View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Lions current free agents 
RIP Killer

Post Lions current free agents
QB Shaun Hill, Drew Stanton
RB Maurice Morris, Kevin Smith
WR Maurice Stovall, Rashied Davis
OL Jeff Backus, Leonard Davis
DL Cliff Avril, Andre Fluellen
LB Stephen Tulloch, Isaiah Ekujiuba
CB Eric Wright, Brandon McDonald
S Chris Harris, Erik Coleman

February 21st, 2012, 1:48 pm
Post Re: Lions current free agents
m2karateman wrote:
QB Shaun Hill, Drew Stanton
RB Maurice Morris, Kevin Smith
WR Maurice Stovall, Rashied Davis
OL Jeff Backus, Leonard Davis
DL Cliff Avril, Andre Fluellen
LB Stephen Tulloch, Isaiah Ekujiuba
CB Eric Wright, Brandon McDonald
S Chris Harris, Erik Coleman

I'll be disappointed if we let Tulloch, and Wright go without upgrading their positions via FA. There really aren't many good options to upgrade Tulloch - Lofton and D'Qwell. D'Qwell may be an upgrade, but he's a "?" at best, missing basically the whole 2010 season, and at what cost? My wish is that we tag and trade Avril and go after Carr/Porter, I doubt I'll get it though...

Shaun Hill/Stanton is interesting. Do we make any attempt at keeping Stanton? He's been pissed at us since we drafted him for not giving him a chance. I wanted us to trade him last year for someone, even a 3rd-5th round draft pick. It just seemed better than letting him walk for free to me, and we had Hill as a good, healthy, viable backup. How much do we pay Hill, and would anyone look at him as a starter? With Staff's injury history only being one year removed, I don't think it would be prudent to go into next season without Hill or a similar vet that can play Qb for us at a fairly high level for a few weeks if need be.

I've seen a lot of talk about Mike Adams as our first round pick. I don't really like it. I'd rather draft Kontz and go Backus or Gaither or bust at LT. Fix the middle of the OL first, and upgrade our OTs later.

February 21st, 2012, 4:46 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Shaun Hill - Resign. He wants to come back so I believe he will be back and that is reassuring.

Kevin Smith - Our RB situation is a big ?. We don't know about Best or Leshoure. He needs to be resigned.

Jeff Backus - Resign. I am in agreement with wjb. We draft Kontz and resign Backus or sign Gaither. I think Backus will come cheaper and Gaither likely will be over paid.

Tulloch - Pay the man!

Wright - What is he worth? Can we get him on a 3 year 5-5.5 mil contract? If we can get him for that sign him.

Avril - I have been saving this one trying to decide what to do with him. I can only watch the games but I honestly don't know if Avril is that good or if he just benefited by being on the Lions strong D Line. I think he benefited more fron the D Line but I really can't say as I am not a NFL talent evualator. I think any team would hate to lose that type of production. I am feeling a 5 year 30 mil deal is fair based on production. I would prefer to see it around the 5 year 25 mil range and I believe he would want somewhere around the 5 year 35 mil range. It depends on where they can find a happy medium if I would want him to stick around.

The other guys...whatever happen with them happens.

February 26th, 2012, 12:37 am
RIP Killer

Lionfanatic wrote:
Shaun Hill - Resign. He wants to come back so I believe he will be back and that is reassuring.

Kevin Smith - Our RB situation is a big ?. We don't know about Best or Leshoure. He needs to be resigned.

Jeff Backus - Resign. I am in agreement with wjb. We draft Kontz and resign Backus or sign Gaither. I think Backus will come cheaper and Gaither likely will be over paid.

Tulloch - Pay the man!

Wright - What is he worth? Can we get him on a 3 year 5-5.5 mil contract? If we can get him for that sign him.

Avril - I have been saving this one trying to decide what to do with him. I can only watch the games but I honestly don't know if Avril is that good or if he just benefited by being on the Lions strong D Line. I think he benefited more fron the D Line but I really can't say as I am not a NFL talent evualator. I think any team would hate to lose that type of production. I am feeling a 5 year 30 mil deal is fair based on production. I would prefer to see it around the 5 year 25 mil range and I believe he would want somewhere around the 5 year 35 mil range. It depends on where they can find a happy medium if I would want him to stick around.

The other guys...whatever happen with them happens.

In short, I'd love to see Hill come back.

With Smith, I just don't know. According to Schwartz they expect LeShoure to be in good shape come training camp, and expect Best to resume his career with them. I think both Mo Morris and Keiland Williams are goners regardless of who comes back.

I agree that the Lions need to re-up Backus on a short (2 or 3 year) deal that doesn't overpay him, and won't hurt them cap wise if they cut him next year. I prefer Kontz over anyone right now, his 18 bench presses be damned. I'll stick to his field production, which was awesome.

Tulloch, I'd like to see him back, but not at any cost. He didn't impress me that much, but if he takes a fair deal, by all means ink him.
With Wright, it's a tough call. He'd be better suited to play the nickel role, but I think he wants starter money. We'll see.

Avril- you won't get him signed to a 5 year, $35M deal. That's low to a pass rusher with his stats. He's likely going to be looking for something in the $10-$12 per year average for four to six years. It's exactly why, if he asks for that much, the Lions should tag and trade. Some team would pay that amount for him because of his production and relatively young age. Regardless of whether the interior helped his production, he still had to make the plays. Aside from his sacks, don't forget the forced fumbles he had and the other plays he made. He definitely benefited from the presence of Suh, and KVB and some slightly improved coverage in the secondary from previous seasons. But he still had to be the one to beat that right tackle and get to the QB before the ball was thrown. Give the man his due respect. But as for his pay, he's not worth $12M per season, to me. $8-9M per season over five or six years would be fair. Something like a six year, $50M deal with a bonus of about $15M. Keep his salary down to the $2M range for 2012, increased to $3.5M in 2013, $5M in 2014, $7M in 2015, $7.5M in 2016 and $10M in the final year of the deal.

February 26th, 2012, 1:30 am
Red Shirt Freshman

You are right. Avril would command more than 7.5 mil avg/season. I know the coaching staff wants a very good DL and maybe they feel Avril will be worth 12 mil/year. He had 11 sacks which were tied for 11th best in the NFL. He also had less tackles than any other player with more, or tied with, sacks than him.

I honestly don't know what his worth is to the team. If we cannot get 10+ sacks from another DE we may have to pony up that money. Either way, Avrils situation will be great to watch this off season.

February 26th, 2012, 3:25 am
QB Coach

Backus will probably be brought back on a 2 year deal. I'd like to keep Tulloch and Wright if we can sign them to decent deals. 3-4 years each. Even if we keep Wright, I'd like to add a corner in the draft.

Avril is important to the team but we shouldn't have to break the bank on him. I agree with what most people are saying. Set a spending limit on him and if he won't take the deal, tag and work it out later or if we get a great deal, trade him.

Hill has said he wants to be back so I expect him back. Stanton will probably look for playing time elsewhere, but if he comes back no big deal.

Kevin Smith should stick around at least until we see where Mikel and Best are at in terms of rehab.

February 26th, 2012, 12:16 pm
Team MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Avril is important to the team but we shouldn't have to break the bank on him. I agree with what most people are saying. Set a spending limit on him and if he won't take the deal, tag and work it out later or if we get a great deal, trade him.

I agree and think it can be as simple as this.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

February 26th, 2012, 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]