View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 12:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Bill Ford Jr. says some young Lions better get their acts to 
Modmin Dude

Post Bill Ford Jr. says some young Lions better get their acts to
PFT wrote:
Bill Ford Jr. says some young Lions better get their acts together
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 31, 2012, 8:47 PM EDT

Lions owner William Clay Ford inexplicably stood by team president Matt Millen for years, but Ford’s son, team vice chairman Bill Ford Jr., finally spurred his dad to fire Millen in September of 2008. Ford Jr. went public with his frustrations about Millen’s stewardship of the team on September 22, and two days later Ford Sr. finally did what Detroit fans had begged him to do for years and fired Millen.

That suggests that when you’re a member of the Lions organization, your job is in jeopardy if Bill Ford Jr. calls you out publicly. And that’s bad news for the young Lions players who have been getting into trouble this offseason, because Ford Jr. said on WJR in Detroit that he’s fed up with the immaturity from certain members of the Lions, and he expects it to change.

“Unfortunately it’s just a couple guys who are just tainting our whole image,” Ford said. “There’s no question, some of our young guys better get their act together because that’s not the way you become a professional. The good news is we’ve got some great veteran leadership on our team that are great guys and can set the tone and I suspect it’s going to be those veterans who are really going to get these guys back in line.”

Ford didn’t mention by name which guys are tainting the Lions’ image, but he was clearly referring to the three players the Lions drafted in the first two rounds last year: Nick Fairley (who was arrested once this year for marijuana possession and once for drunk driving), Titus Young (who was sent home from Organized Team Activities for sucker punching a teammate) and Mikel Leshoure (who has been arrested twice this year for marijuana possession). It’s very rare for a team to cut a player who’s just a year removed from being a first- or second-round pick, but Ford has put those players on notice: If they don’t shape up, their jobs aren’t safe.

June 1st, 2012, 1:28 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Re: Bill Ford Jr. says some young Lions better get their act
F**K Yes.

It's not often we hear things from the top of our organization but this was a good message. It needed to be said.

June 2nd, 2012, 11:15 am
All State

AMEN!!! Hopefully this is a good sign that Jr. is pushing his weight around with the F.O. and letting them know that it won't be tolerated in the future.

While Fairley or LeShore haven't murdered anyone (though Fairley could have the way he was driving drunk), it's the kind of stupidity that shows blatant disregard to upholding their end of the bargain as a teammate and essentially as an employee of the team. Getting arrested multiple times in a short time span shows that you're either stupid or you just don't care.

There's something to be said for being young and getting this HUGE paycheck suddenly, but at the same time it amazes me that anyone would do something that would put that at risk. Hell if someone told me I could make in a few years what I would most likely have made IN A LIFETIME I'd act like I was joining a monastery!

Fairley should have been sitting in his condo, hotel, or where ever the hell he lives in Detroit lifting weights for the weekend and going over plays, not flying home to get wasted when he had OTAs still going on. LeShore should have learned from the first time.

The reality is neither of these guys did much of anything to make the team 10-6 last year.

The D Line would be fine for a few years without him on the shoulders of Suh, Williams, and SLH alone.

LeShore should be much smarter in this situation because nobody values his position anymore. They can always draft another RB in the first few rounds next year. Forte can't get a new contract, Rice is having issues with his, Mendenhall should probably NOT be resigned by the Steelers, Chris Johnson had to fight for his (then he sucked), etc. If anything, watching his own teammate have a near EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN on the field after getting his chance to come back and play again. In 3 short years he went from having a near 1,000 yard rookie season to being plagued by injuries and sitting on his couch until the Lions called him back because they were running out of RBs. If that doesn't make you realize that your time career could be VERY short I don't know what does.

I hope the Jr. and the F.O. but those 2 on notice and let them know that they are on a "contract year" in terms of earning the trust of their coaches and teammates back. IMO it should be 3 strikes and you are done. Plenty of other teams have cut highly paid, high profile busts in short time spans.

As far as "veterans stepping up and straightening them out", more of that should be happening too. I kind of understand where Corey Williams is coming from when he said "I'll let the coaches handle that" and it's not his job to keep his teammates in line, but at the same time there IS more that he could be doing as a teammate.

They should be STRONGLY ENCOURAGING any of these guys that have been in trouble to help out at youth football camps, visiting hospitals, charity events, etc. Show them that there's some responsibility that they should be taking on as being rolemodels and helping out the community at large around them. You just got a few million a year pay check. Giving $15,000 or $20,000 here and there which isn't much to them but is plenty to us "mere mortals" in the REAL WORLD would go along way. Stafford donating tickets and then buying them back for that family at that recent children's hospital fundraiser wasn't much of a dent out of his pocket in comparison to what he actually earns, but it sure was a great example of good will and character.

