Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall
Jeremy Mincey has really emerged as a dynamic pass-rusher, but he's the only Jaguar who can consistently get to the quarterback. Aaron Kampman probably won't be back. Matt Roth stopped the run well, but couldn't apply any pressure on opposing passers. He has a concussion history as well, so Jacksonville can't exactly rely on him. John Chick, meanwhile, is a solid, situational pass-rusher, but is undersized and happens to be a liability in run support.

The Colts will have Andrew Luck as their quarterback for the next decade-plus. Matt Schaub is coming back for Houston. Jake Locker has shown potential in Tennessee. If the Jaguars want to be competitive in the AFC South, they'll need to apply as much pressure as possible on the quarterback.

Pick change; previously Juron Criner, WR

Pick 39: Detroit Lions via Washington:
Walter Football has the Redskins ( Latest line of thinking is the Redskins would take him at 6th Overall) taking Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M. We'll go with that.
We will now hold a 4 way competition for the starting QB job if Stanton returns. ( I think he is a FA again this year). At the very least, Tannehill is a young, talented QB who has a tremendous upside.

Pick 40: Carolina Panthers: Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State
There are many reasons why the Panthers ranked dead last versus aerial attacks in terms of YPA (8.4). One of which is the cornerback position; they don't have anything across from Chris Gamble. No Dre Kirkpatrick in the first round opens up the possibility for a Round 2-4 selection on a corner.

Pick change; previously Stepon Gilmore, CB

Pick 41: Buffalo Bills: Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
The Bills could easily spend back-to-back first-round selections on defensive ends, as long as they're not reaching twice. That's how dire their pass-rushing situation is.

Pick 42: Miami Dolphins: Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
Again, the Dolphins are moving to a 4-3. They'll need some interior defensive line help depending on what happens with Kendall Langford and Paul Soliai in free agency. Jerel Worthy is the top player available.

Pick 43: Seattle Seahawks: Chandler Jones, DE/OLB, Syracuse
The Seahawks really struggled to get to the quarterback this past year because Raheem Brock no longer provided any sort of pass rush from the left end position. Brock will be a 34-year-old free agent in March anyway, so Seattle will have to find someone to take his spot as a situational pass-rusher. Also keep in mind that Chris Clemons will be a 31-year-old free agent the following offseason.

Pick change; previously Vinny Curry, DE/OLB

Pick 44: Kansas City Chiefs: Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
Right tackle Barry Richardson is a sieve in pass protection. Jared Gaither was foolishly waived (typical dumb Todd Haley move), so Kansas City will be looking for an upgrade at the position.

Pick 45: Dallas Cowboys: Ronnell Lewis, DE/OLB, Oklahoma
Anthony Spencer is a free agent. Dallas may not want to bring him back because he has consistency issues. If that's the case, the team will need someone across from DeMarcus Ware. Ronnell Lewis is the top player available who makes sense for the Cowboys.

Pick change; previously Chandler Jones, DE/OLB

Pick 46: Philadelphia Eagles: Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State
It's very possible that the Eagles will spend a Day 2 selection on a quarterback. Their current starter will be 32 soon, while Mike Kafka is just backup material.

Pick 47: New York Jets: Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
There are some rumblings out of New York that the coaching staff is losing faith in Mark Sanchez. Can you blame them? He just threw two picks to 300-pound Randy Starks. If it's true, the front office may spend a Day 2 selection on a quarterback to provide some competition.

Pick 48: New England Patriots: Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame
It's no secret that the Patriots need help at safety. Mike Mayock told us that Harrison Smith will be a second-round pick, with perhaps some teams considering him in the first.

Pick 49: San Diego Chargers: Kendall Reyes, DE/DT, Connecticut
Like Marcus McNeill, Luis Castillo will be a cap casualty this offseason. With free agent Antonio Garay likely gone, the Chargers will suddenly find themselves really thin on their defensive front line.

Pick change; previously Ronnell Lewis, DE/OLB

Pick 50: Chicago Bears: Orson Charles, TE, Georgia
Another weapon for Jay Cutler. Mike Martz is gone, so the Bears will probably start using talented tight ends - that is, of course, unless they hire another crazed lunatic as their offensive coordinator.

Pick 51: Philadelphia Eagles: Juron Criner, WR, Arizona
DeSean Jackson was criticized all year for dropping too many passes and not giving his all, but he had a strong finish to the 2011 season, which prompted Andy Reid to praise him during the Week 17 post-game press conference. There's now a chance that Jackson could be back, but I still have my doubts. Reid could have been talking him up for a potential tag-and-trade scheme, so I'm 70-30 on Jackson not returning.

