View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Free Agency 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Free Agency
NFL network just reported Eric Wright signed with Tampa.

March 14th, 2012, 8:36 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Free Agency
liontrax wrote:
NFL network just reported Eric Wright signed with Tampa.

Thanks for not starting a new thread for this!

I'm having a tough time trying to figure out if the Lions:

1) Just weren't that interested in Wright. And,
2) Are more interested in another free agent such as Brandon Carr (or Finnigan who's no longer on the grid). Or,
3) A draft pick
4) Are having a tough time getting Calvin Johnson to sign a new long term deal. (Which is really screwing up our free agency signings).

I actually suspect it's some combination of the above. But the CJ issue is killing us!!!

March 14th, 2012, 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Offense

Wright was knocked down to nickel by Berry and you're not going to get in a bidding war over a nickel corner. We had the cap room if we wanted him, so it wasn't CJ's deal that was killing us. The better teams don't rush in FA, they wait which is what we're doing. The deals are out there to those who wait, and you only overpay when you rush in that first day. We can go after anyone we want now that CJ's deal is done and have the money to actually upgrade the position instead of overpaying for a sideways move.

March 14th, 2012, 11:10 am
Bubbles the Lion

I would have rather kept him, but he was far from irreplaceable. Good luck to him in the future.

So right now Berry is our 2nd CB or would we try Smith again?

Hopefully that means we are going to get a 1st/2nd round CB in the draft at a minimum.

March 14th, 2012, 12:24 pm
RIP Killer

LioneeR wrote:
I would have rather kept him, but he was far from irreplaceable. Good luck to him in the future.

Hopefully that means we are going to get a 1st/2nd round CB in the draft at a minimum.

Ummmm...free agency JUST started, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Aaron Berry is our second starter. With CJ getting his extension, Avril working on a deal that lowers his cap hit, and the restructuring of Suh, Stafford and Burleson, the Lions have more than enough cap room to negotiate with some of the pretty good CBs still on the market. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions nab a CB in rounds one or two, if they are of value at that pick. Smith was dangled as trade bait, so he may demand to be released or perhaps the Lions are still trying to get something in return for him. To me, it is obvious they no longer want him.

March 14th, 2012, 12:37 pm
All State

Signing CJ puts them in good shape to swoop in and grab Brandon Carr, Marshall, or Porter hopefully at this point. I think we can live without Wright if one of those guys get signed.

March 14th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Bubbles the Lion

m2karateman wrote:
LioneeR wrote:

Ummmm...free agency JUST started, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Aaron Berry is our second starter. With CJ getting his extension, Avril working on a deal that lowers his cap hit, and the restructuring of Suh, Stafford and Burleson, the Lions have more than enough cap room to negotiate with some of the pretty good CBs still on the market. I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions nab a CB in rounds one or two, if they are of value at that pick. Smith was dangled as trade bait, so he may demand to be released or perhaps the Lions are still trying to get something in return for him. To me, it is obvious they no longer want him.

Yeah I was just thinking worst case scenario.

March 14th, 2012, 12:51 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Berry was 2nd corner for most of the year anyway. It wouldn't be a step down, but don't expect them to stop there.

Geoff Schwartz is coming in for visit - RT/G. Would be better than Gos or Peterman.

Landry is coming in for visit. Immediate upgrade in Safety position if he's 100% back from Achilles.

Ginn Jr is coming for visit. Sets WR ranks and helps ST.

They started working on Tully last night so expect something there since MLB market again wasn't anything special, but gave him chance to test it like he wanted.

With $20 million they have plenty of room to do smaller 1 year deals, or spread cap hit across 2-3 years and make that money go far. Just remember what Mayhew did last season with very little. They'll be smart and keep tweaking the roster as players become available. There's still 500+ free agents out there.

March 14th, 2012, 12:53 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Berry was 2nd corner for most of the year anyway. It wouldn't be a step down, but don't expect them to stop there.

This is an incorrect statement. Wright was the second corner the entire season. When there were only two wideouts on the field, it was Aaron Berry who came off the field, not Wright. When a slot receiver came on the field, Berry would take the outside spot and Wright would move inside to the "nickel" spot. It didn't make him the nickel cornerback, it was simply done to take advantage of the fact that Berry was a bigger corner than Wright, and that Wright was a better tackler so he was put closer to the action if it was a running play.

njroar wrote:
Geoff Schwartz is coming in for visit - RT/G. Would be better than Gos or Peterman.

Landry is coming in for visit. Immediate upgrade in Safety position if he's 100% back from Achilles.

Agree on both fronts.

njroar wrote:
Ginn Jr is coming for visit. Sets WR ranks and helps ST.

I have no interest in Ginn. He'll want more money than Logan, isn't better than him in my opinion, and as a receiver he's no better than Rashied Davis.

njroar wrote:
They started working on Tully last night so expect something there since MLB market again wasn't anything special, but gave him chance to test it like he wanted.

With $20 million they have plenty of room to do smaller 1 year deals, or spread cap hit across 2-3 years and make that money go far. Just remember what Mayhew did last season with very little. They'll be smart and keep tweaking the roster as players become available. There's still 500+ free agents out there.

To me it is obvious the Lions don't feel pressure to add any top tier free agents at any position. I have to believe they are working to sign Backus and Tulloch, since I haven't heard anything about either of them visiting elsewhere, or even saying they want to visit another team. The Lions have gotten smart with their FA deals in the past few years, not signing many players to long term deals that would cripple us in the long run if they don't work out. Besides which, the Lions can certainly upgrade some positions, but don't HAVE to for them to still be a playoff caliber team.

March 14th, 2012, 1:05 pm
Heisman Winner

Brandon Carr just signed a 5 year 50 mill deal with the Cowboys.

March 14th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Team MVP

DayDreamer wrote:

Just saw that. So much for him i guess.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

March 14th, 2012, 4:27 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Gaither signed with Chargers.

March 14th, 2012, 5:03 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

kdsberman wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

Looks like we'll be drafting a corner or two.

March 14th, 2012, 5:14 pm
Heisman Winner

kdsberman wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

Yup, I think Mahew has someone in mind for the draft. Either that or they got their sights set on someone low-profile.

March 14th, 2012, 5:17 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I see carl nix coming to the D

March 14th, 2012, 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 323 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next