They should be inviting them to social functions together if it means they are keeping them from getting into trouble. Sims apparently has a bunch of guys over for dinner during the season and even has chiropractors and massage therapists on hand, Fairley and LeShore sure as hell should get an invitation.

They should be pushing each other in practice to become better players. Give'em a reason to put in extra time in the weight room or with a playbook instead of getting drunk or high.

Overall, teammates should be doing something more then saying "don't be a dumb @$$", they should be leading them by example and giving these kids opportunities to prove themselves and show that they are making an effort to go down the right path.

June 4th, 2012, 2:08 am
RIP Killer

I like that Junior came out and said this. Sometimes I suspect that the players don't see the coaches as their boss, but rather more of a team mate. With WCF Jr coming out and stating this, they are being told by the head of the company to get back on track or suffer the consequences.

GOOD!!

As for Corey Williams saying that he'll let the coaches handle it...well, I have mixed feelings on that. He's being paid VERY well for his "veteran" presence. So in that regard I don't like his statement. However, he may simply be stating the "company line" that he was fed. If too many players come out and say that they'll help handle the younger players, it would seem to create the idea that the coach doesn't handle things like he should.

Whatever the case, I like what Bill Ford Jr. had to say. Now just be willing to follow through with it if they f*** up again.

June 4th, 2012, 10:28 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post 'dumb decision' earns Titus Young spot on Lions' bench
The Detroit News wrote:
September 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Chris McCosky's Four Downs: 'dumb decision' earns Titus Young spot on Lions' bench

Chris McCosky

First down
You'd think with the birth of a son and a name change to Titus Demetrius Young Sr. that he'd have shown a bit more restraint — especially after his hot temper put him in the doghouse with coaches and teammates last season.

Not so much.

At the end of the first half, as the St. Louis Rams were scoring on a 31-yard pick-six by Cortland Finnegan, Young got involved in a verbal joust with a couple of Rams players. One of them was rookie Janoris Jenkins, who was talking more than a rookie ought to throughout the game.

"He didn't do a smart thing," coach Jim Schwartz said of Young.

Young cost the Lions 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff when he head-butted Jenkins.

"We knew what was going to happen in some situations," Schwartz said, referring to some of the extra-curriculars of Jenkins and Finnegan. "He and a couple of guys were going back and forth, and the whole thing was right in front of me. It looked like he was going to do the right thing and walk away, but at the last second he turned and made a really dumb decision."

Young was benched for the start of the third quarter.

Second down
The Lions' John Wendling was as baffled as anybody when the Rams' big left tackle Rodger Saffold collapsed to the ground with 9:45 left in the game.

"I don't know what happened," Wendling said.

Saffold had hogtied Wendling, who was blitzing on a play in which the Rams scored — a 23-yard pass from Sam Bradford to Brandon Gibson. Saffold had both arms draped around Wendling's shoulders.

Then Saffold fell. There was no contact.

"I felt like he had control of me," Wendling said. "I didn't give him a real shot or anything. I hope he's all right."

Saffold was put on a stretcher, carted out of Ford Field and rushed to the hospital. The Rams said it was a neck injury.

"What I can report to you is that he was conscious," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "He was alert and he had strength and movement in his arms and legs. So I think this is more of a precautionary deal. There is a chance he will come home with us."

Third down
Fisher isn't the third-winningest active coach in the NFL for nothing. He knew the Lions' offense inside and out, and he knew that for his team to stay in contention, he was going to have to shorten the game in every way possible.

He did so on offense the conventional way, by giving the ball to running back Steven Jackson a ton and attacking the Lions' fierce pass rush with quick-release passes.

But Fisher did so with his defense, too.

"They played a bend-don't-break style trying not to give up big plays and trying to make us burn a lot of clock and to shorten the game," Schwartz said. "We fell into that (trap) a bit."

The Rams secondary played well off the line of scrimmage, forcing quarterback Matthew Stafford to either throw short or thread the needle into heavy coverage late. On the three Stafford interceptions, Jenkins, Finnegan and linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar all made perfect reads -- as if they knew what was coming.

"Just realizing when they come into the red zone, they don't have that many plays," said Jenkins, who perfectly read a back-shoulder pass to Tony Scheffler. "They like their big receivers, who are really good receivers, and they like that back-shoulder fade."

Fisher also made a smart move using his No. 3 cornerback Bradley Fletcher on Calvin Johnson. Fletcher had more size than Jenkins or Finnegan.

"That was the way we designed it, and I think he did a nice job," Fisher said. "We put him on Johnson knowing that he was going to get help at times and be in a rotation at times."

Johnson still managed six catches for 111 yards. He was only targeted seven times, though, which can be construed as a moral victory.

