View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Mike Williams' attitude problematic 
RIP Killer

Post Mike Williams' attitude problematic
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7330443/

Quote:
However, there's no doubt about talent of ex-USC receiver

Former USC star Mike Williams could be as great as Randy Moss ? and as much as a pain in the behind ? writes columnist Michael Ventre.

By Michael Ventre
NBCSports.com contributor

Mike Williams could be the next Randy Moss. That means he might become one of the NFL?s most productive and game-breaking receivers. It also means he could become a real pain in the behind.

Scouts are extremely high on Williams, as they should be. Before he formed a misguided alliance with Maurice Clarett in a foolhardy attempt to jump to the pros early, Williams had been a dominant wideout. He was big, strong, tough, physical, fast and reliable. After suffering a case of the dropsies early in his freshman year, he went on to post two spectacular seasons with the Trojans.

Williams went 10th to the Detroit Lions in the NFL draft Saturday, which means he could combine with Roy Williams and Charlie Rogers to form one of the most dangerous receiving trios in recent memory.

That?s the good news.

The bad? The young man has a touch of attitude. As we have seen before, when large sums of money and the spotlight of intense fame hit a kid like that, he can turn from incredible to insufferable ? sometimes during the same game.

As a Trojan under coach Pete Carroll, Williams was often the truant who was a regular in detention. More than once he did punishment drills for being late to practice. He had a blowup on the sideline during a game after he criticized the team?s kicker for having a bad day.

After his sophomore season, he gave an interview to the Daily Trojan that ripped some teammates for not being winners. Needless to say, it didn?t sit well with fans and alumni, not to mention coaches and players. Offensive coordinator Norm Chow alluded to Williams? work habits, which he suggested needed work.

Then there was the ill-fated attempt to jump to the NFL. Carroll and others strongly advised him not to sign with an agent and to keep attending classes in order to preserve his eligibility in case the courts eventually ruled against him and Clarett. Williams stubbornly ignored that advice, and his eventual request for reinstatement was denied.

After that episode, he groused publicly about the USC coaches, saying that they were only too eager to keep in touch with him while he still had a chance to play for the Trojans, but they stopped calling as soon as it was clear he wouldn?t. Whether that is true, it begs the question: Why would they keep calling if Williams continually dismissed their advice?

This is not to suggest that Williams is a bad guy. He could have just been an immature guy, someone who became intoxicated by his collegiate success and began to think he was above the team. He had a lot of positives as well, not the least of which was a habit of praising quarterback Matt Leinart for doing an exceptional job of getting him the football.

And there is little to criticize in terms of his performances in games. He destroyed opposing secondaries. He made one-handed grabs. He made clutch catches. He has a brawy frame and he would often gain extra yardage after the catch because of it. He may not have burner speed, but he has enough quickness to get himself open, and he?s fleet enough to break away from most defensive backs, even in the NFL.

advertisementBut Moss had many of these same attributes. It was his sullenness that wore out folks in Minnesota. It was said that he took plays off and that he bristled when asked to work harder. That created scrutiny, to which he responded poorly. Eventually he bought himself a ticket to Oakland.

Michigan?s Edwards, though, has endured some of the same complaints, especially earlier in his career. He was not always a favorite of his coaches, but in games he excelled and his phenomenal ability overshadowed any rumblings of an attitude problem.

He could be a Pro Bowler. So could Williams.

Or each could devolve into an egomaniacal nightmare.

Some young players grow up quickly when thrown into the NFL cauldron. Let?s hope this happens with Williams. It?s always more fun to see a player reach his potential. If Williams does, he will amaze football fans for years. At his best Williams can do for a team what Owens did for the Eagles last season.

But there are no guarantees in this pricey game. Because of the stakes involved, team executives go to absurd lengths sometimes to gauge a player?s mental toughness and character, but those are areas that are constantly evolving. Sometimes only when the variables of money, fame and expectations are introduced to the equation do we find out who?s who.

With Mike Williams, the Detroit Lions are about to find out.

