View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions rookies talk about the fun of knocking an opponent out 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions rookies talk about the fun of knocking an opponent
UK Lion wrote:
What's tough about enjoying giving someone a concussion?

Stepping on the field, giving out and putting yourself at risk of big hits. That's tough.

Enjoying it when one of your big hits results in a good play? That's cool.

Enjoying it when one of your big hits injures an opponent? I don't get that at all.

I played rugby for nearly ten years. Everytime I stepped on the pitch I knew there was a chance I might get injured (a few times I did) or that I might cause an injury (happened occasionally). The possibility of causing people pain wasn't why I wanted to play the game, though. It was a side effect. I didn't shirk from it, I played the game hard and within the rules and expected my opponents to play the game the same way. I played with some of the toughest people I've met - none of whom wanted to hurt anyone (although they often did).

I don't get why people like this attitude, think it's essential or an important part of the game, or why people think that having an issue with this attitude is "going all powder puff". You don't need this attitude to deliver hard hits in football.

I understand what you're saying UK, but neither of the Lewis' said they were out there to hurt someone. That is a by product of going out there and hitting someone hard. And in the heat of the moment with your adrenaline pumping full force, a player will typically get pretty geeked over that hit. Watching someone stumble around like a drunk is going to make some people laugh. That's just the way it is. Initial reaction is laughter....and then after a couple of seconds you may become concerned. But from a players standpoint, they HAVE to bring that level of play to the NFL or their career is over. If you aren't hitting someone, they'll be hitting you. Just ask Chad Clifton.

While I may not be all pumped about what they are saying, I can understand where they are coming from. They are being truthful, and their mindset is that of a rookie entering into a league where the dangers have increased ten fold from the collegiate level. The thing I do agree with is that this long after giving a player a concussion, they shouldn't be bragging about it or even talking about it. Old news, put it in the past.

May 18th, 2012, 8:30 am
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: Lions rookies talk about the fun of knocking an opponent
m2karateman wrote:
from a players standpoint, they HAVE to bring that level of play to the NFL or their career is over. If you aren't hitting someone, they'll be hitting you.

I completely agree with this, and was trying to get that across in my post. I have no problem with them delivering big hits - I actively want them to! That's different to the issue of their reaction to the effects of those hits.

m2karateman wrote:
in the heat of the moment with your adrenaline pumping full force, a player will typically get pretty geeked over that hit.

Again, I agree. Heat of the moment reactions - given the adrenaline going and the mindest you have to be in to play the game the best you can - are entirely forgivable IMO.

But then you have ...
m2karateman wrote:
The thing I do agree with is that this long after giving a player a concussion, they shouldn't be bragging about it or even talking about it. Old news, put it in the past.

Again, completely agree. And this was what my post was trying to get at.

To me, bringing this up and boasting about it speaks to a poor attitude towards the game and their fellow competitors.

Go out there and beat the hell out of each other for 60 minutes. Maybe have a few inappropriate reactions in the heat of battle. But to be boasting weeks and months after about how you hurt someone? Not good, IMO.

And for those that think this is powederpuff - please read sentence 1 of the above paragraph again. It isn't.

May 18th, 2012, 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2