View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 5:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Cap Space 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Cap Space
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Let's not panic. Lewand (and to some extent Mayhew) get paid a lot of money to handle this sort of thing. I'm sure they have a plan for how to deal with it that includes cutting as few starters as possible.

It's not panic, it's business. Alfonso Smith and Corey Williams are as good as gone. For what they are paid, they simply aren't producing to warrant it. Williams may agree to a pay cut, but with the Lions openly shopping Alfonso Smith, I don't think there's a prayer he will stay where he knows he's not really wanted. He's been given his chances, and he's failed. Some of the others, like Will Heller, probably won't be released. But it's hard to justify his salary when a third TE on most teams makes league minimum.

thelomasbrowns wrote:
This also brings me back to something I thought of a while back--teams with high picks before the rookie wage scale should get some sort of salary cap waiver for those contracts until they expire--it's ridiculous that we're saddled with all these unavoidable huge contracts after years of being bad. Talk about insult to injury.

The issue with this is that the teams who don't qualify will complain that they did things right, created playoff teams, and are now getting punished for it. Where do you draw the line? The answer is to not draw one at all. If the teams saddled with those deals don't like them, work with the players agent to come up with a creative way of reducing the cap numbers for those players. If not, oh well.

March 6th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Varsity Captain

I read somewhere that KVB's hit for this year is around $7mil. As much as I like him, the business side of it all says it's time to go or restructure.

Corey Williams, Nate and Peterman need to go. They have done a good job for us but the peformance is not worth the cash.

We have enough DT's to fill out the rotation, we can get a younger and probably better DE for much less cash.

Granted we an't cut Backus or Dom right now but we can get their replacements now and save a ton of cash next year.

Resign Tulloch and Avril, extend Megatron. LeShore comes back healthy cut Best. I saw a mock that had us taking Doug Martin in rd. 2. No way no how. Tolbert and Bush and maybe Hillis will be there in FA and if we need a speed back there will be plenty available in the later rounds.

It's time to put the BPA on the back burner unless a real stud falls to us but only in a position of need. Don't reach but take someone that will start this year or next.

Now's not the timeto backstep, grab a player that will be a part of the youngest, hottest team in the NFL.

Good Night!

March 7th, 2012, 12:18 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Why are we even discussing Spotrac's numbers when they are a joke? For instance, they have Corey Williams and Alphonzo Smith as having prorated signing bonuses when those don't transfer to the new team via trade. I could go on, but why bother?

March 8th, 2012, 3:10 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

profootballtalk.com wrote:
Teams still don’t know the 2012 cap number
Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2012, 11:25 PM EST

The new league year begins on March 13 at 4:00 p.m. ET. At that moment, every team must be in compliance with the salary cap.

And yet no team knows specifically what it will be.

A league source tells PFT that the teams still have not been told the amount of the 2012 salary cap. As of March 3, the NFL and the union were “scrambling” to increase the number.

So far, they apparently haven’t figured out how to make it happen.

At some point, they need to bite the bullet and pull the sheet off the official number and persuade the teams it’s a plate of chicken salad.

This is ridiculous........how can any team prepare for free agency or even re-signing their own players if the cap is unknown?

March 8th, 2012, 10:11 pm
Team MVP

Does anyone remember what last years cap number was?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 8th, 2012, 10:35 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

kdsberman wrote:
Does anyone remember what last years cap number was?

$120 million. Its estimated that it can be between $120 and $130 million this year, so it won't go down, but it could very well jump $10 million which would be a good boost for resigning/signing FA's.

March 9th, 2012, 3:03 am
Varsity Captain

Kffl is reporting on most the resructured contracts and there seems to be a boatload this year.

Oakland had around 6, including Carson Palmer, Richard Seymor and 1 more big name which I can't remember.

So far in this offseason the Lions have done next to nothing, unless I missed something other than Avril getting the Tag.

So, where are our restructured deals? I know that we already have some in place but where are the big moves. We definately have players that are making big time money for average play. We have 4 days before FA starts and we don't seem to be ready at all. I'm sure that they have a few surprises for us but Tulloch, CJ and Avril should all be signed by now and even earlyer. The FO would already know what we need to do with big contracts and cuts that need to be made.

All inall it seems like our FA is showing up for the 1st day of school without a pencil. Or atleast one that has any lead in it.

I know that there is more going on than we know but come on, at least throw us a bone!

March 9th, 2012, 7:09 am
Hall of Fame Player

Boz wrote:
Kffl is reporting on most the resructured contracts and there seems to be a boatload this year.

Oakland had around 6, including Carson Palmer, Richard Seymor and 1 more big name which I can't remember.

So far in this offseason the Lions have done next to nothing, unless I missed something other than Avril getting the Tag.

So, where are our restructured deals? I know that we already have some in place but where are the big moves. We definately have players that are making big time money for average play. We have 4 days before FA starts and we don't seem to be ready at all. I'm sure that they have a few surprises for us but Tulloch, CJ and Avril should all be signed by now and even earlyer. The FO would already know what we need to do with big contracts and cuts that need to be made.