May 19th, 2005, 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

MIKE WILLIAMS IS RANDY MOSS WOOHOOOO!!! \:D/

Sorry...I didn't hear anything else that was said \:D/

May 19th, 2005, 9:58 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

That article certainly begs the question, "will there be enough passes to go around to all of our receivers?" Given the fact that Roy hasn't had to share space with Charles, and now Mike Williams and Kevin Johnson are included along with Marcus Pollard, how can all of these players be kept happy? Will they be content with a limited role? Will there be animosity in the locker room? Will Joey be the target of accusations of favoritism and criticism of his target selections? Will Mooch get the heat instead?

Tune in during the month of August and find out during the next seasonal episode of...........AS THE LIONS ROAR.

May 19th, 2005, 10:03 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I'm more worried about keeping them all healthy than happy.

May 19th, 2005, 10:12 am
Hall of Fame Player

"You shall join me on the dark side of the force young Williams...

Together we will cause havoc for the Detroit Lions."

May 19th, 2005, 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

If he catches 13 TDs, He can say any thing he damn well feels about pete caroll and Norm Chow.

May 19th, 2005, 11:51 am
Pro Bowl Player

I can see everyone remaining happy so long as Detroit is winning

when we lose a couple though... we will find out what were dealing with in terms of egomaniacs.

IMO

1. Charles Rogers injury has if nothing else taught him humility... He should be happy to be on the field

2. Mike Wiliams should be happy just to be on the field as well... Maybe he is a little more mature and a little more humble after his year off and that might help his attitude on the field?

3. the more single coverage Roy Williams is in the More spectacular he will be, and he should never complain about single coverage

4. Kevin Johnson and Marcus Pollard are veterans.. Johnson should have fun with the younger guys, In reality he makes his money and gets looked up to as a leader and veterans love that (I would think). Marcus Pollard is used to having elite recievers around him.. He will feel at home

May 19th, 2005, 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I guess I can't really see Williams being a problem child for the Lions. If Mike catches 15% of Joey's total completed passes, I think he'll be happy. That'd be around 45-50 catches. 50 catches, 550 yards and 9 TDs (hypothetical) isn't bad for a rookie slot receiver.

May 19th, 2005, 12:46 pm
League MVP

at least mike williams did not purchase a Bentley pre-draft and name it Black Beauty tell everyone how handsome he is then shamelessly do whatever he could to get in the spotlight on draft day, good luck in Cleveland

May 19th, 2005, 3:20 pm
RIP Killer

at least mike williams did not purchase a Bentley pre-draft and name it Black Beauty tell everyone how handsome he is then shamelessly do whatever he could to get in the spotlight on draft day, good luck in Cleveland

Speaking of which...I remember reading this article awhile back and thought I would share...Not sure if this is the article you read or not Legend...I remember saying "Wow, this guy's a tool."

NFL DRAFT PREVIEW: MR. NO. 1? Fully loaded Edwards thinks he's best
April 21, 2005

Before leaving Wednesday for New York and the NFL draft, Braylon Edwards wanted to get one thing straight. He does not drive a $250,000 car.

"That's ridiculous," he said.

The black 2005 Bentley Continental GT that he calls "Black Beauty" would have been $170,000, he said. But because he got a "good deal," it was only $140,000.

"Two-fifty is not one-forty," he said.

OK. Fine. The rumors are untrue.

But a Bentley's still a Bentley, and even Edwards has to acknowledge his wheels show how far he has come.

He got his first car three years ago, a white 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix he called "White Lightning." And now -- after setting several records and winning a bunch of awards at Michigan -- he's expected to be not only one of the first wide receivers taken Saturday, but one of the first players taken, period.

The money is already coming in from various deals -- the Bentley's paid off, thank you -- and he hasn't even signed the inevitable multimillion-dollar contract yet. He's living in another world.

"A Bentley is different in a lot of ways," Edwards, 22, said in a news conference, standing behind a lectern at Crisler Arena, wearing diamond earrings and a gray Sean John sweatsuit. "It's not a Mercedes. It's not a Jaguar. Those are exclusive cars, but you see them a lot. With a Bentley, especially the Bentley coupe, nobody has one -- in Ann Arbor, at least, even down in Detroit. So you get a lot of heads that turn."

Edwards said he pulled up next to a Mercedes S600 at a light, and the driver of that "beautiful car" stared, rolled down the window and peppered him with questions.

"It's fun driving it," he said. "It drives real smooth. It's real fast, and you get a lot of compliments on it."

