View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 17th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 future salary cap problems 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post future salary cap problems
This post is about the LONG term roster outlook of the team and concerns the three cornerstones, Matthew, Calvin, and suh. Stafford's contract is 50m guaranteed, and I'm assuming suhs contract is very close to that number. In light of calvins new Mega contract, how difficult is it going to be to keep these three players together and field a talented roster outside of them?

June 8th, 2012, 2:13 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: future salary cap problems
All is well for this year and next. As of 2014, the new TV contracts take effect. And the Salary cap is expect to grow by upwards of $30M for the 2014 Cap from what I have heard.

So, if the Lions use that money wisely, ( I.E. use it to give 5 players a 1 time $6M roster bonus due at the signing of a new contract, we can get away from Signing Bonuses that haunt you for the duration of a contract. )

If we only have 3 players that we have to get resigned, each of them can get a 1 time $10M roster bonus.

As we sign more players to new contracts that don't have signing bonuses, the $30M will grow by the amount of the signing bonus from every expiring contract.

I am not sure, and I am too lazy to look it up, but, I believe that somewhere around 60% of our salary cap each year is taken up from nothing more than signing bonuses.

Use that 60% in the form of a 1 time roster bonuses, and we will have that much EVERY YEAR to divide between every player that needs to be resigned.

It will act the same as a signing bonus in effect. They get a huge sum of money up front at the time of the signing. But, with it being a ROSTER Bonus, it only counts against the cap 1 time. Not, every year.

Anyway, If we keep using signing bonuses, we will eventually run into cap hell. It isn't a sustainable venture to keep all but 1% of the cap locked up in salary and Signing bonus.

If we convert to Roster bonuses instead, all will be fine.

June 8th, 2012, 2:31 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Quote:
It will act the same as a signing bonus in effect. They get a huge sum of money up front at the time of the signing. But, with it being a ROSTER Bonus, it only counts against the cap 1 time. Not, every year.

dont think thats true billy. The signing bonus's still get pro rated throughout the contract. it does effect the cap differently than a salary, but it stiill effects every year of the contract.

If what you were saying were true the cowbys and redskins would scoop up every decent free agent every year.

June 8th, 2012, 3:40 pm
Hall of Fame Player

regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:

dont think thats true billy. The signing bonus's still get pro rated throughout the contract. it does effect the cap differently than a salary, but it stiill effects every year of the contract.

If what you were saying were true the cowbys and redskins would scoop up every decent free agent every year.

Signing Bonuses get pro rated. Roster Bonuses do not. It's the pro rating that I want the Lions to get away from. Instead, give that money out in a 1 time Bonus. Roster/workout/I stayed out of jail bonus. I don't care. Just avoid Signing bonuses.

June 8th, 2012, 3:48 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:

Signing Bonuses get pro rated. Roster Bonuses do not. It's the pro rating that I want the Lions to get away from. Instead, give that money out in a 1 time Bonus. Roster/workout/I stayed out of jail bonus. I don't care. Just avoid Signing bonuses.

Why avoid signing bonus? Those get prorated, so as the cap grows each season the signing bonus hurts less and less. It is the increase in the players salary year over year that usually starts to cut into the cap and hurt us. And as such, that is why the Lions have been modifying players contracts so that their inflated salary is paid out as a bonus so it can be spread out over the existing years of the deal.

I suspect that the Lions have things about as well under control as they can given the circumstances. The team can't get away from the signing bonus for big name players. If they were still a struggling team, I could see limiting those. But with the Lions on the cusp of being a serious SB contender, they just can't get away from that guaranteed money to lock up their big players.

June 9th, 2012, 10:05 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Quote:

Why avoid signing bonus? Those get prorated, so as the cap grows each season the signing bonus hurts less and less. It is the increase in the players salary year over year that usually starts to cut into the cap and hurt us. And as such, that is why the Lions have been modifying players contracts so that their inflated salary is paid out as a bonus so it can be spread out over the existing years of the deal.

I suspect that the Lions have things about as well under control as they can given the circumstances. The team can't get away from the signing bonus for big name players. If they were still a struggling team, I could see limiting those. But with the Lions on the cusp of being a serious SB contender, they just can't get away from that guaranteed money to lock up their big players.

It is all those signing bonuses that count against the cap EVERY SINGLE YEAR, (Caps for emphasis, not yelling ), that make it impossible to trade players, and sign that 1 big time free agent.

If I am right about signing bonuses taking up about 60% of the cap EVERY YEAR.

With a, ( I'll just use $100M for ease of use ), $100M cap, $60Million is Signing bonus money that is already locked in years ahead of time, even if you cut the player a year or two before their contract expires.

With a 1 time roster bonus instead of a signing bonus, The salary structure of the team could be set up with $50M being yearly salaries and $50M being used as 1 time roster bonuses. The roster bonus money would be available to use EVERY YEAR. Imagine the possibilities with $50M available EVERY YEAR. And I low balled what the cap actually is and will be.

Reasonably, every year, we would have 3 players that we need to resign. More in some years/less in other years.

June 9th, 2012, 10:47 am
RIP Killer

Well Billy, hate to break the news to you, but signing bonus money does not seem to account for 60% of the overall cap. According to NetRat, who is just as knowledgable as Sly, if not moreso, when it comes to this, the Lions are paying out nearly $86M in salary, and about $46.5M in bonus money all together. $36M is in prorated signing bonus money, and about $10.5M is in other bonus money. All of this is figured before the Lions draft picks were signed, so the numbers would increase in that regard. However, it would increase for both salary and bonus money.

And one of the other things you are missing is that if a player is cut, the bonus money that is prorated is usually considered "dead money" against the cap for the following season alone, and is not spread out over the remaining seasons. Mistakes are made, at times, and bonus money is given to players who don't earn it. It happens to every single team. I know of no team that doesn't have at least some dead money counted against their cap due to prorated bonus for players that are cut.

I understand what you are driving at though. But players want that security of the big bonus money, and it is better for the team to be able to spread that out rather than take a one time hit. If the team is unwilling to pay out that money, the players simply won't come here. And giving them a one time HUGE roster bonus limits the number of good free agents you can sign in the off-season.

The biggest bonus money tied up for the Lions right now is among just three players. Calvin, Stafford and Suh. Suh's bonus money is over $9.2M for 2012, Calvins is about the same, and Stafford's bonus money is $9.6M. That means they account for $28M of that $46.5M when you add the signing bonus to the other bonus money I show above.

I don't think the Lions are overdoing it with the bonus money.

EDITED TO ADD: And don't forget, the reason that Stafford and Suh have such big bonus hits is because the Lions reworked their contracts so that they could reduce the cap hit this season in order to give Calvin a new deal and be able to afford the Franchise number on Cliff.

June 10th, 2012, 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]