View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 11:14 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2) 
League MVP

Post Re: Lions select Ryan Broyles, WR, OK (Rd. 2)
i dont think he has anywhere near the speed of those two guys but he should be a good player, good pick just not sure if they could have gotten a better player like konz/adams/lavonte david and some others

April 27th, 2012, 10:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

i thought wk1 vs the rams would be an easy win but they actually went out an improved the areas that made them suck. i always said that i trust mayhew no matter what im really bummed with this pick

April 27th, 2012, 10:54 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

cant believe we made this pick with Konz still on board, this really chaps my arse!!! that being said I like how STALLION stated in Mayhew we trust. I wont jump off the band wagon now =; =;

April 27th, 2012, 11:04 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

This pick is for 2013 moreso than even 2012.

1) WR usually take some time to adjust in NFL. He comes in with low pressure as WR #4.

2) Burleson is mediocre and getting Older, but he is a great mentor for all teamates, especially WRs. Broyles is our future Posession receiver. Great hands, consistent , good routes. He will push nate while learning how to be a Pro from him, while Nate also helps mentor Young through his first full offseason. By Next draft Our WR core will be CJ, Young, Broyles, Reduced cost Nate/Draftee/OtherVet.

On this light it isnt a bad pick.. and i was damn close to the ledge after I saw it, so dont get me wrong. I still would have rather had Konz but in Mayhew We Trust.

0-16 to 10-6+Playoffs.

April 27th, 2012, 11:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Quote:
Ryan Broyles pick: How the Lions operate

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

As they approached their second-round position Friday night, the Detroit Lions sure seemed to be sitting pretty. A team with a shortage of cornerbacks was looking at a nice group of second-tier defensive backs whose time on the market appeared up. In addition, the draft's top center was still available if the Lions were inclined to secure a future replacement for starter Dominic Raiola.

With their No. 54 overall pick, the Lions passed on Wisconsin center Peter Konz, who ultimately went one slot later to the Atlanta Falcons.

They turned away a trio of cornerbacks: Vanderbilt's Casey Hayward, Montana's Trumaine Johnson and Central Florida's Josh Robinson. Hayward went at No. 62 to the Green Bay Packers, Johnson at No. 65 to the St. Louis Rams and Robinson at No. 66 to the Minnesota Vikings.

The Lions? Naturally, they went for a 24-year-old slot receiver who tore his anterior cruciate ligament last November. Oklahoma's Ryan Broyles will join a seemingly crowded position group that also includes Calvin Johnson, Nate Burleson and 2011 second-round pick Titus Young.

I got a number of immediate reactions along these lines of this one from @breynolds0324: "Sadly, best case he is 4th receiver. That secondary made [Matt] Flynn a multimillionaire. Feel like we are a secondary away from SB."

I understand where you're coming from, and perhaps some of you were assuaged when the Lions drafted Louisiana-Lafayette cornerback Dwight Bentley in the third round. But I feel like many of you allowed your immediate emotions to overtake rational thought, and more importantly, what should be a clear understanding of how the Lions operate under general manager Martin Mayhew and coach Jim Schwartz.

You can object to the relative lack of attention the Lions have paid their secondary during this rebuilding process. Feel free to dispute their assessment of the talent they've passed over. But by now, like it or not, you should have come to expect that they will follow their board in as much of a vacuum as any team in the NFL. And I hope you also realize that approach might has left the Lions short in secondary but is probably the single-biggest factor in their return to contention.

"You don't solve needs by drafting poor players," Lions coach Jim Schwartz told reporters in Detroit. "… There's a discipline that goes into it. You have to be able to stick with that philosophy. The philosophy is: 'Talent rules the board.' … If you chase need, you're chasing a moving target. What looks like a need one day might to be a need another day. If you have the discipline to say, 'Hey look, let's get good football players that fit a philosophy that we have a plan for, that continue to be the highest rated guys on your board, then you're going to be successful over the long run.

"Even in this organization in the past, I think everybody knows some examples where this organization reached for certain players because of needs. I don't see how that solves your need. When it's all said and done, the need is still there."

It would be reasonable to question whether, say, Hayward would have been a reach at No. 54 when the Packers selected him just a few spots later. But the more relevant question is whether the Lions would have left a more talented player on the board. And in the Lions' evaluation, they would have. That made their decision easy Friday night at No. 54.

Broyles is one of the most productive receivers in the history of college football, having caught an NCAA-record 349 passes in his career. Just five months after surgery to repair his ACL, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 seconds. Mayhew, whose success in recent drafts grants him some leeway in making such judgments, told reporters: "If the guy were healthy now he'd have been gone way before our pick."