Fourth down
Had it not been for Stafford's late heroics, there would have been a lot of teeth-gnashing over two plays at the start of the fourth quarter that ultimately led to the Rams taking a 20-13 lead with 9:45 left.

Play one: Defensive tackle Corey Williams, who was stout all day, blasted Bradford from behind and forced a fumble. Justin Durant had a chance to fall on it or scoop it up at the Rams 8. He did neither, and the Rams recovered.

Play two: The Lions did force a punt, and rookie Johnny Hekker blasted a 57-yarder. Making it worse, Stefan Logan was tackled for a 6-yard loss and, the capper, rookie Jonte Green was called for holding.

So, instead of first-and-goal at the Rams 8, the Lions started at their own 8.

"Jonte, that was a rookie mistake there," Schwartz said. "They really flipped the field on us. At the time, that was a big play and we did a good job overcoming that. That had the potential to be a situation that cost us the game."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z265Ge80WO

I like Titus' potential as a receiver; but I'm already worn out and bored with the immaturity and the antics. Especially when we get whacked 15 yds for it.

We don't need this nonsense in Sundays game vs. the 49ers and if he actually gets better as a player, I suspect he'll just become more self absorbed and difficult to manage.

The "Young Sr." jersey is a fricken joke! Just more show boating and foolishness. I'm disappointed that they even allowed that to happen.

He needs to be benched for a whole game. Let him stay in Detroit and not even go to San Fran this weekend. Just make him a healthy scratch to get his attention.

September 10th, 2012, 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: 'dumb decision' earns Titus Young spot on Lions' bench
LionFan57 wrote:
The Detroit News wrote:
September 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Chris McCosky's Four Downs: 'dumb decision' earns Titus Young spot on Lions' bench

Chris McCosky

First down
You'd think with the birth of a son and a name change to Titus Demetrius Young Sr. that he'd have shown a bit more restraint — especially after his hot temper put him in the doghouse with coaches and teammates last season.

Not so much.

At the end of the first half, as the St. Louis Rams were scoring on a 31-yard pick-six by Cortland Finnegan, Young got involved in a verbal joust with a couple of Rams players. One of them was rookie Janoris Jenkins, who was talking more than a rookie ought to throughout the game.

"He didn't do a smart thing," coach Jim Schwartz said of Young.

Young cost the Lions 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff when he head-butted Jenkins.

"We knew what was going to happen in some situations," Schwartz said, referring to some of the extra-curriculars of Jenkins and Finnegan. "He and a couple of guys were going back and forth, and the whole thing was right in front of me. It looked like he was going to do the right thing and walk away, but at the last second he turned and made a really dumb decision."

Young was benched for the start of the third quarter.

Second down
The Lions' John Wendling was as baffled as anybody when the Rams' big left tackle Rodger Saffold collapsed to the ground with 9:45 left in the game.

"I don't know what happened," Wendling said.

Saffold had hogtied Wendling, who was blitzing on a play in which the Rams scored — a 23-yard pass from Sam Bradford to Brandon Gibson. Saffold had both arms draped around Wendling's shoulders.

Then Saffold fell. There was no contact.

"I felt like he had control of me," Wendling said. "I didn't give him a real shot or anything. I hope he's all right."

Saffold was put on a stretcher, carted out of Ford Field and rushed to the hospital. The Rams said it was a neck injury.

"What I can report to you is that he was conscious," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "He was alert and he had strength and movement in his arms and legs. So I think this is more of a precautionary deal. There is a chance he will come home with us."

Third down
Fisher isn't the third-winningest active coach in the NFL for nothing. He knew the Lions' offense inside and out, and he knew that for his team to stay in contention, he was going to have to shorten the game in every way possible.

He did so on offense the conventional way, by giving the ball to running back Steven Jackson a ton and attacking the Lions' fierce pass rush with quick-release passes.

But Fisher did so with his defense, too.

"They played a bend-don't-break style trying not to give up big plays and trying to make us burn a lot of clock and to shorten the game," Schwartz said. "We fell into that (trap) a bit."

The Rams secondary played well off the line of scrimmage, forcing quarterback Matthew Stafford to either throw short or thread the needle into heavy coverage late. On the three Stafford interceptions, Jenkins, Finnegan and linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar all made perfect reads -- as if they knew what was coming.

"Just realizing when they come into the red zone, they don't have that many plays," said Jenkins, who perfectly read a back-shoulder pass to Tony Scheffler. "They like their big receivers, who are really good receivers, and they like that back-shoulder fade."

Fisher also made a smart move using his No. 3 cornerback Bradley Fletcher on Calvin Johnson. Fletcher had more size than Jenkins or Finnegan.

"That was the way we designed it, and I think he did a nice job," Fisher said. "We put him on Johnson knowing that he was going to get help at times and be in a rotation at times."

Johnson still managed six catches for 111 yards. He was only targeted seven times, though, which can be construed as a moral victory.