If Jackson isn't retained, the Eagles will need a new receiver, and the 6-foot-2 Juron Criner is the top prospect on the board who currently makes sense for Philadelphia.

Pick change; previously Reuben Randle, WR

Pick 52: Tennessee Titans: Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia
The Titans go with the best player available who fills some sort of a need. They really need to upgrade their pass rush; Karl Klug led the team in sacks with seven.

Pick 53: Cincinnati Bengals: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
Pat Sims will be a free agent this offseason, so the Bengals will be looking for defensive tackle depth behind Domata Peko and Geno Atkins. Brandon Thompson is one of the top players available.

Pick 54: Detroit Lions: David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech ( Walter's pick for us. We'll go with it.)
The Lions have spent first- and second-round picks on running backs in the past two years, so it's hard to believe that this position is a dire need for them. Members of the Detroit organization are concerned that Jahvid Best may never be able to play football again because of his concussion issues. Meanwhile, Mikel Leshoure is coming off a torn Achilles, so he won't be ready to play fully until 2013.

David Wilson is the top player on the board, so he fits Detroit's strategy.

Pick 55: Atlanta Falcons: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
It doesn't appear as though Brent Grimes will be back in Atlanta next year. The coaching staff reportedly was miffed that he sat out the playoff game, possibly to avoid further injury that could have ruined his pay day. Meanwhile, Dunta Robinson won't be around in 2013 if he doesn't improve his play.

Pick change; previously Leonard Johnson, CB

Pick 56: Pittsburgh Steelers: Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State
Chris Kemoeatu was benched twice this past season. Due $3.5 million in 2012, he'll probably be a cap casualty.

Pick 57: Denver Broncos: Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
John Fox loves utilizing multiple running backs. Knowshon Moreno can't stay healthy and isn't very good anyway. Willis McGahee is nearing the end of his career, and he wore down at the end of the year. Doug Martin has drawn some comparisons to Ray Rice.

Pick 58: Houston Texans: Reuben Randle, WR, LSU
The Texans could easily go back-to-back receivers to kick off the 2012 NFL Draft. They're going to make upgrading the position a priority this offseason.

Pick change; previously Nick Toon, WR

Pick 59: New Orleans Saints: Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
The Saints couldn't rush the passer without blitzing this past season. An interior pass-rushing presence is needed. Mike Martin had a terrific Senior Bowl week. Go here for our extensive Senior Bowl coverage.

Pick 60: Green Bay Packers: Trumaine Johnson, CB/FS, Montana
Green Bay's secondary was in shambles this past year. Talent is needed at cornerback and safety, and Trumaine Johnson is one of the top prospects on the board.

The Packers will have to spend a high selection on a cornerback soon. Charles Woodson, 36 at some point during the 2012 campaign, isn't going to be around much longer. In the meantime, you can never have enough talented corners.

Pick change; previously Kendall Reyes, DE/DT

Pick 61: Baltimore Ravens: Jonathan Massaquoi, DE/OLB, Troy
As good as the Ravens' defense is, they only have one player who can consistently get to the quarterback. Jonathan Massaquoi would be a nice insurance policy just in case Sergio Kindle can't get healthy.

Pick 62: San Francisco 49ers: Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
It doesn't appear as though the 49ers will be able to re-sign Carlos Rogers. If that's the case, it'll open up a need at cornerback. Brandon Boykin's stock is on the rise following a strong Senior Bowl.

Pick 63: New England Patriots: Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin
The Patriots might be able to acquire Brandon Lloyd this offseason, but that doesn't mean that they won't draft a receiver in the first three rounds.

Pick change; previously Joe Adams, WR/KR

Pick 64: New York Giants: Bobby Wagner, LB, Utah State
Chase Blackburn played well at inside linebacker down the stretch, but I have my doubts about him being able to consistently perform at a high level throughout an entire season. If the Giants agree, they could target an upgrade early in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Round 3 next page.

Last edited by BillySims on February 19th, 2012, 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

February 19th, 2012, 9:54 pm
Hall of Fame Player

3rd Round

Quote:

Pick 65: Indianapolis Colts: Joe Adams, WR/KR, Arkansas
Here's the offensive player I discussed a round ago. Reggie Wayne won't be back with the Colts next year, and Pierre Garcon is also a free agent.

Pick change; previously Trumaine Johnson, CB

Pick 66: St. Louis Rams: DaJohn Harris, DT, USC
Starting defensive tackles Fred Robbins and Justin Bannan will be 35 and 33, respectively, once the 2012 NFL Draft rolls around. The Rams will need some young blood at the position.

