View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 MY SLEEPER TEAM IN 2005 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post MY SLEEPER TEAM IN 2005
THE BALTIMORE RAVENS

we know the defense is the best in the league.

the offense will be greatly improved with jamal lewis out of jail,
todd heap healthy, the additions of derrick mason and drafting mark clayton from oklahoma.

i have seen their schedule and they should win 12 games.

go ahead let me have it !!!!!!!!

what's your opinion ?

May 18th, 2005, 11:14 am
RIP Killer

It all depends on how much offense they can muster, and how well the defense adapts to their alignment change. Hartwell was a solid player for them. Adding Rolle will upgrade their pass defense, but they are still shaky back there, even with Ed Reed. It will be interesting to see how well Boller plays with good receivers. Most of it hangs on his shoulders.

May 18th, 2005, 11:47 am
RIP Killer

Panthers - came off a Super Bowl appearance only to lose their top two running backs, top wide out, etc... and still fought like crazy to make the playoffs. I know they lost MM, but I'm not impressed with that division.

I like the Ravens, but need to see Boeller prove something (even more so than Joey). J. Lewis scares me with his injury and off-the-field history as well.

The Cowboys, as much as I hate to admit it, had a solid off season. Outside of Philly, the Deadskins and G-Men are weak. If Bledsoe has anything left they should turn it around.

Truth is, in todays NFL every team is a potential sleeper (with a few noteable exceptions). [/i]

May 18th, 2005, 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I would agree that BAL will be formidable, but it that really such a stretch? They were nearly a playoff team last season. I do expect them to make a splash this season, because of that always-solid D and the impressive additions to the offense (Jamal has to be counted as one, since he missed quite a bit last season).

The bigger sleeper team is Arizona (much to Brian's delight--and the chagrin of everyone else, I'm sure). They had an incredible draft, which could easily net them 5 starters). They have a dangerous corps of WRs (Fitz and Bolden are stars). Also, I expect that Kurt Warner will have one of the shortest learning curves because he is a vet who knows how to move the ball. He takes a lot of heat, but just remember what he did for the G-men, who were supposed to be dreadfully-awful, last season. Finally, they have lots of cap room left to make a big run at any of the June 1 cuts...hell, they could still land Edgerrin or T-Henry via trade.

The NFC west inhales vigorously; and the team's mascot finally looks ready to put up a fight (although I still wish they had the ridiculous teeth like the Louisville model!).

Arizona could win the division. IMHO, that would be a surprise worth predicting.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

May 18th, 2005, 12:27 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Quote:
Adding Rolle will upgrade their pass defense, but they are still shaky back there, even with Ed Reed.

mike we are almost always on the same page but if i read this correctly and "back there" stands for the secondary then to say that samari
rolle, chris mccallister and ed reed will be shaky actually blows my mind.

i can positively say it is the best secondary period!!!!!!!

the only concern i have for baltimore is boller.

not a fan just think they will be very very good this year.

May 18th, 2005, 2:29 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Quote:
The bigger sleeper team is Arizona

i think arizona will be much improved; however, riding the hopes of jj arrington is shaky at best.
and not to mention troy hambrick - ouch!!!!!!!!!

their defense actually surprised and played well.

their o'line with all the money poured into it was average at best.

they do have good wr's but their qb's are weak.
warner & mccown - double ouch !!!!!!!!!!!

good pick though.

your probably right baltimore might not be a sleeper but they will be good.

May 18th, 2005, 2:35 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Baltimore has been legit since the first week of FA. Let alone the fact they had one of the best drafts in the league. Arizona will be good and I think they will take 2nd in the West behind the Rams. Seattle surprised a lot of teams a couple of years ago that is why they had a good record. When people were expecting that they would do good they folded like a seven duce off suit.

May 18th, 2005, 3:17 pm
RIP Killer

mike wrote:

Quote:
Adding Rolle will upgrade their pass defense, but they are still shaky back there, even with Ed Reed.

mike we are almost always on the same page but if i read this correctly and "back there" stands for the secondary then to say that samari
rolle, chris mccallister and ed reed will be shaky actually blows my mind.

i can positively say it is the best secondary period!!!!!!!

the only concern i have for baltimore is boller.

not a fan just think they will be very very good this year.

McAlister is a true shutdown CB and is physical. However, Rolle is a streaky player, IMHO and has had problems with physical receivers. Beyond those two, there is nothing for depth. Rolle is not a solid tackler either. Do they have a better than average secondary? Of course. But I just don't feel they are as solid as everyone wants to believe.

May 18th, 2005, 4:11 pm
Varsity Captain

I wouldnt consider the Ravens a sleeper pick at all, I think they will beat the steelers out for the division title. Definatly not a sleeper.

I expect tp see a comeback from the chiefs(also not a stretch) a solid year from the Jags and Bengals possible playoff spots for both, and my personal sleeper is the cardinals taking the weakest division in football, and gaining a playoff berth.

May 18th, 2005, 4:21 pm
RIP Killer

Also, I expect that Kurt Warner will have one of the shortest learning curves because he is a vet who knows how to move the ball. He takes a lot of heat, but just remember what he did for the G-men, who were supposed to be dreadfully-awful, last season.

Arizona could win the division. IMHO, that would be a surprise worth predicting.

The G-men were dreadful last season. Warner fumbled a lot and lost his job to a rookie. He did throw for over 60% and 2000 yards before losing his job to Eli though. Not bad. Granted, the Cards could easily win their weak division without much of a fight.