All inall it seems like our FA is showing up for the 1st day of school without a pencil. Or atleast one that has any lead in it.

I know that there is more going on than we know but come on, at least throw us a bone!

First of all, Mayhew is not going to just go hacking and slashing all willy nilly just to appear to be doing something. Mayhew was negoting with Avril until the Franchise tag deadline. He has now shifted focus to getting CJ extended. That is going to be a big contract and will take some time.
As for everything else, Mayhew has got to wait until CJ's deal is done and the NFL has finally announced what the Cap is going to be. Then he will be able to make WISE choices about the roster.

March 9th, 2012, 8:33 am
1st Round Pick

BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:

First of all, Mayhew is not going to just go hacking and slashing all willy nilly just to appear to be doing something. Mayhew was negoting with Avril until the Franchise tag deadline. He has now shifted focus to getting CJ extended. That is going to be a big contract and will take some time.
As for everything else, Mayhew has got to wait until CJ's deal is done and the NFL has finally announced what the Cap is going to be. Then he will be able to make WISE choices about the roster.

If he's prioritised it in that order, IMO it's a mistake. The availability of the franchise tag meant we could always buy ourselves time until July to sort out Avril. CJ is, IMO, the most pressing concern - where we get to with him determines how much wiggle room we have, and therefore our entire approach to FA - including Avril.

Getting CJ resigned, or establishing that that's just not going to happen, should be this organisation's priority no 1.

March 9th, 2012, 8:48 am
Rookie Player of the Year

BillySims wrote:
Boz wrote:

+1 Does Mayhew really seem like the type to 'show up the 1st day without a pencil'? If anything, he's the exact opposite. It seems like every year of the Mayhew/Schwartz regime, people panic because we're not doing what a lot of the other clubs are doing. Then he pulls off some ridiculous trades or signs some sleepers in free agency and all is well with the world. The man's earned our patience and trust.

March 9th, 2012, 9:41 am
RIP Killer

Boz wrote:

It's difficult to negotiate any deal right now until the cap is announced by the league. The fact that they haven't done that is absolutely ridiculous. The Lions are going to be tip toeing around it, so they need to know exact figures for the big names.

Off season is not just about renegotiating contracts, so saying that "Mayhew hasn't done anything" is just foolish. Combines? Interviews? Pro Days? Mock drafts? Free agent visits? All this and more is being worked on during the off-season, as well as the GMs responsibilities to oversee that the facilities are being taken care of, coaching contracts are taken care of, game tapes being reviewed on prospective draft targets, etc.

There is no "off-season" for an NFL front office.

March 9th, 2012, 10:22 am
Varsity Captain

Billy,Willy Nilly? You sound like my grandmother may she RIP. I wasn't suggesting that Mayhew and Lewand were sitting on their arses drinking cocktails. The cuts and restructured contracts are what I was (or meant to) refering to.

Mayhew has already said that he would not ask Nate or Williams to restructure their contracts. There have been no cuts (a least not anybody who's name I could remember for more than 5 seconds). No resigning of our own FAs and no spectulation about other FAs (if they have been released we can talk to them all we want, no tampering Gunny) by anyone other than the fans.

We all know that the FO has been busting rectum trying to take care of Avril and CJ. What about Tulloch?

In the absense of reliable information from the FO most would choose to believe the worst (that came from some movie), namely they have done nothing.

Most of us have been on this board for years and we know that Mayhew and Lewand always have something up their sleves. This isn't black ops, it's ok to "throw us a bone" rather than have everything we talk about be pure speculation.

Billy, are you still driving truck? Because if you are, please do not talk to anybody at a truckstop and say "Willy Nilly"!!! I'd miss you on this board. LMAO

March 9th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Njroar, where did you get the $130M number from? The most I've heard is $125M, but I don't expect it to increase to more than $123M at best. Regardless, the Lions are pretty much screwed until 2014 when the cap should increase dramatically.

March 10th, 2012, 11:20 pm

I thought I should add that the Lions shouldn't have a problem getting under the cap. All it takes is a tweak here and a tweak there. If I can do it, they can do it too. Unfortunately, it always makes things more difficult down the road, so you have to balance the present with the future.

March 11th, 2012, 12:05 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

profootballtalk.com wrote:
2012 cap expected to be $120.6 million
Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2012, 10:43 PM EST

It was getting lonely being the one of the only outlets writing anything about the whereabouts of the 2012 salary cap. FOX’s Jay Glazer, who has been cranking out more scoops lately than a creamery worker on meth, says via Twitter that he’s hearing the number, when unveiled on Monday, will be $120.6 million per team.

That’s not much of an increase at all over the 2011 amount, $120.375 million.

At a time when the NFL continues to see increased popularity and revenue, an essentially flat cap seems odd, to say the least.

As we’ve been told, unexpected increases in benefits held the cap down. Another factor is the return of the performance-based pay system, which sets aside $3.46 million per team that otherwise would boost the salary cap. Some league insiders believe that this specific payment, which gives significant payment to players with low salaries but extensive playing time, was omitted in 2011 in order to keep the cap on the right side of $120 million.

March 11th, 2012, 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next