Pick 67: Minnesota Vikings: Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
The Vikings really could use a run-stuffing interior presence. Pat Williams was missed last year.

Pick change; previously Chase Minnifield, CB/KR

Pick 68: Cleveland Browns: Chase Minnifield, CB/KR, Virginia
It's safe to say that Cleveland fans would love this pick, as Chase Minnifield's father, Frank, was a four-time Pro Bowler for the team in the 80s.

The Browns spent a mid-round pick on Buster Skrine, but he didn't play much as a rookie. With Sheldon Brown turning 33 soon, they'll need another talented cornerback to compete for the starting job across from Joe Haden. You can never have enough talented defensive backs in the NFL.

Pick change; previously Chandler Jones, DE

Pick 69: Tampa Bay Buccaneers: LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
The recently fired Raheem Morris said it himself - his offense has no explosion. LeGarrette Blount is a great runner, but he doesn't offer much in the pass-catching department. Adding another Oregon back would provide the Buccaneers with a great complement for Blount.

Pick 70: Washington Redskins: Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
The Redskins will be addressing the wide receiver position at some point during the offseason. If they can't find anyone via free agency, they'll do it in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Pick 71: Jacksonville Jaguars: Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina
Rashean Mathis will be a 32-year-old free agent this upcoming spring, so the Jaguars will be looking for another cornerback to have along with Derek Cox and William Middleton. Jacksonville really likes Josh Norman, who had an excellent East-West Shrine week.

Pick 72: Buffalo Bills: Dwight Bentley, CB, Louisiana-Lafayette
As noted in my Buffalo Bills Offseason Needs page, Drayton Florence was awful in 2011, getting torched on a regular basis. Aaron Williams is expected to step into the starting lineup, but Buffalo will need to find depth at this position, especially with Terrence McGee turning 32 in October.

Pick 73: Miami Dolphins: Nick Foles, QB, Arizona
New regimes mean new quarterbacks, so the Dolphins may want to bring in a young signal-caller to groom behind Matt Flynn. There's always the chance that Flynn's record-setting Week 17 game was a fluke, so Miami should be prepared.

Pick 74: Chicago Bears: Brandon Washington, G/OT, Miami
Mike Tice did a phenomenal job with the offensive line this past year. However, the front still needs an upgrade at the right guard position, where Chris Spencer struggled.

Pick 75: Kansas City Chiefs: Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama
If the Chiefs aren't confident in sixth-round rookie Jerrell Powe's progression, they could opt to select their nose tackle of the future in this spot.

Pick change; previously Alameda Ta'amu, NT

Pick 76: Seattle Seahawks: Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State
The Seahawks need to bring in someone to challenge "Tarvis" Jackson because they have no hope of advancing deep into the playoffs with him, even if he is a "stronger thrower" than "Mark Sandchez." Seattle has shown serious interest in Kirk Cousins.

Pick 77: Philadelphia Eagles: Jared Crick, DE/DT, Nebraska
The Eagles could use some depth on the defensive line. Jared Crick is the top player available, and he is a great fit for Jim Washburn's scheme.

Pick 78: New York Jets: George Iloka, S, Boise State
The Jets have major issues at safety. Jim Leonhard's status next year is in doubt because of a torn patellar tendon. Meanwhile, Eric Smith was exposed so badly in a matchup against the Patriots that his unborn grandchildren will get ridiculed at school for it one day.

Pick 79: San Diego Chargers: Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
The Chargers have big problems at the guard. Pro Bowl Kris Dielman is pondering retirement after a couple of concussions led to a seizure recently. San Diego had a need at the position even before that.

Pick 80: Chicago Bears: Sean Spence, OLB, Miami
The Bears have to start preparing for life after Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs. They need depth at linebacker in the meantime.

Pick 81: Arizona Cardinals: Bobby Massie, OT, Ole Miss
There's a strong possibility that the Cardinals could double dip on the offensive line in the first few rounds. That's how dire the situation is at that position.

Pick 82: Dallas Cowboys: Tank Carder, ILB, TCU
Bradie James is a free agent, and all the Cowboys will have left at the position is Sean Lee and Bruce Carter.

Tank Carder is running a Draft Diary for us. Click the link to check it out.

Pick 83: Tennessee Titans: Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
Colin McCarthy played really well since taking over for a struggling Barrett Ruud. It looks like he'll be the long-term answer in the middle. Now, the Titans have to find an upgrade on the weak side.

