View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 2nd, 2014, 12:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sean Jones 
Team MVP

Post Re: Sean Jones
allenslions wrote:
lets see ronnell will be an end in our system and has been looking very good there.he has alot of speed coming off that corner and thats why i think eb is gonna have to blow the socks off the coaches in the preseason if he even has a chance of beating him out.as for tahir i wasnt quite sure about him being able to make the transition to the 4-3 outside backer spot but man has he proved me so wrong.i see him getting alot of playing time as the nickle backer this season.and as for travis well all the starters better watch there asses cause he is a special player with a big chip on his shoulder.he may have run a slow 40 but you would never know it the way he flies around out there and he is so darned instinctive its like he was in the offensive huddle.just watching these kids i agree with the rest of the staff in that this could be there best draft class so far.also gunny has installed two completely new formations to try out in the preseason.1 the elephant formation that has suh and fairley lined up as ends and hill and williams inside.and a 3-4 formation that again has suh and fairley on the ends and hill in the middle and tulloch and levy as the inside backers. as for the outside backers gunny kinda thru a bunch of guys out there.thats all for know

I was wondering if they'd ever try Suh/Fairley at the DEs, so im definetly liking that. I think Fairley staying healthy is gonna be a key part this season.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 10th, 2012, 1:54 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
allenslions wrote:
lets see ronnell will be an end in our system and has been looking very good there.he has alot of speed coming off that corner and thats why i think eb is gonna have to blow the socks off the coaches in the preseason if he even has a chance of beating him out.as for tahir i wasnt quite sure about him being able to make the transition to the 4-3 outside backer spot but man has he proved me so wrong.i see him getting alot of playing time as the nickle backer this season.and as for travis well all the starters better watch there asses cause he is a special player with a big chip on his shoulder.he may have run a slow 40 but you would never know it the way he flies around out there and he is so darned instinctive its like he was in the offensive huddle.just watching these kids i agree with the rest of the staff in that this could be there best draft class so far.also gunny has installed two completely new formations to try out in the preseason.1 the elephant formation that has suh and fairley lined up as ends and hill and williams inside.and a 3-4 formation that again has suh and fairley on the ends and hill in the middle and tulloch and levy as the inside backers. as for the outside backers gunny kinda thru a bunch of guys out there.thats all for know

I was wondering if they'd ever try Suh/Fairley at the DEs, so im definetly liking that. I think Fairley staying healthy is gonna be a key part this season.

Crazy that I was just thinking about that. We have enough DT's, why not have Vanden Bosch/Willie Young/LoJack at RE and Fairley/Suh at LE, and Fairley/Suh and Corey Williams/Sammie Hill at DT, which would make it much easier to replace Avril and maintain a great defensive line?

And a 3-4 would work pretty good. What if we had Suh/Lo Jack at LE, Sammie Hill/Vanden Bosch at DT, and Fairley/Willie Young at RE, which means we'd cut Corey Williams and Avril, clearing up $15 million in cap space to get 1 or 2 good linebackers and a good FA cornerback.

Last edited by Shotty on July 10th, 2012, 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

July 10th, 2012, 2:33 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
allenslions wrote:

July 10th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
allenslions wrote:

Crazy that I was just thinking about that. We have enough DT's, why not have Vanden Bosch/Willie Young/LoJack at RE and Fairley/Suh at LE, and Fairley/Suh and Corey Williams/Sammie Hill at DT, which would make it much easier to replace Avril and maintain a great defensive line?

And a 3-4 would work pretty good. What if we had Suh/Lo Jack at LE, Sammie Hill/Vanden Bosch at DT, and Fairley/Willie Young at RE, which means we'd cut Corey Williams and Avril, clearing up $15 million in cap space to get 1 or 2 good linebackers and a good FA cornerback.

Im not so sure Id want KVB at DT in a 3-4.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 10th, 2012, 3:33 pm
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
allenslions wrote:

First off, they don't have to concern themselves with replacing Avril this season. They aren't going to release him, and if they don't get the long term deal done, he's going to play here on the franchise tender. Bank on it.

Second, the Lions aren't going to transition to a 34 full time. They simply don't have all the pieces to make it happen. However, using a 34 alignment from time to time would be a great thing to throw opposing QBs off their game.

Third, the idea that Vandenbosch can play DT at all is not going to work. He isn't much bigger than Avril, and asking him to make a position change this late in his career would be met with push back, even though he is a team first kind of guy. Willie Young can't play DE in a 34 alignment, he'd be better suited to move to OLB, as would Avril and Ronnell Lewis. Everette Brown and Lawrence Jackson would essentially be in no man's land, since they don't have the physical make up for either a 34 DE or 34 OLB.

Right now we have four really good DTs on the roster in Hill, Williams, Suh and Fairley. Andre Fluellen has been the swing DT/DE for the past few years, but I think he'll be cut in favor of the team keeping an extra DE. I could be wrong there. DEs will be KVB, Avril, LoJack and Young. Lewis will likely be kept in place of Fluellen. If any DE gets cut, it's probably gonna be LoJack first, even before Lewis. But he's our best run stopping DE, so I don't think LoJack is going anywhere.

If you cut Williams and Avril, you've committed yourself to running the 34 full time, and that's not going to happen on Gunner/Schwartz's watch.

July 10th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Butkus Award Winner

m2karateman wrote:
Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
allenslions wrote:

First off, they don't have to concern themselves with replacing Avril this season. They aren't going to release him, and if they don't get the long term deal done, he's going to play here on the franchise tender. Bank on it.

Second, the Lions aren't going to transition to a 34 full time. They simply don't have all the pieces to make it happen. However, using a 34 alignment from time to time would be a great thing to throw opposing QBs off their game.

Third, the idea that Vandenbosch can play DT at all is not going to work. He isn't much bigger than Avril, and asking him to make a position change this late in his career would be met with push back, even though he is a team first kind of guy. Willie Young can't play DE in a 34 alignment, he'd be better suited to move to OLB, as would Avril and Ronnell Lewis. Everette Brown and Lawrence Jackson would essentially be in no man's land, since they don't have the physical make up for either a 34 DE or 34 OLB.

Right now we have four really good DTs on the roster in Hill, Williams, Suh and Fairley. Andre Fluellen has been the swing DT/DE for the past few years, but I think he'll be cut in favor of the team keeping an extra DE. I could be wrong there. DEs will be KVB, Avril, LoJack and Young. Lewis will likely be kept in place of Fluellen. If any DE gets cut, it's probably gonna be LoJack first, even before Lewis. But he's our best run stopping DE, so I don't think LoJack is going anywhere.

If you cut Williams and Avril, you've committed yourself to running the 34 full time, and that's not going to happen on Gunner/Schwartz's watch.

Just a thought, he said they would test a 3-4 defense in preseason games, so I just threw out a few changes if it ever happened. I personally hope it doesn't, our defense is too based around the 4-3 to switch now, and we'd need many replacements to switch to a 3-4, and don't even have a 4th linebacker to run it. Maybe Ronnell Lewis will fill in as the 2nd MLB? Who knows, it would be nice to use it on 1st-2nd downs occasionally.

July 10th, 2012, 4:49 pm
Varsity Captain

guys these formations are just wrinkles there adding in the preseason.we may see them once or twice during the regular season if a situation calls for it.or gunny may not like it during the preseason and toss the idea all together .we will have to see.but in no way are we changing are base 4-3.

July 10th, 2012, 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2