View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 4:36 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 CJ to represent Lions for Madden cover...DONT VOTE FOR HIM! 
Varsity Captain

Post Re: CJ to represent Lions for Madden cover...DONT VOTE FOR H
I'm just shocked by the number of people that believe this curse. Correlation does not equal causation, and sooner or later this will be proven.

It's just a picture on a cover. <-- That's my side. Your side differs, fine. But what's going to happen if CJ wins the cover and he's all happy about it? Are you going to be upset? Are you going to be scared all season? Can't you just be happy for the guy and cheer him on? Because I'm not seeing one ounce of that, and that bothers me more than anything else.

April 19th, 2012, 2:44 pm
RIP Killer

49ers wrote:
I'm just shocked by the number of people that believe this curse. Correlation does not equal causation, and sooner or later this will be proven.

It's just a picture on a cover. <-- That's my side. Your side differs, fine. But what's going to happen if CJ wins the cover and he's all happy about it? Are you going to be upset? Are you going to be scared all season? Can't you just be happy for the guy and cheer him on? Because I'm not seeing one ounce of that, and that bothers me more than anything else.

Of course this is coming from a fan of a franchise with 5 Super Bowl wins, not a team that has never sniffed the big game. This is coming from a team steeped in QB lore, from Tittle to Montana to Young, not one that suffered the 50 year curse of Bobby Layne after their last NFL championship in 57' (and a team that has had one QB make the pro bowl in those 55 years). Plus, I don't recall the niners ever going 0-16!

Heck maybe I'm still bitter from when I was just a young lad in 1983 and Eddie Murray missed a last second field goal in the playoffs at San Fran that cost us the game 24-23 (well along with all of Danielson's ints that let to 49er TDs).

Just sayin...

April 19th, 2012, 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

49ers wrote:

He'd look cool on the cover and I'd have to buy the game but I hope Patrick Willis wins it(He'd also look cool on the cover and I love when defensive players are appreciated). I can't believe Revis hasn't been considered

April 19th, 2012, 3:06 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

49ers wrote:

It's just a picture on a cover<-- That's my side. Your side differs, fine. But what's going to happen if CJ wins the cover and he's all happy about it? Are you going to be upset? Are you going to be scared all season? Can't you just be happy for the guy and cheer him on? Because I'm not seeing one ounce of that, and that bothers me more than anything else.

why does he have to be on the cover of a video game for me to cheer him on? i dont care if its a box of weaties....if 90% of every athlete thats been on the cover gets hurt...I'd prefer our star players NOT be on the box. I dont get why thats so hard to figure out! it's not like there is no reason the curse is being talked about by EVERYONE (including you)....fact is, time after time after time after time...these guys end up hurt. you say coincidence....good for you. Thats TOO MANY coincidences for it to be simply random chance anymore. I can't figure out why YOU are so lost on this.

April 19th, 2012, 3:28 pm
Varsity Captain

regularjoe12 wrote:
Thats TOO MANY coincidences for it to be simply random chance anymore. I can't figure out why YOU are so lost on this.

Curses don't exist. It's a human connection between two random events that have a similar pattern. I'm not lost, I fully understand. I also understand why people who believe in curses are so angry when confronted on them. There is an emotional connection to believing in a curse, so when your belief comes into question, your immediate response is anger and/or fear (usually anger is the by-product of fear). So I fully understand my side, AND I fully understand your side. I just can't believe the sheer number of people that share your side. Baffles me.

That's not the point:

CJ said he wants to be on the cover. You don't want him to be on the cover. You aren't supporting him NOR are you happy for him, so don't tell me that you are.

April 19th, 2012, 3:41 pm
Veteran General Manager

49ers wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Thats TOO MANY coincidences for it to be simply random chance anymore. I can't figure out why YOU are so lost on this.

