View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2014, 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Cap Space 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Cap Space
Boz wrote:
Billy,Willy Nilly? You sound like my grandmother may she RIP. I wasn't suggesting that Mayhew and Lewand were sitting on their arses drinking cocktails. The cuts and restructured contracts are what I was (or meant to) refering to.

Mayhew has already said that he would not ask Nate or Williams to restructure their contracts. There have been no cuts (a least not anybody who's name I could remember for more than 5 seconds). No resigning of our own FAs and no spectulation about other FAs (if they have been released we can talk to them all we want, no tampering Gunny) by anyone other than the fans.

We all know that the FO has been busting rectum trying to take care of Avril and CJ. What about Tulloch?

In the absense of reliable information from the FO most would choose to believe the worst (that came from some movie), namely they have done nothing.

Most of us have been on this board for years and we know that Mayhew and Lewand always have something up their sleves. This isn't black ops, it's ok to "throw us a bone" rather than have everything we talk about be pure speculation.

Billy, are you still driving truck? Because if you are, please do not talk to anybody at a truckstop and say "Willy Nilly"!!! I'd miss you on this board. LMAO

Well, I could have said Helter Skelter. I was trying to be nice and not conjure up images of shredded people.

As for not restructuring Nate or Williams, You generally don;t restructure contracts that you will be cutting. So, maybe the fact that he won't restructure them is " throwing us a bone".

As for Tulloch: I was really high on bringing him to the Lions last year. I was thrilled at seeing his tackles stats. Well, as we seen last year, the vast majority of those tackles came after the Opposing player has already gained about 5-7 yards. Tulloch is the biggest reason we could not stop the run last year.
I really don't think we could do worse with a rookie.

And yes, I do still drive truck. And no, I don't generally say Willy Nilly.

March 11th, 2012, 11:15 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Detroit News wrote:
March 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm

NFL salary cap is $120.6 million for 2012

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Defensive end Cliff Avril will earn $10.6 million in 2012. (Dave Reginek / Getty Images)

Allen Park — The NFL has finally set the 2012 salary cap — $120.6 million. That is just a slight increase ($225,000) over the 2011 limit.

The Lions, according to Pat Kirwin of CBS Sports, are one of four teams that still need to clear salary to get under the cap before 4 p.m. Tuesday. The Lions, Cardinals, Panthers and Texans are presently over the cap.

The franchise tag salaries were also set. Defensive end Cliff Avril, as reported, will earn $10.6 million as a non-exclusive franchise tagged player, unless he and the team can agree on a long-term contract.

Here are the rest of the franchise tags, in millions: quarterback, $14.4; running back, $7.7; receiver, $9.5; tight end, $5.4; offensive line, $9.4; defensive tackle, $7.96; linebacker, $8.85; cornerback, $10.3; safety, $6.2; kicker-punter, $2.65.

March 11th, 2012, 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Me thinks the whole C. Williams is not going to be cut thing was an effort by Mayhew to drum up trade interest. I really don't see how he can be retained.

March 11th, 2012, 11:12 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Must be missing something. We are currently over the cap which restricts our ability to sign free agents. I assume the League has a seperate rookie pool again. Sly says a tweak or three will square the cap, but that doesn't necessarily sign or resign anyone. And Mayhew and Lewand are doing a good job?!

I understand that most teams are in nearly the same boat, but the good ones have continued to build their teams via the draft so they can afford to release some vets and sign others. Not Mayhew. He has virtually ignored the offensive line, linebacker and the secondary in the draft. We have too much money tied up in too few positions and no draft picks behind our important free agents to step in.

Mayhew will need a good draft this time around to really clear cap space for the coming years (at least to have more flexibility) and I don't see that happening. Then again, I haven't really liked any of his drafts. More than anything else, it has been free agent signings that have made the difference with this team and that cannot continue.

March 12th, 2012, 10:39 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Suh, Stafford (again) and Nate have restructured to save cap space. No # on stafford yet, but Nate saves 2.5 against cap, Suh up to 6, so that's more than half of the $ to get under cap right there. Stafford amount will get them closer then probably expect Alfonso Smith to get cut, possibly Cwill. The real cap space will come when they extend CJ and Avril.

