View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Free Agency 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Free Agency
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Draft an OT, dump Gos, and move the guy to LT after a year or two. That's what I would do.

I think they'll sign Geoff Schwartz to play RT. He had a good visit and he's going through his rounds now. If they draft one, he'll be able to sit and learn and step in later. Fox is still a question mark because he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

March 17th, 2012, 9:19 pm
Veteran General Manager

Quote:
Lions | May meet with Eric Winston
Sat, 17 Mar 2012 08:04:56 -0700

The Detroit Lions are scheduled to meet with free-agent OT Eric Winston (Texans) Monday, March 19, if he does not sign with the Kansas City Chiefs this weekend.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz1pQcC7wr1

March 17th, 2012, 9:38 pm

BillySims wrote:
Quote:
Lions | May meet with Eric Winston
Sat, 17 Mar 2012 08:04:56 -0700

The Detroit Lions are scheduled to meet with free-agent OT Eric Winston (Texans) Monday, March 19, if he does not sign with the Kansas City Chiefs this weekend.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2#ixzz1pQcC7wr1

He already signed with the Chiefs.

March 17th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Veteran General Manager

Disregard previous post.

Quote:
Chiefs | Eric Winston signed
Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:47:36 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs have signed free-agent OT Eric Winston (Texans). Terms of the deal are not available.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0#ixzz1pQcoEWze

March 17th, 2012, 9:41 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Quote:
Winston gets $22 million over four years

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT

Getty Images
The Chiefs have a new right tackle. And their new right tackle has a new contract.

And we have a league source who knows what the contract is worth. And here’s the part where we tell you what it’s worth.

Four years, $22 million.

The specific details will come later, and we’ll break it all down then. For the Chiefs, it’s a relatively inexpensive investment in a quality player who can help shore up a position of need.

The Texans cut Winston on Tuesday. He drew interest from several teams.

March 17th, 2012, 10:14 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Detroit News wrote:
March 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Jeff Backus, Shaun Hill re-sign with Lions
By Chris McCosky
The Detroit News

Jeff Backus, middle, reportedly signed a two-year deal worth $10 million. (Daniel Mears/Detroit News)

Allen Park — The Lions have locked up two of their top three remaining free agents, signing backup quarterback Shaun Hill and starting left tackle Jeff Backus to two-year deals.

Backus' deal is worth $10 million, according to ESPN. The financial terms on Hill's deal were not immediately known.

The signing of Hill was most likely hastened by quarterback Drew Stanton's decision on Friday to sign with the Jets. Hill was by far the best backup quarterback remaining on the free-agent market.

Hill had met with the St. Louis Rams on Thursday and Friday. It is unknown what, if any, offer the Rams made, but the Lions moved quickly to keep him here.

He started 10 games in 2010 and threw for 2,686 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Backus, who will be 35 and entering his 12th season with the Lions, had said after the season that he wanted to continue his career, and continue it with the Lions. There was some concern, though, when the first three days of free agency went by without a deal and the Lions reached out to free agent tackles Marcus McNeill and Eric Winston.

McNeill visited Friday and left without a contract and Winston, who was supposed to visit on Monday, signed with the Chiefs on Saturday.

That leaves starting middle linebacker Stephen Tulloch unsigned among the free agents general manager Martin Mayhew singled out as priorities.

Cornerback Eric Wright signed with Tampa Bay, defensive end Cliff Avril was franchise tagged, and Hill and Backus have signed.

It has been a slow market for linebackers and most of the teams that had big money to spend have spent it. Tulloch was seeking an average of at least $6 million per season and thus far, nobody seems willing to bite at that price.

$10 Mil for Backus for 2 years does not sound like a good deal to me! Not for a 35 year old coming off surgery who was never any better than an average LT in the first place. That's to much cap space in 2012.

m2karateman wrote:
If Backus was resigned for two years, one would have to imagine the chance of signing Marcus McNeill is about nil. I do really like the Hill signing. He's a damn good backup to have.

Agree on both points. McNeill even said he wouldn't come to Detroit if Backus stayed.

March 18th, 2012, 7:00 am
Profile WWW

LionFan57 wrote:
$10 Mil for Backus for 2 years does not sound like a good deal to me! Not for a 35 year old coming off surgery who was never any better than an average LT in the first place. That's to much cap space in 2012.

Two things: As much as people on this board hate him, Backus has still been a starting-quality LT for a long time. That guarantees him a certain level of compensation. Second, look at Winston's contract to play RT--he's getting more per year on average at a less important position.

March 18th, 2012, 8:59 am
Varsity Captain

I don't know how this fits under the cap but I'd offer Tulloch 4yrs @ $5mil each with a $5mil signing bonus.

Add in some incentives and/or performance bonuses (same thing?).

I don't want to lose Tulloch because it would just create another position that needs to be filled.

We can also go get Wimbley and put Levy on the pine for now. JMO.

Also what's up with this CB that Allenslions is talking about? Jason Lacey(I think).

Laron Landry? Do we take him or Atowge(sp?)?

For the money he got, we should have kept after Winston. Mike Tolbert is still out there. What's he looking for? To be a featured back? At this time I would think that he would be just that on our roster.

Do these things, if we can afford it and the draft ought to be a sweet time.

Just sign Tulloch! I don't want to take a step backwards from last year.

Ok, what's wrong with my plan? Leter' fly...lol

March 18th, 2012, 10:03 am
RIP Killer

Boz wrote:
I don't know how this fits under the cap but I'd offer Tulloch 4yrs @ $5mil each with a $5mil signing bonus.

Add in some incentives and/or performance bonuses (same thing?).

I don't want to lose Tulloch because it would just create another position that needs to be filled.

We can also go get Wimbley and put Levy on the pine for now. JMO.