Pick 84: Cincinnati Bengals: Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State
I thought Cincinnati's safety play prior to the playoff game was atrocious. I'm less of a fan of it now. Chris Crocker cannot be allowed to start next year - not after that effort.

Pick 85: Atlanta Falcons: James Brown, OT, Troy
The Giants manhandled Atlanta's offensive line in the playoffs. One of the issues was at left tackle, where Sam Baker was benched during the year. Will Svitek was solid in relief early, but really struggled down the stretch.

Pick change; previously Joe Adams, WR/KR

Pick 86: Detroit Lions: Antonio Allen, S, South Carolina ( Walter's Pick for us. Can't argue with it. We'll go with it.)
A possible upgrade for Detroit's secondary. Amari Spievey was brutal all year, and he saved his worst performance for the postseason loss at New Orleans.

Pick 87: Pittsburgh Steelers: Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple
Coming off a torn ACL, Rashard Mendenhall will be entering his contract year in 2012. The Steelers should have an alternative option at the ready just in case they decide not to retain Mendenhall.

Pick 88: Denver Broncos: Billy Winn, DT, Boise State
Brodrick Bunkley had a great year as a run-stuffer, but the Broncos don't really have anything next to him. Ryan McBean and free agent Marcus Thomas were both OK in run support, while offering absolutely nothing in terms of a pass rush.

Pick change; previously Jayron Hosley, CB

Pick 89: Houston Texans: Tyrone Crawford, DE/DT, Boise State
The Texans will be a little thin up front if five-tech Tim Bulman leaves via free agency.

Pick change; previously Josh Chapman, NT

Pick 90:New Orleans Saints: Keenan Robinson, OLB, Texas
Will the Saints finally find some help for their crappy linebacking corps? Keenan Robinson, who has drawn some interest from New Orleans, could provide some assistance.

Pick 91: Green Bay Packers: Shea McClellin, DE/OLB, Boise State
It's not exactly an earth-shattering revelation that the Packers need help across from Clay Matthews. Erik Walden and the other rush linebackers were largely ineffective last year. Perhaps Green Bay's pass defense will improve in the wake of an upgraded pass rush.

Pick change; previously Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB

Pick 92: Baltimore Ravens: Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati
Ricky Williams has retired, so he can now do everything he wasn't able to do during his playing career, like smoke weed and go on tours with crappy musicians. Oh wait...

Pick change; previously Tommy Streeter, WR

Pick 93: San Francisco 49ers: Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
San Francisco's offensive performance in the NFC Championship made it pretty apparent that help is needed at wideout. If the 49ers don't sign a receiver, they'll take one early in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Pick change; previously Billy Winn, DE/DT

Pick 94: New England Patriots: Ryan Steed, CB, Furman
You can never have enough talented cornerbacks. Considering the state of the Patriots' secondary, it'll be a surprise if they don't draft one early, especially if they want to use Ras-I Dowling or Devin McCourty at safety - something that may have to happen considering the lack of talent at that position in this class.

Pick change; previously Kheeston Randall, DE/DT

Pick 95: New York Giants: Brandon Brooks, G, Miami of Ohio
New York's offensive line has been better lately, but the left guard position still needs to be addressed. David Diehl is done. He's been awful this year, and he's all but gone considering that he's owed $8 million over the next two years.

Last edited by BillySims on February 19th, 2012, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2012, 9:54 pm
Hall of Fame Player

So, after all this, Here are just our picks:

Pick 4: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Pick 6: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

Pick 8: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

Pick 9: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

Pick 23: Nick Perry, DE, USC

Pick 33: Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina

Pick 39: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

Pick 54: David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

Pick 86: Antonio Allen, S, South Carolina

Overall, we would end up just as talented, if not more so, than we are now for a whole lot less money.

And we would still have all of our picks next year plus:

Washington's 1st and 3rd
Carolina's 2nd or 3rd
and the Rams 2nd or 3rd.

I think we would become a Super Bowl Contender For the next 6-7 years.

So, what do you think? Would you do it?

February 19th, 2012, 10:11 pm
Team MVP

No

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 19th, 2012, 11:02 pm
RIP Killer

We haven't had a QB in 50 years, we finally have one and you want to trade him for an unknown. Been there, done that for 50 years - hell no...

February 19th, 2012, 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
We haven't had a QB in 50 years, we finally have one and you want to trade him for an unknown. Been there, done that for 50 years - hell no...

I didn't say I wanted to trade Stafford. I did all this to see what we would end up with if all those trades became a reality because we are cap strapped for the next decade because of the last decade.

