View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Free Agency 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Free Agency
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
The Barry Sanders example was good. However, it failed to mention that it was the LAST STRAW for Barry. He was good friends with Glover, which is what upset him the most. But to compare letting Glover go to Burelson or Williams is not a fair comparison. Neither Burleson nor Williams are in their primes, and neither are close to being Pro Bowl level talents. Glover was. He was the best lineman the Lions had at the time, not an OK receiver who is now likely third on the depth chart, or a DT who is now likely fourth on the depth chart.

the situations are actually very similar. glover was entering his age 35 season when the lions let him go. true he was a probowler in his last lions season but he only played 14 more nfl games after he left. the lions replaced him with a stopgap for a season then successfully transitioned to Mike Compton. From a pure football standpoint letting go of glover was the right move but it ended up costing barry sanders. burleson and williams will be 31 and 32 in the coming season and most likely have more football left then glover did. (BTW - M2K williams is 4th on the depth chart at DT on the team? thats a total joke and utterly ridiculous statement - watch a game Sammie Hill isnt god and Fairley has proven nothing, williams will start. )

Sammie Lee Hill is no good? Then why did he lead the teams DTs in QB pressures per snap played? C'mon smart guy...tell me how that is? BECAUSE HE CAN RUSH THE PASSER! Something Corey Williams isn't good at. Same thing with Fairley. He is capable of shooting through double teams, or overpowering single blockers and pressuring the QB. Corey is primarily a run stopper, not an interior pass rusher.

Fairley, should his foot be healthy, is a much more versatile player than Williams. Hill plays the pass better than Williams, but struggles finding the ball carrier in the running game more so than Williams. However, Hill is younger and in my opinion, underused, mostly because Williams makes so much more. Give them equal pay and I'll bet Hill gets the nod over Williams on most any team.

April 25th, 2012, 8:19 am
League MVP

i like sammie hill i said he isnt god (i agree he is good) - corey will be 2 on the depth chart, hill will be no 4 on the depth chart

April 25th, 2012, 7:00 pm
Varsity Captain

Has anyone given thought to the idea of trading for Umenyiora? His salary this season would be meager(4 mil) compared to the 10+ mil its going to cost us for Avril, and Osi would probably love the idea of playing with Suh, Fairley, KVB and the rest of our line.
See if we can dangle Avril for either a starting corner, or a mid level pick? Perhaps to Dallas for Jenkins? Maybe Martin could fleece them again :)

April 27th, 2012, 4:45 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

is he a cover 2 guy? or a man on man cover guy? Im thinkin he's a cover 2 guy. if thats the case he wouldnt be the best fit with us. we need physical bump and run type CB's

April 27th, 2012, 5:00 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
is he a cover 2 guy? or a man on man cover guy? Im thinkin he's a cover 2 guy. if thats the case he wouldnt be the best fit with us. we need physical bump and run type CB's

He's talking about a DE, not a CB...

April 27th, 2012, 11:27 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Thank you...got him confused with that cb that was a raider a couple a years back.

April 28th, 2012, 10:46 am
Varsity Captain

Any guesses about what is going on with the two safeties, Bell and OJ? Also what's up with the Boys and Jenkins?

I really wanted to trade for Osi but the more I look into it I think Willie might be bready to break out. Higher upside at this point at a great value. He's gonna have to cut those locks, cause grabbing at his hair as he goes by is the only way they will be able to stop him.

Come on Cliff, get with the program!

Last edited by Boz on April 29th, 2012, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 29th, 2012, 1:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Pretty sure Bell was already signed, but OJ is still an option I would be happy with them taking.

I agree about Osi and Willie Young. KLoJack has played good for us as well. Id rather us play out this season with the DEs we have, and then if we feel the need draft 1 high next year if needed so eh can grow with the young team rather than trading away assets for a slightly older player. (note: not old, just older).

April 29th, 2012, 1:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
Pretty sure Bell was already signed, but OJ is still an option I would be happy with them taking.

I agree about Osi and Willie Young. KLoJack has played good for us as well. Id rather us play out this season with the DEs we have, and then if we feel the need draft 1 high next year if needed so eh can grow with the young team rather than trading away assets for a slightly older player. (note: not old, just older).

Let's not forget that the Lions signed Everette Brown too. He was pretty highly touted coming out of college, but hasn't put it all together yet. I think playing with KVB and the boys might help him better reach his potential. It helped LoJack.

April 30th, 2012, 7:25 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Let's not forget that the Lions signed Everette Brown too. He was pretty highly touted coming out of college, but hasn't put it all together yet. I think playing with KVB and the boys might help him better reach his potential. It helped LoJack.

Good point, forgot about Brown which is basically the LoJack Story pt.2

Also heard this morning that giants offered Osi multiple contracts with the highest being in the 5mil/yr range, and he counter-offered 10 mil per. For 10 million per im not even remotely interested and even if that is a negotiating tactic it proabably means he wont be happy with less than 7-8.

April 30th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Good point, forgot about Brown which is basically the LoJack Story pt.2

Also heard this morning that giants offered Osi multiple contracts with the highest being in the 5mil/yr range, and he counter-offered 10 mil per. For 10 million per im not even remotely interested and even if that is a negotiating tactic it proabably means he wont be happy with less than 7-8.

I think 6.5-7 is reasonable for Osi though. That seems like a number that we're willing to pay Avril, but Avril seems to want more like $9.5-10.5 range.