May 18th, 2005, 5:10 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Kurt Warner did not lose his job nearly as early as most would have predicted [be honest!]. When the season started, it was an imminent inevitability that Eli would take over at some point, so I feel it is patently unfair for you to suggest that Kurt Warner "lost his starting job to a rookie." It just isn't fair to make that kind of an assertion while ignoring the mitigating factors: 1) Kurt was also new to the offense, and under his surprisingly successful lead, the G-men started out like 5-2. That record was better than ANYBODY expected from such a bad team. To imply that Kurt was not a major factor in that great start is just plain idiotic. Especially considering that the mortgage-your-team's-immediate-future-for me because I AM a prodigious dream child went 1-6.
2) NYG's WR was simply terrible last season...2 tds among them....
3) He put the ball on the ground 12 times, but only 4 of those were actually lost. He had 2000 yds, 6 tds and 4 Ints in 10 games. Wonderkid had 1000 yds, 9 ints, 3 fum (one lost), and 6 tds.

Anyhoo, point is only that Warner played well considering his circumstance last season...take it easy. Can you debate that he is not an improvement over Josh McCown?

2005lion, jj Arrington as the starting RB IS a scary proposition. However, ARZ has quite a bit of jack remaining under the cap, so expect Denny Green to nab somebody. Like I mentioned earlier, the crop of available RBs in the market is impressive: T. Henry, Edge, Shaun Alex (if they got him, it would virtually ensure that ARZ could beat SEA twice this season), plus any other June 1 cuts we don't know about yet.

May 18th, 2005, 6:08 pm
RIP Killer

Hold up, I believe I said that he had over 2000 passing yards and a 62% completion rate. How does that imply that he was horrible or played badly?

Eli didn't necessarily have to start, did Rivers? I'm not saying Eli played great, he played like crap. He did, however, get better as the season progressed. Warner seemed to get worse. Either way, Manning was put in, and left in. That was my point. Maybe Coughlin likes to stick with a QB and doesn't like to rotate like Zona does, I don't know.

The Giants WRs were horrible, and I know this. Shockey had 6 (he may not be a WR, but he still catches the ball - Gates, Gonzales, Crumpler are practically the main ball catchers for their teams). Either way, their WRs do suck and their #1 man is their TE...not too heart warming for any QB.

If I can back Joey and his horrid WRs in 2002, I can back Warner and say he did a good job with the cast he had last year...okay, so Shockey and Barber were MUCH better than what Joey had in 02.

Either way, I'm not disputing what you said, I was saying that he wasn't stellar (ala Brees). There was huge room for improvement. He's no Favre (he can't make turd receivers look great). In St. Louis he had Bruce and Holt...two top 5 WRs last year.

McCown is a career backup IMO. There's no denying Warner's an upgrade, but I don't believe I ever said he wasn't.

May 18th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Div 1 - Starter

conversion, ok, we're square. I know you tempered your criticism with an acknowledgement of Warner's stats, but I guess I still felt that you might be one of the many who have been unfairly critical of Warner since he regressed in STL. I understand your position more clearly now.

So meanwhile I am waiting for Brian to come on and enjoy all the hype for his other team.

Does anybody else care to go out on a limb by predicting another sleeper for the season?

How about bust of the season? I feel like the Falcons and the Seahawks could both have rough seasons....

IMO, ATL is way overrated, due to a certain iconic star...they will go as far as their defense takes them, which shouldn't be very far. I think CAR, NO, and TB will all be tough matchups, which spells a long season for the birds. Unless the Lip-Glossed One dramatically improves the accuracy of his on-board cannon (a la McNabb), they could easily go 8-8. The wild card would be Jim Mora, JR. I love his style.

SEA, on the other hand, tends to go as Shaun Alexander goes. Their road record is very sketchy. Their WRs were subpar last season, and I don't think they improved at all. They showed little faith in Hasselbeck and Alexander during/after the wildcard playoff game, so it is no stretch to assume that these guys might be unwilling to go all out for this team again. Holmgren has got to be teetering on the edge. Finally, defense is definitely NOt this team's strong suit. I expect STL and possibly ARZ to bat them around, especially if Alexander gets traded.

May 18th, 2005, 8:11 pm
RIP Killer

I seriously thought that after the draft, the Ravens will be the team to beat this year. It all lies on Boeller's shoulders. And Mark Clayton's...the Ravens are going to expect a HUGE year from him as well as from Mason. I wouldn't really consider Baltimore a "sleeper" team though.

I think the Seahawks will be pretty good, but fail to meet Holmgren expectations once again. They didn't upgrade enough in order to be a SB winner IMO.

The Cards, obviously. They've had a great offseason and will a team to beat in the NFC...assuming everyone can click and work as a team. All their solid draft picks (Rolle, Arrington, Blackstock, Green, and Brown) have to contribute 110% ASAP. 5 picks playing to their potential is unlikely though...LJ Shelton was just released by the Cards today

Carolina and Cincinnati will be "sleeper" teams this year...if you can call them that. Both teams were around the middle of the pack last year. I pick Cinci because they're my other fav team (it's like 80% Lions, 20% Cinci).

Jerry Rice going to Denver???

May 18th, 2005, 9:23 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Denver is going to have hella news going on at their offseason events with another public interest story to add to the Clarett spectacle...if they bring Brock Lesnar to camp, they'll get more press than the TO/McNabb soap opera....

May 18th, 2005, 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next