Curses don't exist. It's a human connection between two random events that have a similar pattern. I'm not lost, I fully understand. I also understand why people who believe in curses are so angry when confronted on them. There is an emotional connection to believing in a curse, so when your belief comes into question, your immediate response is anger and/or fear (usually anger is the by-product of fear). So I fully understand my side, AND I fully understand your side. I just can't believe the sheer number of people that share your side. Baffles me.

That's not the point:

CJ said he wants to be on the cover. You don't want him to be on the cover. You aren't supporting him NOR are you happy for him, so don't tell me that you are.

If he "wins" the cover, there isn't a person on this board who won't be happy for him. There is not 1 person on this board who won't be pulling for him. Not that however we fans react to it will amount to diddly squat. But, that's beside the point.

Everyone of us on this board, however, are all too familiar with a guy named Murphy. And his law stinks like crap.

April 19th, 2012, 4:00 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

I'd be excited to see a Lion on the cover but I personally do believe in the curse and haven't voted for him to be on it. I would still cheer for him though. Why would any of us stop that? As long as he's on the Lions, I'll always want him to catch 100 passes a year and 15-20 touchdowns. What Detroit fan wouldn't? If he's on the cover, I can deal with it but I don't be totally in love with it.

April 19th, 2012, 4:03 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

49ers wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

That's not the point:

Thank you AGAIN for telling me with your all knowing wisdom what is and what isn't.

Silly me I thought that as a fan I was supposed to support a players actions on the field....and not be a drama queeen and act like im supposed to support their personal life. By your logic let me change my philosphy on some things.

Barry is the best running back ever..I need to support him more so here we go....WOOO BARRY'S GETTING DIVORCED! SWEET MAN! GOOD JOB! IM SOO GLAD YOU COULDN'T MAKE THINGS WORK! YOU DA MAN! SIGN ON THAT LINE! WOOOOOOO........

or do you think that maybe as fans we should just stick to supporting the on the field activity and stop making gods of these gentlemen? whataya think?

April 19th, 2012, 4:09 pm
Varsity Captain

Footsoldier32 wrote:
I'd be excited to see a Lion on the cover but I personally do believe in the curse and haven't voted for him to be on it.

If you haven't voted for him, then you aren't supporting him. He wants to be on the cover, which means he has to get votes, especially from Lions fans. You are choosing not to vote for him. That's not supporting him at all. That's the part I don't like. Even worse, when he asked for my vote, I gave it, and I'm not even a Lions fans. That's the part I'm having a problem with, for the "n"-teenth time.

I just can't stand this "I'm going to support and cheer him, but not vote for him" crap. What kind of fans are you. Lions fans, and he ASKED FOR YOUR VOTE, and you say "no". Psh. Some fan you are.

regularjoe12 wrote:
Silly me I thought that as a fan I was supposed to support a players actions on the field....and not be a drama queeen and act like im supposed to support their personal life. By your logic let me change my philosphy on some things.

Barry is the best running back ever..I need to support him more so here we go....WOOO BARRY'S GETTING DIVORCED! SWEET MAN! GOOD JOB! IM SOO GLAD YOU COULDN'T MAKE THINGS WORK! YOU DA MAN! SIGN ON THAT LINE! WOOOOOOO........

or do you think that maybe as fans we should just stick to supporting the on the field activity and stop making gods of these gentlemen? whataya think?

You're the one not voting for CJ because of what may happen on the field. The rest of your post doesn't make 1 lick of sense (personal lives? divorce?). As a fan, you're sole reason for not voting CJ is because what may happen on the field. This Madden cover isn't a "personal life" issue. If it was, I wouldn't even bring it up. So your whole rant about personal lives doesn't make one lick of sense.

AGAIN: It's just a picture on a cover. CJ wants to be that guy on the cover. He's asking for YOUR votes. He's a Lion, you are a fan of the Lions. You are DENYING that vote. <--- I don't know how you guys can argue with the bolded part.

