View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 4:38 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2) 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
The Legend wrote:
i agree with you - this pick was a reach not a BPA pick. mayhew targets guys that he wants and takes them its not necessarily BPA

for them i think it is bpa. it's not the media's bpa.

April 27th, 2012, 9:21 pm

49ers wrote:
The Legend wrote:
WR was a need for the Lions. Look at the teams we lost to last season down the stretch - Saints and Packers both had many more offensive options than the Lions did.

As an outsider, I didn't see it that way. They had more weapons, sure, but I don't credit that for the win. They could also tackle and make turnovers. I recall the Lions missing multiple tackles in the Saints playoff game that allowed the Saints to garner more first downs.

I dunno.

thank you. it was a pure bull**** pick

April 27th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Heisman Winner

I'll repeat what I said in chat, the Lions threw for the 5th most yards in NFL history. Calvin, Burleson, Young, Pettigrew, Scheffler, and even Best (if healthy) will all see more touches than our 2nd round pick will in the next 2 years.

Even if you subscribe to the BPA theory, this is not a move that says we have the best interest of the team in mind in 2012 or 2013. Very disappointing.

April 27th, 2012, 9:25 pm
RIP Killer

I've seen quite a bit of game tape on broyles and the guy is very, very good. He catches everything. How often do we complain about dropped balls? The guy is good. the only beef is his wheel. Will he be ok by the start of the year? The lions aren't idiots, they. Had him checked out by doctors and obviously liked his progress.

Absolutely no way he would have lasted beyond the 3rd, much less the 5th. That's just a dumb comment.

April 27th, 2012, 9:25 pm
League MVP

broyles is a good player no question and the ACL injury isnt a red flag or career threatening in any way but it may slow his ability to contribute early depending on how much rehab time he will get in. still its hard to look at the other players available and say that this was the BPA - peter konz, mike adams going just moments later for example.

April 27th, 2012, 9:32 pm

acl is not the career-ender it once was. pett had one on the thanksgiving day game and we don't even talk about it anymore.

April 27th, 2012, 9:36 pm
Team MVP

I need someone to thoroughly explain to me why we passed on Konz, Curry, Osemeli..etc. Im pissed. I usually back Mayhew 100%, but THIS pick has me thinking that Mayhew is getting high with LeShoure and Fairley.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 27th, 2012, 9:40 pm

watch us take QB nick fowles with our next pick

April 27th, 2012, 9:51 pm
Team MVP

im hoping for brandon brooks or bobbie massie.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 27th, 2012, 9:54 pm
RIP Killer

OK, done throwing up. Couple of things.

1) I really like a few guys on the board there - Curry, Konz, Johnson
2) WRs from the Big 12 taken early usually don't translate well to the pros
3) I don't think we need anymore injury concerns at the skilled positions to join Staff, Best, LeShore, and now CJ with the Madden curse
4) BPA - I didn't have Broyles rated this high pre-injury and I'm not sure he wouldn't have been there in the 3rd round for the Leos

All that said, Mayhew and Schwarz love drafting skilled players high so I shouldn't be surprised.

/rant

April 27th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

Can't say I like this pick. Seems like yet another high pick for the 3rd receiver at best. Curry was there. The choice of all CBS as well. He must've been very high on this guy. Clearly the draft lists often are wrong in their rankings. I just feel like we are looking at damaged goods again perhaps at a position that has minimal impact to the game. RB CB or others have more importance. Let's hope the pick turns out to be a good one.

April 27th, 2012, 10:12 pm

So it seems like he would've been one of the top WRs in the draft had he not got hurt. Sounds like a perfect 2nd rounder to me.

April 27th, 2012, 10:39 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Not wild about the pick, but a pure ACL injury (without significant cartilage damage or other ligament damage) that is a year old would not stop me or even slow me down in picking a player. Sure I would check out their rehab, but if no red flags, draft him.

April 27th, 2012, 10:44 pm
RIP Killer

Gruden seemed to love the pick. He said:

"This is a great pick right here," Gruden said. "I was hoping to see Ryan Broyles go earlier. Reminds me a lot of a guy I had in Oakland in Tim Brown. I've seen this kid line up the slot. He runs wicked double moves. Week to week to week production. Great competitor.

"Reminds me of a young Tim Brown, Derrick Mason-type receiver. He'll really flourish in this Lion offense."

April 27th, 2012, 10:49 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I am not overly happy with the pick BUT I trust Mayhew.

April 27th, 2012, 10:53 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next