Also what's up with this CB that Allenslions is talking about? Jason Lacey(I think).

Laron Landry? Do we take him or Atowge(sp?)?

For the money he got, we should have kept after Winston. Mike Tolbert is still out there. What's he looking for? To be a featured back? At this time I would think that he would be just that on our roster.

Do these things, if we can afford it and the draft ought to be a sweet time.

Just sign Tulloch! I don't want to take a step backwards from last year.

Ok, what's wrong with my plan? Leter' fly...lol

First off, Kamerion Wimbley is a 34 OLB, not a 43 weakside backer. He's a pass rusher, so he doesn't fit this defense. Jacob Lacey is the corner that Indianapolis just released. He'd be a pretty good signing if they can get him for cheap. The Lions are trying to sign Tulloch, but they shouldn't pay him whatever he wants. He wasn't that spectacular last season, at all. He was good, but certainly didn't meet expectations. I suspect the Lions are basically alluding to that during negotiations. If he wants a huge payday, let him play somewhere else. Keith Brooking can come here and play on a one year deal and do just as good of a job.

March 18th, 2012, 11:51 am

No MLB has been signed yet. They all want big $ and no team is willing to pay that much yet. Once the first is signed, the rest will follow. The Lions have their eye on David Hawthorne if they lose Tulloch. He's taller, and just as instinctual. Not as good a pass rusher, but decent in coverage. For the Wide 9, he has the ability to drop back deep in the middle.

Tully is asking Philly for $8 million a year on a long-term deal. People don't want to give Avril that much, but its ok for Tully? Pass.

As for Backus's contract. A left tackle for $5 million isn't a bad signing. Winston is a zone blocking RT and he's getting a little more than $5 a year. LT is the money spot, not RT, and especially not ZBS RTs.

March 18th, 2012, 1:03 pm
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:

Two things: As much as people on this board hate him, Backus has still been a starting-quality LT for a long time. That guarantees him a certain level of compensation. Second, look at Winston's contract to play RT--he's getting more per year on average at a less important position.

1) Yes, Backus is starting quality and yes he's durable (blah, blah, blah) but he's AVERAGE at his job!!! And RARELY does he have a day that is above average and he has more days that are below average. As evidenced by practically every day he faces a premier DE! He's NOT GOOD at his job. I don't hate him; I hate that he's not GOOD or BETTER and that he's only AVERAGE!

2) Winston is under 30 years old and he signed a longer term deal. Backus is 35 and coming off surgery; his health is questionable. You can not compare the two. These players / contracts have nothing to do with each other! If anything, look at what Backus got paid under the contract he just came off of. He was franchised by Millen and got top 5 NFL starting LT money for the last 5 (or thereabouts) years. He NEVER once played a top 5 LT season for team! He was WAY overpaid because he became the beneficiary of the fact that nobody else worthwhile was available that year in FA. He's always gotten pro bowl caliber money and never had a pro bowl season.

njroar wrote:
... As for Backus's contract. A left tackle for $5 million isn't a bad signing. Winston is a zone blocking RT and he's getting a little more than $5 a year. LT is the money spot, not RT, and especially not ZBS RTs.

Please see above & We don't know how his contract was built yet. If it's back loaded with salary and only a $3 or 4 Mil signing bonus this year then that equates to a cap number this year of $2 Million ish. That's not as bad and I can live with it as a stopgap until we get a long term replacement starter. (Read: draft in the 1st or 2nd rd this year). But if this is a $4 or 5 Million cap hit this year I'll be really pissed!

March 18th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

With all due respect LF57, $5M a season is chump change for a left tackle in the NFL. Even an average LT. I don't think the Lions paying him that much is overboard. I understand you aren't a big fan of his, but there are many worse LTs out there getting paid equally well, if not more. I have been a big proponent of the Lions getting a better LT, so it's not like I'm in love with the guy. But based on his familiarity with the offense, his durability (and you can't simply toss that aspect out the window), and his station as the LT for this team when our 23 year old QB threw for over 5000 yards, I'd say you have to give him a little more credit than what you are.

March 18th, 2012, 2:30 pm

I don't know how one looks at our run defense this last year and immediately thinks, "Better resign the MLB to a huge contract!" I know there's plenty of blame to go around, and that Tulloch had a decent season stats wise (so did Paris Lennon in the 0-16 nightmare btw), but am I the only one who thinks he seems small and slow?

March 18th, 2012, 4:27 pm
Bubbles the Lion

There is a lot of Backus hate from Lions fans. He isn't near as bad as people seem to think.

There have been what 4 different coaching staffs in the time Backus has been here? Every one of them has not only kept him around, but praised him. I think OL is one of the hardest positions for fans to tell who is playing well and isn't. We don't know the protection calls. We see Allen tearing him apart and assume it is all his fault(obviously his false starts were), but maybe the RB or TE were supposed to chip him? We need to trust the lions management.

There simply isn't an easy upgrade at LT this year. The Lions just signed an average, but durable LT on a below average(price wise) deal. I call it a win.

March 18th, 2012, 4:46 pm
Team MVP

LioneeR wrote:
There is a lot of Backus hate from Lions fans. He isn't near as bad as people seem to think.

There have been what 4 different coaching staffs in the time Backus has been here? Every one of them has not only kept him around, but praised him. I think OL is one of the hardest positions for fans to tell who is playing well and isn't. We don't know the protection calls. We see Allen tearing him apart and assume it is all his fault(obviously his false starts were), but maybe the RB or TE were supposed to chip him? We need to trust the lions management.

There simply isn't an easy upgrade at LT this year. The Lions just signed an average, but durable LT on a below average(price wise) deal. I call it a win.

Well said.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 18th, 2012, 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next