I'm not saying he won't get hurt, and if he did you could blame it on the curse all you want, I wouldn't, but who cares. If a 49er asked for my vote, I'd give that vote. The very fact that I'm supporting CJ more than any Lions fan here is annoying to me.

April 19th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

49ers wrote:
AGAIN: It's just a picture on a cover. CJ wants to be that guy on the cover. He's asking for YOUR votes. He's a Lion, you are a fan of the Lions. You are DENYING that vote.
I'm not saying he won't get hurt, and if he did you could blame it on the curse all you want, I wouldn't, but who cares. If a 49er asked for my vote, I'd give that vote. The very fact that I'm supporting CJ more than any Lions fan here is annoying to me.

I agree with you, actually, and think it would be cool to see CJ on the Madden cover. The curse is no more real than the Easter bunny--I'm surprised by how many adults seem to take it seriously.

April 19th, 2012, 7:43 pm
Veteran General Manager

mwill2 wrote:
49ers wrote:
AGAIN: It's just a picture on a cover. CJ wants to be that guy on the cover. He's asking for YOUR votes. He's a Lion, you are a fan of the Lions. You are DENYING that vote.

I agree with you, actually, and think it would be cool to see CJ on the Madden cover. The curse is no more real than the Easter bunny--I'm surprised by how many adults seem to take it seriously.

I don't care about the curse. I'm well grounded in reality. And reality is that if you make the cover of Madden, your career gets derailed for at least 1 year. Go ahead. deny reality now.

April 19th, 2012, 8:06 pm
RIP Killer

Every year about 20-25% of the players in the NFL who start the season on a teams roster end up on the IR. That's right, 20-25%.

Law of probability of that happening to a guy on the cover over the span that it has is remote, I agree. But it's not that far fetched.

I don't believe in curses. But I'd prefer CJ didn't make the cover just in case what I don't believe in actually does exist. Strange things happen in this world. And the Lions have been more than snake bit, cursed....whatever you want to call it, than any other team in the league. Enough. Don't tempt fate, or it will spit in your eye.

April 19th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

BillySims wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
49ers wrote:

I don't care about the curse. I'm well grounded in reality. And reality is that if you make the cover of Madden, your career gets derailed for at least 1 year. Go ahead. deny reality now.

Every Christmas, my son wakes up and there are gifts underneath the Christmas tree. Go ahead. Deny Santa Claus now. :P

April 19th, 2012, 11:39 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

freep.com wrote:
Cursed? Breaking down the Madden NFL football cover jinx

Is it real or isn’t it real?

Legions of Madden NFL Football fans think it’s real.

Lions’ president Tom Lewand doesn’t.

So with All-Pro wide receiver Calvin Johnson in the finals with Carolina Panthers’ quarterback Cam Newton for a spot on this year’s Madden NFL 2013 cover, we decided to take a deeper look into this whole Madden Curse thing.

Prior to 1999, the video game’s namesake – former Oakland Raiders and Fox broadcaster John Madden – was primarily featured on the cover.

In 1999, San Francisco 49ers running back Garrison Hearst bestowed the cover.

Since 1999, a number of players have been on the cover and a vast majority have been plagued by injury, legal or performance troubles shortly thereafter.

Here is the list:

• 1999: 49ers’ Hearst: The first known occurrence of the curse, Hearst broke his ankle on the first play from scrimmage in 1999, missed two full seasons and was never the same. Verdict: Cursed

• 2000: Lions’ running back Barry Sanders: Hitting close to home, Sanders abruptly retired from football before training camp, falling short of the NFL career rushing record and sending the Lions into a decade-long tailspin of losing. Verdict: Cursed

• 2001: Titans’ running back Eddie George: George stretched the myth of the curse by turning in a solid season – 939 yards rushing with five touchdowns – but also turning the ball over in the fourth quarter of the 2001 Divisional playoffs vs. the Baltimore Ravens. George bobbled a pass from Steve McNair, which was intercepted by Ray Lewis for a touchdown to seal the game. Verdict: Not cursed.

