View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 3:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Free Agency 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Free Agency
UK Lion wrote:
I think I'm one of the few on this site who actually rated Eric Wright - I thought he was a good player (maybe I've just seen too many Travis Fishers roll through town!). But even I think the deal he got from the Bucs was too much. If we needed to pay that to keep him here, best that he left.

Your not the only one. When I heard how much the Bucs paid him, I thought, " Better them than us".

As far as McNiels Neck injury goes, I think it was somewhat embellished on his part. After the way AJ Smith screwed with him and VJax, I think he was less than pleased to be a Charger last year. I think he made a mountain out of a mole hill. Can't say that I blame him. AJ Smith is a rectum.

March 15th, 2012, 10:07 am
Player of the Year - Defense

My only worries about McNeill isn't just the neck injuries (2 fusions) but the Spinal Stenosis, which is the narrowing of the spine. He's gotten worse over time, so hopefully our doctors are very thorough.

March 15th, 2012, 10:15 am
Veteran General Manager

Quote:
NFL | Eric Winston to visit four teams
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:11:33 -0700

Free-agent OT Eric Winston (Texans) is expected to visit the Baltimore Ravens, Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs and St. Louis Rams. "I want to win right now," Winston said Wednesday, March 14. "That's what's important to me."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz1pCBBP4Zo

Quote:
NFL | Eric Winston says ankle is fine
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:11:09 -0700

Free-agent OT Eric Winston (Texans) (ankle) said Wednesday, March 14, that he had his ankle scoped five weeks ago, but he has recovered fast. "It's fine," Winston said.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz1pCBS3t3c

March 15th, 2012, 10:23 am
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
I think I'm one of the few on this site who actually rated Eric Wright - I thought he was a good player (maybe I've just seen too many Travis Fishers roll through town!). But even I think the deal he got from the Bucs was too much. If we needed to pay that to keep him here, best that he left.

You weren't alone. I thought Eric Wright played OK, but he was inconsistent. He would have been much better as our nickel corner, if we had someone better than him on our roster. That wasn't the case. Smith and Berry weren't better than Wright. That said, Tampa Bay overpaid him, as well as the others they've signed so far. They are the new Redskins, thinking they will buy a championship in free agency. It won't work.

March 15th, 2012, 11:25 am
Stadium Announcer

Evan Silva from pro football talk says Garrard might want to be a Lion.

With Stanton looking to go to the Jets, and backups like Orton and Campbell getting some cash, Hill might leave too.

Garrard might be our best option?

Article read:
"With Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton receiving interest from the Rams and Jets, respectively, the Lions are currently without a backup quarterback for Matthew Stafford.

Free agent David Garrard could be an option. Garrard’s agent told MLive.com’s Anwar Richardson that his client plans to start arranging free agent visits on Thursday, and the Lions are among the teams Garrard is considering.

“If the Lions are interested in David’s services, we will listen,” agent Al Irby said. “… Once Peyton [Manning] makes a decision, based on recent activity, David will be a hot quarterback.”

Garrard, who has started 76 career games, sat out all of last season while rehabbing a bad back. He declared himself 100 percent recovered in late February, and should resurface this year as one of the top backup quarterback candidates available on the free agent market."

March 15th, 2012, 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

GridIronHeroes wrote:
Evan Silva from pro football talk says Garrard might want to be a Lion.

With Stanton looking to go to the Jets, and backups like Orton and Campbell getting some cash, Hill might leave too.

Garrard might be our best option?

Article read:
"With Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton receiving interest from the Rams and Jets, respectively, the Lions are currently without a backup quarterback for Matthew Stafford.

Free agent David Garrard could be an option. Garrard’s agent told MLive.com’s Anwar Richardson that his client plans to start arranging free agent visits on Thursday, and the Lions are among the teams Garrard is considering.

“If the Lions are interested in David’s services, we will listen,” agent Al Irby said. “… Once Peyton [Manning] makes a decision, based on recent activity, David will be a hot quarterback.”

Garrard, who has started 76 career games, sat out all of last season while rehabbing a bad back. He declared himself 100 percent recovered in late February, and should resurface this year as one of the top backup quarterback candidates available on the free agent market."

I would way prefer to keep Hill to back up Stafford. I don't want any part of Garrard and we know what Hill can do in addition to his having already been here a number of years. Garrard has been out of the game for awhile and wasn't playing all that well beforehand anyway.

March 15th, 2012, 12:48 pm
Stadium Announcer

I agree... Hill is our best option.

I heard a few Detroit writers saying he wants to test the market, and I wonder where he is on our payroll priority list.