February 19th, 2012, 11:30 pm
RIP Killer

It is interesting to think about (and sad to think that we finally have something to be proud of and were up against the cap). However, trading staff and CJ would cripple the team and they wouldn't be better than 7-9 / 8-8 IMO. Eventually it'd be nice if half of those picks panned out, but the bread and butter would be gone and the team would set back more than 2 years

February 20th, 2012, 12:14 am
Rookie Player of the Year

You forgot option 4: "This is batsh** insane."

February 20th, 2012, 12:26 am
Walk On

Calvin, Suh, and Stafford are all worth the money, regardless of their draft status. I don't think we have any other 1st round picks that are crippling us cap wise

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

February 20th, 2012, 10:37 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I agree... Billy, did you also see the flux capacitor when you fell off the toilet and bumped your head and came up with this thread?

Trading Stafford and CJ is ridiculous. Suh, I wouldn't mind, but that's only because I think we can have a great DL without him, and I think he's going to cost a ton down the road.

The bigger issue isn't our first round draft picks that are killing us. That's like saying "we're going to be doomed because we have to much talent." That isn't the case. There are plenty of teams with three superstars on it, in fact, I think that's about the average of all of the really good teams. The bigger issue is over-paid players that underperform.

The bottom line is Nate, Backus, Raiola, Best, KVB, Gosider Cherilus, and Corey Williams are all over-paid. That's what's hurting this team. If you get rid of their salaries this team is in great shape, cap wise.

February 20th, 2012, 10:44 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I agree... Billy, did you also see the flux capacitor when you fell off the toilet and bumped your head and came up with this thread?

Trading Stafford and CJ is ridiculous. Suh, I wouldn't mind, but that's only because I think we can have a great DL without him, and I think he's going to cost a ton down the road.

The bigger issue isn't our first round draft picks that are killing us. That's like saying "we're going to be doomed because we have to much talent." That isn't the case. There are plenty of teams with three superstars on it, in fact, I think that's about the average of all of the really good teams. The bigger issue is over-paid players that underperform.

The bottom line is Nate, Backus, Raiola, Best, KVB, Gosider Cherilus, and Corey Williams are all over-paid. That's what's hurting this team. If you get rid of their salaries this team is in great shape, cap wise.

Trading Stafford, who has now fulfilled his potential, is completely insane. I agree with wjb that the contracts of Stafford, CJ and Suh aren't the ones killing the team, it's the non or under performers that are hurting us. However, I think the idea of trading Suh now because of what his contract will do in the future is foolish. Our D-line is NOT great without Suh. He changes the entire complexion of the way an offense approaches their gameplan. It wasn't him that hurt us this past season, at all. Teams just accounted for him more, and the other players around him failed to pick up the slack. Cherilus, Corey Williams, Peterman and Burleson are the ones who are truly overpaid on this team, and it is their contracts that need to be redone, or trade them. Certainly we wouldn't get the same return in trade. But THAT is proof that they aren't worth the paper their contracts are written on.

KVB is not someone I would agree that should be gotten rid of, since it is HIS attitude and work ethic that started the ball rolling for this defense and this team in general. He is still an insanely hard worker, still provides leadership on and off the field, and is still productive enough (8 sacks) to justify his staying on the team. The contract with Best is probably not that inhibitive, salary wise. Bonus money is an issue. If he decides to retire due to injury, do we recoup that prorated bonus money? I don't think we can....so whether he's on the team or not, his deal isn't hurting us. Backus doesn't have a deal right now, so how can his contract be hurting us? Dom's deal is definitely over-paying him, but not to such a degree that it is hurting this team that much. He's still a better, more consistent player than Peterman or Cherilus, and I'd prefer to see them canned or traded before Raiola. If we can find a cheaper replacement for Raiola without a drop-off in play, then I'd be all for it.

February 20th, 2012, 11:51 am
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:

Insane? That's a bit harsh don't you think? Where is your idea for getting the cap under control while not weakening the teams talent base? In order to do it, you have to get rid of the contracts that have put us in the situation.

With this scenario, I accomplish that, while at the same time getting the draft picks to maintain the talent level on the team. And save a whole lot of Cash in the process.

February 20th, 2012, 12:10 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

First off, apparently you missed the part where I said, "( Please note that this is just to see the possibilities. It is not necessarily anything that I want to happen.)"

Try reading the 1st post in this thread. It appears in the 2nd sentence of the 2nd paragraph.

So, there is no need to accuse me of being off my rocker. I had the idea. So, I went with it to see where it would go and posted it here for an interesting discussion during the lull between the Super Bowl and the Combines.

February 20th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next