Fourth down
Had it not been for Stafford's late heroics, there would have been a lot of teeth-gnashing over two plays at the start of the fourth quarter that ultimately led to the Rams taking a 20-13 lead with 9:45 left.

Play one: Defensive tackle Corey Williams, who was stout all day, blasted Bradford from behind and forced a fumble. Justin Durant had a chance to fall on it or scoop it up at the Rams 8. He did neither, and the Rams recovered.

Play two: The Lions did force a punt, and rookie Johnny Hekker blasted a 57-yarder. Making it worse, Stefan Logan was tackled for a 6-yard loss and, the capper, rookie Jonte Green was called for holding.

So, instead of first-and-goal at the Rams 8, the Lions started at their own 8.

"Jonte, that was a rookie mistake there," Schwartz said. "They really flipped the field on us. At the time, that was a big play and we did a good job overcoming that. That had the potential to be a situation that cost us the game."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z265Ge80WO

I like Titus' potential as a receiver; but I'm already worn out and bored with the immaturity and the antics. Especially when we get whacked 15 yds for it.

We don't need this nonsense in Sundays game vs. the 49ers and if he actually gets better as a player, I suspect he'll just become more self absorbed and difficult to manage.

The "Young Sr." jersey is a fricken joke! Just more show boating and foolishness. I'm disappointed that they even allowed that to happen.

He needs to be benched for a whole game. Let him stay in Detroit and not even go to San Fran this weekend. Just make him a healthy scratch to get his attention.

I agree with the immaturity, but it wasn't the Lions who approved the jersey, he got approval from the league office. He did just have a son, Titus Young Jr., so it's a legal name change.

September 10th, 2012, 12:42 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Send him a message by leaving him behind in Detroit.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

September 10th, 2012, 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
We can't afford to not play our 2nd best WR in SF. Sorry, we just can't afford to do it. Send him a message another way. Fire a warning shot across the bow and suspend him without pay later in the year against a crappy team. To not play him against SF for taking one personal foul penalty is just plain silly.

September 10th, 2012, 12:52 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
We can't afford to not play our 2nd best WR in SF. Sorry, we just can't afford to do it. Send him a message another way. Fire a warning shot across the bow and suspend him without pay later in the year against a crappy team. To not play him against SF for taking one personal foul penalty is just plain silly.

You don't suspend him or fine him later for the incident that just occurred against St. Louis. He was benched for the beginning of the third quarter for it, so I have to feel like the coaches think that was enough. It probably could have been for longer if the Lions weren't in a close game.

I would suggest that if he does anything even remotely close to the boneheaded head butt, they pull him from the game, regardless of who they are playing and what the score is, and let him watch Ryan Broyles and Kasim Osgood play in his stead. Let Dominic Raiola b!tch him out right there on the sidelines in front of the fans and everybody, and if he walks away have Ndamukong Suh there to restrain him and hold him in place to listen to the tirade.

Titus needs to grow TFU. He's not as valuable to the team as he thinks he is, and his primadonna act has gotten old.

September 10th, 2012, 3:57 pm
Water Boy

We're on the cusp of being @ the next level...champions...and distractions plural like that can change the tide..and turn what should be something great into....welllllll ... but i'm not worried

September 13th, 2012, 12:21 pm
RIP Killer

lionsfan1980 wrote:
We're on the cusp of being @ the next level...champions...and distractions plural like that can change the tide..and turn what should be something great into....welllllll ... but i'm not worried

Welcome to Lionbacker lionsfan1980 (ah, a good year since we drafted Billy)!

September 13th, 2012, 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

You don't suspend him or fine him later for the incident that just occurred against St. Louis. He was benched for the beginning of the third quarter for it, so I have to feel like the coaches think that was enough. It probably could have been for longer if the Lions weren't in a close game.

I would suggest that if he does anything even remotely close to the boneheaded head butt, they pull him from the game, regardless of who they are playing and what the score is, and let him watch Ryan Broyles and Kasim Osgood play in his stead. Let Dominic Raiola b!tch him out right there on the sidelines in front of the fans and everybody, and if he walks away have Ndamukong Suh there to restrain him and hold him in place to listen to the tirade.

Titus needs to grow TFU. He's not as valuable to the team as he thinks he is, and his primadonna act has gotten old.

Not just pull him out of the game, but embarrass him and make him go to the showers, al la what Singletary did to Vernon Davis a few years ago. He has to know that his childish antics are not going to be tolerated.

September 13th, 2012, 4:18 pm
League MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:

yes they can. he hurts them more than he helps. he runs the wrong routes and they get picked, he gets terrible penalties at stupid times. if you factor that he s probably there 4th best WR and they have a viable prospect in Patrick Edwards on the PS as well.

September 13th, 2012, 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]