April 30th, 2012, 9:17 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

I think 6.5-7 is reasonable for Osi though. That seems like a number that we're willing to pay Avril, but Avril seems to want more like $9.5-10.5 range.

I'd pay Avril $10M per year before I'd pay Osi that much. But in truth, I wouldn't pay either of them that much.

I think Avril should accept a deal from the Lions that would be $42.5M over five years. Osi should take the $5M and shut up. He is well past his prime.

May 1st, 2012, 9:03 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

I'd pay Avril $10M per year before I'd pay Osi that much. But in truth, I wouldn't pay either of them that much.

I think Avril should accept a deal from the Lions that would be $42.5M over five years. Osi should take the $5M and shut up. He is well past his prime.

Here's both sides (maybe) of the story...

ESPN.com wrote:
Osi Umenyiora laughs at offers

Updated: April 30, 2012, 6:52 PM ET
By Ohm Youngmisuk | ESPN New York.com

The situation between Osi Umenyiora and the New York Giants is starting to get contentious again.

After general manager Jerry Reese said on Saturday that the team had offered Umenyiora an extension two years in a row, the defensive end responded by saying he was offered "half" of the guaranteed money linebacker/defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka recently received in an extension.

"Last year I was offered incentives," Umenyiora wrote in an email to the New York Daily News. "This year they offered me in guaranteed money, HALF of what they just gave Kiwi guaranteed. HALF. I'm not making that up."

"Then Jerry tells the world they offered me an extension and I turned it down," he continued. "And I look like a greedy pig for turning it down. Hilarious."

Kiwanuka recently signed a three-year contract extension through 2015 worth $21.75 million with $10.95 million in guaranteed money, according to reports.

Umenyiora, 30, is entering the final year of his contract worth just under $4 million. He wants to remain with the team but does not want to play under his current deal. He has long been seeking a new contract to replace the seven-year, $41 million contract he signed in 2005. Umenyiora is looking for an extension in the neighborhood of the contracts recently signed by Philadelphia's Trent Cole and Indianapolis' Robert Mathis.

Cole signed a four-year extension worth $48.525 million, including $15 million guaranteed. Mathis' new four-year extension is worth $36 million with $17 million guaranteed.

So clearly, if the Giants offered him half of Kiwanuka's $10.95 million in guaranteed money, Umenyiora was never going to agree to the deal. Umenyiora said last week that he did not believe the Giants would be able to pay him the extension he is seeking since they will have to eventually take care of several young players like Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz and Jason Pierre-Paul.

He suggested that the Giants should see if they could trade him during the draft for perhaps a pick in return. But the Giants did not deal him nor did they draft a defensive end. When asked if he considered dealing Umenyiora, Reese said, "all options are open."

"Our first choice with respect to Osi is that he will play for the Giants and retire a Giant," Reese said. "That is what we would like to happen. Osi has been offered an extension two years in a row now so we would still like to make it work. Hopefully it will work out."

The two sides somehow made things work last year despite Umenyiora alleging that Reese had promised to rework his contract in an affidavit filed as part of a lawsuit on the players' behalf against the NFL during the lockout. Umenyiora sat out practice for the first two weeks of training camp while hoping for a new deal. The team briefly allowed Umenyiora to seek a trade, seeking a first-round pick in return, before the defensive end eventually decided to undergo minor knee surgery.

He ultimately turned down the Giants' offer to add incentives to his contract and had 12.5 sacks in 13 games -- including the Giants' Super Bowl postseason run.

"Would I want to [stay]? I think it would be ideal," Umenyiora said last Wednesday. "I think I would if things could be worked out. But is that going to happen? I really don't think so."

"I doubt it because of the situation that they have with Jason [Pierre-Paul], Justin [Tuck], Victor [Cruz] and Hakeem [Nicks] coming up [eventually]," Umenyiora added. "I feel like I'm one of the very good pass-rushers in the NFL, I think my statistics have proven that. Are they going to be able to pay me as such? I seriously doubt that."

Umenyiora said he wasn't sure what will happen this summer if he does not have a new contract by training camp.

"So what do I do? Do I suck it up and come back and put my tail between legs like I've always done for these last couple of years," Umenyiora said last Wednesday about the possibility of not having a new deal entering this season. "Do I do that again this year? Or do I go out there and try to do what's best for me one time? It's unfortunate that it's come to this but it's the business that we are in."

In his email to the Daily News, Umenyiora said he will be "silent" on the topic of his contract going forward.

"I will be going completely silent after I send you this because it's obvious talking does nothing! Things will be very interesting, that's for sure."

Part of Avril's issue I'm sure is he's seeing these numbers and wants even better money.

May 1st, 2012, 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

I also forgot about E.Brown and for some reason I was think that Osi was much younger than 30. Don't know who I was thinking about.

If Brown can be coached up like Lojack and Young I will be pretty happy with our DE crew. If I would have known all that info I would have been alot less stressed during the draft #-o

I still want Cliff to snap into focus and admit to himself that nobody is going to give him a contract at $10mil per year. Take 4 years at $24 mil with $10mil guarateed, part of it as a signing bonus and throw in some incentives. Done deal. Take the saved money and sign one of the safeties and go after Jenkins.

May 1st, 2012, 1:51 pm
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

I wouldn't mind paying Osi $6-7 for 2-3 years, with a decent amount guaranteed. I think he's worth it, and I think he has the potential to at least perform up to Avril's abilities on our OL.

May 1st, 2012, 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next