And while they are in fact stacked at the front end of their depth chart, the Lions in reality were one injury away from not being able to use offensive coordinator Scott Linehan's three-receiver set. Burleson, meanwhile, will turn 32 this summer. In other words, the Lions could be a year or two away from having an obvious need at receiver. As we discussed Thursday, the key to orderly transitions is acquiring the replacement before he is needed.

Look, the Lions don't need me to be an apologist for a decision -- and thus far, an entire draft -- that might not have much impact on their 2012 team. You have a right to dispute it. But you shouldn't be surprised, and the Lions' success to this point earns them at least a partial benefit of the doubt from me.

Sums it up.

April 27th, 2012, 11:32 pm
League MVP

wow, didnt realize broyles was running sub 4.6 just 5 months out - i thought those times listed for him were preinjury. its possible he is really in the 4.4 range and could be a more polished version of titus young rather than a possession type

April 27th, 2012, 11:38 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

yeah, he did a 30-minute workout on the repaired knee at his pro day, so while he might not be 100%, he can be ready for camp. I'd bet they'll move him along slow, but he's progressed through his rehab at a good pace.

April 27th, 2012, 11:44 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Did anybody and I include our 49er's friends in this conversation, predict A.J. Jenkins in the first round? but we all saw it was the 49er's and figured they knew what they were doing./

0-16 to 10-6. I for one, will give the Lions the benefit. But if they have another chance to get Lamar Miller and he still slips I have to ask myself - Am I not seeing something that I should, or am I just a complete friggen idiot?

I'm sure some here at Lionbacker are leaning toward the latter.

No Character issues with this pick

April 28th, 2012, 12:45 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't mind the player, I just think they picked him much sooner than they needed to. I think they could have selected him in round three. I don't know that another team would have picked him up before then. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

I had a feeling the Lions were targeting Broyles. Something I read someplace pointed to that idea.

April 28th, 2012, 7:39 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

I screwed up. I thought Broyles injury was 2010. It was November 2011, six months ago. While his knee 'could' be fine, it is too early to be sure. Pretty big risk. Even if I wanted a WR, I wouldn't have drafted this guy this early. He was going to fall.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

April 28th, 2012, 8:02 am
Hall of Fame Player

Way too much discussion about how we "trust Mayhew". That's bunk! I like what he's done to date getting the team from 0-16 to 10-6 but that doesn't mean he hasn't made any mistakes along the way (he has - he's human - he's allowed). Offering up blind trust is unwarranted IMO. He's not yet earned the right to expect our trust regardless of his choices.

This pick was a mistake. Period! There was much better talent available (forget the ACL issue) and at positions of far greater need. Passing on any choice of Peter Konz, Vinny Curry, LaMichael James, Trumaine Johnson, (only to settle for Dwight Bentley in the 3rd) was completely moronic. The 2nd and 3rd rounds combined make the poorest combination of decisions Mayhew has made to date. (Even worse than the decision to draft Javid Best.)

The ONLY way to polish this mess up is if Mayhew pulls off some kind of trade(s) (such as Peterman for Dallas' Jenkins mentioned in another thread) that somehow improve the various positions in question. As of now, our offense is not improved with the acquisition of a disabled WR, and, our porous defensive secondary has another rookie 5' 10" CB. That's no big deal! We've seen dozens of them come and go over the years and it's still the weakest position on the team.

I'm very disappointed with day 2 of the draft.

April 28th, 2012, 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

LionFan57 wrote:
Way too much discussion about how we "trust Mayhew". That's bunk! I like what he's done to date getting the team from 0-16 to 10-6 but that doesn't mean he hasn't made any mistakes along the way (he has - he's human - he's allowed). Offering up blind trust is unwarranted IMO. He's not yet earned the right to expect our trust regardless of his choices.

This pick was a mistake. Period! There was much better talent available (forget the ACL issue) and at positions of far greater need. Passing on any choice of Peter Konz, Vinny Curry, LaMichael James, Trumaine Johnson, (only to settle for Dwight Bentley in the 3rd) was completely moronic. The 2nd and 3rd rounds combined make the poorest combination of decisions Mayhew has made to date. (Even worse than the decision to draft Javid Best.)

The ONLY way to polish this mess up is if Mayhew pulls off some kind of trade(s) (such as Peterman for Dallas' Jenkins mentioned in another thread) that somehow improve the various positions in question. As of now, our offense is not improved with the acquisition of a disabled WR, and, our porous defensive secondary has another rookie 5' 10" CB. That's no big deal! We've seen dozens of them come and go over the years and it's still the weakest position on the team.

Oh, I hear ya, and I don't disagree with what our saying at all. I had never heard of this guy before yesterday so I was a lil "wtf" when I saw the pick myself. I knew they were targeting a WR, and a specific type of WR. This guy just wasn't on my or from what I've seen anyone else's radar. I have read good thing's about both picks.

I would also like to see the Lions come away with a more polished CB at some point. It won't surprise me if they don't though.

