View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 12:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Free Agency 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Post Re: Free Agency
kdsberman wrote:
Just re-signed Eric Coleman to a one-year.

profootballtalk.com wrote:
Erik Coleman returns to Lions on one-year pact
Posted by Evan Silva on March 15, 2012, 9:12 PM EDT
Detroit Lions 2011 Headshots Getty Images

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports that the Lions have agreed to terms with safety Erik Coleman on a one-year contract.

Coleman, 30 in May, lost a training camp battle against Amari Spievey to be Detroit’s starting strong safety last year. Coleman played in four games on special teams before a broken leg sent him to injured reserve in October.

Coleman figures to be no more than a special teamer in 2012.

March 15th, 2012, 10:36 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Stanton's gone--signed with the Jets.

March 16th, 2012, 3:41 pm
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:

I know he wasnt going to have a career here, so I wish him the best.

Hopefully Shaun Hill doesnt get signed away, or out backup QB situation will be something they need to look into.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 16th, 2012, 3:44 pm
Bubbles the Lion

thelomasbrowns wrote:

I really thought he would wait until Hill resigned with us to find himself a gig, but I can't blame him for improving his chances of starting.

Really, the Jets are a great place for a backup QB right now. A slow start or bad year out of Sanchez and you could see people clamoring for Stanton to start.

March 16th, 2012, 3:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

i would start him over sanchez. but then again, im a huge homer

March 16th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Team MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
i would start him over sanchez. but then again, im a huge homer

It doesnt take much to be able to start over Sanchez, in my opinion.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 16th, 2012, 6:06 pm
League MVP

the jets must be paying Stanton back for that win he delivered for them in 2010 when Stafford went down late in the game

March 16th, 2012, 8:10 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Detroit Lions.com wrote:
Twentyman: Lions' quiet approach to free agency isn't a bad thing

By Tim Twentyman
Posted 21 hours ago

Weeks ago, Lions general manager Martin Mayhew and president Tom Lewand tried to warn fans not to get too excited during the first few days of free agency.

At the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last month, Mayhew said the team wasn't going to jump into the fray early on to be spenders.

"For us, this year, we don't anticipate being in the top part of free agency market, but we do plan on being active and trying to find value there," he said.

Lewand alerted season ticket holders during a fan forum last month that the team wasn't going to be a major player early in the process.

"I think patience is an incredible virtue when you're looking to put together a roster," he said. "You have to have a sense of urgency about getting better on a daily basis, and I know we have that, but you also have to be patient knowing we have a limited number of resources."

The Lions don't have a whole lot of cap space to make huge deals, anyways, but even if they did, they wouldn't overspend early in the process. It's just not this regime's style.

Teams involved in the early portion of free agency almost always pay too much.

"If you are patient, you can sometimes get a lot more value for your cap dollars than you can if you charge out there on the first day of free agency and make the big splash signings," Lewand said.

Mayhew and Lewand have been more focused on retaining their own players they are comfortable with and fit a very specific role.

The Lions re-signed Calvin Johnson to an eight-year, $132 million contract Wednesday that will keep him a Lions through 2019. They put the franchise tags on defensive end Cliff Avril and continue to work on a long-term contract with him.

The team also hopes to re-sign unrestricted linebacker Stephen Tulloch and left tackle Jeff Backus.

But still, there are some fans pulling out their hair at the lack of free agent signings coming out of Allen Park. What those fans need to realize is no news early in free agency is often times good news.

The Lions are now in a position -- much like the Packers and Steelers and other of the NFL's consistently winning teams -- to add complimentary pieces around their core players, take care of their own free agents and not overspend in free agency.

Mayhew has shown over the last three years that he has a pretty good grasp of matching talent with salary.

The Lions sat back and waited during the abbreviated free agency period last period last year and were able to hook Tulloch, linebacker Justin Durant and cornerback Eric Wright.

Wright is a perfect case study of what I'm talking about.

The Lions paid Wright $3.5 million last year, and in return got a steady cornerback who started every game for them last season and chipped in four interceptions.

Wright, an unrestricted free agent this offseason, recently signed a five-year contract with the Buccaneers worth $37.5 million, according to reports. That deal will pay him about double annually what he made with the Lions last year.

Wright was a solid starter, but he allowed a league-high 75 passes to be completed on him, according to ESPN stats, and was inconsistent at times.

Would it have been worth it for the Lions to more than double his salary to re-sign him?

What's the cliché? Rome wasn't built in a day. Well, consistently winning football teams aren't built in the first few days of free agency, either.

What Mayhew and Lewand have done has been working so far so I'm hehind them 100%! The Eric Wright example is a good one.

March 17th, 2012, 9:52 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Quote:
Bucs sign CB Eric Wright (5 years, $37.5M): MILLEN ON LSD-LACED KIELBASA Grade
This is the worst signing in NFL history. That sentence is not an exaggeration.

Eric Wright is terrible. I gave him 1.5 stars in my 2012 NFL Free Agent Rankings for a reason. He's been torched numerous times per week over the past few seasons. Detroit and Cleveland fans know how bad Wright is, and the Buccaneers are about to find out.

Seriously, what the hell was Mark Dominik thinking? He couldn't have been sober when he made this transaction. I refuse to believe it. A plausible explanation is that Matt Millen snuck into his office, strangled him, shoved some LSD-laced kielbasa into the general manager's back side, and then slipped Wright's agent's number into his hand. When Dominik awoke, he was still delirious, so thought that paying $37.5 million to one of the worst cornerbacks on the market was a great idea.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. You heard it here first.

From Walter football's free agent grades. I like that he uses Millen as a grade below an F and this year has added some um weird lower grades.

March 17th, 2012, 5:57 pm
QB Coach

Eric Winston to the Chiefs

March 17th, 2012, 7:19 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Hill resigned for 2 years.

March 17th, 2012, 7:33 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Backus also resigned for 2 years.

March 17th, 2012, 8:12 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I like both signings. I'm assuming Hill's is around 2 million and Backus' around 5 million. More than that has got to be pushing it.

March 17th, 2012, 8:58 pm
RIP Killer

If Backus was resigned for two years, one would have to imagine the chance of signing Marcus McNeill is about nil. I do really like the Hill signing. He's a damn good backup to have.

March 17th, 2012, 9:01 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Draft an OT, dump Gos, and move the guy to LT after a year or two. That's what I would do.

March 17th, 2012, 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next