Not counting Suh, Stafford and Nate's restructures = just about $10 million, so with the money carried over from last season and the max we can borrow against the cap should give us what we need to take care of business.

Just those 3 moves moved us from -11 to +5ish.

Last edited by njroar on March 12th, 2012, 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

March 12th, 2012, 10:54 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Jafo wrote:
Must be missing something. We are currently over the cap which restricts our ability to sign free agents. I assume the League has a seperate rookie pool again. Sly says a tweak or three will square the cap, but that doesn't necessarily sign or resign anyone. And Mayhew and Lewand are doing a good job?!

Most of our $ is tied up in high draft picks that were taken before the rookie wage scale was in place. That's a systemic issue, not a matter of front office incompetence.

March 12th, 2012, 11:05 am
RIP Killer

Story on cap savings from PFT...

Quote:
Lions get cap relief as Stafford, Suh, Burleson restructure contracts
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 12, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT

With one day to go before the start of the league year, the Lions are still over the salary cap. So they’ve restructured some contracts to change that.

Quarterback Matthew Stafford, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and receiver Nate Burleson have all restructured deals. Stafford and Suh surely just converted some of this year’s base salaries into signing bonuses that can be prorated over the rest of their contracts. It’s not clear whether Burleson took less money or simply restructured in the same way.

Suh’s agent, Rosey Barnes, told FOX Sports Detroit that the deal will save the Lions “a significant amount” of cap space. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press notes that Suh’s cap number was scheduled to be $12.8 million, but the Lions can cut that in half by converting his $9.25 million base salary into the league minimum and give him the difference as a signing bonus. Burleson’s deal saved about $2.17 million in cap space. The particulars about Stafford’s deal are not yet known.

The Lions have made clear that they want to work out a new deal with Calvin Johnson to clear up more cap space and get Johnson locked up for years to come, although there have been no reports that Johnson — who is heading into the final year of his rookie contract — is close to agreeing to terms.

March 12th, 2012, 11:11 am
Team MVP

This is good news. While still awaiting the Johnson/Avril stuff, how much room will that give us in terms of potentially what players?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 12th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Just the basic numbers will give us about $6 million, but we haven't dealt with tenders for Levy/Hill yet, but tendering them gives them time to work more $ out of the system. Its also being reported that we're pursuing Mario Williams, so that might lead to KVB's 7 million coming off as well as possibly Cwill and A.Smith. CJ's extension is still in the works as is Avril's. Right now, CJ is counting 21.1 million against the cap, so he's the key.

March 12th, 2012, 1:31 pm
QB Coach

Where'd you see that we're pursuing Mario Williams?

March 12th, 2012, 2:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah, 1st I heard about Mario too especially seeing as I live close to Houston and work with a bunch of their fans.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 12th, 2012, 2:17 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

LionsFan4Life wrote:
Yeah, 1st I heard about Mario too especially seeing as I live close to Houston and work with a bunch of their fans.

Are there any official sources for that? I can't imagine we'd be in the running for him with the attention and money he should be getting.

March 12th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Schefter on ESPN announced it.

Also, the NFL penalized Dallas and Washington for cap violations. Austin's contract in Dallas and Haynesworth were seen as too obvious trying to game the system with the cash allotted in uncapped year, so they knocked 13 million off Dallas's cap number and 36 million off Washington's cap and spread it to 28 other teams. Oakland and New Orleans also had infractions but didn't take any away, just didn't get a share. The 28 teams each get an additional 1.6 million in cap space.

March 12th, 2012, 4:02 pm
Heisman Winner

Just saw an FB post from Schefter that the Redskins released OJ Atogwe. Does anyone know if we have the cap space to sign someone like him? (with Stafford, Suh and Burleson restructuring)

March 12th, 2012, 4:41 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

DayDreamer wrote:
Just saw an FB post from Schefter that the Redskins released OJ Atogwe. Does anyone know if we have the cap space to sign someone like him? (with Stafford, Suh and Burleson restructuring)

He'll be 32 this year. Not saying it won't happen but he's not the player he used to be.

March 12th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next