View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
 Free Agency 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Free Agency
Jenkins falling out of the first round would have little to do with his spat with his agent. It's just another occurrence among many that raises a red flag about this kid. However, there are some reports that Jenkins decided he wanted to sign with a smaller agency, and it was he that broke off the deal.

Tough to know what the truth is here. Agents are liars, but Jenkins certainly hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt with his past.

April 8th, 2012, 10:27 am
Veteran General Manager

The Legend wrote:
billy: you cant say that without knowing the reasons behind jenkins getting fired...the agent doesnt HAVE to represent jenkins

Your right. He doesn't have to represent Jenkins. But, he should have decided that long before now. By him deciding to dump Jenkins now, his draft stock is going down like a brick in water. There is no reason the agent couldn't have waited until at least 1 minute after Jenkins got drafted to dump him. That way, the agent's decision to dump Jenkins wouldn't have affected Jenkins draft stock.

I'm just saying that if Jenkins doesn't go in the 1st round now, Jenkins has grounds for a lawsuit.

April 8th, 2012, 3:49 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
billy: you cant say that without knowing the reasons behind jenkins getting fired...the agent doesnt HAVE to represent jenkins

Your right. He doesn't have to represent Jenkins. But, he should have decided that long before now. By him deciding to dump Jenkins now, his draft stock is going down like a brick in water. There is no reason the agent couldn't have waited until at least 1 minute after Jenkins got drafted to dump him. That way, the agent's decision to dump Jenkins wouldn't have affected Jenkins draft stock.

I'm just saying that if Jenkins doesn't go in the 1st round now, Jenkins has grounds for a lawsuit.

Based on what? There is NO GUARANTEE of any nature when a player decides to enter the draft that he is going to be one of the 256 players selected, let alone one of the first 32. He has ZERO grounds for a lawsuit.

April 8th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Based on what? There is NO GUARANTEE of any nature when a player decides to enter the draft that he is going to be one of the 256 players selected, let alone one of the first 32. He has ZERO grounds for a lawsuit.

He can base his arguments on projections. And most projections show him as a 1st round talent. After his agent fired him, he will be lucky to get drafted in the 2nd round now.

April 8th, 2012, 11:08 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
He can base his arguments on projections. And most projections show him as a 1st round talent. After his agent fired him, he will be lucky to get drafted in the 2nd round now.

Projections? C'mon Billy....that is NOT evidence. That is the purest form of hearsay in the world. I can't even believe you honestly think that some draft projections are evidence. #-o

April 9th, 2012, 6:51 am
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Projections? C'mon Billy....that is NOT evidence. That is the purest form of hearsay in the world. I can't even believe you honestly think that some draft projections are evidence. #-o

He is rated as the most talented CB in this draft. I know you are not stupid. So, you are apparently just playing Devil's advocate here. You know just as well as everyone else where his talent plus his character would have him drafted before his agent fired him. It won't take a rocket scientist to prove it.

April 10th, 2012, 3:25 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
It won't take a rocket scientist to prove it.

The best Lawyer on earth could spend a long time trying to prove it, and unless he could come up with empirical EVIDENCE that says this agent is tanking on purpose, Bailing at a critical time in an attept to injure the players financial viability... at a Steep cost to Himself (Hes worked this guy for years, and now wont get paid at the end of the line... lol) then you Might have a 1% chance of winning that case.

In the real world, you'd get laughed out of court. Pass me some of what you got there. :cheers:

April 10th, 2012, 3:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
... Jenkins has grounds for a lawsuit.

This is the problem with America. Anybody who feels they've been wronged in any little way runs out and finds some worthless, parasite attorney to file a lawsuit! Then some ambulance chasing scumbag takes the case and files some nuisance suit to tie up the courts and wastes everyones time. It's simply ridiculous! :\

Maybe we can get back on track with any kind of Free Agency discussion before Wags locks the thread.

April 10th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

He is rated as the most talented CB in this draft. I know you are not stupid. So, you are apparently just playing Devil's advocate here. You know just as well as everyone else where his talent plus his character would have him drafted before his agent fired him. It won't take a rocket scientist to prove it.

First off, he is NOT rated as the most talented CB in the draft. That goes to Morris Claiborne, who is without question the top CB rated and will be taken well ahead of Jenkins. Secondly, there were some teams who never put Jenkins name on their draft board based solely on his multiple arrests and being booted from a major college program.

And teams don't draft just talent. They draft people. And there are times when those talented people have issues that teams wish to avoid because it will limit their talent, or the opportunity to use that talent on the field.