March 15th, 2012, 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
All State

Garrard doesn't appeal to me at all. He doesn't have the arm strength to make CJ effective. At his peak he was an effective game manager, but that's about it. Garrard would be Culpepper 2.0. They need to lock down Hill. If it's a money issue pay the man. He is in no different of a position in St. Louis. Bradford isn't going to sit down for Hill to start either.

March 15th, 2012, 1:07 pm
Hall of Fame Player

ESPN.com wrote:
Lions aren't assuming return of Jeff Backus
March, 15, 2012 / 10:00 AM ET
By Kevin Seifert

The Detroit Lions' decision to bring free agent left tackle Marcus McNeill for a visit reminds us that, if nothing else, the return of veteran Jeff Backus is not a foregone conclusion. So does the fact that Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams is taking a visit to Detroit on Thursday as well.

Backus had surgery in January to repair a torn biceps muscle and is a 34-year-old free agent. The Lions know they will have to move on at some point, but most indications suggested that it wouldn't happen this year. Given his age and recent surgery, Backus doesn't figure to be swamped with offers in the coming days, and for now the Lions are at least reviewing their options.

McNeill is an intriguing player with a long medical file whom the Lions almost certainly would want their medical staff to check out. A top prospect in 2006, McNeill's draft status fell because he had been diagnosed with spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spine. He didn't miss a game in his first two NFL seasons, making the Pro Bowl in 2006 and 2007, but he has now had two fusion surgeries to repair injuries in his neck. The last, to correct an injury that cost him the final seven games of 2011, came in December.

That history would give any team reason for pause, and it's why the Chargers released him earlier this week. But players with the physical attributes to play left tackle are hard to find, and McNeill has them. Given their precarious situation at such an important position, the Lions owe it to themselves to make their own medical judgment on his future.

Adams, meanwhile, is ranked as the fifth-best tackle available in the draft by ESPN analyst Mel Kiper.

I will not be upset if we part ways with Backus and I'm certainly not interested in retaining him at a high price.

March 15th, 2012, 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Detroit Lions.com wrote:
S Oshiomogho Atogwe and LB Tim Shaw set to visit Lions next week
Posted by ttwentyman on March 15, 2012 – 3:14 pm

The Lions will continue to look for ways to improve their football team by hosting free agent linebacker Tim Shaw and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe next week, according to league sources.

Atogwe, 30, spent his first six NFL seasons with the Rams (2005-10) where he earned the reputation of being a ball hawk. He led the NFC with eight interceptions in 2007 and was the Rams’ defensive MVP in 2008 after an 85-tackle, five-interception season.

Atogwe played in 13 games (eight starts) for the Redskins last season after signing a five-year, $26 million deal. He battled hamstring, knee and toe injuries that kept him in and out of the line-up all season.

The Redskins released him earlier this week. He’s also scheduled to visit the Vikings.

The Lions were devastated by injuries at the safety position last season and Atogwe would add veteran experience and starting experience to the unit.

Shaw has started only one game in his career, but is a special teams ace with 52 special teams tackles over the last three years, which ranks in the top three in the NFL.

He played running back and linebacker locally at Livonia Clarenceville and ended his high school career as the state’s leading rusher with 7,611 yards and 131 touchdowns.

Shaw played at Penn State and was a fifth-round draft pick by the Panthers in 2007 and would instantly improve the Lions’ special team’s unit.

Lions reserve linebackers Bobby Carpenter, Isaiah Ekejiuba and Ashlee Palmer are also unrestricted free agents.

The Lions placed a second-round tender offer on starting outside linebacker DeAndre Levy and Justin Durant, the team’s starter on the other side, is under contract for 2012. Doug Hogue, the Lions’ fifth-round pick last season, is expected to contribute more in 2012.

The Lions are also talking to unrestricted free agent linebacker Stephen Tulloch about re-signing with the team.

March 15th, 2012, 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... eph_4.html

Tulloch wants more than D'Qwell Jackson. I doubt he gets that from us.

March 15th, 2012, 6:25 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/03/detroit_lions_linebacker_steph_4.html

Tulloch wants more than D'Qwell Jackson. I doubt he gets that from us.

If that's the case he can go elsewhere. He did not do enough to earn that kind of payday from this team. I would prefer they draft a MLB in round 2 or 3.

March 15th, 2012, 7:32 pm
QB Coach

I just realized the article has some what of a contradiction in it. It says Tulloch wants more than Jackson but wants at least $6M a year. DQwell's averages $8.5 a year. Either way, he's not getting that much. Maybe...maybe $4.5 a season for 3 years.

March 15th, 2012, 8:09 pm
QB Coach

Apparently we signed a CFL player who was a DE but will be a FB for us, James Bryant.

March 15th, 2012, 8:30 pm
Team MVP

Just re-signed Eric Coleman to a one-year.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 15th, 2012, 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next