• 2002: Vikings’ quarterback Daunte Culpepper: After a career year, Culpepper threw 23 interceptions and set the NFL record for most fumbles in a season. Verdict: Cursed

• 2003: Rams’ running back Marshall Faulk: Faulk, a perennial 1,000 yard rusher, never eclipsed that mark after donning the cover and knee injuries limited him to 21 of 32 games during the 2002-03 seasons. Verdict: Cursed

• 2004: Falcons’ quarterback Michael Vick: Vick broke his fibula in a preseason game and years later, the rest of the story plays out like this: Dogfights, jail, comeback. Verdict: Cursed

• 2005: Ravens’ Lewis: Lewis didn’t play a full season, instead hurting his wrist in Week 15. He also didn’t intercept a pass for the first time in his career. Verdict: Not cursed

• 2006: Eagles’ quarterback Donovan McNabb: McNabb suffered a sports hernia in the first game of the season and tore his ACL in Week 11 against the Titans. It was the third time in five years that McNabb was lost for the season with six or more games remaining. Verdict: Not cursed

• 2007: Seahawks’ running back Shaun Alexander: The league’s reigning MVP heading into the season, Alexander injured his foot during training camp and missed six games. Verdict: Cursed

• 2008: Titans’ quarterback Vince Young: Young missed a game, but didn’t sway above or below his statistics from the previous season. Verdict: Not cursed

• 2009: Packers’ quarterback Brett Favre: Or is it Jets’ quarterback Favre? The legendary signal-caller took to the cover with the impression that he was retired but instead, Favre came back with the Jets and was plagued by poor performance and poor judgment in text messaging. Verdict: Cursed

• 2010: Cardinals’ wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and Steelers’ safety Troy Polamalu: Fitzgerald turned in a rock-solid season a year after Arizona fell in the Super Bowl to Pittsburgh, recording 97 receptions (third-most in his career) and 13 touchdowns (career-high). Meanwhile, Polamalu sprained his knee in the season opener and battled injuries the rest of the way. Verdict: Half-cursed

• 2011: Saints’ quarterback Drew Brees: Brees threw twice as many interceptions as the season before and his quarterback rating dropped nearly 20 points as the Saints lost in the first round of the playoffs. Still, he played in all 16 games and made the Pro Bowl as a reserve. Verdict: Not cursed

• 2012: Browns’ running back Peyton Hillis: After a breakout season in 2011, Hillis couldn’t hold a candle to his previous year’s stats, instead battling a hamstring injury, strep throat and clubhouse concerns with the Browns. As for the curse, Hillis told ESPN.com in December, “There’s a few things that happened this year that made me believe in curses. Ain’t no doubt about it.” Verdict: Cursed

But from our vantage point, there is a doubt about the Madden curse. We doubt you want to see Calvin Johnson prove it wrong. So vote for Cam Newton.

April 19th, 2012, 11:45 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
49ers wrote:

Of course this is coming from a fan of a franchise with 5 Super Bowl wins, not a team that has never sniffed the big game. This is coming from a team steeped in QB lore, from Tittle to Montana to Young, not one that suffered the 50 year curse of Bobby Layne after their last NFL championship in 57' (and a team that has had one QB make the pro bowl in those 55 years). Plus, I don't recall the niners ever going 0-16!

Heck maybe I'm still bitter from when I was just a young lad in 1983 and Eddie Murray missed a last second field goal in the playoffs at San Fran that cost us the game 24-23 (well along with all of Danielson's ints that let to 49er TDs).

Just sayin...

As a Lions fan I have to believe in a curse. It's almost impossible not to. CMWSR's post above says it all!!

Having said that, I don't see any chance that a 2nd year QB upsets the best WR and highest paid player in the game! So IMO there is 100% chance that Calvin Johnson wins the cover in a landslide victory! Given that enevitability: I'm pulling for CJ to break the curse!

April 20th, 2012, 7:27 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next