View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Highlight Reel 
Modmin Dude

Post Highlight Reel
Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Jets officially out of Law sweepstakes
The New York Daily News says CB Donnie Abraham's unexpected non-retirement fills a hole that never truly appeared on the Jets roster. So, they no longer need to court Ty Law.

The Jets' anticipated pursuit of free agent Ty Law, rumored for weeks, apparently isn't going to happen. They're out of the cornerback market because Donnie Abraham is back on the team. Not that he ever left.

The Free Press has an update on the Lions' interest in Law. It says an offer won't be extended until he's further along in rehabilitation on his broken left foot.

Mariucci declined to speculate on how he would use Law. "We're just trying to improve our team any way we can," he said. "See who's available, try to see who might fit in here and help ... within our scheme, our salary structure. All of those things need to be taken into consideration."

Print | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Clayton: Lions lead for Law
On SportsCenter, John Clayton reports in his Inside the Huddle segment that the Lions are now the leader in the clubhouse for Ty Law. He says the Jets don't need Law, and Miami is now second for the former U-M All American's services. Clayton also says Law's agent, Kevin Poston has a good relationship with the Lions, and that helps.

The Ty Law saga
I was headed to my grandmother's funeral when I heard a fuzzy, fading Stoney and Wojo Show reporting the Lions talked with Ty Law. So that's why I didn't get to a blog entry on that topic. I was a wee bit busy, but I'm back to lay it out for you. (Lay down the Law?) Here's an outline out of events, and the latest opinion today from ESPN Insider at the bottom.

May 11, Boston Globe: A brief appears saying Mariucci and Millen visited with Ty Law in Allen Park. A team source apparently told the Globe that Law showed enough physically for the Lions to make a decision on his ability.

May 11, MLive Lions forum: Kowalski hops into the forum, which I imagine was burning up with fresh posts dissecting the possibilities, to say it likely won't happen.

TomKowalski: the lions say they brought in ty law as part of their "due diligence'' and gave him a physical to see where he was health wise ... there have been no negotiations or anything like that ... the lions have them on their radar, but nothing is imminent ... as far as where he'd play, the lions haven't even discussed it -- the coaching staff is on vacation all this week ..
(law visited with the lions on tuesday) ...

May 12, Detroit Free Press: Curt Sylvester has quotes from Matt Millen on their interest.

"We had him in yesterday," Millen said Wednesday. "I met with him for most of the morning and into the afternoon. We gave him a physical, just wanted to see where he's at physically and just let him know we're interested when he's ready to go."
"He's just starting to run now," Millen said. "He's got some work ahead of him. We'll have to monitor it but I'd be very interested in him.

"You know the rule I always go back to -- you can never have enough corners. It's so true. Every time you turn around somebody gets hurt."

May 12, Detroit News: Mike O'Hara brings up finances, and features a telling quote from the infamous agent Kevin Poston.

Millen: "Finances are something you have to try to work out -- like every other team. But I wanted to see exactly where he is right now."

"Ty's going to get paid like he's supposed to get paid," Poston said.

May 12, Pro Football Weekly: Nothing new, except a little more examination on Law's worth.

Law, whose cap figure was expected to be $12.5 million in 2005 with New England, suffered a broken foot on Oct. 31 at Pittsburgh and was placed on injured reserve in December. Law had a screw removed from the foot this month.
The Patriots felt Law was inconsistent in ?04 and were often miffed by his up-and-down play. But the Lions, who were frustrated by the play of Fernando Bryant in Bryant?s first season in Detroit, view Law as an upgrade. By the same token, Detroit could face salary-cap hurdles depending on Law?s demands... One possibility? Restructuring the contract of QB Joey Harrington, whose cap figure is more than $10 million in 2005.

May 12, MLive Lions forum: This piece by Pro Football Weekly turned the focus to money, and Kowalski pops into the forum to set the record straight.

TomKowalski: as of wed. afternoon, the lions had not had ANY contract negotiations with ty law ... also, the lions aren't interested in restructuring harrington's contract ... i'm not saying law isn't a possibility to land in detroit, but the contract number has to be right ...

May 13, MLive Lions forum: The next leap of logic is not only a very popular old-bit topic, but it's actually applicable. Could Law move to safety, and fill a Lions' need? Kowalski weighs-in.

SportsFanMI: Tom do you think Law would play FS position?
TomKowalski: i'd be surprised if the lions signed law ... they've got some young guys who need to get on the field, like keith smith and terrence holt ... millen is one of the guys who really wants to see those guys play ... also, even if you think law would be a huge upgrade over bryant, they've got too much money wrapped up in bryant to make any moves now ... then again, you never know ...

May 13, Detroit News: In his weblog, Mike O'Hara explores what if the Lions sign him. Who will lose their job, who will be cut?

Fernando Bryant, signed as a free agent last year, missed 10 games because of a sprained ankle. He didn't make any impact, and he could be vulnerable if the Lions sign Law. The ripple effect could filter down on the depth chart. Andre Goodman and Chris Cash are going into their fourth seasons. They both won't be on the roster if the Lions sign Law. Next are two young cornerbacks, Keith Smith, a rookie in '04, and Stanley Wilson, a third-round pick in last month's draft. They both will have roster spots.

May 14, Miami Herald: Since the Dolphins are among the teams courting Law, the Herald featured a story talking about Law refusing to take a pay cut. The most interesting aspect of the story says the Lions are the team with the most interest in signing the veteran corner. Here are the Herald's quotes from Carl Poston.

''I don't think there's any question that Ty is still Ty Law,'' agent Carl Poston said during a radio interview Friday. ``He had the injury, but he's ahead of schedule.''
''He got the screws taken out about 10 or 12 days ago,'' Poston said. ``He's talked to some doctors with Miami and Kansas City and Detroit, and everybody's giving him the OK so he's in good shape.''

May 17, ESPN Insider: Former Saints GM Randy Mueller (once the apple of Lions' fans eyes, hoping to replace Millen) sounds like he's read all the stories before commenting, not that he's reporting anything new. He says as a GM, this is the perfect candidate to sign to a one-year deal, despite the Poston brothers' refusal for such a deal. Also, his agents MUST stop trying to set contract perameters in the media. That'll scare of any team that has just lukewarm interest. Being 31, coming off of injury, and having to cut a healthy player to make this deal may be too risky for any team.

Washington Post: Harrington has no excuses
The Washington Post jumps on the "Harrington has no excuses" bandwagon. This is what happens in an dead NFL period, and the demand for coverage is still out there. In any event, here are a couple of observations from Mark Maske's column that stood out. Otherwise, nothing is new.

The team's decision-makers, like its fans, apparently are becoming impatient with Harrington as he enters his fourth NFL season. As if there wasn't enough pressure on him already, the heat on him intensified when the Lions signed veteran quarterback Jeff Garcia in free agency and used their first-round draft selection on former USC wide receiver Mike Williams.
The Lions actually are making progress. Their victory total has gone from two in 2001 to three in 2002 to five in 2003 to six last season. But in all rebuilding projects, there is a time for a team to cross the threshold from loser to winner, and that time has arrived for the Lions. The NFC won't be such a forgiving conference forever, and the patience with Harrington is about to run out.

May 18th, 2005, 11:06 am
Site Admin

May 18th, 2005, 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

just when you think your all read up downtown.gif

May 18th, 2005, 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]