Edwards said he would miss Michigan. When he had an emotional farewell meeting with U-M coach Lloyd Carr recently, he realized his college career was over. When he went out with former U-M teammate and fellow NFL prospect Marlin Jackson on Tuesday night, he realized it was his last taste of campus life.

But Edwards doesn't need to be reminded about the benefits of moving on and moving up. Consider his meeting with his old coach took place in the Bentley (Carr wanted a ride in The Car). Consider how he has been in the company of people like a top Visa executive and pro team owners. Consider what happened when he called his marketer to say he needed some golf clubs for all the events he would be playing in.

"He said, 'I'm on it,' " Edwards said. "He called me back and said, 'Callaway or Titleist? Which direction do we want to go in?' He does his job."

Edwards has so many people working for him -- agents, marketers, financial advisers -- they sat down for a dinner to make sure they didn't step on each other's toes.

"Basically, all their jobs is to make me money," Edwards said. "That's what they have in common."

Edwards has big plans, on the field and off.

Some teams reportedly have him at the top of their draft boards, and he thinks they should.

"I believe I'm the best player in the draft," Edwards said. "I don't think there's any reason why I can't go to the NFL and dominate."

Edwards said his marketer told him all the time that he could be "the biggest thing since sliced bread," and he gave three reasons why:

One, he speaks and presents himself well.

"Two," Edwards said, "I'm handsome. It's safe to say."

Three, he works hard and stays out of trouble.

But for now, while dreaming of how he might look in different uniforms, Edwards is trying to stay cool.

"The main thing is just getting a chance to get into the NFL," he said. "I'm not stressed out about the possibility of going one or seven. Wherever I land is going to be where I'm going to land, so I'm just enjoying the moment."

He has been getting a lot of advice from Pittsburgh running back Jerome Bettis, a fellow Detroiter who has known him for years through football camp. He has been thinking of wearing No. 17 or No. 80 instead of his college No. 1 in the NFL, because he doesn't want to be perceived as selfish. And, of course, he has been figuring out what to wear Saturday.

Edwards said he received 75 offers of a complimentary suit for the draft.

"It's flattering," he said. "Don't get me wrong. But it gets to a point where it's like, 'I can't try everybody's suit out. I can't wear 75 different draft suits.' "

While Edwards wouldn't reveal any details, he described the one he would wear the way he did the Bentley.

"It's smooth," he said. "I'll tell you that."

May 19th, 2005, 3:28 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Arrogance is commonly perceived as a vice. In this off season where flimsey characters are on display the mere evocation of the concept breeds unease. However, it is ultimately a word that is applied variously to describe disparate forms of personal behavior. In certain social situations, like the football field, for instance, demanding the ball may be alternatively, and more favorably, construed as leadership. Also, arrogance may exist in the eye of the beholder. The arrogance associated with missing practices might as the author suggests be ultimately pinned on immaturity. In any case, USC is history, and from what we have seen so far, BMW has been humble, dedicated, and willing to play behind and accept a subordinate role to C-Rog and RW. Let's see how things transpire.

May 20th, 2005, 1:46 pm
RIP Killer

Arrogance is commonly perceived as a vice. In this off season where flimsey characters are on display the mere evocation of the concept breeds unease. However, it is ultimately a word that is applied variously to describe disparate forms of personal behavior. In certain social situations, like the football field, for instance, demanding the ball may be alternatively, and more favorably, construed as leadership. Also, arrogance may exist in the eye of the beholder. The arrogance associated with missing practices might as the author suggests be ultimately pinned on immaturity. In any case, USC is history, and from what we have seen so far, BMW has been humble, dedicated, and willing to play behind and accept a subordinate role to C-Rog and RW. Let's see how things transpire.

The operative here is so far. In his first year in the NFL, Randy Moss kept to himself and let his talking take place on the football field. I think that Williams will do the same. I believe Williams felt he should have been taken much sooner than tenth overall, much like Moss felt he should have been taken sooner as well.
To this point, you are right, all indications show BMW as being a quality team player willing to work for his recognition. Let's hope he remains humble and understands the concept of team play.

May 20th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Junior Varsity

Let's all hope that he takes the role others have taken when picked later than they thought they should (which is everyone except #1); let's hope he keeps his mouth shut and proves he should have been taken earlier with his play.

May 20th, 2005, 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]