April 28th, 2012, 9:16 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Jenkins is available from Dallas. Wouldnt cost a lot either

April 28th, 2012, 9:21 am
All State

I for one , after I had quelled the flashbacks of Millen and his WR's draft , like the pick . We needed WR help, and this guy has return ability as well. Logan isnt anything special back there and he can be .

I feel this was the Lions plan all along, if Kirkpatrick , and Hayward were off the board . I dont feel as if he wouldve been on the board in the 3rd . I love the draft so far, Reiff , Broyles and Bill , they all address a need , and aside from Broyles [ only cause of the injury ] can contribute immediately.

Following the BPA is the best thing to do , I was watching Charlie Casserly on NFLN and he was stating how they passed up on Will Shields for a LB cause thats what they needed instead of the who they felt was the BPA, and the LB ended up a mud duck and shields went on to be a Pro Bowler . While Broyles might not have been the BPA to the " guru's" , according to our board he was and he helped address a need . Steal imo ..

April 28th, 2012, 9:54 am
League MVP

Quote:

I totally understand where you are coming from but this pick isnt the doom you are making it out to be. True that Peter Konz was available but Raiola does not truly need a replacement yet and it seems the front office is happy with him no matter what our opinions on Dom are. Shifting Konz to guard is a reasonable idea until Dom is gone but with the drafting of Reiff, Cherilus/Backus maybe even Hilliard or Fox might slide inside and help out at that position. Finally decent guards become available in Free Agency pretty frequently relative to other positions and can be developed late in the draft or even undrafted ie see GB Packer OL case in point Evan Dietrich-Smith. Lamichael James reminds me of Best but with a more slight frame - there is no question the Lions were interested but some good runners are still on the board and the Lions probably have some idea of what there plan is for Best and are not ready to give up on him just yet. Doesnt mean they shouldnt take a runner but taking a Best clone when you still have Best probably didnt sit well with Mayhew/Schwartz. Vinny Curry could be a good player, I wont argue with you there but to say he fills a need is false - the Lions are stacked on the DL more than any other position and to me Trumaine Johnson looks like a player that isnt a lock to stay as a corner and really plays more like a safety, not to mention he was playing low level competition. Bentley, our 3rd pick, looks quicker and more fluid than Johnson and I think he will be a better corner early on. Remember Mayhew was a corner so he should have a keen eye on finding a player that fits our system. He missed on Spievey but he did land Houston via trade, Wright through FA and Aaron Berry undrafted. Bentley to me looks like a player that can cover slot WRs with his quickness and essentially fills the role of Eric Wright in 3 WR packages. The pressure is on Aaron Berry to increase his role but he showed that he can play last season.

Now back to Broyles, he is just 5 months out after surgery is running sub 4.6 which is outstanding. 4 months is the time at which the new ligament is felt to be stable and able to tolerate full speed running so he is likely just getting aggressive in his rehab for about a month or so. With 3 months to go before training camp he is making outstanding progress. Questions as far as if the knee is stable did the ACL reconstruction work are already answered, its just a matter of strengthening the rest of his leg back up at this point. I was initially shocked they went WR in Rd 2 also but thought they would take one at some point. There was a fairly big run on WR from the beginning of Rd 2 on and I doubt that Broyles would have lasted more than another 10 or 15 picks. IMO he will be better than Alshon Jeffery taken a little earlier, probably is as talented as AJ Jenkins taken in Round 1 and I like him a lot more than TJ Graham, Mohammed Sanu, and Devier Posey taken soon after Broyles went at No 54. The one player I really liked as a WR/Return man was TY Hilton from FIU but he still went fairly early at the end of Rd 3.

Anyway look at the the other top teams and there WRs - Green Bay with Jennings/Nelson/Jones/Driver/Cobb, Saints with Colston/Henderson/Moore (having lost Meachem), Giants with Nicks/Cruz/drafting Randle and having lost (Manningam), and now the 49ers adding to the mix with Moss/Crabtree/AJ Jenkins/Kyle Williams and a now Saints like assortment of RBs with Gore/Kendall Hunter, the power runner of Brandon Jacobs and the ultimate 3rd down back LaMichael James. Teams are going to spread you out and try to get your Alfonso Smith and Chris Harris type players on the field. I think its important to be able to do that to teams and the Lions are just a durable runner away from being incredibly difficult for D Coordinators to prepare for. On the flip side the depth at corner is very important but Im not sure you need star players - you just need to avoid having players that are liabilities and by adding Bentley and Jacob Lacey they essentially have pushed Brandon McDonald/Alfonso Smith off the field - they werent going to be able to add someone who could cover Jordy Nelson unless they got lucky and had Kirkpatrick or Gilmore fall in Rd 1.

April 28th, 2012, 10:13 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next