A team is not going to remove Jenkins from their draft board, or lower his value, based SOLELY on what took place between him and his agent. It is based on an entire resume. That resume includes being kicked off of the University of Florida football team. That has nothing to do with the agent. This is not the first time a player and his agent have had a parting of the ways just prior to the draft. However, due to Jenkins high profile issues, it gets magnified by the press and the fans. Teams are very unlikely to change their position on him. Some teams may actually think more highly of him because they don't like dealing with Ben Dogra.....it's tough to tell.

But once again, you cannot use "projections" or "opinion" as evidence in a lawsuit. There are always, always, always players in the draft who are projected to be mid to late first round picks (exactly where Jenkins stock is considered to be by some analysts) who fall into the second or even third rounds. Whether it be injuries, lack of potential, character issues or otherwise, it happens all the time.

April 11th, 2012, 11:00 am
I'd like to clear up some things:

1) You CAN use projections and "opinion" as evidence in a lawsuit. Any draft expert can be paraded out there by the plaintiff and after establishing that they're an "expert" on the NFL draft their opinion would be used as evidence in court. However, then the defendant would get to parade their experts out there and make the exact opposite point. It happens all the time in civil suits, and its called having a "battle of the experts." All the Plaintiff has to prove is that it is more likely than not that the agents wrongful actions caused a damage to the plaintiff. That said;

2) What was the agents wrongful action? Any action is not a wrongful action even if it does damage to someone else. Business partners are allowed to walk away from very lucrative deals all the time just because they don't like the deal. That doesn't mean that the other partners can FORCE the guy to invest his money, and it doesn't mean that they can "sue" for those lost profits.

In order to win Jenkins would have to prove that the agent acted negligent, willful or wantonly, or intended to cause this harm for his own financial gain (to write a book, or to otherwise defraud Jenkins). If the agent said to Jenkins "give me 3 more % of your salary or I'm firing you, and if I fire you as a client no one will want to draft you, THEN Jenkins has a case. Short of that, probably not.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on April 12th, 2012, 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

April 11th, 2012, 1:24 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Getting back on point...

The Free Press wrote:
Lions' DeAndre Levy to sign tender offer this weekend

6:02 PM, April 10, 2012
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Lions linebacker DeAndre Levy / JULIAN H. GONZALEZ/DFP

DeAndre Levy plans to sign his restricted free agent tender when he returns to Detroit this weekend for the start of the Lions' off-season conditioning program, a person close to the linebacker said today.

Levy, one of 10 returning starters on the Lions defense, will take part in the voluntary workouts, which begin Monday.

The Lions gave Levy a second-round tender worth $1.92 million before the start of free agency last month. A third-round pick out of Wisconsin in 2009, Levy will be an unrestricted free agent next year.

Levy has started 37 of 43 games in his first three seasons and finished second on the team with 109 tackles last year.

The Lions have two more unrestricted free agents, offensive tackle Corey Hilliard and defensive tackle Sammie Hill. Neither player has signed his original-round tender (fourth for Hill, sixth for Hilliard), though both are expected back with the Lions for 2012.

If any of their restricted free agents sign elsewhere, the Lions would have the right to match the contract offer or receive a corresponding draft pick as compensation.

I'm a little surprised that Hill isn't getting better offers over our 4th round tender.

April 12th, 2012, 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Now that the CBA has lowered the $ amount of every rookie, the draft picks are much more valuable.

April 12th, 2012, 8:00 am
IMO we've done a good job at concealing SLH. I think he should be starting on approximately 1/3 the teams in the league, yet he's more of an unknown due to Suh, Fairley, and Williams.

And I could be wrong, but I thought that the CBA just lowered the amount that the top 20 or so get, with the biggest corrective action being brought about in the top 10. I really don't think it has much effect on lower end 3rd round and later rookies, but I've been wrong before.

April 12th, 2012, 8:51 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO we've done a good job at concealing SLH. I think he should be starting on approximately 1/3 the teams in the league, yet he's more of an unknown due to Suh, Fairley, and Williams.

And I could be wrong, but I thought that the CBA just lowered the amount that the top 20 or so get, with the biggest corrective action being brought about in the top 10. I really don't think it has much effect on lower end 3rd round and later rookies, but I've been wrong before.

AFAIK you are right on both accounts.

April 12th, 2012, 6:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
All State

Just a crazy thought here that might make sense to the "Burleson Sucks" Club, would it be worth signing Braylon Edwards to a cheap 1 year prove it "redemption contract"? I noticed that PFT had mentioned that he's still a FA. Give him a shot to be the no. 3, tell him he's on a short leash, and see if being in Michigan and knowing that he doesn't have a long line of suitors will make him dig in and work hard.

April 23rd, 2012, 2:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next